Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Michael McKelvy

wrote in message ...
Michael McKelvy wrote:
I can't get the idea out of my head that it's called Hi-Fi. I understand
there are no "perfect" speakers, but IME the ones that always sounded
best
were the ones that were more accurate. No big bumps in FR, wide,
soundstage, and lowest distortion.

A long time ago, used to think (hope?) that the public would get
educated
and that speaker makers would learn to get these midbass peaks and humps
out
of their systems. Some have, but in general, the public seems to like
thump-thump more than ever and manufactuers have catered to it more than
ever.
The best example is when ever a car passes by where all you hear is
thump-thump
and no music whatsoever. And as amplifier power has gotten cheaper, they
play
them louder, causing hearing damage and the cycle gets worse.

I have a vision of an entire generation of people that will respond to every
question with, Huh?

So, I have
concluded that it's mostly hopeless educating and I just do my thing.

I also have a nagging suspicion that many of the speakers SP shows with
those bass humps are probably being measured improperly. Typical
speakers
in a typical room would have dips where these are showing bumps.

You can't be sure of that without evaluating how each system behaves.

I probably misspoke on that one.

I don't
think SP has a full size anechoic chamber where one can figure these
things out
to to the level of exhaustion with current technology.

Which is kind of astounding, since I beleive Madisond does have one, and if
I had to guess, I would guess that SP is a more profitable business.

For example, my speakers
have wildly differing peaks and humps in the bass when comparing the
channels
with a Tact RCS. It's the room: To be sure, I flipped the speakers from
the
channels and it was the same. Others looking for solutions to these
problems
encounter the same thing. Rooms are big distorters for reproduced music
and
it is perhaps where the most improvement could be made for any given
system.
And there is no perfect solution. Listening to headphones is frustrating
for
different reasons.

Agreed, still I'd like to see real professionals doing the measurements for
SP.
The article about the reviewer just discovering ground plane measurements
really stunned me.