EFFENDI

Default Using competition subs for not competing

What are the opinions/experiences of the members of this NG on using
competition sub(s) as a daily driver (playing for extended periods
2hrs+)?? I am planning on building 5cu ft enclosure dont know if i want
to port it or not yet for an MA Audio Kore15 (15" 5,000W RMS). I dont
plan on competing I just want high SPL with decent quality. MA Audio
techs said that it is a competition-only sub with good sound quality.
Nothing said about using it for extended periods. My understanding of a
competition sub is one used for DB Drag sound off etc. That is,
"burping" a note instead of playing music. I really never thought about
it until i noticed it was "competition-only".

The setup so far planned is SQ oriented with a VERY heavy emphasis on
lower frequency SPL. Will be going into a 97 Duburban (thats right
DUBurban).

EFFENDI
Gmac

Not a damn thing wrong with it, You may go deff but thats ok.
SPL subs if used in a daily driver car will last forever they are built
for torture

--
Gmac

Paul Vina

I personally wouldn't do it becuase I loike my music to sound good first and
get loud second. But If was still in my teens and all I wanted to do was be
as loud as possible I'd use them in a heartbeat.

Paul Vina

"Gmac" wrote in message

Not a damn thing wrong with it, You may go deff but thats ok.
SPL subs if used in a daily driver car will last forever they are built
for torture

--
Gmac
Gmac's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...info&userid=10
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...threadid=12908

sniffinpoprocks

"EFFENDI" wrote in message
[...]

I use "competition" subs in my daily driver. 4800W rms going to 4 12's. Its
nice because you can play for extended periods without blowing them. A high
power sub, powered a few hundred watts below its max continuous (vs peak) in
a ported enclosure should be able to play for hours without over heating.
I've played mine for hours at a time hitting 150+ and they have lasted over
a year without any problems.

Soundfreak03

I've played mine for hours at a time hitting 150+ and they have lasted over
a year without any problems.

You were not actually in the vehicle were you? Hope not.

Les

EFFENDI

Soundfreak03 wrote:

I've played mine for hours at a time hitting 150+ and they have lasted over
a year without any problems.

You were not actually in the vehicle were you? Hope not.

Les

aaight coo. then im going to get the MA Audio Kore15. subs is 5000RMS
and 10000max. im trying to find a decent amp under 600 to come somewhat
close to the rms. Installed into the 97 Duburban ported box. prolly
around 5 cubes.

EFFENDI

EFFENDI

Paul Vina wrote:

The only thing that comes close in terms of power is the really big
JBL/Crown amp but it's WAY more than $600.

Paul Vina

"EFFENDI" wrote in message
. ..

Soundfreak03 wrote:

I've played mine for hours at a time hitting 150+ and they have lasted

over

a year without any problems.

You were not actually in the vehicle were you? Hope not.

Les

aaight coo. then im going to get the MA Audio Kore15. subs is 5000RMS
and 10000max. im trying to find a decent amp under 600 to come somewhat
close to the rms. Installed into the 97 Duburban ported box. prolly
around 5 cubes.

EFFENDI

Been looking around. That JBL/crown is a monster. Its also like in the
thousands of dollars. way out my price range.
The MA Audio HK4000D does 3600w RMS @ 2 ohms. I think that is decent and
i can get it on ebay for around 700.
sanitarium

I think it really depends on the sub. You have to look closely @ the TS
params and that is what is critical. Lottsa DB competitors use MTX RFLs
for comps and they get painfully loud. But their mid-60 Hz Fs does not
perform well as a daily driver, cranking tunes.

I have a powerbase extreme 15-D. Its supposed to be an SPL sub but I'm
gonna try it out as a daily driver in a large ported box playing tunes.
Gonna power each coil with about 850W RMS. I have modest SPL goals,
around 130 and I'm happy.

Garrett

EFFENDI wrote:
[...]

sniffinpoprocks

Audiobahn has a 5000w rms amp also but it's $2700 bucks.

you could get one of there high current models for way less than a grand and
get a couple thousand watts.

EFFENDI

EFFENDI wrote:

[...]

Yeah I am not looking to drive around cranking 150DBs everywhere I go.
Thats just dumb yo. I am able to get a good deal on the sub so I am
thinking about dropping the extra cash I got on it.

EFFENDI
Daniel Snooks

EFFENDI wrote
Yeah I am not looking to drive around cranking 150DBs everywhere I go.
Thats just dumb yo. I am able to get a good deal on the sub so I am
thinking about dropping the extra cash I got on it.

I believe you may have missed his point ... the trouble you might run into
with a "comp" sub is that it isn't desiged to play LOW (35Hz) it is
designed to burp. Most burps are in the bass frequencies, not subbass. In
other words, you will have a massive hole in your low end as far as SQ is
concerned.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

EFFENDI

Daniel Snooks wrote:
EFFENDI wrote

Yeah I am not looking to drive around cranking 150DBs everywhere I go.
Thats just dumb yo. I am able to get a good deal on the sub so I am
thinking about dropping the extra cash I got on it.

I believe you may have missed his point ... the trouble you might run into
with a "comp" sub is that it isn't desiged to play LOW (35Hz) it is
designed to burp. Most burps are in the bass frequencies, not subbass. In
other words, you will have a massive hole in your low end as far as SQ is
concerned.

I completely understand what he said. Why you have to go and start ****?

EFFENDI
Daniel Snooks

EFFENDI wrote
I completely understand what he said. Why you have to go and start ****?

Pardon? My apologies, I wasn't trying to start anything ...

I must not have understood what you consider to be "SQ oriented with a VERY
heavy on lower frequency SPL"
The way I read that statement, you wouldn't be satisfied with a sub that
pulls 150db @ 55Hz, but can only manage 105db @ 30Hz

I really think that you should consider running 3 or 4 12" instead of a
single 15" ... that would produce far more SPL in the lower frequencies
(40Hz)

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Brandon Buckner

In this regard, the OP might try the Crossfire XT15. Pretty much
indestructible sub with a very simple, yet elegant look to it. Can take
massive amounts of power, does awesome for SPL, but also is pretty musical.

Brandonb

Daniel Snooks wrote:

EFFENDI wrote

Yeah I am not looking to drive around cranking 150DBs everywhere I go.
Thats just dumb yo. I am able to get a good deal on the sub so I am
thinking about dropping the extra cash I got on it.

I believe you may have missed his point ... the trouble you might run into
with a "comp" sub is that it isn't desiged to play LOW (35Hz) it is
designed to burp. Most burps are in the bass frequencies, not subbass. In
other words, you will have a massive hole in your low end as far as SQ is
concerned.

Daniel Snooks

Nousaine wrote
Sometimes or maybe even 'usually' but that also depends on the

characteristics
of the drivers employed. For example 3 12-inch woofers with 10mm Xmax will
deliver roughly the same displacement as a 15-inch with 20mm Xmax. But in

some
situations a 15-inch driver (about 150% more displacement than a 12-inch

with
similar stroke) may often be the easiest, economical and space efficient

attain SPL than multiple drivers.

As a general rule of thumb each basket size up gives 50-60 % more cone

area
with equivalent stroke and doubling displacement (Cone area * Xmax * 2) *
number of drivers) delivers a little less than 6 dB more SPL. While this

can be
frequency dependent sealed enclosures in a typical car have no difficulty
generating significant SPL at 10 Hz.

The entire issue that this thread deals with is the characteristics of the
drivers employed. My point remains that if he wants a solid low end from
competition subs (low end being material playing below 35Hz) without
sacrificing much of the SPL, a single driver is probably not the best
solution. He will lose a mountain of power handling in an enclosure that
allows for good low frequency extension with that type of driver.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

which subs are better? thegreatarthur Car Audio 5 October 14th 03 09:29 PM
For Sale or Trade....Image Dyanamics Subs Douglas Conder Car Audio 0 September 9th 03 01:43 PM
Alpine deck blew my subs! Indiglow Car Audio 9 August 16th 03 01:46 AM
Best 8" subs? Sam Carleton Car Audio 7 August 15th 03 04:25 AM
Subwoofer direction Doobie-Doo Car Audio 108 August 13th 03 04:15 PM