MKH416 vs NTG3

Old April 2nd 21, 03:06 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_]

Default MKH416 vs NTG3

I have used a Sennheiser MKH416 for over 20 years for VO. (I know it's a
boom mic/shotgun.) It is marvelous for the application. On a friend's
recommendation, I bought a (used) Rode NTG-3. Between the two, in an A-B
comparison using the same mic, preamp, monitors, etc., the Rode sounds
darker. Who can I send the mic to for comparison? There's probably
nothing wrong with it. The guy who sold it to me is a straight shooter,
but I wonder if he sold it because he didn't like the (dark) sound of it.
Old April 2nd 21, 03:24 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 4/2/2021 10:06 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
> I have used a Sennheiser MKH416 for over 20 years for VO. I bought a (used) Rode NTG-3. Between the two, in an A-B
> comparison using the same mic, preamp, monitors, etc., the Rode sounds
> darker. Who can I send the mic to for comparison? There's probably
> nothing wrong with it. The guy who sold it to me is a straight shooter,
> but I wonder if he sold it because he didn't like the (dark) sound of it.

Is there a real question here? Different mics sound different for many
reasons. The acoustic space and mic position, other than basic design,
are particularly crucial. You're right - there's probably nothing wrong
with the Rode mic, it just might not be right for you, or it might be
fine if you moved it from your customary position by a couple of inches.

You're talking about $1000 mics here, and shotgun mics to boot, which
tend to be quite specialized. If you want to know if the Rode mic is
working correctly - that is, meets the factory specifications - you
should send it to Rode.

Old April 2nd 21, 03:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 4/2/2021 10:24 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> You're talking about $1000 mics here

I'll amend that. The Rode is a $700 mic (the Sennheiser is a grand).
Maybe $300 more buys you a sound that you prefer and it's simple as that.

Old April 2nd 21, 04:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 > wrote:
>I have used a Sennheiser MKH416 for over 20 years for VO. (I know it's a
>boom mic/shotgun.) It is marvelous for the application. On a friend's
>recommendation, I bought a (used) Rode NTG-3. Between the two, in an A-B
>comparison using the same mic, preamp, monitors, etc., the Rode sounds
>darker. Who can I send the mic to for comparison? There's probably
>nothing wrong with it. The guy who sold it to me is a straight shooter,
>but I wonder if he sold it because he didn't like the (dark) sound of it.

You could send it to Rode for testing... but.... since the MKH416 has a
monster presence peak on-axis in order to help you pull good dialogue out
of the muck, I would not be surprised if most other microphones seemed
dark in comparison.
Old April 2nd 21, 11:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/04/2021 3:24 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 4/2/2021 10:06 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
>> I have used a Sennheiser MKH416 for over 20 years for VO. I bought a
>> (used) Rode NTG-3. Between the two, in an A-B comparison using the
>> same mic, preamp, monitors, etc., the Rode sounds darker. Who can I
>> send the mic to for comparison? There's probably nothing wrong with
>> it. The guy who sold it to me is a straight shooter, but I wonder if
>> he sold it because he didn't like the (dark) sound of it.

> Is there a real question here? Different mics sound different for many
> reasons. The acoustic space and mic position, other than basic design,
> are particularly crucial. You're right - there's probably nothing wrong
> with the Rode mic, it just might not be right for you, or it might be
> fine if you moved it from your customary position by a couple of inches.
>
> You're talking about $1000 mics here, and shotgun mics to boot, which
> tend to be quite specialized. If you want to know if the Rode mic is
> working correctly - that is, meets the factory specifications - you
> should send it to Rode.

It may well be that you (mpc684) are just so accustomed to the sound of
the MKH416 that anything different sounds dark. I don't know if the
Sennie is known for being on the bright side, but it may be.

What is the NTG like in comparison to the actual source sound ? And the
MKH similarly.

Old April 3rd 21, 05:07 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_]

On 4/2/2021 11:27 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> mcp6453 > wrote:
>> I have used a Sennheiser MKH416 for over 20 years for VO. (I know it's a
>> boom mic/shotgun.) It is marvelous for the application. On a friend's
>> recommendation, I bought a (used) Rode NTG-3. Between the two, in an A-B
>> comparison using the same mic, preamp, monitors, etc., the Rode sounds
>> darker. Who can I send the mic to for comparison? There's probably
>> nothing wrong with it. The guy who sold it to me is a straight shooter,
>> but I wonder if he sold it because he didn't like the (dark) sound of it.

> You could send it to Rode for testing... but.... since the MKH416 has a
> monster presence peak on-axis in order to help you pull good dialogue out
> of the muck, I would not be surprised if most other microphones seemed
> dark in comparison.
> --scott

Maybe that's what I'm hearing. What set me off is I read a review
somewhere today that the NTG-3 was brighter than the MKH416. That's not
my experience. A couple of years ago, I bought an MD441. It was terribly
dark. I have no idea how Stevie Nicks sang through one. My hearing is
deteriorating, so I'm curious as to whether I'm the problem. However,
the MKH416 sounds good to my ears.

My monitoring system needs updating, as well. I haven't completed setup
my systems since I moved in 2016.
Old April 5th 21, 06:47 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff > wrote:
>It may well be that you (mpc684) are just so accustomed to the sound of
>the MKH416 that anything different sounds dark. I don't know if the
>Sennie is known for being on the bright side, but it may be.

Well, of course. But he's looking for a particular sound.

The thing is.... the MKH416 isn't designed to create that sound... it is
really intended for use in the far field. A lot of people like to use it
up close as a VO mike and they get a sound that they like, but that is working
outside the design envelope of the microphone.

The NTG3 might sound like the MKH416 in the far field but that doesn't mean
it will do the same thing when you get up close, because that's not in the
design envelope of the NTG3.

Which is why, once you find something you really like you shouldn't ever
let go of it.