A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter.com

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter.com forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old March 27th 21, 04:49 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,841
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

Barry B > wrote:
>es from you and Mike), I looked up Mercenary and tried to find Fletcher, on=
>ly to discover that the Mercenary of olden is no more. Fletcher appears to =
>have taken a gig w Telefunken for a bit after leaving Mercenary, but judgin=
>g from Mike's response above, he has gone on to a different calling at this=
> point. Understandable. Sure would be fun to find his bar!


It is "Plan B" in Suffern, NY. I have never been there. Our plan was to
check it out after the AES show last year, except that... events changed.

I think he has the right idea. Club owners are the only people that make
money off of live music...
--scott
>
>
>> >

>> I have (amongst several others - several MOTU, Aphex, that old Delta=20
>> 1010, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and 18i20, way back to Turtle Beach=20
>> Multisound (wonder how Dave Haynie is going...), and a few others.=20
>>=20
>> Have had no problems whatsoever with the Focusrite drivers or hardware,=

>=20
>> or major sound differences wrt mic-fussiness. Everything sounds pretty=20
>> much as expected and not significantly different to any of the others.=20
>> maybe my hearing is going ...=20
>>=20
>> In fact, unlike in the 'old days' anything USB-based seems a doodle=20
>> compared to the previous attachment methods . Only catch is to follow=20
>> the instructions as to what to do first - either install the driver or=20
>> attach the device.=20
>>=20
>> geoff

>
>Good to know, geoff... very helpful. One thing I enjoyed at the session on=
> Monday night (which went very well) was just how rock solid and trouble-fr=
>ee the Delta1010 is. Whenever I have to drag out my little Tascam US-366 f=
>or a quick USB laptop recording, I have to wrestle with all kinds of settin=
>gs and recording errors until I get the buffer settings and routing correct=
>. The 1010... turn on the computer and just use it. I love the physical ea=
>se and portability of USB, but sure appreciate the hardware monitoring and =
>total lack of latency behind the 1010. I'm hoping that, whatever I end up g=
>etting, I can enjoy the best of both worlds.... and better mic pres. Thanks=
> for the reply.



--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Ads
  #22  
Old March 28th 21, 03:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 at 12:49:13 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> It is "Plan B" in Suffern, NY. I have never been there. Our plan was to
> check it out after the AES show last year, except that... events changed.
>
> I think he has the right idea. Club owners are the only people that make
> money off of live music...
> --scott


True that. I can attest that there have been a few times I break even on my very-semi-regular Wed night jazz gig.. but not usually. It's still a joy.... great players, great vibe, and the place treats us great. Looking forward to it starting back up again when the world calms down. Here's hoping.

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 at 12:49:13 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>Buy a used RME ADI-8. The thing is really very surprisingly good. You

won't have to worry about the shortage of AKM parts that is holding up
a lot of new converters. It's not fashionable because it doesn't go above
48 ksamp/sec.

Right now you have two channels of good preamp. Use whatever money you
have left to buy some Millennia HV-3 preamps. Again, they can be found
used, and 20-year-old ones are just as good as new ones. They are all
excellent.

Get standalone preamps and standalone converters and so when you want to
upgrade them LATER, you can do it a piece at a time. Don't get an all-in-one
box, if only because you'll have to upgrade it all at once.

Your budget will get you an ADI-8 and two channels of HV-3, which gives you
four microphone channels total. You can add on to that later.

> --
> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."


Too late for right now, but will definitely keep that equipment in mind for the future. I ended up with an 18i20 (reference my previous comment about ME probably being the weakest link right now) which I'll be getting to know and putting it through its paces for the next couple days. Still, I DO appreciate the thoughts. A couple questions, though, Scott, for the future....

The ADI-8 looks like a great, flexible eight channel converter.. but not an interface if I'm reading the literature correctly. I'd still need to a way to get its outputs into my computer. ADAT out into the Focusrite, clocked by the ADI-8? Would the 18i20 pass the signals without any conversion or manipulation, taking advantage of the ADI-8's quality? I'm unsure how to use the ADI-8 with my setup. Is its intended use to feed a digital eight track recorder, and then mix that using hardware (a board) or using whatever interface the recorder has to get the tracks into a DAW?

The HV-3 pres look great, too. Finding two channels of them and an ADI-8, both used, for under $2k seems to be a pretty tough challenge.

Your advice is great, as always, and so was Mike's. I think for my budget and skill level the 18i20 was the right choice.... cheap, gives me what I was looking for (better, albeit not state of the art, mic pres, more inputs/channels, potentially better A/D, and a USB interface for easy portability in one box) for a price that will still permit me to continue to explore better, more specific gear in the near future..... for instance, if you know of or have some HV-3 pres for sale in good shape... ...

Thanks, Scott. Good to hear back from you, and glad you're still around, too. I miss Hank... is he still out there somewhere?

Barry
  #23  
Old March 28th 21, 05:07 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

MORE apologies for following up on the usenet/google alternatives thread-drift, but I'm almost there and could use one more nudge..

I've registered at eternal-september successfully, and have configured Thunderbird to allow me to access and read rec.audio.pro , but I can't post from there. Only access my email accounts via my email provider's website on the PC, or via provider's app on tablet/phone. I'd tried using Thunderbird as an email access program a year or two ago, but got really messed up with leaving messages on server for access by other machines and royally screwed up stuff... deleting messages i wanted to keep, downloading thousands of messages two or three times on Thunderbird and getting duplicates, etc. SOO.. I'd like to use Thunderbird as a usenet reader only. However, I don't have an outgoing SMTP server listed. I'm assuming that's necessary to post (I'm still posting through a google account I NEVER use.. only resurrected it for the couple of recent threads I've participated in here). What do I have to do/configure in Thunderbird in order to post here, but without exposing my email accounts to spam? The email provider I have is excellent, and I've been happily almost totally spam free for a few years, and want to keep it that way... and continue to maintain some privacy. The email accounts provided by my IP are SOoooo bad and spam-clogged I stopped using them years ago.

Can anyone help?
  #24  
Old March 28th 21, 07:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_14_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 09:07:40 -0700 (PDT), Barry B
> wrote:

>MORE apologies for following up on the usenet/google alternatives thread-drift, but I'm almost there and could use one more nudge..
>
>I've registered at eternal-september successfully, and have configured Thunderbird to allow me to access and read rec.audio.pro , but I can't post from there. Only access my email accounts via my email provider's website on the PC, or via provider's app on tablet/phone. I'd tried using Thunderbird as an email access program a year or two ago, but got really messed up with leaving messages on server for access by other machines and royally screwed up stuff... deleting messages i wanted to keep, downloading thousands of messages two or three times on Thunderbird and getting duplicates, etc. SOO.. I'd like to use Thunderbird as a usenet reader only. However, I don't have an outgoing SMTP server listed. I'm assuming that's necessary to post (I'm still posting through a google account I NEVER use.. only resurrected it for the couple of recent threads I've participated in here). What do I have to do/configure in Thunderbird in order to post here, but without exposing my email accounts
>to spam? The email provider I have is excellent, and I've been happily almost totally spam free for a few years, and want to keep it that way... and continue to maintain some privacy. The email accounts provided by my IP are SOoooo bad and spam-clogged I stopped using them years ago.
>
>Can anyone help?

Download Forte Agent.
https://vetusware.com/download/Forte...201.7/?id=8570
  #25  
Old March 28th 21, 09:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,841
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

Barry B > wrote:
>The ADI-8 looks like a great, flexible eight channel converter.. but not an=
> interface if I'm reading the literature correctly. I'd still need to a wa=
>y to get its outputs into my computer. ADAT out into the Focusrite, clocke=
>d by the ADI-8? Would the 18i20 pass the signals without any conversion or =
>manipulation, taking advantage of the ADI-8's quality? I'm unsure how to us=
>e the ADI-8 with my setup. Is its intended use to feed a digital eight tra=
>ck recorder, and then mix that using hardware (a board) or using whatever i=
>nterface the recorder has to get the tracks into a DAW?


Whatever interface you have, the ADI-8 will send to it. If you decide later
you want a standalone digital recorder, it will send to that too. If you
want to run everything around a workstation, you can use the focusrite or you
could use some other box. Doesn't matter. Getting the computer to talk to
lightpipe or AES/EBU or TDIF or MADI is easy and either it works or it does
not.

Once the signal is digital, it's easy. You can send it anywhere you want
and it stays the same, and if it isn't the same it's possible to measure it
and see.

>The HV-3 pres look great, too. Finding two channels of them and an ADI-8, b=
>oth used, for under $2k seems to be a pretty tough challenge. =20


The HV-3 preamps have been out for many many years and are sort of an
industry standard. Older ones turn up at good prices. Again, this is
a long-term investment... if you buy it today, you'll still be using it
twenty years down the road. I guarantee whatever digital interface you
are using, you won't have it in ten years, let alone twenty.

>Your advice is great, as always, and so was Mike's. I think for my budget =
>and skill level the 18i20 was the right choice.... cheap, gives me what I w=
>as looking for (better, albeit not state of the art, mic pres, more inputs/=
>channels, potentially better A/D, and a USB interface for easy portability =
>in one box) for a price that will still permit me to continue to explore be=
>tter, more specific gear in the near future..... for instance, if you know =
>of or have some HV-3 pres for sale in good shape... ...=20


I'm frugal, as opposed to my father who was cheap. I really don't want to
spend money and if I do spend money I want it to be on something I am going
to keep using for a long time. High quality microphones and preamps are high
on that list. Plug-ins scare me because if you buy a plug-in you have to be
able to amortize the cost over a fairly short lifetime.

>Thanks, Scott. Good to hear back from you, and glad you're still around, t=
>oo. I miss Hank... is he still out there somewhere? =20


I think he's still at hankalrich.com. I should look him up too.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #26  
Old March 28th 21, 09:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,841
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

Barry B > wrote:
>O.. I'd like to use Thunderbird as a usenet reader only. However, I don't h=
>ave an outgoing SMTP server listed. I'm assuming that's necessary to post =
>(I'm still posting through a google account I NEVER use.. only resurrected =
>it for the couple of recent threads I've participated in here). What do I =
>have to do/configure in Thunderbird in order to post here, but without expo=
>sing my email accounts to spam?


The SMTP server will allow you to send email replies to usenet messages.
All of the reading and posting of Usenet is done through NNTP.

You can set things up to obscure your return address and put a valid return
address in your signature, if you don't want spammers to see your real email
address. However, I think that is annoying to real people and does not slow
the spammers down very much. It's pretty futile, I would not bother with it.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #27  
Old March 28th 21, 09:38 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,175
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On 3/28/2021 12:07 PM, Barry B wrote:
> I'd like to use Thunderbird as a usenet reader only. However, I don't have an outgoing SMTP server listed. I'm assuming that's necessary to post (I'm still posting through a google account I NEVER use.. only resurrected it for the couple of recent threads I've participated in here). What do I have to do/configure in Thunderbird in order to post here, but without exposing my email accounts to spam?


Thunderbird gets confused (or maybe it's Mike that gets confused) if you
try to use different SMTP servers for different e-mail accounts. That
won't show up to spammers unless they look at the full header of the
message, and that's too much trouble for not enough activity, at least
in rec.audio.pro.

So in the Thunderbird Account Settings for eternal.september, put in
SMTP server that works for other mail and that should get it out.


--
For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
  #28  
Old March 29th 21, 02:51 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On 3/28/2021 4:38 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 3/28/2021 12:07 PM, Barry B wrote:
>> I'd like to use Thunderbird as a usenet reader only. However, I don't
>> have an outgoing SMTP server listed.* I'm assuming that's necessary to
>> post (I'm still posting through a google account I NEVER use.. only
>> resurrected it for the couple of recent threads I've participated in
>> here).* What do I have to do/configure in Thunderbird in order to post
>> here, but without exposing my email accounts to spam?

>
> Thunderbird gets confused (or maybe it's Mike that gets confused) if you
> try to use different SMTP servers for different e-mail accounts. That
> won't show up to spammers unless they look at the full header of the
> message, and that's too much trouble for not enough activity, at least
> in rec.audio.pro.
>
> So in the Thunderbird Account Settings for eternal.september, put in
> SMTP server that works for other mail and that should get it out.
>
>

Giving this a try... here's hoping.
  #29  
Old March 29th 21, 03:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On 3/29/2021 9:51 AM, Barry wrote:
> On 3/28/2021 4:38 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> On 3/28/2021 12:07 PM, Barry B wrote:
>>> I'd like to use Thunderbird as a usenet reader only. However, I don't
>>> have an outgoing SMTP server listed.* I'm assuming that's necessary
>>> to post (I'm still posting through a google account I NEVER use..
>>> only resurrected it for the couple of recent threads I've
>>> participated in here).* What do I have to do/configure in Thunderbird
>>> in order to post here, but without exposing my email accounts to spam?

>>
>> Thunderbird gets confused (or maybe it's Mike that gets confused) if
>> you try to use different SMTP servers for different e-mail accounts.
>> That won't show up to spammers unless they look at the full header of
>> the message, and that's too much trouble for not enough activity, at
>> least in rec.audio.pro.
>>
>> So in the Thunderbird Account Settings for eternal.september, put in
>> SMTP server that works for other mail and that should get it out.
>>
>>

> Giving this a try... here's hoping.


AND... it worked... goodbye, Google!

Thanks, Mike, Scott, and all. Focusrite 18i20 is working well, although
there's still a couple things I still need to figure out (headphone
level is pretty low, but from searching around that seems to be
solveable with some settings within Focusrite Control, and once,
although I was getting signal to Samplitude fine, Focusrite Control kept
returning a "Hardware Not Detected" message during one session until I
rebooted the laptop, then all was well. Not sure what that was all about).

So far I've done a few test sessions using the pair of AT4050 mics in
Blumlein setup on a Yamaha C7... first just straight into the Focusrite,
and then Great River/PSX100/Focusrite. Both worked quite well.

Now... to find a couple channels of HV-3 ...
  #30  
Old April 1st 21, 04:01 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 882
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

About a year ago "Recording" reviewed interfaces from Audient. In addition to liking the interfaces (including the mic preamps), they noted that many of them include an Insert jack, letting you run a line-level signal directly into the interface. If that might be a feature that you'd like to hsve available, you should probably check out the Audient boxes.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pres and Interface question Kevin Drysdale Pro Audio 5 February 5th 07 11:41 PM
Firewire Interface Question Bacon McBacon Pro Audio 2 May 5th 05 11:43 AM
QUESTION: Which MOTU Interface Is Right For Me???? HWBossHoss Pro Audio 4 June 15th 04 01:09 AM
Delco CD Interface Question Mike Wagner Car Audio 0 February 8th 04 06:30 PM
All Apologies LeBaron & Alrich Pro Audio 2 July 4th 03 04:15 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 AudioBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.