Radioman390

Default More EBay travesty of justice. Punishing!

Should this be allowed?

Look at this auction being used to PUNISH!

Rich.Andrews

(Radioman390) wrote in news:20040630220217.25561.00001005
@mb-m29.news.cs.com:

Should this be allowed?

Look at this auction being used to PUNISH!

Absolutely! I know someone who would have destroyed it while the kid
watched. Actions have results and the results may be undesireable.

TonyP

Rich.Andrews wrote:
(Radioman390) wrote in news:20040630220217.25561.00001005
@mb-m29.news.cs.com:

Should this be allowed?

Look at this auction being used to PUNISH!

Absolutely! I know someone who would have destroyed it while the kid
watched. Actions have results and the results may be undesireable.

Dad had to recoup some of his loss. Then the kid would also have to see
a doctor. I would have beaten the stuffin out of him, called his friends
parents, and then chain the kid to a radiator in the bathroom.

Rich.Andrews

TonyP wrote in news:K6NEc.57804$OT6.23515363
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

Rich.Andrews wrote:
(Radioman390) wrote in

@mb-m29.news.cs.com:

Should this be allowed?

Look at this auction being used to PUNISH!

Absolutely! I know someone who would have destroyed it while the kid
watched. Actions have results and the results may be undesireable.

Dad had to recoup some of his loss. Then the kid would also have to see
a doctor. I would have beaten the stuffin out of him, called his friends
parents, and then chain the kid to a radiator in the bathroom.

As much as one would like to inflict physical punishment for the
transgressions, chaining him to a radiator is a bit much.

William Sommerwerck

Allowed? It should be encouraged!!!

I'm not sure I altogether believe the listing, as he describes his 13-year-old
son as being 6'3". That's not unheard-of, but it's highly uncommon.

Should this be allowed?
Look at this auction being used to PUNISH!

William Sommerwerck

A couple of years ago I was in Toys R Us, standing in the checkout behind an
elderly gentleman whose grandchild was kicking and screaming because the toy his
granddad had bought him was not exactly what he wanted. (It was like the
comparable scene in "Babe," only worse.)

I can't tell you how badly I wanted to beat that child. I also wanted to
tongue-lash him and his grandfather, but I kept silent. If adults want to
indulge their offspring and refuse to discipline them... Well, they'll suffer
the consequences.

Mr. Tawny the Talking Tiger

I think the punishment fits the crime(s) admirably. At a certain age
a "spanking" doesn't mean anything. Once a child is old enough to
comprehend that actions have consequeces. Financial consequences are
the most easily understood, and often far more painful. If this kid
wants a Playstation again he is going to have to get it the old
fashioned way, working. And every minute he is toiling the memory of
why he is doing so will be gently burned into the back of his mind.

I can't beleive some of the punishments mentioned here either. I can
only hope you were joking, or you should look for professional help.

TonyP

Rich.Andrews wrote:

TonyP wrote in news:K6NEc.57804$OT6.23515363
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

Dad had to recoup some of his loss. Then the kid would also have to see
a doctor. I would have beaten the stuffin out of him, called his friends
parents, and then chain the kid to a radiator in the bathroom.

As much as one would like to inflict physical punishment for the
transgressions, chaining him to a radiator is a bit much.

Ok... you are right. The kitchen sink then...

TonyP

William Sommerwerck wrote:

A couple of years ago I was in Toys R Us, standing in the checkout behind an
elderly gentleman whose grandchild was kicking and screaming because the toy his
granddad had bought him was not exactly what he wanted. (It was like the
comparable scene in "Babe," only worse.)

I can't tell you how badly I wanted to beat that child. I also wanted to
tongue-lash him and his grandfather, but I kept silent. If adults want to
indulge their offspring and refuse to discipline them... Well, they'll suffer
the consequences.

And, that is where we get parental abuse from. My son is 14 and is
trying to test his 'authority' and 'dominance' in the home.
I told him if he wants to be the man and disrespect mother and sister, I
will beat him like a man. Of course, he can swing back. I told him he
could. After using him as a punching bag (body/arm shots only, not hard,
but solid contact), he relented. So, when he gets out of line, I remind
him of what happened and how it will happen again.

TonyP

Mr. Tawny the Talking Tiger wrote:

I think the punishment fits the crime(s) admirably. At a certain age
a "spanking" doesn't mean anything. Once a child is old enough to
comprehend that actions have consequeces. Financial consequences are
the most easily understood, and often far more painful. If this kid
wants a Playstation again he is going to have to get it the old
fashioned way, working. And every minute he is toiling the memory of
why he is doing so will be gently burned into the back of his mind.

I can't beleive some of the punishments mentioned here either. I can
only hope you were joking, or you should look for professional help.

The professional help (wife is one of those pychologists) is fine in
some cases. But a good spanking can help also. I know about strong
willed kids. I also know that by the time they are in their teens, and
you have allowed them 'free reign', there will be nothing you can do to
change it. Train them young. Be firm but loving. And, let them know that
there are consquences for their misbehavior, and DO IT.

Robert Morein

"TonyP" wrote in message
. net...
William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

I'm surprised how much you guys seem to endorse corporal punishment.
I would like to suggest that you treat it as a last resort. And when you do
use it, consider it as a failure to address issues that should have been
handled with more attention, perhaps beginning a long time ago.

Corporal punishment provides an opportunity for the inattentive parent, who
may not have realized that his child has gone astray, to bring his child
back to the fold at the last minute. But this does not come without cost.
When you use corporal punishment, you're also teaching your child that this
is the way to rear children.

Assuming you have a normal child, it should be possible for you to make him
part of YOUR world. If he feels part of this world, he won't want to go
against it or harm it. Give him constructive values, and you will minimize
the number of occasions where you, the parent, will have to put aside
civilized values to subdue your child.

Quality time with children does not simply involve recreating together. It
involves talking. The parent is the primary giver of moral values. No one
else -- teacher, pastor, or troop leader, can replace this role. Many
parents feel uncomfortable or inadequate doing this. But every day, every
situation you or your child encounter, has learning potential. You can
explain to your child how you handled a situation, and you can listen to
your son explain how he handled his, and give him advice.

TonyP

Robert Morein wrote:
"TonyP" wrote in message
. net...

And, that is where we get parental abuse from. My son is 14 and is
trying to test his 'authority' and 'dominance' in the home.
I told him if he wants to be the man and disrespect mother and sister, I
will beat him like a man. Of course, he can swing back. I told him he
could. After using him as a punching bag (body/arm shots only, not hard,
but solid contact), he relented. So, when he gets out of line, I remind
him of what happened and how it will happen again.

I'm surprised how much you guys seem to endorse corporal punishment.
I would like to suggest that you treat it as a last resort. And when you do
use it, consider it as a failure to address issues that should have been
handled with more attention, perhaps beginning a long time ago.

Wrong. Corporal punishment is a last resort. But not because issues
weren't addressed before hand. I guess, growing up, you were 100%
obedient to your parents and those in authority. There are plenty of
parents that lavish their kids with attention, yet, the kids walk all
over the parents.

Corporal punishment provides an opportunity for the inattentive parent, who
may not have realized that his child has gone astray, to bring his child
back to the fold at the last minute. But this does not come without cost.
When you use corporal punishment, you're also teaching your child that this
is the way to rear children.

Where you get this from is beyond me. How you can paint a broad brush
without any reference is plain wrong.

Assuming you have a normal child, it should be possible for you to make him
part of YOUR world. If he feels part of this world, he won't want to go
against it or harm it. Give him constructive values, and you will minimize
the number of occasions where you, the parent, will have to put aside
civilized values to subdue your child.

Come out into the world sometime. I am sure, living in your bubble that
everything is peachy cream.
BTW, do you have kids? And they are 'perfect'?

Quality time with children does not simply involve recreating together. It
involves talking. The parent is the primary giver of moral values. No one
else -- teacher, pastor, or troop leader, can replace this role. Many
parents feel uncomfortable or inadequate doing this. But every day, every
situation you or your child encounter, has learning potential. You can
explain to your child how you handled a situation, and you can listen to
your son explain how he handled his, and give him advice.

Let's see... when spanking was not a bad thing (way back when in the
50's early 60's), look at the crime stats for kids. Teen pregnancy for
kids. Drug abuse for kids. Parental abuse for kids. SAT scores for kids.
Violence in school for kids. EVERYTHING negative for kids. Compare it
to todays' stats. And then tell me what happened.
The "time out", "Dr. Spock", "don't hit him, it could harm him", "don't
leave him back in school, it will ruin his/her self esteem"... sounds
like something certain people are saying when dealing with terrorists.
Sometimes, phsyical punishment IS the only thing that they will
understand (after all else has been tried).

SAIL LOCO

I'm surprised how much you guys seem to endorse corporal punishment.

All one has to do is look how kids that grew up in the era of corporal
punishment turned out compared to the young "adults" of today. And it will
even get worse. Teachers today call parents to inform them of little Leroy's
actions and the parents show up at school looking to beat up the teacher.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Robert Morein

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
I'm surprised how much you guys seem to endorse corporal punishment.

All one has to do is look how kids that grew up in the era of corporal
punishment turned out compared to the young "adults" of today. And it

will
even get worse. Teachers today call parents to inform them of little

Leroy's
actions and the parents show up at school looking to beat up the teacher.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

I'm not ruling out corporal punishment. Please reread what I wrote.

All I'm saying is, we transfer our wisdom to our kids by communicating with
them. Corporal punishment does not do this. Sure, if for some reason, there
has been a communications failure, then you may have to spank them. Then go
back and ask yourself, "How did this comm failure occur, and what can I do
to bring my kids closer to me?"

As far as the type of corporal punishment, the object should be humilation.
When I hear people speak of wanting to "beat" their kid, this crosses the
line. This is teaching brutality. Sure, you may curb the current
misbehavior, but at a terrible cost later, at the core of your child's
misbehavior.

Personally, I was spanked exactly once, when I was four years old. However,
I was "punished" many times, while growing up, by sheer guilt at the various
shortfalls that all kids have in becoming adults. And my conscience grew
large, which is a tribute to my parents.

Robert Morein

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Allowed? It should be encouraged!!!

I'm not sure I altogether believe the listing, as he describes his

13-year-old
son as being 6'3". That's not unheard-of, but it's highly uncommon.

Should this be allowed?
Look at this auction being used to PUNISH!

It's a highly effective alternative to corporal punishment. The child is
effectively being taught that actions have consequences.

TonyP

Robert Morein wrote:

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message

I'm surprised how much you guys seem to endorse corporal punishment.

All one has to do is look how kids that grew up in the era of corporal
punishment turned out compared to the young "adults" of today. And it will
even get worse. Teachers today call parents to inform them of little Leroy's
actions and the parents show up at school looking to beat up the teacher.

I'm not ruling out corporal punishment. Please reread what I wrote.

It seemed that way.

All I'm saying is, we transfer our wisdom to our kids by communicating with
them. Corporal punishment does not do this. Sure, if for some reason, there
has been a communications failure, then you may have to spank them. Then go
back and ask yourself, "How did this comm failure occur, and what can I do
to bring my kids closer to me?"

Or... have you thought that the kid just wanted to do what the kid
wanted to do inspite of what you said?

As far as the type of corporal punishment, the object should be humilation.
When I hear people speak of wanting to "beat" their kid, this crosses the
line. This is teaching brutality. Sure, you may curb the current
misbehavior, but at a terrible cost later, at the core of your child's
misbehavior.

Really. Re-read the above reply to you. I never heard of a spanking that
didn't hurt.
Usually, a child's misbehavior is a rebellion against the rules that
have been set in place. Break the rules, there are consequences (gee,
just like in real life!). If you know the consequences and are willing
the break the rules anyway, you bring upon *yourself* the punishment
that was clearly expressed before hand.

Personally, I was spanked exactly once, when I was four years old. However,
I was "punished" many times, while growing up, by sheer guilt at the various
shortfalls that all kids have in becoming adults. And my conscience grew
large, which is a tribute to my parents.

And, the spanking made you into a deranged person.

Robert Morein

"TonyP" wrote in message
. net...
Robert Morein wrote:

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message

[...]

Mostly, that happens when you give the child rules, but don't make him part
of your world. You have to teach your child by example, by how you conduct
your life. Too many parents keep their children at arms length. Let your
child feel your pain; feel your joy.

As far as the type of corporal punishment, the object should be

humilation.
When I hear people speak of wanting to "beat" their kid, this crosses

the
line. This is teaching brutality. Sure, you may curb the current
misbehavior, but at a terrible cost later, at the core of your child's
misbehavior.

Really. Re-read the above reply to you. I never heard of a spanking that
didn't hurt.

A moderate spanking is not very painful. It is humiliating.

Usually, a child's misbehavior is a rebellion against the rules that
have been set in place. Break the rules, there are consequences (gee,
just like in real life!). If you know the consequences and are willing
the break the rules anyway, you bring upon *yourself* the punishment
that was clearly expressed before hand.

That is law, not parenting. As we progress from childhood to adulthood, we
enter a world that does run according to unfeeling statutes. If you commit a
crime, you are punished. However, such a system is not appropriate for
raising a child. Too many men think that childrearing is about setting rules
and demanding compliance. But they don't understand that the more important
part of parenting is nurturing.

Nurturing is not reserved for women. Nurturing means that you provide all
the emotional support and framework that helps your child grow. Nurturing
includes all kinds of positive reinforcement.

It's a shame that with all this talk of hitting and beating one's children,
no one has described what they do to nuture their child; to help him grow;
to help him develop positive attitudes, to make him feel good about himself,
and to make him feel part of the adult world as early as possible.

Personally, I was spanked exactly once, when I was four years old.

However,
I was "punished" many times, while growing up, by sheer guilt at the

various
shortfalls that all kids have in becoming adults. And my conscience grew
large, which is a tribute to my parents.

And, the spanking made you into a deranged person.

no useful info

"Robert Morein" wrote:

A moderate spanking is not very painful. It is humiliating.

It is only humiliating if the child lets it be...in todays society many
a child will brag to their friends that they made you fly off the handle
or that the spanking didn't hurt in the least.

It's a shame that with all this talk of hitting and beating one's children,
no one has described what they do to nuture their child; to help him grow;
to help him develop positive attitudes, to make him feel good about himself,
and to make him feel part of the adult world as early as possible.

it's obvious that you needed more nurturing as you've never learned to
admit that forging someones email addy is wrong.

no useful info

"no useful info" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote:

A moderate spanking is not very painful. It is humiliating.

It is only humiliating if the child lets it be...in todays society many
a child will brag to their friends that they made you fly off the handle
or that the spanking didn't hurt in the least.

It's a shame that with all this talk of hitting and beating one's

children,
no one has described what they do to nuture their child; to help him

grow;
to help him develop positive attitudes, to make him feel good about

himself,
and to make him feel part of the adult world as early as possible.

it's obvious that you needed more nurturing as you've never learned to
admit that forging someones email addy is wrong.

Let me make something clear: I am taking over the address "no useful info".
You can share it with me if you like.
If you think you have a legal claim, pursue it in court.

Robert Morein

"Robert Morein" wrote:

[...]

PS: Remember, I continue to offer you a truce, for which I ask very little:
1.Do not participate in responses to my threads.
2.Leave my questions alone.
3. Do not belittle me or my questions.

If you agree, I will cease using the name "no useful info."