Broadcasting Q? Announcing The Time On The Radio

Old March 10th 21, 12:48 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

Default Broadcasting Q? Announcing The Time On The Radio

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 10:16:50 AM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 3/9/2021 7:51 AM, Chris K-Man wrote:
> > On WBAI FM 99.5 IN NEW YORK CITY, the announcer of "A New Day" mis-announced the time as "7:27" when it was actually 7:47am. She did apologize and correct herself. This is a LOCAL, PRIVATELY FUNDED radio station with studio and transmitter both within the boundaries of NY City in the EASTERN TIME ZONE.

> It's hard to get good help nowadays. I hear a lot of radio news
> broadcasters mispronounce names of people and places, and some things.
> They should know better. But the push for real time news has pretty much
> done away with editing before broadcast.
> > So I'll ask once mo WHAT KIND OF CLOCK do these radio stations have on their wall, if any?

> Generally studios have both an analog and a digital clock, and many have
> a countdown clock as well so the announcer knows how much time there is
> before the end of the hour.
>
> But are you sure the announcer you mentioned above is actually looking
> at a clock in the studio? Could be that she's at home with an improvised
> studio, and just looked at her watch.
>

> --
> For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

_____

Mike I noticed mis-telling of the time on the radio when "COVID" would have been the name of some sci-fi character. But your other explanations seem plausible.

I duck-ducked "broadcast studio clock" and came up with some incredible results: a monitor-based solution that displays not only time and date, but On-Air warning, VU levels for two sources, current program playing, etc, etc. As well as good old fashioned analog clocks, and digital ones with characters up to five inches high.

I used to think that radio stations had clocks that displayed only the minutes, and not the particular hour, explaining why the time they announced was periodically one hour off, in either direction!
Old March 10th 21, 09:57 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 10/03/2021 00:48, Chris K-Man wrote:

> I used to think that radio stations had clocks that displayed only the minutes, and not the particular hour, explaining why the time they announced was periodically one hour off, in either direction!

One notorious announcer on the BBC gave rise to what was called the
"Jack De Manio clock" in the studio he used. No hands, no numbers, no
monitor, but if you looked at it, you would read "Twenty five to eight"
That cured him, and it would be trivial to program an Arduino or
Raepberry Pi and a small monitor.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 10th 21, 06:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Anthony Kuzub

Mostly Masterclock here at CBC. Was Leitch for the longest of time... SMTPE LTC distributed to wall clocks.

that's all gone because of POE and NTP

Do note most radio isn't live at all...

APK

Old March 10th 21, 08:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:57:58 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
> On 10/03/2021 00:48, Chris K-Man wrote:
>
> > I used to think that radio stations had clocks that displayed only the minutes, and not the particular hour, explaining why the time they announced was periodically one hour off, in either direction!
> >

> One notorious announcer on the BBC gave rise to what was called the
> "Jack De Manio clock" in the studio he used. No hands, no numbers, no
> monitor, but if you looked at it, you would read "Twenty five to eightsuffices. "
> That cured him, and it would be trivial to program an Arduino or
> Raepberry Pi and a small monitor.
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

_________
That is the 'human' way of telling time, now that you mentioned it.

Who goes "three thirty-seven" when announcing the time or answering anothers inquiry as to time of day? Twenty-five or twenty til four usually suffices. My late hero of the AM band, Don Imus, almost never specified the hour, once his show reached global syndication. "Ten after the hour" or "Thirteen til the hour on the Imus In the Morning program, here's Charles with some late-breaking headlines" Is typically what you got.

The displays you mentioned can be programmed to diplay time more or less colloquially, as needs dictate
Old March 10th 21, 08:49 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 1:12:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Mostly Masterclock here at CBC. Was Leitch for the longest of time... SMTPE LTC distributed to wall clocks.
>
> that's all gone because of POE and NTP
>
> Do note most radio isn't live at all...
>
> APK
> On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:57:58 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
> > On 10/03/2021 00:48, Chris K-Man wrote:
> >
> > > I used to think that radio stations had clocks that displayed only the minutes, and not the particular hour, explaining why the time they announced was periodically one hour off, in either direction!
> > >

> > One notorious announcer on the BBC gave rise to what was called the
> > "Jack De Manio clock" in the studio he used. No hands, no numbers, no
> > monitor, but if you looked at it, you would read "Twenty five to eight"
> > That cured him, and it would be trivial to program an Arduino or
> > Raepberry Pi and a small monitor.
> > --
> > Tciao for Now!
> >
> > John.

______
The talent for 1010 WINS occasionally read the wrong hour, and they all broadcast
locally, if even some from their homes during this pandemic.

I still wonder about that minute clock: "48m:35s" Does such a clock exist? Because that might also explain some instances of wrong hour.
Old March 10th 21, 10:20 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Chris K-Man" wrote in message

<snip>
My late hero of the AM band, Don Imus, almost never specified the
hour, once his show reached global syndication. "Ten after the hour"
or "Thirteen til the hour on the Imus In the Morning program, here's
Charles with some late-breaking headlines" Is typically what you got.

Don't forget the "quack quack"

Poly

Old March 11th 21, 11:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Anthony Kuzub > wrote:

>Do note most radio isn't live at all...

"Coming to you live from the lanai of the Moana Hotel via Ampex Tape Delay!"
Old March 12th 21, 05:27 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 11/03/2021 9:20 am, polymod wrote:

> "Chris K-Man"¬* wrote in message
>
> <snip>
> My late¬* hero¬* of¬* the¬* AM band, Don Imus,¬* almost¬* never specified the
> hour, once¬* his¬* show¬* reached¬* global¬* syndication.¬* "Ten¬* after¬* the
> hour" or "Thirteen til the hour on¬* the¬* Imus¬* In¬* the¬* Morning
> program,¬* here's Charles¬* with¬* some late-breaking¬* headlines"¬* Is
> typically¬* what¬* you got.

Yep, we've had that here too where even same time zones are not all on
daylight savings time in summer. But then we have one zone which is half
an hour different, so that's still a problem I guess. BUT when you hear
"ten after the hour" you don't *always* know WHAT hour! :-)
However these days of ubiquitous mobile phones with accurate time
display for the current location, it all seems fairly unnecessary
anyway. Just like the weather forecasts that are usually FAR better by
simply going to the local weather service web page.

Old March 12th 21, 11:54 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
None

"Trevor" wrote in message ...
> ... daylight savings time ...

There it is! You have taken the dumb****'s troll bait, which was the sole
purpose of his original post.

Old March 16th 21, 03:31 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 12/03/2021 10:54 pm, None wrote:
> "Trevor"¬* wrote in message ...
>> ... daylight savings time ...

> There it is! You have taken the dumb****'s troll bait, which was the
> sole purpose of his original post.

Rubbish, what you have snipped, and that which I replied to was
reasonable comment regardless of what else he may have posted. Your post
is totally pointless however.