Usenet Service

Old April 5th 21, 08:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

Default Usenet Service

On 31/03/2021 22:08, mcp6453 wrote:
> I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
> group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
> I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
> there is such a thing these days.

Just one point, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, and while
there are quite a few free news swervers such as eternal september, that
one, while excellent, is run as a hobby, (Literally a server in his
bedroom, last tine I checked) and he appreciates donations towards the
cost of equipment and bandwidth.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old April 5th 21, 02:47 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
MuseChaser

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:08:46 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:
> I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
> group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
> I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
> there is such a thing these days.

Holmez isn's not beautiful or intuitive, but the price is right. Haven't found a way to save this newsgroup for easy access each time, and when you search you have to scroll down past a punch of other hits to find the "search for newsgroups" field. Also, so far, I've only been able to reply to the initial posts in threads, and not to followups. For instamce, I could only post this reply to the thread opener...I couldn't reply directly to the post inquring about Holmez?
Old April 6th 21, 08:07 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah[_6_]

> nntp.aioe.org with Thunderbird has been working for me.

Me2. Free and reliable.