Newsguy

Default Mic Cable: To connect or not to connect??

Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic cable, the case
should be connected to Pin 1. Some say this introduces a ground loop and
causes problems.

Your votes?

Darren

Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:21:18 -0500, "Newsguy" wrote:

Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic cable, the case
should be connected to Pin 1. Some say this introduces a ground loop and
causes problems.

The potential ground loop is *inside* the receiving electronics.
Good RFI and good audio grounding practices frequently conflict.

If the extra shielding obtained by grounding the shell matters
to you, you already know *way* more about the topic than you ever
wanted to know.

Chris Hornbeck

Richard Crowley

"Newsguy" wrote ...
Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic
cable, the case should be connected to Pin 1. Some say
this introduces a ground loop and causes problems.

If you want to make the connector cases grounded, then put a
jumper from 1 to shell only on the female ends. That way you
avoid any potential ground loops at the input to the mic preamp
while shielding any inline connections.

I've never grounded the cases on the XLR connectors I've made
and never noticed any ill-effects from leaving them floating. If
you operate in high-RF interference areas, you could try a small
capacitor instead of a hard wire.

EricK

Newsguy wrote:

Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic cable, the case
should be connected to Pin 1. Some say this introduces a ground loop and
causes problems.

Your votes?

Darren

I have made a lot of mic cables, and never connected pin 1 to the shell.
Never had any problems.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com

S O'Neill

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Newsguy" wrote ...

Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic
cable, the case should be connected to Pin 1. Some say
this introduces a ground loop and causes problems.

If you want to make the connector cases grounded, then put a
jumper from 1 to shell only on the female ends. That way you
avoid any potential ground loops at the input to the mic preamp
while shielding any inline connections.

How do you make a ground loop at the input of a mic preamp? That's most
likely a mic, and that isn't grounded. But if you were plugging it into
an output that had a ground lift, grounding the female shell would
likely (depending on construction) defeat the lift. So if anything,
you'd want to ground the male shell.

I've never grounded the cases on the XLR connectors I've made
and never noticed any ill-effects from leaving them floating. If
you operate in high-RF interference areas, you could try a small
capacitor instead of a hard wire.

I've never seen nor made any cables with grounded shells, either.

Richard Crowley

"S O'Neill" wrote in message
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Newsguy" wrote ...

Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic
cable, the case should be connected to Pin 1. Some say
this introduces a ground loop and causes problems.

If you want to make the connector cases grounded, then put a
jumper from 1 to shell only on the female ends. That way you
avoid any potential ground loops at the input to the mic preamp
while shielding any inline connections.

How do you make a ground loop at the input of a mic preamp?

I've seen several products that treat the pin-1 ground and the
connector shell separately, and some that even treat the panel
as a third part of the equation. Interesting experiments...
http://www.jensentransformers.com/as/as032.pdf

That's most likely a mic, and that isn't grounded. But if you were
plugging it into an output that had a ground lift, grounding the female
shell would likely (depending on construction) defeat the lift.
So if anything, you'd want to ground the male shell.

In the case of mic cables (which I'm assuming is still the topic
of this thread, according to the subject line), the female end
will be at the far end of the cable. I don't see how your comment
abount any possible ground lift applies out there.

Also assuming we are talking about runs of more than one cable
length in series. For cases where a single cable connects to mic
at one end and preamp/mixer at other end, this discussion is
mostly academic.

Peter Larsen

Newsguy wrote:

Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic cable,
the case should be connected to Pin 1. Some say this introduces
a ground loop and causes problems.

You can skip connecting the casing/housing IF you use the cables between
boxes and IF those boxes are made correctly, but you MUST(x) connect the
casing of one of the sexes if you use the cables as extension cables,
and inevitably some of the time some cable will be used like that.

Your votes?

Connect casing/housing to cable shield in female plug only.

(x) if you don't and if someone touches the housing - or the housing
touches physical ground, such as a marble floor tile in a church - then
there is a very real risk of hum getting induced, and the quality of the
balancing, if any, will matter. Empirically determined.

Darren

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

David Satz

Darren "Newsguy" wrote:

Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic cable, the case
should be connected to Pin 1. Some say this introduces a ground loop
and causes problems.

Your votes?

My vote is to read a two-part article by Bill Whitlock at:

http://www.svconline.com/mag/avinsta...ed_interfaces/

and continued at:

http://www.svconline.com/mag/avinsta..._interfaces_2/

I'm currently making a point of studying his writings and those of
Neil Muncy, and I reserve the right to change my tune as I learn more.
But Whitlock seems to consider it imperative to ground the shield at the
"driven end" (e.g. the microphone end) of a balanced cable, and optional
to do so at the output.

What he seems to find really bad is connecting the shield to ground _only_
at the output end of the cable.

What these people seem to find the primary cause of problems is when
circuit designers--both in microphones and preamps--connect pin 1 to
the audio circuit ground and only then connecting that to the chassis,
instead of connecting pin 1 directly to the chassis.

Now I need to figure out what this implies for phantom powering circuits.
Also, I really want to build a "sniffer" (a simple device that injects
interference in a way that reveals this "pin 1 problem") as described in
Muncy and Whitlock's writings, and check out a bunch of gear with it.

Scott Dorsey

In article , Newsguy wrote:
Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic cable, the case
should be connected to Pin 1. Some say this introduces a ground loop and
causes problems.

Your votes?

This is discussed in the FAQ.
Hint: connecting just the shield on the male cables does not result in
any ground loop IF the receiving gear is properly designed. Which is
often not the case.

Justin Ulysses Morse

David Satz wrote:

What these people seem to find the primary cause of problems is when
circuit designers--both in microphones and preamps--connect pin 1 to
the audio circuit ground and only then connecting that to the chassis,
instead of connecting pin 1 directly to the chassis.

Now I need to figure out what this implies for phantom powering circuits.

Exactly. I run into a conflicting set of ideals when working out the
ground scheme for a mike preamp. On the one hand, Whilock and others
recommend connecting Pin 1 directly to the chassis for ideal RFI
protection. On the other hand, Pin 1 is responsible for current return
in the phantom power circuit, and I really don't want 9 inches of sheet
steel in series with my microphone's power suppy. The only reasonable
solution seems to be making Pin 1 "the" point where circuit ground
meets chassis ground, which isn't really possible if you also have an
internal power supply (where the safety ground has that same
requirement) and/or in a 2-channel preamp. You end up having more than
one connection between chassis and circuit ground. I think it's not
too big a deal though, provided each of those ground connectionss are
short and direct, and as thick and beefy as possible so that the
inevitable loop is small in area and low in impedance. Am I missing
anything?

ulysses

Scott Dorsey

MacKerr wrote:
n article writes:

Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic cable, the case
should be connected to Pin 1. Some say this introduces a ground loop and
causes problems.

Connect the shield to pin 1 on both ends.
BRBR

I think the question was about connecting the connector body to pin 1, not the
shield. The shield should be connected on both ends, the connector ground lug
should not be connected.

If you don't connect the connector ground lug at all, then each junction
between cables (when you chain cables together) is unshielded. This is bad.

If you connect all connector ground lugs, then each junction between
cables is a ground loop. This is bad.

If you connect only the female connector ground lugs, than each junction is
properly shielded, and the equipment that the male end is plugged into is
fine, but the equipment that the female end is plugged into might now have
a ground loop because pin 1 is already tied to the case inside. This is bad.

Unless it's a Neumann product, in which case you HAVE to have pin 1 tied
to the shield on the female end, because pin 1 is not otherwise tied to
the case inside. Leaving it disconnected is bad.

Is this confusing enough? This is really a horrible can of worms and it
can lead to some serious hair-pulling out in high RFI environments where
even tiny loops are problematic.

Newsguy

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
MacKerr wrote:
n article writes:

[...]

Hi Scott. I think I should have been more clear when I asked my original
question, so here goes:

When I built the cable, I connected the shield to pin 1 on both ends (Male
and Female) of the XLR. This of course is standard practice. My question
is, now that I have this done, do I go a step further and ground pin 1 to
the xlr shell?

Darren

Scott Dorsey

MacKerr wrote:
n article writes:

[...]

Sadly, that depends on what you're plugging it into.
You _may_ want to ground pin 1 of the FEMALE connector only to the
shell. Then again, you may not. See above.

Tim Padrick

I have no noise in my system with all cables' shields connected at both
ends. I say connect Pin 1 at both ends unless you have a specific need to
lift it. If you connect the cases, you are sure to end up with a ground
loop someplace. If you don't connect the cases, and you connect two cables
together, then yes, you will have a tiny area where the conductors are
unshielded. Unless you are in some really hellish RF or EMI environment,
this won't matter a bit.

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article , Newsguy

MacKerr wrote:
n article writes:

[...]

Scott Dorsey

Tim Padrick wrote:
I have no noise in my system with all cables' shields connected at both
ends. I say connect Pin 1 at both ends unless you have a specific need to
lift it. If you connect the cases, you are sure to end up with a ground
loop someplace. If you don't connect the cases, and you connect two cables
together, then yes, you will have a tiny area where the conductors are
unshielded. Unless you are in some really hellish RF or EMI environment,
this won't matter a bit.

Unless you are in a really hellish RF environment, none of this will matter
a bit. You can connect it either way and it won't make a bit of difference.
The problem is that sooner or later, you will be in a hellish RF environment.

David Satz

Darren ("Newsguy") wrote:

Survey time. Some people say that when building a mic cable, the case
should be connected to Pin 1. Some say this introduces a ground loop
and causes problems.

Your votes?

I'm not angling for a second vote, but would simply like to point out
that ground loops are the rule rather than the exception when audio
components are connected together. Some current will almost always
flow in the shield, and not just clean DC, either. The point is to
avoid channeling it into your audio circuitry--and that depends on the
equipment design more than on the cable. Well-designed balanced inputs
and outputs should allow audio components to function properly despite
their almost inevitable differences in ground reference levels.

--best regards