A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter.com

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter.com forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old March 24th 21, 10:37 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,787
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On 25/03/2021 3:17 am, Barry B wrote:
> (I'm not a big fan of all things Google, so coming into this group in its current iteration was kind of a last ditch effort for me, but I'm VERY glad and grateful for the responses from you and Mike),


Newsgroups (a.k.a. USENET) isn't Google, and does not need to involve
them at all ! GoogleGroups is only one way, and a clutsy one at that, to
access newsgroups.

geoff
Ads
  #12  
Old March 25th 21, 01:15 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 10:49:16 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
....
> I'm surprised that the Tascam US-366 is giving you trouble. But then, I
> just started using a TASCAM US-44HR and, while I seem to have it working
> well with everything but Audacity, every time I open its (rather meager)
> control panel, it takes a couple of seconds between when it says "Device
> is not connected" to actually showing the settings. Could be that I have
> a pretty minimal computer and it would be happier with a faster
> processor than a Core2Duo and more memory. But it does sound very good
> (better than the Behringer that it replaced) and tests out better than
> anyone could expect for the price.
>
>
> --
> For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com


More than willing to admit that any trouble I have with the US-366 is due to my ignorance and lack of using it frequently. Also... looked into the unit you have, the US-44HR. That's DIRT cheap for what it does, on sale right now.. wish it had been available when I bought the US-366. Almost worth picking one up just... because...
  #13  
Old March 25th 21, 01:15 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 6:37:37 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> On 25/03/2021 3:17 am, Barry B wrote:
> > (I'm not a big fan of all things Google, so coming into this group in its current iteration was kind of a last ditch effort for me, but I'm VERY glad and grateful for the responses from you and Mike),

> Newsgroups (a.k.a. USENET) isn't Google, and does not need to involve
> them at all ! GoogleGroups is only one way, and a clutsy one at that, to
> access newsgroups.
>
> geoff


Is there way to access rec.audio.pro WITHOUT Google? Pray tell.... I am ALL ears.. and eyes...
  #14  
Old March 25th 21, 01:37 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,787
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On 25/03/2021 2:15 pm, Barry B wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 6:37:37 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
>> On 25/03/2021 3:17 am, Barry B wrote:
>>> (I'm not a big fan of all things Google, so coming into this group in its current iteration was kind of a last ditch effort for me, but I'm VERY glad and grateful for the responses from you and Mike),

>> Newsgroups (a.k.a. USENET) isn't Google, and does not need to involve
>> them at all ! GoogleGroups is only one way, and a clutsy one at that, to
>> access newsgroups.
>>
>> geoff

>
> Is there way to access rec.audio.pro WITHOUT Google? Pray tell.... I am ALL ears.. and eyes...
>


You download a free newsgroup-friendly app (like Mozilla Thunderbird (
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/ ) . Mozilla is the same open-source
group that developed Firefox web browser.

Then you select a free or (minimally) paid for USENET server - I use
giganews.com )

Thunderbird is also (primarily ?) an email app but can be set up for
Newsgroups-only.

geoff
  #15  
Old March 25th 21, 02:25 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 9:37:14 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> On 25/03/2021 2:15 pm, Barry B wrote:
> > On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 6:37:37 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> >> On 25/03/2021 3:17 am, Barry B wrote:
> >>> (I'm not a big fan of all things Google, so coming into this group in its current iteration was kind of a last ditch effort for me, but I'm VERY glad and grateful for the responses from you and Mike),
> >> Newsgroups (a.k.a. USENET) isn't Google, and does not need to involve
> >> them at all ! GoogleGroups is only one way, and a clutsy one at that, to
> >> access newsgroups.
> >>
> >> geoff

> >
> > Is there way to access rec.audio.pro WITHOUT Google? Pray tell.... I am ALL ears.. and eyes...
> >

> You download a free newsgroup-friendly app (like Mozilla Thunderbird (
> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/ ) . Mozilla is the same open-source
> group that developed Firefox web browser.
>
> Then you select a free or (minimally) paid for USENET server - I use
> giganews.com )
>
> Thunderbird is also (primarily ?) an email app but can be set up for
> Newsgroups-only.
>
> geoff

OK... so I'm an idiot! I had no idea. I searched for rec.audio.pro and it came up under a "Google Groups" link, so if figured it had been assimilated by the Borg. Didn't realize that "Google" wasn't the host, but was just a means of access. I WILL be following through.. thanks, Geoff!
  #16  
Old March 26th 21, 03:42 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 57
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On 3/22/2021 10:06 AM, Don Pearce wrote:

>>

> Buy whatever is cheapest. There is zero sound quality difference
> between any pieces of electronics these days - they passed that hurdle
> years ago.
>


Isn't that remarkable though? That was achieved
at the component level, with low noise-floor A-to-D converters
cheap enough for the masses.

Kinda like how everyone has a smart phone now!



  #17  
Old March 26th 21, 04:31 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_14_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 19:25:17 -0700 (PDT), Barry B
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 9:37:14 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
>> On 25/03/2021 2:15 pm, Barry B wrote:
>> > On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 6:37:37 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
>> >> On 25/03/2021 3:17 am, Barry B wrote:
>> >>> (I'm not a big fan of all things Google, so coming into this group in its current iteration was kind of a last ditch effort for me, but I'm VERY glad and grateful for the responses from you and Mike),
>> >> Newsgroups (a.k.a. USENET) isn't Google, and does not need to involve
>> >> them at all ! GoogleGroups is only one way, and a clutsy one at that, to
>> >> access newsgroups.
>> >>
>> >> geoff
>> >
>> > Is there way to access rec.audio.pro WITHOUT Google? Pray tell.... I am ALL ears.. and eyes...
>> >

>> You download a free newsgroup-friendly app (like Mozilla Thunderbird (
>> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/ ) . Mozilla is the same open-source
>> group that developed Firefox web browser.
>>
>> Then you select a free or (minimally) paid for USENET server - I use
>> giganews.com )
>>
>> Thunderbird is also (primarily ?) an email app but can be set up for
>> Newsgroups-only.
>>
>> geoff

>OK... so I'm an idiot! I had no idea. I searched for rec.audio.pro and it came up under a "Google Groups" link, so if figured it had been assimilated by the Borg. Didn't realize that "Google" wasn't the host, but was just a means of access. I WILL be following through.. thanks, Geoff!

eternal-september.org is a free usenet server. I like Forte Agent 3.0
or before as a reader.
  #18  
Old March 26th 21, 04:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,404
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 11:31:02 -0500, Chuck >
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 19:25:17 -0700 (PDT), Barry B
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 9:37:14 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
>>> On 25/03/2021 2:15 pm, Barry B wrote:
>>> > On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 6:37:37 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
>>> >> On 25/03/2021 3:17 am, Barry B wrote:
>>> >>> (I'm not a big fan of all things Google, so coming into this group in its current iteration was kind of a last ditch effort for me, but I'm VERY glad and grateful for the responses from you and Mike),
>>> >> Newsgroups (a.k.a. USENET) isn't Google, and does not need to involve
>>> >> them at all ! GoogleGroups is only one way, and a clutsy one at that, to
>>> >> access newsgroups.
>>> >>
>>> >> geoff
>>> >
>>> > Is there way to access rec.audio.pro WITHOUT Google? Pray tell.... I am ALL ears.. and eyes...
>>> >
>>> You download a free newsgroup-friendly app (like Mozilla Thunderbird (
>>> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/ ) . Mozilla is the same open-source
>>> group that developed Firefox web browser.
>>>
>>> Then you select a free or (minimally) paid for USENET server - I use
>>> giganews.com )
>>>
>>> Thunderbird is also (primarily ?) an email app but can be set up for
>>> Newsgroups-only.
>>>
>>> geoff

>>OK... so I'm an idiot! I had no idea. I searched for rec.audio.pro and it came up under a "Google Groups" link, so if figured it had been assimilated by the Borg. Didn't realize that "Google" wasn't the host, but was just a means of access. I WILL be following through.. thanks, Geoff!

>eternal-september.org is a free usenet server. I like Forte Agent 3.0
>or before as a reader.


I use eternal-september and Forte Agent 1.5

very competent combination.

d

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #19  
Old March 27th 21, 03:40 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,841
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

Chuck > wrote:
>>OK... so I'm an idiot! I had no idea. I searched for rec.audio.pro and it came up under a "Google Groups" link, so if figured it had been assimilated by the Borg. Didn't realize that "Google" wasn't the host, but was just a means of access. I WILL be following through.. thanks, Geoff!

>eternal-september.org is a free usenet server. I like Forte Agent 3.0
>or before as a reader.


Google has worked very hard for many years to make Usenet look like their
own proprietary thing. I find this offensive. I find it even more offensive
that, having done so, they are such poor caretakers of the legacy and the
archives that they possess.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #20  
Old March 27th 21, 04:42 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,841
Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

Barry B > wrote:
>What I want -=20
>
>More channels of high quality mic preamps, above all.=20
>The ability to get all of those channels simultaneously through high qualit=
>y conversion by an interface.=20


Buy a used RME ADI-8. The thing is really very surprisingly good. You
won't have to worry about the shortage of AKM parts that is holding up
a lot of new converters. It's not fashionable because it doesn't go above
48 ksamp/sec.

Right now you have two channels of good preamp. Use whatever money you
have left to buy some Millennia HV-3 preamps. Again, they can be found
used, and 20-year-old ones are just as good as new ones. They are all
excellent.

Get standalone preamps and standalone converters and so when you want to
upgrade them LATER, you can do it a piece at a time. Don't get an all-in-one
box, if only because you'll have to upgrade it all at once.

Your budget will get you an ADI-8 and two channels of HV-3, which gives you
four microphone channels total. You can add on to that later.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pres and Interface question Kevin Drysdale Pro Audio 5 February 5th 07 11:41 PM
Firewire Interface Question Bacon McBacon Pro Audio 2 May 5th 05 11:43 AM
QUESTION: Which MOTU Interface Is Right For Me???? HWBossHoss Pro Audio 4 June 15th 04 01:09 AM
Delco CD Interface Question Mike Wagner Car Audio 0 February 8th 04 06:30 PM
All Apologies LeBaron & Alrich Pro Audio 2 July 4th 03 04:15 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 AudioBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.