Sigurd Stenersen

Default Monitor stands

I want to put my Mackies in ear height (while I'm sitting down), and my desk
is just too low. Getting a little bit of distance from the walls would be
good, too.

What kind of stands would do the job ?

--

Sigurd
http://utvikling.com

Sigurd Stenersen

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
I want to put my Mackies in ear height (while I'm sitting down), and
my desk is just too low. Getting a little bit of distance from the
walls would be good, too.

What kind of stands would do the job ?

A stack of old tape machine manuals will work. Milk crates are too
light and will tend to conduct low frequencies too easily. Cinder
blocks are just fine too. You could make little boxes out of oak
plywood if you wanted. --scott

Thank you for answering.

I'm looking for something that doesn't seem too... errhhh... home made, or
something. I'd like to buy something that looks okay and that allows me to
put the monitors in ear height. Price does not matter that much, a few
hundred bucks is okay. If it improves the sound, that's a bonus but not
strictly necessary.

My desk isn't *that* low, but it would be nice to have the monitors a couple
of inches higher and also increasing the distance from the walls and having
more desk space would be nice.

--

Sigurd
http://utvikling.com

hank alrich

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:

I'm looking for something that doesn't seem too... errhhh... home made, or
something. I'd like to buy something that looks okay and that allows me to
put the monitors in ear height. Price does not matter that much, a few
hundred bucks is okay. If it improves the sound, that's a bonus but not
strictly necessary.

Look into Sound Anchors.

--
ha
Sugarite

I'm looking for something that doesn't seem too... errhhh... home made,
or
something. I'd like to buy something that looks okay and that allows me

put the monitors in ear height. Price does not matter that much, a few
hundred bucks is okay. If it improves the sound, that's a bonus but not
strictly necessary.

My desk isn't *that* low, but it would be nice to have the monitors a

couple
of inches higher and also increasing the distance from the walls and

having
more desk space would be nice.

You should really get some mass-loaded audiophile speaker stands (metal
tubing construction filled with sand or lead shot). The metal acts as a
conductor to couple the speaker cabinet to the loose mass, which absorbs the
solid-body vibrations. The bass output is marginally reduced, only because
the bass resonance has been attenuated, and the midrange and treble are more
defined without the intermodular distortion of a vibrating cabinet.
Anything else will reflect vibrations back up, compounding cabinet
resonance, and often generate additional resonate on its own.

Why such stands aren't commonplace in studios is a mystery to me. Good ones
are only maybe $275, and they improve a speaker far more than a $275
upgrade.

Ben

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
I want to put my Mackies in ear height (while I'm sitting down), and my desk
is just too low. Getting a little bit of distance from the walls would be
good, too.

What kind of stands would do the job ?

I have Target Audio speaker stands. I like them. Very strong
construction, very heavy steel construction. There are spaces inside
the 4 vertical supports that couldn be filled with sand if I wanted to
get tweaky. But heavy and strong as they are I haven't felt the need to
mess with success.

-Ben

Aaron J. Grier

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
I want to put my Mackies in ear height (while I'm sitting down), and
my desk is just too low. Getting a little bit of distance from the
walls would be good, too.

What kind of stands would do the job ?

I like my ultimate stands.
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/monitorstands.html

I probably should fill 'em with sand... and caulk them before I do...

--
Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
"someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
Garrett

Well I can't say anything about these but I just happened to run across
this minute after reading your post. So if you handy check these out.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html

cheers

garrett

Sigurd Stenersen

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
I want to put my Mackies in ear height (while I'm sitting down), and
my desk is just too low. Getting a little bit of distance from the
walls would be good, too.

What kind of stands would do the job ?

I would like to thank everybody who replied to this question. I've been
reading each reply repeatedly over the last couple of days, and your
feedback is greatly appreciated.

The overall message I get is that it makes a lot of sense to get stands that
are quite heavy, as this will improve sound quality. I've done a lot of
googling and thus been able to find most of the suggested products, and I
also find the DIY project very educational and interesting.

So far I haven't come to a conclusion, but I guess I'll skip the DIY to save
time (it *does* look very interesting, tho) and as we're talking about
rather big and heavy items I think I'll probably go for something that's
available in Norway or at least in Europe to avoid going bankrupt on the
shipping charges alone.

Anyway, I'm not in a big hurry and I'll put some more thought into this.
Any and all suggestions about what to get and where to get it are still very
welcome.

Thank you all,

Sigurd
http://utvikling.com