JWelsh3374

Default R.I.P. Erik Braunn

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Erik Braunn, the Iron Butterfly guitarist who
played one of rock's most recognizable riffs in the 17-minute anthem
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," died of cardiac arrest Friday. He was 52.

I am turning into my mother...letting all my friends know who died. woof...

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
ScotFraser

Erik Braunn, the Iron Butterfly guitarist who
played one of rock's most recognizable riffs in the 17-minute anthem
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," died of cardiac arrest Friday. He was 52.

Yow, I saw him when he first got the gig with Iron Butterfly at the age of 17.
Played through 2 Arbiter Fuzzfaces & 2 Fender reverb tanks, all in series,
sounded phenomenal.

Scott Fraser
Ray Abbitt

In article ,
ScotFraser wrote:
Erik Braunn, the Iron Butterfly guitarist who
played one of rock's most recognizable riffs in the 17-minute anthem
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," died of cardiac arrest Friday. He was 52.

Yow, I saw him when he first got the gig with Iron Butterfly at the age of 17.
Played through 2 Arbiter Fuzzfaces & 2 Fender reverb tanks, all in series,
sounded phenomenal.

Damn. The scary part is that I saw them when I was 17--and I'll be 52
in August.

-ray
Bryson

Dang, that's just too young to go (Bob Hope had almost twice
that....wow).

I saw them when I was nine (with Blue Cheer) at Earl Warren
show grounds, Santa Barbara '68. I even got their autographs
at the local record store. I dug the noises Eric could make
with his guitar, and he looked pretty cool in the ruffled
shirt and bells too.
I used play that "In A Gadda Da Vida" record, and go from air
guitar with a tennis racket, to air drums (with Lincoln Logs
for drumsticks), then back to tennis racket.

I remember hearing a couple years ago about Lee Dorman, their
bassist, having heath problems. I wonder how he's doing.

Ray Abbitt wrote:

In article ,
ScotFraser wrote:

Erik Braunn, the Iron Butterfly guitarist who
played one of rock's most recognizable riffs in the 17-minute anthem
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," died of cardiac arrest Friday. He was 52.

Yow, I saw him when he first got the gig with Iron Butterfly at the age of 17.
Played through 2 Arbiter Fuzzfaces & 2 Fender reverb tanks, all in series,
sounded phenomenal.

Damn. The scary part is that I saw them when I was 17--and I'll be 52
in August.

-ray

glen

I saw them also, but the great thing is that I got to meet Erik. He was a
great guy and we talked for about 15 minutes. I still have the guitar picks
that he gave me.
It is always sad to know someone who left a great impression on you, to
leave us. If he led his life like the way he treated me, it is a great loss
to all of us....

"Ray Abbitt" wrote in message
ScotFraser wrote:
Erik Braunn, the Iron Butterfly guitarist who
played one of rock's most recognizable riffs in the 17-minute anthem
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," died of cardiac arrest Friday. He was 52.

Yow, I saw him when he first got the gig with Iron Butterfly at the age

of 17.
Played through 2 Arbiter Fuzzfaces & 2 Fender reverb tanks, all in

series,
sounded phenomenal.

Damn. The scary part is that I saw them when I was 17--and I'll be 52
in August.

-ray

xy

if i remember, the riff goes
d,d fecd aflat g f c
then repeat until the acid wears off

that is a shame though. the list of 60's rock legends who died early
is way too long already.
MandoBazaaro

I *didn't* see them one night in Whittier, California...
The bill was The Merry-Go-Round, Standells, and Iron Butterfly...
The Merry-Go-Round had a backline of Fenders, the Standells had
Standells (obviously), and the Iron Butterfly a gob of Vox Super
Beatles...

The joint must've had a penny in the fuse-box, because all three
brands of amps started smoking at once...
Show cancelled...
I still remember Iron Butterfly throwing the smoking Voxes into the
back of their van (this was pre-roadie days), cussing the whole
while...

Ah, the memories....

Bruce
www.bruceharvie.com
rickymix

Sorry to hear of E.B.'s untimely demise. Iron Butterfly was the 2nd
rock concert I ever saw, late '69 I guess. (First was the Beatles at
Shea, 66?). I remember that as a stoned 14 year old, I was really
impressed that the live version of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was 45 minutes
long; almost 3 times better than the recorded version!!! :)
The drum solo itself was 25 minutes long. The rest of the band went
offstage and took a break.
However, I've got to say that even at that time I was stunned
that a band who could write such an incredibly catchy song wasn't able
to come anywhere close with their other songs, (and that's being
kind). I remember thinking the same thing a decade later with The
Knack / "My Sharona".
I just had a hilarious mental image of God groaning with his head
in his hands as Erik Braunn, Marshalls on 11, fills the far corners of
Heaven with the "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" riff, the way my Dad used to when
I jammed along with that record when I was a kid learning to play
electric guitar. Since the song filled the entire "B" side of the
album, it was neat, you could just pull back the arm of the record
player and the song would play over and over again, much to my delight
and to Dad's chagrin.
"Hey God, ENJOY ETERNITY!!! You haven't even gotten to the drum
solo yet!!" :)
(No disrespect meant to any of the above-mentioned parties. :)
RIP, EB.
R.N.