Blast from Past w/ Migrating Plugin question

Old March 21st 21, 04:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

Default Blast from Past w/ Migrating Plugin question

On 21/03/2021 15:26, Barry B wrote:
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 11:19:40 AM UTC-4, Barry B wrote:
>> Just a quick addition...
>>
>> When I try to activate the plugin within Samplitude, I get the message, "Either this plugin have not been correctly installed, or your 30-day demo time may have expired." When I installed the Timeworks 4080L plugin, I did get the "successfully registered!" message after inputting my registration code. Is the error message the expected result of the lack of DirectShow?

As you got the registration succeeded notice, I'd guess the missing
DirectShow is the problem, or Samplitude is using the wrong version. The
latest version of Samplitude is probably not using DirectX at all, as it
is now not supported actively by Microsoft.

I don't know if the Protools version would be of any help, which is a
couple of clicks away in the archive.

> One more quick update... tried it on a 32bit Win 7 Enterprise machine running DirectX11 . Same error message.

Welcome to version hell. Supporting old software is "fun". DirectShow
was removed from DirectX after version 9, released in February 2005, and
is now, allegedly, in the Windows Software Development Kit. A compatible
version was included on the 4080L installation CD.

You may be able to get a copy for Windows 7. This points at the runtime
files for DirectX 9.0, and will install on Windows 7. You may be able to
extract the files and use them in Windows 10, but there are no guarantees.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=8109

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-g...s/sdk-archive/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...how/directshow

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 21st 21, 08:26 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 12:14:27 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
> On 21/03/2021 15:26, Barry B wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 11:19:40 AM UTC-4, Barry B wrote:
> >> Just a quick addition...
> >>
> >> When I try to activate the plugin within Samplitude, I get the message, "Either this plugin have not been correctly installed, or your 30-day demo time may have expired." When I installed the Timeworks 4080L plugin, I did get the "successfully registered!" message after inputting my registration code. Is the error message the expected result of the lack of DirectShow?

> As you got the registration succeeded notice, I'd guess the missing
> DirectShow is the problem, or Samplitude is using the wrong version. The
> latest version of Samplitude is probably not using DirectX at all, as it
> is now not supported actively by Microsoft.
>
> I don't know if the Protools version would be of any help, which is a
> couple of clicks away in the archive.
> > One more quick update... tried it on a 32bit Win 7 Enterprise machine running DirectX11 . Same error message.
> >

> Welcome to version hell. Supporting old software is "fun". DirectShow
> was removed from DirectX after version 9, released in February 2005, and
> is now, allegedly, in the Windows Software Development Kit. A compatible
> version was included on the 4080L installation CD.
>
> You may be able to get a copy for Windows 7. This points at the runtime
> files for DirectX 9.0, and will install on Windows 7. You may be able to
> extract the files and use them in Windows 10, but there are no guarantees..
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=8109
>
> https://developer.microsoft.com/en-g...s/sdk-archive/
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...how/directshow
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

John,

Thank you again for all your efforts. Still no joy. I've installed the DirectX update in the first link on the Win 7 machine... no change in behavior, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the Timeworks plugin, rebooting the machine, etc. I tried both installing both links on the currently-less-critical Win 10 machine, and no joy there either... same problems. Currently trying to access the direct link to DirectX6 on the SonicTimeworks.com page via the webarchive.org site, but keep getting "Failed to Fetch" messages or completely blank pages. Any further tips? Sure do appreciate the effort..
Old March 21st 21, 08:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 4:26:44 PM UTC-4, Barry B wrote:
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 12:14:27 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:

> > As you got the registration succeeded notice, I'd guess the missing
> > DirectShow is the problem, or Samplitude is using the wrong version. The
> > latest version of Samplitude is probably not using DirectX at all, as it
> > is now not supported actively by Microsoft.
> >
> > I don't know if the Protools version would be of any help, which is a
> > couple of clicks away in the archive.
> > > One more quick update... tried it on a 32bit Win 7 Enterprise machine running DirectX11 . Same error message.
> > >

> > Welcome to version hell. Supporting old software is "fun". DirectShow
> > was removed from DirectX after version 9, released in February 2005, and
> > is now, allegedly, in the Windows Software Development Kit. A compatible
> > version was included on the 4080L installation CD.
> >
> > You may be able to get a copy for Windows 7. This points at the runtime
> > files for DirectX 9.0, and will install on Windows 7. You may be able to
> > extract the files and use them in Windows 10, but there are no guarantees.
> >
> > https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=8109
> >
> > https://developer.microsoft.com/en-g...s/sdk-archive/
> >
> > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...how/directshow
> > --
> > Tciao for Now!
> >
> > John.

> John,
>
> Thank you again for all your efforts. Still no joy. I've installed the DirectX update in the first link on the Win 7 machine... no change in behavior, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the Timeworks plugin, rebooting the machine, etc. I tried both installing both links on the currently-less-critical Win 10 machine, and no joy there either... same problems. Currently trying to access the direct link to DirectX6 on the SonicTimeworks.com page via the webarchive.org site, but keep getting "Failed to Fetch" messages or completely blank pages. Any further tips? Sure do appreciate the effort..

FOUND IT!!!! Finally a page back form 2005 loaded and the link to the directshow file worked and downloaded. Here's the link ...

https://web.archive.org/web/20060505...rectShow60.zip

I'll let you know if THIS works... back in a bit...
Old March 21st 21, 08:34 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 21/03/2021 20:26, Barry B wrote:

> Thank you again for all your efforts. Still no joy. I've installed the DirectX update in the first link on the Win 7 machine... no change in behavior, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the Timeworks plugin, rebooting the machine, etc. I tried both installing both links on the currently-less-critical Win 10 machine, and no joy there either... same problems. Currently trying to access the direct link to DirectX6 on the SonicTimeworks.com page via the webarchive.org site, but keep getting "Failed to Fetch" messages or completely blank pages. Any further tips? Sure do appreciate the effort..

I've run out of ideas, maybe someone has a copy of the CD?

Unfortunately, sometimes you just can't get there from here.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 21st 21, 08:40 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 4:34:15 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
> On 21/03/2021 20:26, Barry B wrote:
>
> > Thank you again for all your efforts. Still no joy. I've installed the DirectX update in the first link on the Win 7 machine... no change in behavior, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the Timeworks plugin, rebooting the machine, etc. I tried both installing both links on the currently-less-critical Win 10 machine, and no joy there either... same problems. Currently trying to access the direct link to DirectX6 on the SonicTimeworks.com page via the webarchive.org site, but keep getting "Failed to Fetch" messages or completely blank pages. Any further tips? Sure do appreciate the effort..
> >

> I've run out of ideas, maybe someone has a copy of the CD?
>
> Unfortunately, sometimes you just can't get there from here.
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

Thanks again, John. Thought I had it, but no joy in Mudville.... trying to install that version of DirectShow returns an error message "This package is meant for professional redistribution only". I guess my Timeworks 4080L joy is done. Unless anyone else has any brainstorms?
Old March 22nd 21, 02:42 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_]

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 3:40:37 PM UTC-5, Barry B wrote:
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 4:34:15 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
> > On 21/03/2021 20:26, Barry B wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you again for all your efforts. Still no joy. I've installed the DirectX update in the first link on the Win 7 machine... no change in behavior, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the Timeworks plugin, rebooting the machine, etc. I tried both installing both links on the currently-less-critical Win 10 machine, and no joy there either... same problems. Currently trying to access the direct link to DirectX6 on the SonicTimeworks.com page via the webarchive.org site, but keep getting "Failed to Fetch" messages or completely blank pages. Any further tips? Sure do appreciate the effort..
> > >

> > I've run out of ideas, maybe someone has a copy of the CD?
> >
> > Unfortunately, sometimes you just can't get there from here.
> > --
> > Tciao for Now!
> >
> > John.

> Thanks again, John. Thought I had it, but no joy in Mudville.... trying to install that version of DirectShow returns an error message "This package is meant for professional redistribution only". I guess my Timeworks 4080L joy is done. Unless anyone else has any brainstorms?

This isn't the most elegant solution, but you could potentially install and run your older stuff in a virtual machine (eg. VMware) on your current PC. I've got an older version of Samplitude running on a virtual machine with Windows XP. No, it won't be as snappy but it works.
Old March 22nd 21, 03:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10:42:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> This isn't the most elegant solution, but you could potentially install and run your older stuff in a virtual machine (eg. VMware) on your current PC. I've got an older version of Samplitude running on a virtual machine with Windows XP. No, it won't be as snappy but it works.

I appreciate the idea. I already have the plugin working on an old actual XP machine running Samp 6.02; I was hoping to be able to use the plugin with the newer version of Samplitude (Producer 11.5), with which I am MUCH more familiar and efficient these days, on the newer Win 7 and Win 10 DAWS. It seems as it's an unsolvable "either/or" position at this point.