Rolf

Default old school cassette deck with aux in?

Back when portable CD players were coming in, I seem to recall some
car stereo cassette decks having an aux in. My deck was recently
swiped from my car, and I'm looking for a cheap looking solution,
perhaps some kind of shaft-style cassette deck into which I can run an
ipod. Does anyone know of any old-school cassette decks that have an
aux input on the front panel? The idea is to find one cheap on ebay or
something (or if anyone out there is unloading one), rather than some
racy number for which I would need to cart a faceplate around.
Something that looks undesireable. I have a couple of small amps
anyway, so I don't really care as long as it has RCA outs for the
amps. I don't want to go the cassette adapter or FM wireless route. I
figure this is the best solution for cost effective sound quality.
Mike Wagner

Pete from Boston wrote:
(Rolf) wrote in message . com...

Back when portable CD players were coming in, I seem to recall some
car stereo cassette decks having an aux in. My deck was recently
swiped from my car, and I'm looking for a cheap looking solution,
perhaps some kind of shaft-style cassette deck into which I can run an
ipod. Does anyone know of any old-school cassette decks that have an
aux input on the front panel? The idea is to find one cheap on ebay or
something (or if anyone out there is unloading one), rather than some
racy number for which I would need to cart a faceplate around.
Something that looks undesireable. I have a couple of small amps
anyway, so I don't really care as long as it has RCA outs for the
amps. I don't want to go the cassette adapter or FM wireless route. I
figure this is the best solution for cost effective sound quality.

I don't recall names or models, but I've seen something meeting this
description at Best Buy or Circuit City recently. Very basic
cassette/radio, looks like something that came out a few years ago as
opposed to now, with input in front. It seems like most of the mass
retailers have at least one deck like this.

The older Clarion tape decks used to have them. My Dad has one from
1991 in his Bertone. The Clarion has a small jack that looks like an
earphone jack. This jack is labled CD and is on the front of the unit.
This is also a shaft style unit. From what I remember it has preamp
outputs as well. You could probably one on eBay. This was probably a
top of the line deck in the early 90s because the tape deck has dolby
and music search.

Good luck!

Mike
http://members.cox.net/wagnermpw