Treble in recordings

Old August 17th 19, 02:40 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

Default Treble in recordings

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >, Tobiah > wrote:
>> On 8/7/19 10:35 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
>>> Here's a nice read...
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCM_adaptor

>> This helps to explain the choice of sampling frequency for the CD,
>> because the number of video lines, frame rate and bits per line
>> end up dictating the sampling frequency one can achieve, that
>> sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz was thus adopted in the Compact Disc.

> Except that 44.1 isn't exactly the same as 44.056, so there's a minimal
> pitch shift involved with PCM F-1 (but not PCM 1610) transfers. People
> fought for years about whether it could be audible, which it probably
> can't be.
> --scott

It's about 1.72 cents. Not much, but it might be audible in ... sort of
a tuning context.

In performance? No. I've seen tuning *offsets* for some instruments 10x
that.

--
Les Cargill
Old August 17th 19, 02:53 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> geoff > wrote:
>> Many first generation remastered CDs had the treble that was there
>> cranked to make up for the higher treble that didn't exist. Which is why
>> many sounded harsh and glary.

> Maybe.
>
> On the other hand, there are recordings from the seventies, like Hotel
> California, that were clearly made by people blasted out of their skulls
> on cocaine who are massively boosting the top end.
>
> The original 45 and the consequent LP are listenable because the top end
> had to be tamed down just to cut it. But the CD reissue sounds just like
> the master and is painful to hear.

They hired Szymczyk and dumped Glyn Johns because Szymczyk would do what
he was told. So... okay. Ego is a hell of a drug...

That's actually the first CD I ever bought. What I had attributed to
surface noise from the LP was actually on the master.

Sounded good on the radio, though.

--
Les Cargill

Treble Distortion [email protected] General 1 July 27th 05 12:48 AM
High SPL Treble Curious Tech 42 March 3rd 04 06:08 PM
High SPL Treble Curious Tech 72 February 5th 04 10:05 PM
Why don't classical piano recordings sound as good as pop recordings? Brian Patterson High End Audio 18 January 9th 04 04:12 AM