Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Rob B

Default How in the hell do you mic a bagpipe???

I have played pipes for about 35 years and also play small pipes and
Uillean somewhat, and own a studio that has recorded quite a few
players. If your recording is going to be solo pipes, probably 2 mics
would be the best. One about 3 - 4 feet in front about chanter height,
and one about 8 feet up and 8 feet back behind the player. This will
give you some chanter/drone balance choices. If it is with other
instruments, just the chanter mic. I have good luck with a Dragonfly
into a Great River MP2NV. Don't use any compression, the volume
difference on the chanter from top to bottom will make the drones pump
wildly.
My 2 cents anyway!
Rob