Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Yeah Good Yeah Good is offline

Default FOSTEX 812

четверг, 10 августа 2000 г. в 10:00:00 UTC+3, Jeff Jasper:
Kaydp wrote:
I'm looking for people who have used or still use the Fostex 812 mixer.....
Is it still one of the better
(older) mixers or should I really go for a Behringer MX2442a ?

Several years ago I bought the Fostex 820, which is the same mixer but with 20
inputs instead of 12. I bought it after looking at an 812 in a guitar store --
but not after listening to it. I used it for about a year and a half, and now
it's in the closet. It makes an excellent carpet masher. There is nothing
that I like about it.
It's hissy as hell. I couldn't believe that any mixer could be noiser than my
previous Yamaha 1604, but Fostex did it. The mic preamps totally suck.
The monitor bus is very low. The headphone amp was underpowered, noisy, and
burned up after 3 months.
The faders feel like ****. No, wait, **** is smooth, so that's wrong.
The pans are not balanced, so center is off-center.
When they say "8 out" they mean 8 out. There is no real stereo bus. I wound
up mult-ing outs 1-4 to my 8-track, using 5 & 6 to DAT, and 7 & 8 to 2-track.
The "phantom" power is only 24 volts. I guess the other +24V are just a
phantom in my dreams? I was lucky that I had a mic that would run at low
voltage while I waited for an outboard power supply to arrive (a Shure SM-81 --
everybody's favorite for vocals, huh?).
The preamps didn't have enough gain to really adequately drive an RE-20, even
after deciding to ignore the noise cuz I _HAD_ to get some car spots out.
Altho that combination did a great job of sounding like I was on the fringe of
a Marti remote transmitter's range when I was doing some fake "radio remote"
spots.
And all this cost me only $2400. Not that I'm bitter.
I would not buy or recommend anything Behringer, just on general principles.
Go buy yourself a nice Mackie; I did. Even tho they are a low-end board, they
get the job done for basic purposes like what I'm doing, and will probably be a
joy for you. You'll have a fairly quiet board with adequate sends and a couple
of usable headphone amps.
Good luck!
Jeff Jasper
Results Video, El Paso TX

100% agreed, Renee! Got our Fostex 812 for the live home attempts and after a week going to sell it maybe at a half price (if we'll get about $100, we'll be happy). It's noisy, feeling weak and have the strange line level 'home consumer' inputs where all the synths go superhot from the start. Sure, we can attenuate level by the synth control, but wait.. Maybe if you found one in really perfect condition you'll be happy with it due to it's sweet-not-sweet-but-really good eq lines. Or if you want to have degraded signal like you got it from tape. So, main: you can be lo-fi god with it if you'll find the way to fit your musical ideas into this hissed hummed unstable analogue box.

FS: Fostex FR2 [email protected] Pro Audio 1 March 12th 08 09:12 PM
Fostex G16/24 again boardjunkie Pro Audio 7 February 14th 08 06:56 AM
Fostex FR2 Jeffrey Friedman Pro Audio 7 February 21st 04 03:29 PM
NEW FOSTEX VR-800 FA WAAA23 Pro Audio 0 November 17th 03 06:49 PM
NEW FOSTEX VR-800 FA WAAA23 Marketplace 0 November 17th 03 06:48 PM