Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean B Sean B is offline

Default Capsule in AKG C414 TLII

Hi,

Is the capsule in the AKG C414 TLII a real CK12 or something else?

Thanks,

Sean B
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Sean B wrote:

Is the capsule in the AKG C414 TLII a real CK12 or something else?

No. The CK12 can be found in the original C414 and in some C414/EB
microphones. Many of the C414/EB microphones used the newer capsule.

The newer capsule also appears in the C414B/ULS. The original C414/TL
was a C414B/ULS with the transformer bypassed; the output is impedance
balanced only.

The C414B/TLII uses a _third_ generation of capsule which is voiced to
sound more like the CK12 capsule than the one in the B/ULS. It looks
very different, though, than the original brass ring CK12, and it is
designed for mechanical assembly.

That said, the new capsule sounds more like a CK12 than anything else.

The earlier generations of condenser capsules were very dependant on
hand assembly work and some very fine mechanical procedures. It's not
really possible to make those in any large quantities without making
substantial design changes. Consequently if you look inside many modern
microphones like the new C414 variants or the U87, you'll see capsules
designed to emulate earlier designs but intended for automated manufacture.

Another possible way to go is to just hand-build capsules in the traditional
way but eliminate the quality control and just turn them out like apples and
throw away the worst of them. This is an alternative that many companies
abroad have done when they had inexpensive unskilled labour.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 12:54:25 -0700 (PDT), Sean B
wrote:

Hi,

Is the capsule in the AKG C414 TLII a real CK12 or something else?

Thanks,

Sean B

I have a TLII and like and use it much more than I thought I would.
That being said, I had use of a pair of C12A's for a while and liked
them a whole lot more.

---
http://www.avg.com

AKG C414 XLII versus TLII [email protected] Pro Audio 5 September 24th 07 05:36 PM
AKKG 414 XLII vs TLII mosch Pro Audio 17 January 3rd 05 03:52 PM
TLII vs XLII chiasson Pro Audio 5 November 11th 04 04:44 AM
AKG C414 TLII HWBossHoss Pro Audio 7 September 3rd 04 11:14 PM
QUESTION: My AKG C414B-TLII HWBossHoss Pro Audio 2 August 21st 04 06:14 PM