Mark Finley

Default recording gear question

I am the A/V director at my church, mostly by default because there isn't
body else who has any interest in doing it.
Right now we are recording the sermons on a MD, and I am transferring them
to a WAV files and them MP3 by means of a MD playing patched in to the back
of my PC by means of the audio in port. The recording sounds good when I
leave it as a WAV, but to post the sermon on my church's web site I have to
convert it to a MP3 preferably less than 6 MB large. That's quite a task for
a sermon 30-40 minutes long. I am recording mono, and using wave creator
3.0 to edit and convert to MP3.

I have two questions for you.
1. Is there a way to clean up an MP3 to get rid of the garble?
2. would I be better off just buying a recorder that skips the MD entirely
and records straight to a WAV or MP3 format. If so, is it possible to get
one of those units for less than $500? There isn't a lot of money in the
budget for things like this, but I could do if it were less than $500.

Mark

Mark Finley

"Mainlander" *@*.* wrote in message
. nz...
In article ,
says...
[...]

MD has a little problem in that the sound is lossy compressed and so it
will never be the same as a wave recording made at CD quality.

Use a PC to record it, if you have the budget for that. Use mono and
11khz sampling should be enough for voice quality. There are some
standalone hard disk recorders, but a PC can do a good enough job.

The quality of the MP3 that you output is directly related to its final
size. I assume is your problem with the MD recording or what the MP3
sounds like when you have finished compressing it?

we have a brand new PC, but when I tried recording through it, it did
something strange. THe best way I can describe it is to say the recording
levels were capped at about 50%, and after that it was just too-hot noise.
to get the sound quality good, it was wy too soft.

The MD quality is good, but the MP3 is muddy and bad, and soft.

Any suggestions?

Mark