Bill Lorentzen

Default Tascam DM24 or Tascam MX2424 - are the the same converters in both of these?

I'm doing a drum session today at my buddy's studio. He has a Tascam DM24
and a 2424 HD recorder. We will be using all outboard mic pres, and could go
direct into the 2424 (vs routing them through the mixer and then to the 2424
via tdif), if it has better converters, or if there were any other real
advantage to it. I suppose there could be an upside to avoiding the
attenuation in the line ins at the board. It would be slightly more
convenient to go through the board though.

Anyone know?

Bill L

David Zajac

The Analog I/O in the MX2424 has much better converters than the DM24.
Besides which, entering the recorder directly you'll record flat (which is
good), you'll gain analog I/O channels (which if recording live and doing
FOH simultaneously (something I do all the time) is good), and if you're
going to have an external preamp there is likely something about it that you
wanted it for so why not use it?

For what it is worth, now that i've added a Millenia Media HV-3D to my
equipment, this will be my default setup:

8 "Gold" channels consisting of mics preamped by the HV-3D on stage -
snake - analog input on MX2424 - TDIF - DM24 Mixer - Sound reinforcement
(if required).
16 "Not quite so Gold" channels consisting of mics - snake - DM24
preamps - DM24 direct analog out via inserts - analog input on MX2424 -
TDIF - DM24 Mixer - Sound reinforcement (if required).

Total capablity: 24 analog channels recorded flat without worry, 24 digital
returns mixed anyway required for FOH; 8 nearly perfect & 16 pretty darn
good!

"Bill Lorentzen" wrote in message
I'm doing a drum session today at my buddy's studio. He has a Tascam DM24
and a 2424 HD recorder. We will be using all outboard mic pres, and could

go
direct into the 2424 (vs routing them through the mixer and then to the

2424
via tdif), if it has better converters, or if there were any other real
advantage to it. I suppose there could be an upside to avoiding the
attenuation in the line ins at the board. It would be slightly more
convenient to go through the board though.

Anyone know?

Bill L

David Zajac

Default Tascam DM24 or Tascam MX2424 - are the the same converters in both of t

Ok, first empirically: to my ears using an external preamp into directly
into the MX2424 sounds much more open. Of course (duh), the external preamp
happens in this case to be a Millennia Media HV-3d! This openness ( /
airiness / intangible wonderful something ) is lost if I use either the
console's preamps alone, or go through the console's preamps set to no gain
and use the Millennia Media to provide the preamp gain externally (one of
the first things I tried).

Second, although I picked up both my DM24 & MX2424 used so didn't worry much
about the OEM prices, the analog board in the MX2424 ain't cheap! Wouldn't
surprise me if it cost new what I paid for the DM buy itself (not that money
is a perfect predictor of value).

Third, don't know if TimeLine was involved with the DM but do know TimeLine
was heavily involved in the MX2424. Only reason I mention this is your post
wasn't clear as to which device you were referring to.

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

Thanks David. That's what I wanted to know.

And of course you trust him implicitly. That was my thought, too (that
the converters and analog circuitry on the analog I/O board for the MX
were better than that in the DM24) but these days you can't be too
sure. I'd put money on the analog path being better in the TimeLine
board, but the converters in the console are two years newer in design
and might just be better. But then there's the other stuff like board
layout, stray signal paths, clocking, etc. The only way to tell for
sure is to compare the two, which you can do. Best not to be biased.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Benjamin Maas

"David Zajac" wrote in message
The Analog I/O in the MX2424 has much better converters than the DM24.
Besides which, entering the recorder directly you'll record flat (which is
good), you'll gain analog I/O channels (which if recording live and doing
FOH simultaneously (something I do all the time) is good), and if you're
going to have an external preamp there is likely something about it that

you
wanted it for so why not use it?

I'll give a completely opposite opinion. I think the converters in the
MX-2424 f-in' ruin music. The DM24 is good, but the clock needs a bit of
help from a good external source (as a lot of cheap digital boards do).

I have gotten so many things to mix off of a 2424 that take a ton of work to
make them sound even remotely decent. Everything that comes off of that
recorder sound flacid as the converters have horrible transient response and
a generally "smeary" sound (too many electrolytic caps in the signal
chain?). The 2424 is a great recorder for what it can do technically (like
timecode sync), but the sound of conversion is not a strength of it.

In comparison, I find that the DM24 is a much clearer sounding set of
conversion. As I said, the clock isn't wonderful and an Aardsync II helps
it quite a bit. The mic pre's also have a bit of a bite (upper mic/high-end
lack of transparency) to the sound that you aren't going to get with a set
of Millennias, etc... The line inputs reflect a bit of that, but it is a
cleaner sound than the mic pres.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

Jim Williams

"Benjamin Maas" wrote in message news:T3N0c.92653$Xp.419438@attbi_s54...
[...]

I have to agree with Ben about the MX2424. It's not the caps, nor the
converters, it's the way data is handled internally. I modified one
using very good analog parts and first rate caps, sounded like c**p.
Next I tried my custom A/D's and D/A's through it and it still
wouldn't record or playback properly. Helped make the decision to go
with the Alesis HD24XR, that machine will record properly.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
hank alrich

Jim Williams wrote:

Helped make the decision to go
with the Alesis HD24XR, that machine will record properly.

What's your early-on opinion of its operational bulletproofness?

--
ha
EggHd

operational bulletproofness?

Sounds like a honor or title or something.

---------------------------------------

Benjamin Maas

Default MX2424 Bit accuracy --- WAS: Tascam DM24 or Tascam MX2424 - are the

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

The discussion was about conversion - how a recording with the analog
I/O board sounds with an analog signal going in, in this case, as
compared to the same signal going into the TASCAM DM24 console, then
to the recorder via the TDIF inputs.

So far we have two votes for "it doesn't sound that good." A bit
disappointing considering the cost of the analog I/O option board and
all the part on it (as well as all the work that must have gone into
the design), but as we all know, not everything sounds as good as it
looks or costs.

I've found that like a lot of digital gear (more than I'd like to believe),
the clock in the MX2424 is pretty suspect. Not only are the analog
converters lacking, but even when going in digital, an external clock really
helps it (whether the clock on a set of high-end converters like Lavry's or
an Aardsync doesn't really matter- it just needs better clocking).

I think the data integrity is certainly fine on that recorder and the
timecode sync is excellent. My complaint is just that conversion on that
recorder is less than perfect. For $1800, you'd expect an analog card to
sound a bit better, but then again, that is not such a high price for 24
channels of conversion. Any after-market converter will cost more for that
many channels.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

Nathan Eldred

(Jim Williams) wrote in message . com...
(Nathan Eldred) wrote in message . com...
(Jim Williams) wrote:

I have to agree with Ben about the MX2424. It's not the caps, nor the
converters, it's the way data is handled internally. I modified one
using very good analog parts and first rate caps, sounded like c**p.
Next I tried my custom A/D's and D/A's through it and it still
wouldn't record or playback properly. Helped make the decision to go
with the Alesis HD24XR, that machine will record properly.

Are you talking about the functionality of the unit, or are you saying
that somehow it's not just 111's and 000's? In the past with certain
OS' were very quirky, 2.11 has been extremely stable. If you are
saying that it's somehow not bit accurate, you must have had a broken
unit. I have used the MX2424 for 3 years, backing up between the
computer and the 2424 and digital information is *****exact*****. I'm
not talking about conversion, I'm talking about straight AES
transfers. If it wasn't, I think someone would have noticed by now.

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com

If a bit map was done I would believe all the 0's and 1's would line
up. This is common where measured data and subjective sonics just
don't add up. Try a listening test between them and report back. I
did.

We must be talking about two different things. I have done a
comparison between digital transfers, countless times. They sound
exactly the same. If you are talking about A/D conversion, that's a
completely different ball of wax (even Mike Rivers seems to think
that's what we are talking about here, but when you say "Next I tried
my custom A/D's and D/A's through it and it still wouldn't record or
playback properly" it leads me to believe to you are talking about
digital only. If we ARE talking about ADC's then I agree they aren't
the best, nor the worse (I think their DAC's are better than their
ADC's).

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com
Benjamin Maas

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

No point in arguing about it though. If Ben doesn't like it (I think
he said it sounded better with outboard converters but I don't have
the thread in front of me) and Jim couldn't make it sound any better,
there are two people who would rather not use it. They may or may not
influence the decision of others.

That is what I said... With outboard converters, it is a fine transport.
You want to give it a better clock, but it records and plays back just fine.
The internal converters and the clock are it's weak points.

I still use the machine on some gigs because I've been quite happy with
timecode sync options on it. That and it is easy to export the files and
the project to just about any DAW out there through the use of its OpenTL
EDL. It is a very small and easy way to record 48 tracks wide in the field-
(48 tracks in 8 rack spaces isn't too bad)

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

the mx2424 board - A Tascam MX-2424 users forum. Community based, user-end support Claude Coleman Jr. Pro Audio 0 February 25th 04 10:28 PM
Tascam DM24 Forum? Bill Lorentzen Pro Audio 7 October 28th 03 12:39 AM
tascam dm24 firewire b Pro Audio 16 October 21st 03 09:16 PM
Tascam MX2424 Problem? Bun Pro Audio 1 September 29th 03 11:41 PM
mmc for control tascam MX2424 ? Jean Jacques Dialo Pro Audio 0 August 16th 03 11:54 PM