Fireport Won't Connect

Old August 15th 19, 07:39 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_11_]

Default Fireport Won't Connect

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 16:52:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>Hey guys!
>
>Got a used Fireport earlier this year from ebay and sadly didn't get a chance to try it out until now...and it won't work. It fires up, has power, powers the drive, but the software always says that it can't see any drives connected.
>
>I've tried this on Mac as well as PC...does anyone know if there's any tricks I'm missing here to get this to work? Used both the HDtools app as well as the native app that Alesis released.
>
>Any help much appreciated!!
>Thanks,
>Sig

When I was a maintenance engineer for a tv studio, manufacturers
claimed that you could plug in firewire cables when the equipment was
powered up. That led to many blown firewire ports until I convinced
users that claim was bs. You could very well have a blown port.
Old August 16th 19, 01:38 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

I don't know why, but that version of FstConnect crashes when installing on the last version of Tiger, and even though it says it works on Leopard, it says "can't install on this OS"...I've tried it on 4 different types of Mac systems now using various versions of Leopard installed...?

:

https://www.alesis.com/products/view/hd24#

Old August 16th 19, 02:12 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 8/15/2019 2:39 PM, Chuck wrote:
> When I was a maintenance engineer for a tv studio, manufacturers
> claimed that you could plug in firewire cables when the equipment was
> powered up. That led to many blown firewire ports until I convinced
> users that claim was bs. You could very well have a blown port.

It's not the data part of the Firewire port that blows up when
hot-plugging, it's the power part. Disk drives are usually not a
problem, but some devices have a high enough current surge when
connected to a powered Firewire port that a the powering circuitry
complains. I don't remember what the spec is, but it seems you can draw
a couple of amps (nominal) through a Firewire port, and something could
draw considerably more current than that when starting "cold."

Quick product review: Fireport 1394 for the Alesis HD24 WJ Pro Audio 1 September 3rd 05 07:44 AM
should i buy a fireport Garf Pro Audio 4 March 21st 05 12:13 AM
Mic Cable: To connect or not to connect?? Newsguy Pro Audio 34 May 18th 04 07:16 PM
Mic Cable: To connect or not to connect?? Newsguy Pro Audio 0 May 15th 04 11:21 PM
Alesis HD24 Fireport 1394? Michal Pro Audio 1 September 5th 03 11:19 PM