John Smith

Default Radford SC2 Lineup

Hello

Have a Radford SC2 Tube preamp. So well made but without tubes. Anyone
have the tube lineup?

John

Mike Coatham

"John Smith" wrote in message
Hello

Have a Radford SC2 Tube preamp. So well made but without tubes. Anyone
have the tube lineup?

John

Uses ECC83's........

ajb

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:06:27 +1300, "John Smith"
wrote:

Hello

Have a Radford SC2 Tube preamp. So well made but without tubes. Anyone
have the tube lineup?

John

I bought mine new from the Radford place. As it happened Arthur
Radford chanced to be there and we had a most interesting discussion.
Amongst other things he said that the circuit constants were such that
with a manufacturer of good quality valves in the first place, no
special selection was required. [1]

The fount of all knowledge for Radford Hi-Fi is to be found at
http://freespace.virgin.net/m.davis/index.htm
Do get in touch with them.

I once attended a double blind testing between Quad and Radford, using
a variety of sources and either Quad electrostatic loudspeakers or
Tannoy Corner Guy R Fountain Autographs, and it was a no-score draw -
no-one could distinguish the difference between the amplifiers,
although the loudspeakers were definitely different in quality (the
opinion as to 'best' was divided.) I have both equivalent amplifiers
here, and cannot without instruments tell the difference. I think you
will find your SC2 is very well worth putting back in order, and it
will give you very satisfactory service.

Regards

ajb

[1] My own installation is still in excellent working order. The only
fault it has ever developed was a dry joint on the surge limiting
resistance (was it a thermistor? - I forget) on the rectifier valve
base in the amplifier proper.

P.S. Peter Walker, the founder and moving spirit of Quad, died last
week. RIP.

--
ajb

If I had all the money I've spent on drink....

I'd spend it on drink.