Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default Pultec EQP clone problem

On Monday, 1 March 2021 at 14:29:10 UTC, Don Pearce wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 06:01:58 -0800 (PST), gareth magennis
wrote:

On Monday, 1 March 2021 at 10:12:40 UTC, Don Pearce wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 20:58:52 +1300, geoff
wrote:

On 1/03/2021 8:43 pm, Don Pearce wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 12:48:16 +1300, geoff
wrote:

On 1/03/2021 8:55 am, Don Pearce wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 04:31:33 -0800 (PST), "

Since you won't get off your lazy arse and do the work, I've done it
for you. Of course I knew precisely what the result would be before I
started, but it was a boring Sunday evening so here goes.

https://youtu.be/-hQgI0eCO08

I think a spectrum analyser display would have been more relevant.

geoff

No it would not. The screen I showed illustrated perfectly that there
was no selective harmonic boosting going on. That would have resulted
in a beat walking through the ring. A rock-solid, edge-induced ring is
what I intended to show, and that is exactly what I did show. Now, how
about addressing the result?

I would be curious to see the oredrs of harmonics and if they altered
over freq.

geoff
I've taken an FFT showing all the harmonics up to and beyond the
ringing frequency. The harmonic at the ringing frequency is marked.
Make of it what you will.

http://www.soundthoughts.co.uk/look/ringing.gif

The ring itself is of very short duration so despite its amplitude, it
contains very little energy compared to the harmonics which are
continuous. That is why it won't show up in the frequency domain
(unless the Q is so high that it continues at considerable amplitude
all the way to the next excitation). To see such a low energy signal
you have to choose the appropriate domain, the one in which it can be
isolated. That of course is time. I'm really disappointed that I have
to go though these hoops - they should not be necessary for a
technical audience.

These are screenshots of the Pultec clone ringing:
https://imgur.com/Ou0BGml

and with 100 Ohms in series with 0.01uF:
https://imgur.com/jaLv5Dz

Did you get those backwards? The one with the 100 ohms is much worse.
That first one though - pretty much identical to my tests. The FFT
would look identical for sure. I think I nailed it.

No I didn't get them backwards, I just assumed that the much larger initial overshoot would be more likely to cause the 90Hz issue than the longer ringing.

Don't know what that was based upon really, other than a guess.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 07:39:07 -0800 (PST), gareth magennis

These are screenshots of the Pultec clone ringing:
https://imgur.com/Ou0BGml

and with 100 Ohms in series with 0.01uF:
https://imgur.com/jaLv5Dz

Did you get those backwards? The one with the 100 ohms is much worse.
That first one though - pretty much identical to my tests. The FFT
would look identical for sure. I think I nailed it.

No I didn't get them backwards, I just assumed that the much larger initial overshoot would be more likely to cause the 90Hz issue than the longer ringing.

Don't know what that was based upon really, other than a guess.

No. If that second one is "fixed" - they have real issues.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] palli...@gmail.com is offline

Don Pearce wrote:
===================

** Time for you to present the *spectrum* of a ringing square wave.
In the frequency domain.
Not one, tiny, leading cycle on a scope trace.

Cos that was NEVER the question and YOU know it.

That "one tiny leading cycle" IS the ringing. It is all of the
ringing. There is no more. The mechanism doesn't create more. It shows
ringing in the domain in which it happens - time.

** NEVER the question - you stinking pommy LIAR

**** you

...... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, 1 March 2021 at 16:06:29 UTC, Don Pearce wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 07:39:07 -0800 (PST), gareth magennis

These are screenshots of the Pultec clone ringing:
https://imgur.com/Ou0BGml

and with 100 Ohms in series with 0.01uF:
https://imgur.com/jaLv5Dz

Did you get those backwards? The one with the 100 ohms is much worse.
That first one though - pretty much identical to my tests. The FFT
would look identical for sure. I think I nailed it.

No I didn't get them backwards, I just assumed that the much larger initial overshoot would be more likely to cause the 90Hz issue than the longer ringing.

Don't know what that was based upon really, other than a guess.

No. If that second one is "fixed" - they have real issues.

Yes, that is far from fixed.

I think I'm more used to low pass filters than resonant circuits.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote:
================

I would be curious to see the oredrs of harmonics and if they altered
over freq.

geoff

I've taken an FFT showing all the harmonics up to and beyond the
ringing frequency. The harmonic at the ringing frequency is marked.

** Where ??

http://www.soundthoughts.co.uk/look/ringing.gif

The ring itself is of very short duration so despite its amplitude, it
contains very little energy compared to the harmonics which are
continuous. That is why it won't show up in the frequency domain

** Then you need to make make a *better* test.
Cos that one ****ing SUCKS.
FYI:

I used one of these:

https://uk.farnell.com/oep-oxford-el...ohm/dp/1172343

It rings at 34kHz, exactly as in the link from Scott Dorsey.

http://www.panix.com/~kludge/xformers/DSC00258.JPG

Stop being petulant child.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2/03/2021 8:50 am, wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:
================

[...]

And that 34kHz ring is the same freq if excited by the leading edge of a
2kHz square wave, or by a 1kHz or a 5kHz square wave ? The harmonics of
those square wave frequencies being another thing and unrelated ...

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_3_] Ralph Barone[_3_] is offline

wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:
================

[...]

OK, so Scotts picture shows a transformer being driven with a 1 kHz square
wave (which has, by definition no even harmonics), and you claim it is
ringing at the 34th harmonic. Would this not disprove your claim?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
==========

And that 34kHz ring is the same freq if excited by the leading edge of a
2kHz square wave, or by a 1kHz or a 5kHz square wave ?

** The ringing is consistent.

The harmonics of
those square wave frequencies being another thing and unrelated ...

**The frequency *spectrum* of the ringing square wave was the question.

Is the ringing frequency evident IN it or not ?

( BTW a decaying sine wave is not one frequency )

Is a *new* frequency being create merely by a resonance ?

Are the laws of physics being broken ?

....... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ralph Barone wrote:

OK, so Scotts picture shows a transformer being driven with a 1 kHz square
wave (which has, by definition no even harmonics), and you claim it is
ringing at the 34th harmonic.

** I claim no such thing.
I used my own tranny, as linked,

....... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 08:58:49 +1300, geoff
wrote:

I used one of these:

https://uk.farnell.com/oep-oxford-el...ohm/dp/1172343

It rings at 34kHz, exactly as in the link from Scott Dorsey.

http://www.panix.com/~kludge/xformers/DSC00258.JPG

Stop being petulant child.

..... Phil

And that 34kHz ring is the same freq if excited by the leading edge of a
2kHz square wave, or by a 1kHz or a 5kHz square wave ? The harmonics of
those square wave frequencies being another thing and unrelated ...

geoff

I did think Phil was just being an arsehole because that is what he
is. But it is now clear that he actually doesn't understand any of
this.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] palli...@gmail.com is offline

Don Pearce wrote:
=======================

** What a massive oversnip.

I did think Phil was just being an arsehole because that is what he
is.

** ROTFL - so says a lying, petulant, bloated ego pommy ****head.

it is now clear that he actually doesn't understand any of this.

** The very opposite is so damn clear.

The so called "ringing frequency" is absent from the spectrum.
A linear system cannot not generate new frequencies.

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 14:05:04 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
=======================

** What a massive oversnip.

I did think Phil was just being an arsehole because that is what he
is.

** ROTFL - so says a lying, petulant, bloated ego pommy ****head.

it is now clear that he actually doesn't understand any of this.

** The very opposite is so damn clear.

The so called "ringing frequency" is absent from the spectrum.
A linear system cannot not generate new frequencies.

As I said - he doesn't understand - despite my having explained the
broadband spectral content of a fast edge. But then he can't read what
others write.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] palli...@gmail.com is offline

Don Pearce wrote:
---------------------------------

** What a massive oversnip.

I did think Phil was just being an arsehole because that is what he
is.

** ROTFL - so says a lying, petulant, bloated ego pommy ****head.

it is now clear that he actually doesn't understand any of this.

** The very opposite is so damn clear.

The so called "ringing frequency" is absent from the spectrum.
A linear system cannot not generate new frequencies.

As I said - he doesn't understand - despite my having explained the
broadband spectral content of a fast edge.

** Don is LYING about what the question is.

He has done this many times before.
He is a thoroughly despicable person.
A vile, pommy narcissist.

There are millions of them.

Plenty here in Australia too.
Scum of the earth.

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:

I used one of these:

https://uk.farnell.com/oep-oxford-el...ohm/dp/1172343

It rings at 34kHz, exactly as in the link from Scott Dorsey.

http://www.panix.com/~kludge/xformers/DSC00258.JPG

I sure hope it doesn't ring like that picture. The OEP is not exactly a
high-end product but if you're seeing more than one cycle of ringing then
it's time to send it back.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
-------------------------------
I used one of these:

https://uk.farnell.com/oep-oxford-el...ohm/dp/1172343

It rings at 34kHz, exactly as in the link from Scott Dorsey.

http://www.panix.com/~kludge/xformers/DSC00258.JPG

I sure hope it doesn't ring like that picture.

** Of course it does - silly.

The OEP is not exactly a
high-end product but if you're seeing more than one cycle of ringing then
it's time to send it back.

** You may have missed the fact that it was *unloaded* at the time.

When 2.7kohms is connected to the output, all signs of "ringing" disappear.

The tranny is intended to link 600 ohms sources to similar loads.

Normally comes with full mu-metal shielding and is pretty damn good.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Ralph Barone wrote:

OK, so Scotts picture shows a transformer being driven with a 1 kHz square
wave (which has, by definition no even harmonics), and you claim it is
ringing at the 34th harmonic.

** I claim no such thing.
I used my own tranny, as linked,

...... Phil

OK, so you claim that you used your own transformer and €œIt rings at 34kHz,
exactly as in the link from Scott Dorsey.€, which, if I can still
comprehend English, implies that both your transformer and Scotts rang at
34 kHz. Unfortunately, the picture that Scott posted showed the transformer
being driven with a 1 kHz square wave, which contains absolutely no 34 kHz
content, if Mssr Fourier is to believed. Please explain.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ralph Boring wrote:
=====================

OK, so you claim that you used your own transformer and €œIt rings at 34kHz,
exactly as in the link from Scott Dorsey.€, which, if I can still
comprehend English, implies that both your transformer and Scotts rang at
34 kHz. Unfortunately, the picture that Scott posted showed the transformer
being driven with a 1 kHz square wave, which contains absolutely no 34 kHz
content, if Mssr Fourier is to believed. Please explain.

** One thing at a time:

1. What does " exactly as" really mean here ?

2. I did not use 1kHz - I used 3.5

3. Scott's tranny rings at circa 28kHz - undamped.

4. Energy to support ringing can come from a narrow band of frequencies - either side .

5. The FFT spectrum (ie dozens of vertical lines) shows " bump" around the visible ringing frequency.

6. That "bump" goes away when the tranny is loaded .

7. Strangely there is NO new line for the actual frequency.

So no frequency creation going on.

........... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_3_] Ralph Barone[_3_] is offline

wrote:
Ralph Boring wrote:
====================
OK, so you claim that you used your own transformer and It rings at 34kHz,
exactly as in the link from Scott Dorsey., which, if I can still
comprehend English, implies that both your transformer and Scotts rang at
34 kHz. Unfortunately, the picture that Scott posted showed the transformer
being driven with a 1 kHz square wave, which contains absolutely no 34 kHz
content, if Mssr Fourier is to believed. Please explain.

** One thing at a time:

1. What does " exactly as" really mean here ?

.......... Phil

You tell me. I copied it from YOUR post and put it in quotation marks,
which YOU then removed so that you could ask what I meant.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ralph Boring wrote:
==============

** One thing at a time:

1. What does " exactly as" really mean here ?

You tell me.

** How about you tell me first ?

Seems you think you know.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 2/03/2021 8:35 am, Don Pearce wrote:

I did think Phil was just being an arsehole because that is what he
is. But it is now clear that he actually doesn't understand any of
this.

The biggest assholes are people who dont understand and will never admit
it. That's why they always resort to personal abuse instead of facts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis wrote:
===================

These are screenshots of the Pultec clone ringing:
https://imgur.com/Ou0BGml

and with 100 Ohms in series with 0.01uF:
https://imgur.com/jaLv5Dz

** Nothing unusual with either.

The ringing is outside the audible range.

...... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
===============

I would be curious to see the oredrs of harmonics and if they altered
over freq.

** I now have a jpeg image showing exactly that for you.

VERY clearly.

Where can I email it ?

....... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

===============

gareth magennis wrote:
===================

These are screenshots of the Pultec clone ringing:
https://imgur.com/Ou0BGml

and with 100 Ohms in series with 0.01uF:
https://imgur.com/jaLv5Dz

** Nothing unusual with either.

The ringing is outside the audible range.

..... Phil

The ringing isn't necessarily the problem. The problem is that under certain conditions the unit oscillates at 90Hz, a phenomenom I still have not witnessed, but this has been confirmed by the company as a known issue with this early production unit.
The ASSUMPTION is that the ringing is somehow the cause of the 90Hz oscillation, and reducing the ringing will solve the problem.

The company issued a mod to tackle the 90 Hz problem, but we don't know what that mod is, or whether it is designed to reduce the ringing, or whether the mod adresses a different issue altogether.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis wrote:

==================

The ringing isn't necessarily the problem. The problem is that under certain conditions the unit oscillates at 90Hz,
a phenomenom I still have not witnessed, but this has been confirmed by the company as a known issue with
this early production unit.
The ASSUMPTION is that the ringing is somehow the cause of the 90Hz oscillation, and reducing the ringing will solve the problem.

The company issued a mod to tackle the 90 Hz problem, but we don't know what that mod is,
or whether it is designed to reduce the ringing, or whether the mod adresses a different issue altogether.

** I once heard about a tribe of African natives who had not figured the cause of female tribe members becoming pregnant.

Witch doctors invented many semi plausible theories, which tribe members were obliged to believe.
Most involved the intervention of spirits and animal gods.

Do you see any parallel here yet ??

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, 5 March 2021 at 09:46:05 UTC, wrote:
gareth magennis wrote:

==================

[...]

Ok, my last post got me thinking.

I posted earlier that 100 ohms in series with around 2nF produced full blown oscillations.
I was scoping the ringing at the time, didn't have audio monitoring connected, and didn't notice that it was motorboating at a few Hz as I didn't want the unit to be oscillating like that for long.

So this recreates the symptoms. Full blown oscillations of around 100kHz and 60v pk to pk dumps the power supply and it motorboats.

The ringing is at the same frequency.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis wrote:

==================

[...]

Pic here.
https://imgur.com/YmkTq5N
Posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis wrote:
====================

[...]

** What you have is not called "motorboating".

An oscillation that self extinguishes and restarts over and over is said to be " squegging ".
It is mostly a layout and wiring issue causing *positive* feedback.

Make sure no output signal is being coupled back to the input by stray capacitance.

Is the output transformer metal grounded?
All wiring shielded?

...... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, 5 March 2021 at 21:12:38 UTC, wrote:
gareth magennis wrote:
====================

[...]

This is an issue that has been ackowledged by the company as an issue in the early production units.

This is one of those units, it HAS a design problem.

When I first noticed the oscillation, it was with a dummy load on the bench with a scope probe.

The customer has complained of exactly the same thing I have now demonstrated by connecting 100 ohms in series with 22nF on the output on the bench.

I have spent quite a few unpaid hours trying to find a solution to this, whilst assuming the company has done all of this already and issued a mod to rectify the problem.

I have other repairs that need my attention now, this is not a hobby of mine, though I appreciate the knowledge gained by this experience greatly.
And the customer still hasn't got his unit back.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis is a half wit wrote:
============================
** What you have is not called "motorboating".

An oscillation that self extinguishes and restarts over and over is said to be " squegging ".
It is mostly a layout and wiring issue causing *positive* feedback.

Make sure no output signal is being coupled back to the input by stray capacitance.

Is the output transformer metal grounded?
All wiring shielded?

..... Phil

This is an issue that has been ackowledged by the company as an issue in the early production units.
This is one of those units, it HAS a design problem.

** All stale news.

Why bother posting here if not to get tech advice?

You are one rude, stupid prick.

....... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, 5 March 2021 at 22:14:34 UTC, wrote:
[...]

Phil, did you not notice you gave some valuable tech advice there?

I did.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis wrote:
I posted earlier that 100 ohms in series with around 2nF produced full blown oscillations.
I was scoping the ringing at the time, didn't have audio monitoring connected, and didn't notice that it was motorboating at a few Hz as I didn't want the unit to be oscillating like that for long.

So this recreates the symptoms. Full blown oscillations of around 100kHz and 60v pk to pk dumps the power supply and it motorboats.

This would explain motorboating into long cables. It's not related to the
transformer ringing (except in that it also might be a consequence of crappy
transformers). But when it motorboats, you see the it ring, because it rings.

The ringing is at the same frequency.

You have multiple serious design problems here. Send it back, get a real
Pultec.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Why bother posting here if not to get tech advice?

Because we have the best Chinese food.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/03/2021 7:38 pm, wrote:
geoff wrote:
===============

I would be curious to see the oredrs of harmonics and if they altered
over freq.

** I now have a jpeg image showing exactly that for you.

VERY clearly.

Where can I email it ?

...... Phil

imgur.com or Dropbox maybe ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
===================

wrote:

Why bother posting here if not to get tech advice?

Because we have the best Chinese food.

** Please, no Wuhan bat soup for me !!

....... Phil

Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit Paul Dorman Pro Audio 82 January 5th 21 03:50 AM
Good amps to clone Bret L Vacuum Tubes 0 April 25th 10 12:35 AM
WTB Waves Q-Clone License Haolemon Pro Audio 1 September 16th 07 08:26 AM
The clone marching on [email protected] Audio Opinions 5 August 23rd 07 05:23 AM
N72 1272 clone Studio Froombosch Pro Audio 0 March 31st 04 01:52 PM