UPS blew out power supply - how?

Old March 6th 21, 08:25 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz

Default UPS blew out power supply - how?

Thanks Scott, will look at it in more detail.

If it isn't this model, it's very similar (CyberPower): https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pr.../cp1350avrlcd/

Whether it's cheap or online, I'm not sure. I believe you can control something about it with software and it'll shut down computers, but I've never bothered with that. If I'm working and the power goes out, I have time to shut it down; if the power goes out when I'm away, I don't care if it shuts down. Plus I don't think it has Mac software anyway.

If there are fuses, they're inside. But I'll check.
Old March 8th 21, 01:20 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_14_]

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 12:25:19 -0800 (PST), nickbatz
> wrote:

>Thanks Scott, will look at it in more detail.
>
>If it isn't this model, it's very similar (CyberPower): https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pr.../cp1350avrlcd/
>
>Whether it's cheap or online, I'm not sure. I believe you can control something about it with software and it'll shut down computers, but I've never bothered with that. If I'm working and the power goes out, I have time to shut it down; if the power goes out when I'm away, I don't care if it shuts down. Plus I don't think it has Mac software anyway.
>
>If there are fuses, they're inside. But I'll check.

Some Cyber Powers have conductive glue on an eight pin dip ic. This
can blow the ic and cause a glass diode by the chip to go leaky. I've
seen the circuit board, on one occasion, set on fire from this
failure. Before replacing the batteries, I'd chip off this glue if it
is there.
Old March 8th 21, 04:02 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/03/2021 2:20 pm, Chuck wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 12:25:19 -0800 (PST), nickbatz
> > wrote:
>
>> Thanks Scott, will look at it in more detail.
>>
>> If it isn't this model, it's very similar (CyberPower): https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pr.../cp1350avrlcd/
>>
>> Whether it's cheap or online, I'm not sure. I believe you can control something about it with software and it'll shut down computers, but I've never bothered with that. If I'm working and the power goes out, I have time to shut it down; if the power goes out when I'm away, I don't care if it shuts down. Plus I don't think it has Mac software anyway.
>>
>> If there are fuses, they're inside. But I'll check.

> Some Cyber Powers have conductive glue on an eight pin dip ic. This
> can blow the ic and cause a glass diode by the chip to go leaky. I've
> seen the circuit board, on one occasion, set on fire from this
> failure. Before replacing the batteries, I'd chip off this glue if it
> is there.

Surely more time already spent just corresponding about the thing that
it would be worth to replace ?

Old March 8th 21, 06:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz

> Surely more time already spent just corresponding about the thing that
> it would be worth to replace ?
>
> geoff

You'd think, wouldn't you.

And yet I find most things interesting, including this, whether or not I end up working on it.
Old March 8th 21, 08:07 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/03/2021 7:52 am, nickbatz wrote:
>> Surely more time already spent just corresponding about the thing that
>> it would be worth to replace ?
>>
>> geoff

> You'd think, wouldn't you.
>
> And yet I find most things interesting, including this, whether or not I end up working on it.

Of course everybodys' choice as to whether or not such things are
worthwhile on a financial, learning, or as a personal interest/challenge
exercise.

I wish I had the time ....

geoff-
Old March 9th 21, 01:34 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

nickbatz > wrote:
>> Surely more time already spent just corresponding about the thing that
>> it would be worth to replace ?

>You'd think, wouldn't you.
>
>And yet I find most things interesting, including this, whether or not I end up working on it.

Yeah, the point is not to have it working, but to figure out why it failed.
Although it can be argued that failing is just what cheap standby UPSes do.

Old March 9th 21, 09:51 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/03/2021 2:34 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> nickbatz > wrote:
>>> Surely more time already spent just corresponding about the thing that
>>> it would be worth to replace ?

>> You'd think, wouldn't you.
>>
>> And yet I find most things interesting, including this, whether or not I end up working on it.

> Yeah, the point is not to have it working, but to figure out why it failed.
> Although it can be argued that failing is just what cheap standby UPSes do.
> --scott

I've got one in circuit that has never worked as intended. Haven't had
the energy to remove it. For, for something like 10 years or more !

Mind you, it has only ever 'needed' to do its thing half a dozen times
at most ....

Old March 9th 21, 04:59 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_]

On 3/8/2021 8:34 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> nickbatz > wrote:
>>> Surely more time already spent just corresponding about the thing that
>>> it would be worth to replace ?

>> You'd think, wouldn't you.
>>
>> And yet I find most things interesting, including this, whether or not I end up working on it.

> Yeah, the point is not to have it working, but to figure out why it failed.
> Although it can be argued that failing is just what cheap standby UPSes do.
> --scott

The key words in your comment are "cheap standby UPSes". An effective
approach to a UPS for computers is to prevent even a single cycle power
glitch when switching from AC to battery. The vast majority of UPSes
don't qualify.

--
best regards,

Neil