Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Percpetion

A comment on the idea that perception of sound is an emergent property
and not reducible to perception of test tones or snippets.

As a composer, I've discovered that my brain can sense a pattern before
I consciously understand that pattern. It might be that I enjoy some
music, then go to analyze it and find some simple underlying pattern.
I'm also playing algorithmic music right now, in which I creates music
based on mathematical patterns, not sure what it is going to sound
like, and sometime upon hearing it, I sense clear theme and unity,
although there is nothing concrete to point to.

Take rhythm. If you tested people on their ability to detect regular
and irregular rhythm... let's say we beat a drum on quarter notes, and
each beat could be a little off (a little early or late). We do an
experiment to measure the limits of what people can detect. Say, it has
to be 10 ms off before they can detect an irregularity.

Now have a drummer play music on that drum. Have him shade and inflect
the music by the way he plays, including slight timing variation.

Now the timing various will *not be heard as timing variation*, it will
be heard as *musical expression*

The experience of musicians strongly suggests that first experiment
doesn't have much of a relation to the second, and very likely, the
listener would be sensitive to details which are actually smaller than
10 ms.

To summarize: there are many ways we become aware of a pattern out in
the world, and not always through direct conscious apprehension. It
stands to reason that the limits on perception would be dependent on
the situation.

I think this idea could use some rigorous investigation, and it seems
that nothing like this as been done before. There appear to be no
experiments about the ear's performance which attempt to use subject as
a whole person. Or if there are any, I'd like to know about them.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn

[...]

Mike, you once again bring up highly interesting points. May I point
you to a scholarly journal that I'm just starting to get into: The
Journal of Music Perception
http://www.ucpress.edu/journals/mp/
I read it at a university library. Very interesting stuff, in my view.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Jenn wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the pointer.

By the way, I wrote that post in the middle of the night when I
couldn't sleep but had just taken a sleeping pill. I was somewhat
horrified to see the grammatical and spelling errors when I looked at
it again this morning.

In any case, to summarize:

It's my assertion that the performance of the ear/brain system cannot
be usefully gauged in a bottom-up, piecemeal fashion that ignores what
we know about the perception of music as a whole. I will look at this
journal. I can bet you right now that almost every article in this
journal will imply a model of the ear/brain system, from which
listening protocols could be suggested. Quick-switch testing operates
in ignorance of these models.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Buster Mudd wrote:
wrote:

Take rhythm. If you tested people on their ability to detect regular
and irregular rhythm... let's say we beat a drum on quarter notes, and
each beat could be a little off (a little early or late). We do an
experiment to measure the limits of what people can detect. Say, it has
to be 10 ms off before they can detect an irregularity.

Now have a drummer play music on that drum. Have him shade and inflect
the music by the way he plays, including slight timing variation.

Now the timing various will *not be heard as timing variation*, it will
be heard as *musical expression*

The experience of musicians strongly suggests that first experiment
doesn't have much of a relation to the second

Whoa, time out. I'm afraid I must disagree vociferously with your
conclusions.

Some musicians are more sensetive to timing variations than others.
Regardless of how much nuance -- shading, inflection, musical
expression [sic] -- the drummer puts on a pattern, some listeners will
hear those timing variations and be able to identify them as such. Some
sensetive (and experienced) musicians will even be able to point out
that shading, inflection et al are being achieved *via* timing
variations.

The point of my post was not to strictly categorize and
compartmentalize listening experiences. You rightly point out that
there is a whole spectrum of listening intentions. The point is that
there is no reason to suppose that the limit of human sensitivity from
one situation applies to another situation.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jonrkc

"There appear to be no experiments about the ear's performance which
attempt to use subject as
a whole person. Or if there are any, I'd like to know about them."
--Michaelmos

I'm an amateur musician (classical guitar; formerly piano and
harpsichord also) who attends lots of classical, unamplified, concerts
and recitals.

For many years (I'm also 65 years old...), I enjoyed listening to LP's
on my stereo system which has generally been decent and remains so.
When CD's were introduced, I embraced them but soon was noticing that
my listening enjoyment had markedly declined. Eventually it reached
the point that I hardly listened to recorded music any more. These
days, when I do listen to CD's, I have to stop after an hour or so
because I'm feeling so uncomfortable--with a feeling akin to growing
anxiety. I also have always noticed, except on a very few CD's, a
harshness in the sound, mainly when listening with speakers, but also
to a lesser extent with headphone use.

During these post-CD years, my collection of approx. 800 LP's, mainly
classical with some jazz and other genres, had literally gathered dust.
There have been whole years in which I probably did not listen to one
LP.

Recently I decided to give my LP's another go, and behold: I can listen
for hours, with either speakers or headphones, and experience something
close to what I experience when I hear my own live music, or the music
at an (unamplified) concert.

I realize that there's a longstanding a fiercely partisan debate about
the relative accuracy or authenticity of digital versus analog sound.
I can report that analog sound, for me as one accustomed to hearing
live unamplified music virtually daily, is closer to the living
experience than digital reproduction, and that analog sound does not
create uneasiness in me, while digital reproduction on similar-level
equipment, does.

I hope this doesn't sound off-topic; I think it's germane to this
thread because nobody has succeeded yet in demonstrating why people
react differently to different modes of sound reproduction. I believe
this is truly a case where there needs to be consideration of "the
ear's performance" with regard to "the subject as a whole person."
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

jonrkc wrote:
[...]

I agree with you that it is closer to the living experience. I think
the most rational explanation for this is that it better conveys the
patterns on which we base our experience of music (whatever patterns
correspond to "grooviness" or "sadness" or so on). Could it be the
distortion inherent to analog that makes it more lifelike? I doubt it,
since life is itself a huge variety of "colors" which weave themselves
into complex patterns.. it's hard to see how imposing a single
coloration on life would make it more lifelike. In fact, in my
experience the distortions inherent to analog tape or vinyl TAKE AWAY
from the lifelikeness.. but it is so much better to begin with that it
ends up better anyway.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Buster Mudd

Or, allow me to offer a completely different theory, one which has
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the "sound" of the media:

The reason listening to LPs for hours on end is more "engaging" is
because, unless you have some ancient BSR record changer, you've got to
PARTICIPATE in the act. You have to get up and go flip the record every
15-20 minutes. There's not nearly enough time for you to get comfy
and/or relaxed and/or bored and/or antsy etc. Your attention *has* to
be focussed on the music or else it'll end and then you'll find
yourself listening to "sccrrritchhh, sccrrritchhh, sccrrritchhh,
sccrrritchhh..."

I've often advocated a 40 minute maximum per CD, with 10-15 seconds of
silence after the 20 minute mark. I think the *pacing* of an LP is
(through sheer coincidence) physiologically ideal, and the urge to cram
more and more music onto a single CD just defeats the goal of inviting
the listener in to a concise sound world...regardless of what that
world sounds like.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dennis Moore

Don't know how much it matters. But I do agree your idea has something
to do with it. 20 minute sides were just about perfect.

Tom Petty on "Full Moon Fever" did record a 40'ish minute CD.
Halfway through it, he put in some swishing noise, and announced
in deference to people with cassette/LP we would allow time for
other people to flip the tape or turnover the LP. Then continued
with the second half of his CD.

I also find I sometimes skip just enough music so I end up with
30-40 minute sessions per CD. Guess if I could program in a pause,
that I would have to re-activate would be even better.

Dennis

"Buster Mudd" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jonrkc

An observation, and a pet theory that's nagged at me for a long time:

1. A black-and-white photo (or movie) often conveys stronger emotion
than a color photo or movie. (Remember film buffs' outcry against
"Colorizing" b&w movies?) The absence of color focuses the viewer's
mind more forcefully on pattern and emotion than a color version could.

2. I've thought for years that the sampling rate in analog recording
is in effect much higher than that of digital recording. This is, I
suppose, scientifically untenable. But regardless of rate, isn't the
"sampling" in analog media much more of a random process than digital
sampling? The irregular structure of a magnetic layer and the
molecular structure of vinyl both impose an element of randomness and
variety lacking to digital media with their unvarying regularity--a
regularity without which digital media could not exist.

In any pleasurable pursuit, humans seek variety as antidote to boredom
and burnout. Why should it be different for listening to music? I
suggest that the tedious regularity of digital recording and
reproduction may in fact be subconsciously perceived and contribute to,
if not cause, the sense of uneasiness and eventual fatigue experienced
by many listeners, in particular musicians.

The notion of a 40-minute time limit is apt. Almost never does one
experience music for even that long at a stretch at a concert--a
classical concert, anyway. Even most operas don't subject the listener
to paying attention for that long at a time. And I readily admit I've
been perturbed since the introduction of the CD by my inability to
participate actively in the "music-making," e. g. by cleaning records,
untangling cassette snarls, tweaking stylus overhang or anti-skating,
etc. It seems almost an insult for the "music" industry to tell me in
effect to put the CD in the player, shut up, and listen--till the
product disintegrates after a few years, that is, which has happened
with two or three of my CD's already, while my vinyl remains perfectly
playable after fifty years of sub-ideal storage.

I have many recordings on CD that I wish were on LP instead.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

jonrkc wrote:
An observation, and a pet theory that's nagged at me for a long time:

1. A black-and-white photo (or movie) often conveys stronger emotion
than a color photo or movie. (Remember film buffs' outcry against
"Colorizing" b&w movies?) The absence of color focuses the viewer's
mind more forcefully on pattern and emotion than a color version could.

This is an interesting line of thought. I've thought about this,
too--for example, could a distortion somehow work to better convey the
emotion or intention of the musician?

There are several difficulties. One is that analog distortion acts more
to "color" than to strip color. A better question might be: can you
convey the emotion better by tinting a photograph red?

Well, yes, *for some photographs.* For others, red might be all wrong,
and green work better.

The difficulty is that analog distortion is the same mechanism
regardless of what type of music is playing, what mood it conveys, and
so on. And yet many musicians, who are intimately familiar with how the
"colors" of sound are layered to create a specific musical intention,
report that analog is superior in *all* or nearly all music.

The other problem is that if the question were how a distortion
*improves* the art (as opposed to making it more realistic), then a
reproduction might be favored over the live experience. Among the
population of experienced musicians that interests me, that simply
doesn't happen. Reproducing music *never* improves it.

However, if you want to keep discussing this.. the question of how
distortions create a subjective effect.. I'm very interested.

[...]

I predict that you will get sternly lectured to about digital signal
theory. The only point I will make here is to suggest that life
never operates strictly within the bounds of our theories about it.

I think that analog more accurately reproduces certain patterns in the
music, for whatever reason. It sounds more like live because it *is*
more like live.

The notion of a 40-minute time limit is apt. Almost never does one
experience music for even that long at a stretch at a concert--a
classical concert, anyway. Even most operas don't subject the listener
to paying attention for that long at a time.

I just take a break from listening to CD whenever I need one. It hasn't
improved CD relative to analog.

And I readily admit I've
been perturbed since the introduction of the CD by my inability to
participate actively in the "music-making," e. g. by cleaning records,
untangling cassette snarls, tweaking stylus overhang or anti-skating,
etc. It seems almost an insult for the "music" industry to tell me in
effect to put the CD in the player, shut up, and listen--till the
product disintegrates after a few years, that is, which has happened
with two or three of my CD's already, while my vinyl remains perfectly
playable after fifty years of sub-ideal storage.

I have many recordings on CD that I wish were on LP instead.

Agreed.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Buster Mudd

jonrkc wrote:

I've thought for years that the sampling rate in analog recording
is in effect much higher than that of digital recording. This is, I
suppose, scientifically untenable.

You are correct: that *is* scientifically untenable.

But regardless of rate, isn't the
"sampling" in analog media much more of a random process than digital
sampling? The irregular structure of a magnetic layer and the
molecular structure of vinyl both impose an element of randomness and
variety lacking to digital media with their unvarying regularity--a
regularity without which digital media could not exist.

If, for the sake of arguement, we try to go along with your
scientifically untenable theory, it breaks down right here. Claiming
that the "molecular structure of vinyl (imposes) an element of
randomness and variety lacking to digital media" conveniently ignores
the fact that ALL digital media has a molecular structure that is just
as "random" [sic] as that of vinyl.

I can understand how you might think the random distribution of
magnetic domains on a piece of audio tape might equate with a
non-regular sampling -- though, considering each magnetic particle is
approximately 0.5 micrometers & tape speed is anywhere from 2 to 30
ips, it doesn't take a whole lot of math to figure out that "sampling
rate" isn't anything to get too excited about -- but the molecular
thing doesn't fly. EVERYTHING is made of molecules!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung

wrote:

jonrkc wrote:
[...]

So, can you share with us how many musicians you have surveyed, and how
many of those prefer vinyl vs how many prefer CD/digital? Some data
instead of vague handwaving would be nice.

The other problem is that if the question were how a distortion
*improves* the art (as opposed to making it more realistic), then a
reproduction might be favored over the live experience. Among the
population of experienced musicians that interests me, that simply
doesn't happen. Reproducing music *never* improves it.

How many musicians have you surveyed that say a CD does or does not
sound better than listening to the same performance in the concert hall
(with ambient noise, distractions and the non-ideal listening
positions)? Some data instead of vague hand-waving would be nice.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

jonrkc wrote:
2. I've thought for years that the sampling rate in analog recording
is in effect much higher than that of digital recording. This is, I
suppose, scientifically untenable.

INdeed it is scientifically untenable, as first demonstrated by
Nyquist over 75 years ago and thoroughly demonstrated by
Shannon over a half century ago.

The *effective" sampling rate of ANY information channel is
effectively slightly over twice the bandwidth of that channel.

But regardless of rate, isn't the
"sampling" in analog media much more of a random process than digital
sampling? The irregular structure of a magnetic layer and the
molecular structure of vinyl both impose an element of randomness and
variety lacking to digital media with their unvarying regularity--a
regularity without which digital media could not exist.

The difference being that a random process generates artifacts
that are not correlated with the signal, and that is EXACTLY the
reason behind the dithering process. It, in fact, randomizes the
errors in the same fashion as the random processes in magnetic
tape, the major difference then being quantitative and no longer
qualitative., in the sense that the random errors are typically an
order of magnitude lower in current digital end-user delivery
systems as compared to the best current analog end-user delivery
systems.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

jonrkc wrote:
An observation, and a pet theory that's nagged at me for a long time:

1. A black-and-white photo (or movie) often conveys stronger emotion
than a color photo or movie. (Remember film buffs' outcry against
"Colorizing" b&w movies?) The absence of color focuses the viewer's
mind more forcefully on pattern and emotion than a color version could.

2. I've thought for years that the sampling rate in analog recording
is in effect much higher than that of digital recording. This is, I
suppose, scientifically untenable. But regardless of rate, isn't the
"sampling" in analog media much more of a random process than digital
sampling? The irregular structure of a magnetic layer and the
molecular structure of vinyl both impose an element of randomness and
variety lacking to digital media with their unvarying regularity--a
regularity without which digital media could not exist.

As so often happens, you have valid analogies. Some engineers will
probably jump on you for not expressing these in their own language;
however, that is a very narrow view on their part. There's a lot about
analog which provides variation

- variation in cartridge alignment from beginning to end of the record

- wow and flutter

- signal-dependent distortion mechanisms and noise

It's an interesting theory that variation of any sort would make a
recording more musical. The basic problem is that live music has the
things we love about music the clearest of all; when distortion = 0,
the music is best. However, I value the kind of thinking you are
doing.. trying to make a direct correlation between forms of distortion
and aesthetic experience, rather than using "distortion can sound
pleasing" as a catch-all explanation for anything a listener reports.

Mike

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
jonrkc wrote:
An observation, and a pet theory that's nagged at me for a long time:

1. A black-and-white photo (or movie) often conveys stronger emotion
than a color photo or movie. (Remember film buffs' outcry against
"Colorizing" b&w movies?) The absence of color focuses the viewer's
mind more forcefully on pattern and emotion than a color version could.

This is an interesting line of thought. I've thought about this,
too--for example, could a distortion somehow work to better convey the
emotion or intention of the musician?

There are several difficulties. One is that analog distortion acts more
to "color" than to strip color.

be careful. In photography "color' is a literal term in audio it is
figurative. I wouldn't assume that "colorations" in audio are the same
as more "color" in film.

A better question might be: can you
convey the emotion better by tinting a photograph red?

In some cases most definitely, but this is an artistic decision. This
is more analagous to what artists do in recording than what the
equipment does.

Well, yes, *for some photographs.* For others, red might be all wrong,
and green work better.

The difficulty is that analog distortion is the same mechanism
regardless of what type of music is playing, what mood it conveys, and
so on.

Well, actually no. There is more than one kind of analog distortion and
of the many distortions several can be varied within their type of
distortion.

And yet many musicians, who are intimately familiar with how the
"colors" of sound are layered to create a specific musical intention,
report that analog is superior in *all* or nearly all music.

This could the caused by an inherent distortion compensating for
another inherent distortion in stereo recording and playback. Rather
than a specific variable distortion that can be found in analog
technology.

The other problem is that if the question were how a distortion
*improves* the art (as opposed to making it more realistic), then a
reproduction might be favored over the live experience. Among the
population of experienced musicians that interests me, that simply
doesn't happen. Reproducing music *never* improves it.

It certainly can in pop music. Rare is the pop artist that can even
come close to the recorded quality of his or her or their music in a
live situation.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jonrkc

However, I value the kind of thinking you are
doing.. trying to make a direct correlation between forms of distortion
and aesthetic experience, rather than using "distortion can sound
pleasing" as a catch-all explanation for anything a listener reports.

Thanks. I also thank those who chastised me for my unscientific
theory, for doing it so civilly despite how such non-tech layman's
woolgathering must grate on many scientific nerves.

The fact is, I have been a musician, albeit an amateur musician, for
over fifty years, and I'm speaking out of what I have experienced
through a tremendous amount of listening to live, unamplified music
over more than a half century. To my ears, analog reproduction sounds
better than almost any digital reproduction I've heard yet. This
listening has been done on less-than-SOA equipment, as I neither
possess vast amounts of money, nor do my socializing in
above-moderate-income circles. Most of it has been done, though, on
equipment better than the average US citizen employs to listen to music
of any kind.

As for distortion's role, it makes no difference to me if distortion is
responsible for greater pleasure; I will vote for greater pleasure over
supposed accuracy every time. But the key phrase in Michaelmos's post
of Jan. 26 is: "when distortion = 0, the music is best." This seems at
first glance to be so self-evident as to be tautological. But it's
actually a subtle concept. To pursue the goal of accurate reproduction
pretty much requires an attitude of: "That didn't work so well; so
let's try..." in regard to everything from microphone selection and
placement to the most finicky (and some would say superstitious)
details of listening-room and equipment setup. But every time one
tries something new, a new artifact is added to the agglomeration. To
take away distortion by adding to the chain seems so futile as to
amount to a losing battle. When I crave "zero distortion," I turn off
the music system and get out my guitar, or head for the concert hall.

The notion that many musicians share my uneasy feeling while listening
to digital recordings is of course presented anecdotally, based on
articles I've read here and there. I wish it could be supported by a
thorough survey.

I would dearly love to see a study in which laypersons with no musical
training, but a love of music; amateur musicians; students and teachers
of music from conservatories; and professional musicians who make their
living playing and singing, could listen to various analog and digital
setups under conditions as controlled as feasible, without knowing what
kind of playback they are hearing, and respond to questions about their
listening experience.

But would anybody wish to--or dare--finance such a study, even if it
were practical?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

jonrkc wrote:
An observation, and a pet theory that's nagged at me for a long time:

1. A black-and-white photo (or movie) often conveys stronger emotion
than a color photo or movie. (Remember film buffs' outcry against
"Colorizing" b&w movies?) The absence of color focuses the viewer's
mind more forcefully on pattern and emotion than a color version could.

This is an interesting line of thought. I've thought about this,
too--for example, could a distortion somehow work to better convey the
emotion or intention of the musician?

There are several difficulties. One is that analog distortion acts more
to "color" than to strip color.

be careful. In photography "color' is a literal term in audio it is
figurative. I wouldn't assume that "colorations" in audio are the same
as more "color" in film.

Of course. In talking about the conscious experience of music, all we
have at present are analogies. Even an engineering-oriented person such
as Pinkerton tries to explain the preference for analog as the vague
metaphor "whiter than white" (*) which also has nothing to do with the
experience of someone like Jenn or myself.

The word "coloration" in audio is a good metaphor, though, because it
refers to some characterisic that seems imposed on the music and
independent of the music itself.

(*) From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 22 Oct 2005 17:08:45 GMT
Subject: Heaven!

A better question might be: can you
convey the emotion better by tinting a photograph red?

In some cases most definitely, but this is an artistic decision. This
is more analagous to what artists do in recording than what the
equipment does.

Exactly. Those who propose that distortion is responsible for the
consistent superiority of analog across a wide variety of styles and
performances are essentially claiming that the *equipment* is making an
artistic decision. Seem likely?

Well, yes, *for some photographs.* For others, red might be all wrong,
and green work better.

The difficulty is that analog distortion is the same mechanism
regardless of what type of music is playing, what mood it conveys, and
so on.

Well, actually no. There is more than one kind of analog distortion and
of the many distortions several can be varied within their type of
distortion.

The point is that the distortion doesn't know bluegrass from a brass
quintet.

And yet many musicians, who are intimately familiar with how the
"colors" of sound are layered to create a specific musical intention,
report that analog is superior in *all* or nearly all music.

This could the caused by an inherent distortion compensating for
another inherent distortion in stereo recording and playback. Rather
than a specific variable distortion that can be found in analog
technology.

I agree, but a live microphone feed is better than any recorded signal.
In fact, even among analog enthusiasts, there is always a priority on
reducing distortion as much as possible. I'm not aware of a single
experiment which showed that adding distortion made a reproduction
closer to the original (I've heard there are experiments showing
distortion was vaguely "pleasing" in contexts where no one had any idea
what the original sounded like). As you might notice, the design push
among those who have a very clear idea of the original acoustic event
is always toward less distortion. There is some software, or the cheap
tube mic preamps, which claim to use distortion to "sweeten up" a
recording, but they admit right up front they aren't trying to
reproduce accurately but actually change it.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

jonrkc wrote:

I would dearly love to see a study in which laypersons with no musical
training, but a love of music; amateur musicians; students and teachers
of music from conservatories; and professional musicians who make their
living playing and singing, could listen to various analog and digital
setups under conditions as controlled as feasible, without knowing what
kind of playback they are hearing, and respond to questions about their
listening experience.

This isn't quite what you had in mind, but you have to start here
before you can proceed further:

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/ba...x_testing2.htm

IOW, if you're just comparing media, Redbook-resolution digital is
perfectly transparent to analog. In your proposed experiment above,
comparing an LP to a CD created from that LP would be futile. People
wouldn't hear a difference, and their responses to whatever questions
you asked them would essentially be random.

Of course, that's not what you're thinking of. What you're thinking of
is having them compare LP and CD versions of the same recording, just
as you have done in determining that analog sounds better to you. This
opens up a whole host of possible differences. There will be mastering
differences. There will be frequency-response differences. There will
be phase-related distortion in the LP playback. There will be speed
variations in the LP playback. Some low-level details may well be
emphasized on the LP due to the necessity of dynamic compression. Any
and all of these factors (as well as some others) may affect one's
preference for one recording over the other. But all of these factors
will vary, sometimes greatly, from recording to recording and/or from
system to system. So I'm not sure what your proposed experiment would
prove.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

jonrkc wrote:
However, I value the kind of thinking you are
doing.. trying to make a direct correlation between forms of distortion
and aesthetic experience, rather than using "distortion can sound
pleasing" as a catch-all explanation for anything a listener reports.

Thanks. I also thank those who chastised me for my unscientific
theory, for doing it so civilly despite how such non-tech layman's
woolgathering must grate on many scientific nerves.

The fact is, I have been a musician, albeit an amateur musician, for
over fifty years, and I'm speaking out of what I have experienced
through a tremendous amount of listening to live, unamplified music
over more than a half century. To my ears, analog reproduction sounds
better than almost any digital reproduction I've heard yet.

Some people would suggest that your experience is meaningless if it
wasn't done under controlled conditions. Their mistake is to forget
that humans perceive abstracted qualities. "The sound of a Bach
trombone" (or the sound of your guitar) is not something specific that
becomes meaningless when a microphone is moved a little bit, or the
dynamic levels change.. it is an abstract quality recognizable from
many perspectives. For example, there are many abstract qualities such
as the emotion conveyed in a musical line which are very clear in live
performance, clear in a live feed, still somewhat clear in analog, and
largely absent from digital. That's a significant observation in
itself, especially when its consistent.

Another common mistake you'll find here is to forget that music itself
comes into being under "non-controlled" conditions. Yo-Yo Ma learned to
play cello under "non-controlled" conditions.

The notion that many musicians share my uneasy feeling while listening
to digital recordings is of course presented anecdotally, based on
articles I've read here and there. I wish it could be supported by a
thorough survey.

It's supported by the fact that we run into them all the time.

I would dearly love to see a study in which laypersons with no musical
training, but a love of music; amateur musicians; students and teachers
of music from conservatories; and professional musicians who make their
living playing and singing, could listen to various analog and digital
setups under conditions as controlled as feasible, without knowing what
kind of playback they are hearing, and respond to questions about their
listening experience.

Great idea! I've been asking about studies like this, or *any* blind
study under normal listening conditions, and received ZERO reports.
Apparently they don't exist. Anyone who claims that we understand the
subjective effects of analog and digital recording is engaging in
purely wishful thinking. And beware anyone who says that digital has no
audible distortion.. if you ask, you will find that their only evidence
for that is the so-called "quick switch" test which has nothing to do
with listening to music as music.

Mike

Date: 22 Oct 2005 17:08:45 GMT

A better question might be: can you
convey the emotion better by tinting a photograph red?

In some cases most definitely, but this is an artistic decision. This
is more analagous to what artists do in recording than what the
equipment does.

Exactly. Those who propose that distortion is responsible for the
consistent superiority of analog across a wide variety of styles and
performances are essentially claiming that the *equipment* is making an
artistic decision. Seem likely?

I thought not at one time then i reconsidered tht opinion.

Well, yes, *for some photographs.* For others, red might be all wrong,
and green work better.

The difficulty is that analog distortion is the same mechanism
regardless of what type of music is playing, what mood it conveys, and
so on.

Well, actually no. There is more than one kind of analog distortion and
of the many distortions several can be varied within their type of
distortion.

The point is that the distortion doesn't know bluegrass from a brass
quintet.

Actually harmonic distortion in effect does know because the source of
harmonic distortion is the original signal. So harmonic distortion from
a brass quartet is directly related to the sound of a brass quartet.

And yet many musicians, who are intimately familiar with how the
"colors" of sound are layered to create a specific musical intention,
report that analog is superior in *all* or nearly all music.

This could the caused by an inherent distortion compensating for
another inherent distortion in stereo recording and playback. Rather
than a specific variable distortion that can be found in analog
technology.

I agree, but a live microphone feed is better than any recorded signal.
In fact, even among analog enthusiasts, there is always a priority on
reducing distortion as much as possible. I'm not aware of a single
experiment which showed that adding distortion made a reproduction
closer to the original

I remember one recording/mastering engineer claiming that the LPs of
his recordings sounded better (more like the original) than the master
tape. I think it may have been Doug Sax. I'll have to do a search. That
certinly would be a claim that adding distortion made reproduction
closer to the original.

(I've heard there are experiments showing
distortion was vaguely "pleasing" in contexts where no one had any idea
what the original sounded like). As you might notice, the design push
among those who have a very clear idea of the original acoustic event
is always toward less distortion.

No, that is not what i have noticed.

There is some software, or the cheap
tube mic preamps, which claim to use distortion to "sweeten up" a
recording, but they admit right up front they aren't trying to
reproduce accurately but actually change it.

I would suggest checking out what guys like Steve Hoffman and James
Boyk say about this. I think you will find that they use the distortion
of tubes to increase the life like quality of their work.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 25 Jan 2006 00:25:06 GMT, "jonrkc"
wrote:

An observation, and a pet theory that's nagged at me for a long time:

1. A black-and-white photo (or movie) often conveys stronger emotion
than a color photo or movie. (Remember film buffs' outcry against
"Colorizing" b&w movies?) The absence of color focuses the viewer's
mind more forcefully on pattern and emotion than a color version could.

It's generally acknowledged that this impression has two sources:

1) Lighting cameramen really were better in those days.

2) We are accustomed to seeing gritty and emotional images in
monochrome via newspapers.

OTOH, check out the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan for an
opposing viewpoint on the emotional impact of colour images.

As for still photographs, it's regrettably true that there are very
few modern photographers whose work can hold a candle to the masters
of the monochrome era.

2. I've thought for years that the sampling rate in analog recording
is in effect much higher than that of digital recording. This is, I
suppose, scientifically untenable. But regardless of rate, isn't the
"sampling" in analog media much more of a random process than digital
sampling?

No, it isn't.

The irregular structure of a magnetic layer and the
molecular structure of vinyl both impose an element of randomness and
variety lacking to digital media with their unvarying regularity--a
regularity without which digital media could not exist.

Absolute nonsense. Digital recording uses dither to achieve randomness
in its individual samples, the real difference is that this randomness
is achieved with *vastly* greater dynamic range than is possible with
any analogue medium.

I have many recordings on CD that I wish were on LP instead.

I have many analogue recordings which I would much prefer to have on
CD. I could then dispose of my turntable.........

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

An observation, and a pet theory that's nagged at me for a long time:

1. A black-and-white photo (or movie) often conveys stronger emotion
than a color photo or movie. (Remember film buffs' outcry against
"Colorizing" b&w movies?) The absence of color focuses the viewer's
mind more forcefully on pattern and emotion than a color version could.

It's generally acknowledged that this impression has two sources:

Wrong.

1) Lighting cameramen really were better in those days.

In "those days?" Guess what? Black and white photography is still
popular today amoung top photographers. "those days" would be encompass
the entire history of photography.

2) We are accustomed to seeing gritty and emotional images in
monochrome via newspapers.

You are kidding no?

OTOH, check out the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan for an
opposing viewpoint on the emotional impact of colour images.

ironically that footage was desaturated to give an almost black and
white look to give an impression of being older, authentic footage.

As for still photographs, it's regrettably true that there are very
few modern photographers whose work can hold a candle to the masters
of the monochrome era.

1. No such thing as the "monochrom era"
2. There are many a great color photo.

2. I've thought for years that the sampling rate in analog recording
is in effect much higher than that of digital recording. This is, I
suppose, scientifically untenable. But regardless of rate, isn't the
"sampling" in analog media much more of a random process than digital
sampling?

No, it isn't.

Digital varies in sound more than analog? Eh maybe. They both run the
gamut of lousy to excellent in quality.

The irregular structure of a magnetic layer and the
molecular structure of vinyl both impose an element of randomness and
variety lacking to digital media with their unvarying regularity--a
regularity without which digital media could not exist.

Absolute nonsense. Digital recording uses dither to achieve randomness
in its individual samples, the real difference is that this randomness
is achieved with *vastly* greater dynamic range than is possible with
any analogue medium.

Thank goodness some people were using their ears and came up with
dither as an improvement on a medium that was already declared
sonically perfect.

I have many recordings on CD that I wish were on LP instead.

I have many analogue recordings which I would much prefer to have on
CD. I could then dispose of my turntable.........

Why not just make "pefect" copies on CD ROM and go ahead and sell the
table?

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

Absolute nonsense. Digital recording uses dither to achieve randomness
in its individual samples, the real difference is that this randomness
is achieved with *vastly* greater dynamic range than is possible with
any analogue medium.

Thank goodness some people were using their ears and came up with
dither as an improvement on a medium that was already declared
sonically perfect.

You are, of course, completely incorrect here. Dither is a process that
predates the introduction of the commercial introduction of digital
audio
by several decades. Further, the specific use and requirement of dither
was specifically discussed in the context of digital audio in a number
of
articles on the topic that predates the introduction of consumer
digital
audio. For example,

Blesser, "Digitization of Audio: A Comprehensive Examination of
Theory, Implementation and Current Practice," J. Audio Eng.
SOc.,
vol 26, no 10, pp 739-771

Your statement:

"Thank goodness some people were using their ears and
came up with dither as an improvement on a medium that
was already declared sonically perfect."

looks pretty silly in light of the pretty extensive history of the
technical
literature on the topic, and in light of the actual implementation of
digital audio systems over the last 35 years and more.

That YOU aren'y aware of this, or that some members of the hi-end
press are not aware of it doesn't make the fact that dither has ALWAYS
been an intergral part of digital audio implementation since BEFORE
the introduction of the CD.

Date: 22 Oct 2005 17:08:45 GMT

A better question might be: can you
convey the emotion better by tinting a photograph red?

In some cases most definitely, but this is an artistic decision. This
is more analagous to what artists do in recording than what the
equipment does.

Exactly. Those who propose that distortion is responsible for the
consistent superiority of analog across a wide variety of styles and
performances are essentially claiming that the *equipment* is making an
artistic decision. Seem likely?

I thought not at one time then i reconsidered tht opinion.

I'm willing to consider it, but I'm waiting for someone to propose a
distortion mechanism that explains what I actually hear. I would love
to hear your ideas on this.

The point is that the distortion doesn't know bluegrass from a brass
quintet.

Actually harmonic distortion in effect does know because the source of
harmonic distortion is the original signal. So harmonic distortion from
a brass quartet is directly related to the sound of a brass quartet.

But a distortion, like any "tweak" to the music, should improve some
things but not others. If you swap out the brass instruments for
instruments of a different design, it might improve things---but
probably only on certain pieces of music. But then, we would agree it
*changed* things, don't you think? I'm still waiting for an explanation
why analog is *generally* superior, *in the sense of more accurate*, if
the distortion is responsible.

I agree, but a live microphone feed is better than any recorded signal.
In fact, even among analog enthusiasts, there is always a priority on
reducing distortion as much as possible. I'm not aware of a single
experiment which showed that adding distortion made a reproduction
closer to the original

I remember one recording/mastering engineer claiming that the LPs of
his recordings sounded better (more like the original) than the master
tape. I think it may have been Doug Sax.

If it was Doug Sax, wouldn't that have been been a directly mastered
LP? In that case, he's not claiming that adding an extra stage improved
things.. he's actually claiming that a single stage of LP distorts the
music less than a single stage of tape.

I'll have to do a search. That
certinly would be a claim that adding distortion made reproduction
closer to the original.

(I've heard there are experiments showing
distortion was vaguely "pleasing" in contexts where no one had any idea
what the original sounded like). As you might notice, the design push
among those who have a very clear idea of the original acoustic event
is always toward less distortion.

No, that is not what i have noticed.

Well, that may be. I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with
this. But check out Boyk's "Magnesaurus" tape recorder. Every single
design decision was for the purposes of *reducing* distortion.

There is some software, or the cheap
tube mic preamps, which claim to use distortion to "sweeten up" a
recording, but they admit right up front they aren't trying to
reproduce accurately but actually change it.

I would suggest checking out what guys like Steve Hoffman and James
Boyk say about this. I think you will find that they use the distortion
of tubes to increase the life like quality of their work.

Boyk has told me he uses the *accuracy* of tubes, not the *distortion*
of tubes. For example, he probably wouldn't put an extra tube stage in
the chain to add distortion.

By the way, I don't know what your opinion on this is, but we often see
claimed here that CD is without a doubt the more accurate medium
because it has lower distortion. Maybe if you reduce (a "reductionist
view") the distortion to a single number it would be a smaller number,
but its distortion is more damaging to the music. Distortion can't be
reduced to a number; and some types of distortion may be large in
magnitude, but have relatively little effect on the music. Agree?

I suspect that analog is more accurate because it better preserves
transients once we take into account the ear's response to transients
such as the timing relationship between the sound and the neural
of detecting relative timing of micro-events which make up a sound, is
far better than implied by the 20 KHz frequency limit.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

[...]

Perhaps "came up with" was not the best choice of words. The fact is
CDs were initialy issued without the use of dither and suffered for it.
Those who thought the medium was perfect blamed the source material.
Those who recognized the problem saw dither as a means of improving CD
sound.

Blesser, "Digitization of Audio: A Comprehensive Examination of
Theory, Implementation and Current Practice," J. Audio Eng.
SOc.,
vol 26, no 10, pp 739-771

Your statement:

"Thank goodness some people were using their ears and
came up with dither as an improvement on a medium that
was already declared sonically perfect."

looks pretty silly in light of the pretty extensive history of the
technical
literature on the topic, and in light of the actual implementation of
digital audio systems over the last 35 years and more.

In light of the reality of the history of early CDs it ought not to
look so silly if you can get past the semantics. Fact is dither was not
initially used on CDs. The introduction of dither was the result of
some people acknowledging that CD sound was leaing much to be desired.

That YOU aren'y aware of this, or that some members of the hi-end
press are not aware of it doesn't make the fact that dither has ALWAYS
been an intergral part of digital audio implementation since BEFORE
the introduction of the CD.

I suggest you go back and look at the history of CDs rather than the
history of dither. The fact is that dither has NOT "ALWAYS been an
intergral part" of the implementation of CDs.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

An observation, and a pet theory that's nagged at me for a long time:

1. A black-and-white photo (or movie) often conveys stronger emotion
than a color photo or movie. (Remember film buffs' outcry against
"Colorizing" b&w movies?) The absence of color focuses the viewer's
mind more forcefully on pattern and emotion than a color version could.

It's generally acknowledged that this impression has two sources:

Wrong.

I'm curious about your opinion on this matter: do you believe that b&w
photography, in and of itself, can enhance the emotional impact of a
scene?

1) Lighting cameramen really were better in those days.

In "those days?" Guess what? Black and white photography is still
popular today amoung top photographers. "those days" would be encompass
the entire history of photography.

2) We are accustomed to seeing gritty and emotional images in
monochrome via newspapers.

You are kidding no?

OTOH, check out the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan for an
opposing viewpoint on the emotional impact of colour images.

ironically that footage was desaturated to give an almost black and
white look to give an impression of being older, authentic footage.

Let's call monochrome a "distortion" since it removes the lifelike
colors. Would you agree that monochrome can enhance the emotional
impact of some scenes, but not all? Would you claim that b&w is
superior for conveying the essence of every possible scene?

I find this unlikely, just as I find it unlikely that a distortion
could make reproduced sound more lifelike in all contexts. It seems to
me the most obvious explanation is that analog is accurately
reproducing the key patterns.

Mike

Date: 22 Oct 2005 17:08:45 GMT

A better question might be: can you
convey the emotion better by tinting a photograph red?

In some cases most definitely, but this is an artistic decision. This
is more analagous to what artists do in recording than what the
equipment does.

Exactly. Those who propose that distortion is responsible for the
consistent superiority of analog across a wide variety of styles and
performances are essentially claiming that the *equipment* is making an
artistic decision. Seem likely?

I thought not at one time then i reconsidered tht opinion.

I'm willing to consider it, but I'm waiting for someone to propose a
distortion mechanism that explains what I actually hear. I would love
to hear your ideas on this.

Yes, try to contact Jim Johnston. I remember him claiming to have some
ideas on this very matter.

The point is that the distortion doesn't know bluegrass from a brass
quintet.

Actually harmonic distortion in effect does know because the source of
harmonic distortion is the original signal. So harmonic distortion from
a brass quartet is directly related to the sound of a brass quartet.

But a distortion, like any "tweak" to the music, should improve some
things but not others. If you swap out the brass instruments for
instruments of a different design, it might improve things---but
probably only on certain pieces of music.

why would you assume this? If there is an inherent short coming in the
recording/playback chain (there are many actually) then why would you
assume that there are no colorations that universally act as a counter
to such distortions?

But then, we would agree it
*changed* things, don't you think?

Yes.

I'm still waiting for an explanation
why analog is *generally* superior, *in the sense of more accurate*, if
the distortion is responsible.

I think you may be asking the wrong people. Try asking Doug Sax, Steve
Hoffman or Stan Ricker.

I agree, but a live microphone feed is better than any recorded signal.
In fact, even among analog enthusiasts, there is always a priority on
reducing distortion as much as possible. I'm not aware of a single
experiment which showed that adding distortion made a reproduction
closer to the original

I remember one recording/mastering engineer claiming that the LPs of
his recordings sounded better (more like the original) than the master
tape. I think it may have been Doug Sax.

If it was Doug Sax, wouldn't that have been been a directly mastered
LP?

Not always.

" In that case, he's not claiming that adding an extra stage improved
things.. he's actually claiming that a single stage of LP distorts the
music less than a single stage of tape."

No, in this particular case he was talking about LPs he mastered from
analog master tapes.

I'll have to do a search. That
certinly would be a claim that adding distortion made reproduction
closer to the original.

(I've heard there are experiments showing
distortion was vaguely "pleasing" in contexts where no one had any idea
what the original sounded like). As you might notice, the design push
among those who have a very clear idea of the original acoustic event
is always toward less distortion.

No, that is not what i have noticed.

Well, that may be. I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with
this. But check out Boyk's "Magnesaurus" tape recorder. Every single
design decision was for the purposes of *reducing* distortion.

i agree but then check out his choice of microphones and mic preamp.

There is some software, or the cheap
tube mic preamps, which claim to use distortion to "sweeten up" a
recording, but they admit right up front they aren't trying to
reproduce accurately but actually change it.

I would suggest checking out what guys like Steve Hoffman and James
Boyk say about this. I think you will find that they use the distortion
of tubes to increase the life like quality of their work.

Boyk has told me he uses the *accuracy* of tubes, not the *distortion*
of tubes. For example, he probably wouldn't put an extra tube stage in
the chain to add distortion.

"accuracy" becomes a dodgy term here. Now i do know that Boyk at one
time felt SS components color the sound in an ugly way. So I think it
is a matter of accuracy to the elements of sound that he thinks are
important in the inherent beauty of live music. I have not heard him
say that tubes are more accurate in general just better at getting the
important parts of musical reproduction right.

By the way, I don't know what your opinion on this is, but we often see
claimed here that CD is without a doubt the more accurate medium
because it has lower distortion.

This is probably a good time to clearly spell out my beliefs.
I do not believe that CDs are perfectly transparent. This is a belief
that runs contrary to the beliefs of many objectivists.
I do not believe that CDs as a medium are inherently bad at all. I have
heard any number of superb sounding CDs.
I believe that most differences between CDs and LPs are a matter of
mastering/ manufacturing and LP playback equipment.
I believe that with SOTA LP playback equipment the vast majority of
titles that I want to listen to sound best on an LP version.
I believe that all else being equal, that LPs of the same recording
will sound better than their CD counterparts almost every time on SOTA
equipment. But not a lot better.
I believe that as the quality of the LP playback equipment diminishes
the gap between LPs and CDs are reduced.
I believe that most LP playback equipment is so flawed that CDs have a
substantial advantage over LP playback with such equipment.

Maybe if you reduce (a "reductionist
view") the distortion to a single number it would be a smaller number,
but its distortion is more damaging to the music. Distortion can't be
reduced to a number; and some types of distortion may be large in
magnitude, but have relatively little effect on the music. Agree?

Absolutely.

I suspect that analog is more accurate because it better preserves
transients once we take into account the ear's response to transients
such as the timing relationship between the sound and the neural
of detecting relative timing of micro-events which make up a sound, is
far better than implied by the 20 KHz frequency limit.

I cannot comment on that opinion.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

[...]

No

I find this unlikely, just as I find it unlikely that a distortion
could make reproduced sound more lifelike in all contexts. It seems to
me the most obvious explanation is that analog is accurately
reproducing the key patterns.

I can cite a distortion that *always* improves image quality.
Intropolation. It is a change in a digital image so it is technically a
distortion. It is designed to counter another distortion. with any
image taken from a photograph it will improve the quality of the image
if it makes a noticable difference. again, if there are *inhernet*
colorations in all recording/playback systems (IMO there are plenty)
then there is the possibility of distortions that universally counter
those colorations.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

An observation, and a pet theory that's nagged at me for a long time:

1. A black-and-white photo (or movie) often conveys stronger emotion
than a color photo or movie. (Remember film buffs' outcry against
"Colorizing" b&w movies?) The absence of color focuses the viewer's
mind more forcefully on pattern and emotion than a color version could.

It's generally acknowledged that this impression has two sources:

Wrong.

1) Lighting cameramen really were better in those days.

In "those days?" Guess what? Black and white photography is still
popular today amoung top photographers. "those days" would be encompass
the entire history of photography.

Since you're clearly not familiar with standard terminology, 'lighting
cameraman' is a *movie* job title, not still. Also, I've previously
noted that very few modern photographers are able to use monochorome
effectively.

2) We are accustomed to seeing gritty and emotional images in
monochrome via newspapers.

You are kidding no?

No.

OTOH, check out the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan for an
opposing viewpoint on the emotional impact of colour images.

ironically that footage was desaturated to give an almost black and
white look to give an impression of being older, authentic footage.

The whole film is shot in natural colours, rather than the
oversaturated 'technicolor' effect poular for blockbusters. In no way
is it 'almost black and white'.

As for still photographs, it's regrettably true that there are very
few modern photographers whose work can hold a candle to the masters
of the monochrome era.

1. No such thing as the "monochrom era"

Sure there was - it came before the colour era. Much like the 'vinyl
era'.... :-)

2. There are many a great color photo.

Indeed so - but very few *modern* monochromes of great artistic
quality.

2. I've thought for years that the sampling rate in analog recording
is in effect much higher than that of digital recording. This is, I
suppose, scientifically untenable. But regardless of rate, isn't the
"sampling" in analog media much more of a random process than digital
sampling?

No, it isn't.

Digital varies in sound more than analog? Eh maybe. They both run the
gamut of lousy to excellent in quality.

Shame that you didn't understand the question. The point is that the
noise floor of digital *is* truly random, it just happens to be placed
at a much lower level than that of analogue.

The irregular structure of a magnetic layer and the
molecular structure of vinyl both impose an element of randomness and
variety lacking to digital media with their unvarying regularity--a
regularity without which digital media could not exist.

Absolute nonsense. Digital recording uses dither to achieve randomness
in its individual samples, the real difference is that this randomness
is achieved with *vastly* greater dynamic range than is possible with
any analogue medium.

Thank goodness some people were using their ears and came up with
dither as an improvement on a medium that was already declared
sonically perfect.

Dither existed from day one in properly made CDs, such as those of
Dire Straits. That some bozos in the early days couldn't use the tools
properly, doesnt make the technology faulty. My 1983 'Love Over Gold'
is still one of the technically best CDs in my collection.

I have many recordings on CD that I wish were on LP instead.

I have many analogue recordings which I would much prefer to have on
CD. I could then dispose of my turntable.........

Why not just make "pefect" copies on CD ROM and go ahead and sell the
table?

Because certain of the subjectivists (guess who, Scott?) would then
jump in and claim that the reason I don't rate vinyl is that I've
never heard a decent vinyl rig. Same reason I keep the Krell.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 29 Jan 2006 02:25:55 GMT, wrote:

[...]

No, *some* early CDs failed to use dither when the old analogue master
tapes were digitised. Heck, some even used LP cutting masters, with
grossly boosted treble and reduced bass! The ability of some idiots to
misuse the tools, is not a fault of the available technology, See Dire
Straits 'Love Over Gold' for how it could be done right from day one.

Those who thought the medium was perfect blamed the source material.
Those who recognized the problem saw dither as a means of improving CD
sound.

Those who recognised the problem laughed at the idiots who had failed
to use dither. Dither had been used for *decades* before CDs were
launched, it's an *essential* part of digital signal processing.

Your statement:

"Thank goodness some people were using their ears and
came up with dither as an improvement on a medium that
was already declared sonically perfect."

looks pretty silly in light of the pretty extensive history of the
technical
literature on the topic, and in light of the actual implementation of
digital audio systems over the last 35 years and more.

In light of the reality of the history of early CDs it ought not to
look so silly if you can get past the semantics. Fact is dither was not
initially used on CDs. The introduction of dither was the result of
some people acknowledging that CD sound was leaing much to be desired.

Fact is that you don't know what you're talking about. Dither most
certainly was used on most early CDs. Only the technically ignorant
failed to use it.

That YOU aren'y aware of this, or that some members of the hi-end
press are not aware of it doesn't make the fact that dither has ALWAYS
been an intergral part of digital audio implementation since BEFORE
the introduction of the CD.

I suggest you go back and look at the history of CDs rather than the
history of dither. The fact is that dither has NOT "ALWAYS been an
intergral part" of the implementation of CDs.

I suggest you go back and look at the history of CDs rather than the
history of dither. The fact is that dither *has* always been an
"integral part" of the *correct* implementation of CDs. That some
idiots were unaware of this, is not the fault of the technogy.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

In the case of early CD's made from analog master tapes with a fairly
high noise floor, that noise floor can effectively provide dithering,
since it will always activate the lower order bits of the ADC and DAC to
randomize the transitions. So the resulting CD would most likely sound
the same regardless of whether digital dithering has been applied.
Dithering is much more necessary if the source has a very high dynamic
range.

I guess someone clueless may mistakenly leave out the dithering when
mastering a CD, but I have yet to find a CD sounding bad because
dithering was not applied. It also takes someone clueless to conclude
that introduction of dithering was due to people finding out that CD's
sounded bad. One of the best piano CD's I have was recorded digitally in
1981 and released in CD in 1983. As good a sound as anything made today.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

No,

Yes, they were.

*some* early CDs failed to use dither when the old analogue master
tapes were digitised. Heck, some even used LP cutting masters, with
grossly boosted treble and reduced bass! The ability of some idiots to
misuse the tools, is not a fault of the available technology, See Dire
Straits 'Love Over Gold' for how it could be done right from day one.

Irrelevant to my point.

Those who thought the medium was perfect blamed the source material.
Those who recognized the problem saw dither as a means of improving CD
sound.

Those who recognised the problem laughed at the idiots who had failed
to use dither.

Really? I guess you were laughing at the folks at Stereo Review who
were declaring 14 bit players using non dithered CDs to be audibly
perfect then? Were you laughing at them?

Dither had been used for *decades* before CDs were
launched, it's an *essential* part of digital signal processing.

Again, Irrelevant to my point.

Your statement:

"Thank goodness some people were using their ears and
came up with dither as an improvement on a medium that
was already declared sonically perfect."

looks pretty silly in light of the pretty extensive history of the
technical
literature on the topic, and in light of the actual implementation of
digital audio systems over the last 35 years and more.

In light of the reality of the history of early CDs it ought not to
look so silly if you can get past the semantics. Fact is dither was not
initially used on CDs. The introduction of dither was the result of
some people acknowledging that CD sound was leaing much to be desired.

Fact is that you don't know what you're talking about. Dither most
certainly was used on most early CDs. Only the technically ignorant
failed to use it.

OK please cite the first use of dither on a commercial CD.

That YOU aren'y aware of this, or that some members of the hi-end
press are not aware of it doesn't make the fact that dither has ALWAYS
been an intergral part of digital audio implementation since BEFORE
the introduction of the CD.

I suggest you go back and look at the history of CDs rather than the
history of dither. The fact is that dither has NOT "ALWAYS been an
intergral part" of the implementation of CDs.

I suggest you go back and look at the history of CDs rather than the
history of dither. The fact is that dither *has* always been an
"integral part" of the *correct* implementation of CDs. That some
idiots were unaware of this, is not the fault of the technogy.

Please feel free to prove your claim. CDs have been commercially
available since 1982. the first discussion I had ever read on the use
of diher on CDs was at least a few year after that. Feel free to cite
history of the use of dither on commercial CDs between say 1982 and
1984. Please show us that most of them used dither.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

Those interested in the history of dither for digital audio circa
the time of CD's introduction, can pay their $20/paper to the AES and
read the following papers; in neither of the first two
is dither presented as something *new*, but rather, as something
whose application should me more assiduously applied when (re)quantizing
takes place --specifically as triangular-pdf dither, as supported
by the published work of Lip****z and Vanderkooy.
(Though in fact the Soundstream digital recording/editing system
used triangular-pdf dither in the early 80's,
a fact mentioned by Lip****z et. al in the 1991 review cited last.
This fact had remained obscure hitherto due to commercial concerns on
Soundstream's part)

Resolution Below the Least Significant Bit in Digital Systems with Dither
Volume 32 Number 3 pp. 106-113; March 1984
Authors: Vanderkooy, John; Lip****z, Stanley P.

Dither in Digital Audio
Volume 35 Number 12 pp. 966-975; December 1987
Authors: Vanderkooy, John; Lip****z, Stanley P.

Quantization and Dither: A Theoretical Survey
Volume 40 Number 5 pp. 355-375; May 1992
Authors: Lip****z, Stanley P.; Wannamaker, Robert A.; Vanderkooy, John