Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default The Autotune Evil Empire - Version 7

I very rarely use the Autotune beast, but have had to do so
occasionally and will need it again on two current projects. My
introduction was to Autotune 5, which is operationally odd, IMO, and
mostly unusable.

I've been told I'm not the only one to have fought version 5 (seems
to have an abundance of operations and interface quirks, typically
doing more harm than good). One client told me Autotune 4 was great
at doing what it should do both in controls and expected results, but
that it crashed way too often... Sigh.

So the question is whether Autotune 7 is significantly "better" in
the opinion of those who've used it and possibly earlier versions.

Yes, I'll grab a demo, but general thoughts/experiences with "gotchas" are
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

Frank Stearns
said...news:gfKdnTawMqSG6wjSnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@poste d.palinacquisition:

[...]

Can't say anything about 7, but have you looked at Melodyne ?

david

Posted to rec.audio.pro
MarkK MarkK is offline

So the question is whether Autotune 7 is significantly "better" in
the opinion of those who've used it and possibly earlier versions.

Yes, I'll grab a demo, but general thoughts/experiences with "gotchas"

are
appreciated.

or try this free one

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm

I'd be curious what others think of this one, it is the only one I have ever
used so I have no frame of refrence.

Seems ok to me

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article , "MarkK"
wrote:

So the question is whether Autotune 7 is significantly "better" in
the opinion of those who've used it and possibly earlier versions.

Yes, I'll grab a demo, but general thoughts/experiences with "gotchas"
are
appreciated.

or try this free one

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm

I'd be curious what others think of this one, it is the only one I have ever
used so I have no frame of refrence.

Seems ok to me

Mark

They're ALL evil.
;-)

--
www.jennifermartinmusic.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

MarkK wrote:

So the question is whether Autotune 7 is significantly "better" in
the opinion of those who've used it and possibly earlier versions.

Yes, I'll grab a demo, but general thoughts/experiences with "gotchas"
are
appreciated.

or try this free one

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm

I'd be curious what others think of this one, it is the only one I have ever
used so I have no frame of refrence.

Seems ok to me

Mark

It's not bad but it's crashey.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Les Cargill wrote:
Mark

It's not bad but it's crashey.

That sounds like 'bad' to me ....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
Les Cargill wrote:
Mark

It's not bad but it's crashey.

That sounds like 'bad' to me ....

geoff

It's worth every penny you pay for it.

there is more than one kind of bad...

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
MarkK MarkK is offline

It's not bad but it's crashey.

That sounds like 'bad' to me ....

geoff

It's worth every penny you pay for it.

there is more than one kind of bad...

--
Les Cargill

Crashy?
you mean the computer crashes,,, it has never crashed for me running under
N Track Studio..

I'm wondering what you think of the sound quality?

How good/bad is it at pitch correction compared to the high priced spread?

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

MarkK wrote:

It's not bad but it's crashey.

That sounds like 'bad' to me ....

geoff

It's worth every penny you pay for it.

there is more than one kind of bad...

--
Les Cargill

Crashy?
you mean the computer crashes,,, it has never crashed for me running under
N Track Studio..

Just tried it again. If you save the song file with that plugin on a
track, you can no longer open the song file. It crashes on startup.
That might be a mono vs. stereo thing; didn't drill down much in
diagnosing the problem.

I am also using N-Track, version 3.0. It's overwhelmingly not
crashey*. Some plugins are.

*on Win7 or WinXP.... there are more stable programs now, like
Reaper or Sonar. Sonar even isolates itself from crashing plugins.

I'm wondering what you think of the sound quality?

Not bad, if that makes any sense for a plugin like that. I tend to
lean towards pitch correcting with the pitch shift in CoolEdit 96
if at all.

How good/bad is it at pitch correction compared to the high priced spread?

I don't have much exposure to the high priced ones. Ran the 30 days out
on an eval of Autotune a long time ago, but formed no opinion of
the sound quality.

I used GSnap exactly once on a real recording. Set up a temporary
song file and printed the tuned version of a vocal.

Mark

--
Les Cargill