Posted to rec.audio.car
George

Default playing waveforms that are clipped to begin with

Is it dangerous to play MP3/WAV files that, when viewing their waveform in
an editor program, show that the waveform is clipped at the loudest
points? I understand that speakers are in danger when head units or
amplifiers clip a signal, but I do have a number of
digital music files that seem to contain clipping to begin with, and I am
afraid I may be causing damage to my speakers or sub.

Thanks for any help,
George
Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

George wrote in
news
Is it dangerous to play MP3/WAV files that, when viewing their
waveform in an editor program, show that the waveform is clipped at
the loudest points? I understand that speakers are in danger when
head units or amplifiers clip a signal, but I do have a number of
digital music files that seem to contain clipping to begin with, and I
am afraid I may be causing damage to my speakers or sub.

Thanks for any help,
George

I think that's a toss-up. A lot of people will say no and a lot of people
will say yes. My guess is that it won't hurt anything at considerable
volume and power levels. You're not getting much more than a square wave
with high amplitude, and your amp will be reproducing this, but if you're
hearing a noise that sounds like popping or a fart I'd be more worried
about physically busting your speaker cone at high volume rather than
overheating your amp or voice coils. Still, it's a toss up. I don't think
people really have the experience with this, but I've heard a few arguments
about it. If you really want to, download a different unclipped copy of the
audio if you can, or download Goldwave and try to clean it up a little bit.

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.audio.car
Cyrus

In article ,
George wrote:

Is it dangerous to play MP3/WAV files that, when viewing their waveform in
an editor program, show that the waveform is clipped at the loudest
points? I understand that speakers are in danger when head units or
amplifiers clip a signal, but I do have a number of
digital music files that seem to contain clipping to begin with, and I am
afraid I may be causing damage to my speakers or sub.

Thanks for any help,
George

All popular music from about the last 10 years is "clipped". If you look
at a waveform and it resembles a 2x4, chances are its been limited to
-0.3db of its life.

Notice though that this clipping is present before your amplifier on
previously recorded material, clipping that is produced as an artifact
of driving an amplifier too hard is another story.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*