jnorman

Default dealing with proximity effect - schoeps mk4s

i recently purchased a pair of schoeps cmc64s for classical work both remote
and in studio. the mk4 capsules are offered as "general use", but they are
configured to be flat in the diffuse field (distant micing), and thus they
have a fairly pronounced proximity effect when close-micing inthe studio. i
got some quite boomy tracks from a pedal harp using an NOS setup about 3
feet out from the front of the harp which is requiring an enormous amount of
low end cut to get balanced. i checked with redding audio, and the cut
filters from schoeps are $415 each, which is cost prohibitive for me now.
what is the best method for me to address the proximity issues with these
mics in the studio? thanks.
Arny Krueger

"jnorman" wrote in message

i recently purchased a pair of schoeps cmc64s for classical work both
remote and in studio. the mk4 capsules are offered as "general use",
but they are configured to be flat in the diffuse field (distant
micing), and thus they have a fairly pronounced proximity effect when
close-micing inthe studio. i got some quite boomy tracks from a
pedal harp using an NOS setup about 3 feet out from the front of the
harp which is requiring an enormous amount of low end cut to get
balanced. i checked with redding audio, and the cut filters from
schoeps are $415 each, which is cost prohibitive for me now. what is
the best method for me to address the proximity issues with these
mics in the studio? thanks.

To bad your DAW software doesn't have filters that let you deal with
situations like this. In CoolEdit Pro, this would be a 5 minute or less job,
depending on how good your ears are.

Richard Kuschel

i recently purchased a pair of schoeps cmc64s for classical work both remote
and in studio. the mk4 capsules are offered as "general use", but they
are
configured to be flat in the diffuse field (distant micing), and thus they
have a fairly pronounced proximity effect when close-micing inthe studio.
got some quite boomy tracks from a pedal harp using an NOS setup about 3
feet out from the front of the harp which is requiring an enormous amount
of
low end cut to get balanced. i checked with redding audio, and the cut
filters from schoeps are $415 each, which is cost prohibitive for me now.
what is the best method for me to address the proximity issues with these
mics in the studio? thanks.

You don't get proximity effect at three feet.

Your placement is wrong.

It is either the room or the instrument.

If you really want to cut Low frequency out of the MK4's, get a couple of the
Cut2 adjustable LF rolloffs.

I don't ned them on my 41's, but I use them a lot on myt omnis.

Richard H. Kuschel