suthep

Default Home theatre with hifi recommendations sought

I want to buy a home theatre with a as good hifi sound as possible. My
budget is 5000 USD max and I would appreciate some advice. My friend (
there's always one isn't there .. ) says that Denon or Onkyo DVD player /
amps are good options. But what about speakers? Should I try to go for used
stuff and buy separates or buy something new in a box?
I only need DVD/CD player and TV size should be perhaps up to 54inch. Is
plasma really worth the extra?

Ian S

"suthep" wrote in message
I want to buy a home theatre with a as good hifi sound as possible. My
budget is 5000 USD max and I would appreciate some advice. My friend (
there's always one isn't there .. ) says that Denon or Onkyo DVD player /
amps are good options. But what about speakers? Should I try to go for

used
stuff and buy separates or buy something new in a box?
I only need DVD/CD player and TV size should be perhaps up to 54inch. Is
plasma really worth the extra?

Read the latest Consumer Reports which has an extensive discussion of the
various types of displays and their pluses and minuses. For example, plasma
TVs may not be a good choice if you live at altitudes above 2500 feet. I'd
buy new stuff - used can be a crap shoot. A system of separates if properly
put together is going to outperform HTIB but will likely cost more too.

Consumer Reports (et al) is probably okay for appliances but
worthless for discerning the differences in serious audio or other
things requiring a higher level of discretion. This applies to some
simple things as well. They rate a Sears Craftsman wrench the same as a
Snap-On for example. One is a mediocre product that meets a minimum
federal buying spec the other is pretty close to the best that can be
built for its intended purpose. Since their tests only determine
whether or not they met a specification, both are equal. A Craftsman
wrench is suited for its intended purpose but it is not as good as a
Snap-On, it's as simple as that. Consumer testing organizations deal
with a lowest common denominator mentality.

Ian S

wrote in message
oups.com...
Consumer Reports (et al) is probably okay for appliances but
worthless for discerning the differences in serious audio or other
things requiring a higher level of discretion. This applies to some
simple things as well.

So they are OK for rating "appliances" but not simple things? Is a TV an
appliance? How is "serious audio" defined?

They rate a Sears Craftsman wrench the same as a
Snap-On for example. One is a mediocre product that meets a minimum
federal buying spec the other is pretty close to the best that can be
built for its intended purpose. Since their tests only determine
whether or not they met a specification, both are equal.

Consumers Union develops its own tests and subjects the tested items to the
same test. Frequently, testing involves a test to failure. In addition,
products are evaluated on the basis of cost so that a product with the same
performance but cheaper will rank higher. My response to the O.P. was in
reference to TV displays. Perhaps you could read the report in question and
determine specifically where it is deficient. I know "audiophiles" poo-poo
CU's tests of audio equipment probably because they don't generally test the
boutique components that audiophiles drool over.

A Craftsman
wrench is suited for its intended purpose but it is not as good as a
Snap-On, it's as simple as that.

I suppose Snap-On wrenches are "serious" tools. I get the distibct
impression that "serious" to you is determined by the price tag.

Consumer testing organizations deal
with a lowest common denominator mentality.

Ian S wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Consumer Reports (et al) is probably okay for appliances but
worthless for discerning the differences in serious audio or other
things requiring a higher level of discretion. This applies to some
simple things as well.

So they are OK for rating "appliances" but not simple things? Is a TV

an
appliance? How is "serious audio" defined?

If I were a serious washing machine buff-I'm sure they exist-I
wouldn't like CU's washing machine tests either. There are many
subtleties in washing machines, or there were during the time when I
was familiar with them. A Maytag was more durable than a
Kenmore/Whirlpool in the sense failures were rarer, but the Kenmore was
cheaper to fix. The belt was a bitch to change on the Kenmore, but did
act as a safety link against tearing up the transmission. Only
appliance technicians would know these things, or a obsessed washing
machine buff. CU didn't cover these kind of things. CU was probably
okay as a general guide weeding out the mostpoorly built machines and
directing people to the better ones in general, but it didn't have time
or inclination to communicate all the subtleties. And because most
people didn't really give a ****, that was a fair deal.

This group is composed of the audio equivalent of serious washing
machine buffs.

[...]

You can get a pretty complete set of Craftsman hand tools for
mechanical work in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive and the equivalent sized
combination wrenches, et al, for three or four hundred dollars if you
wait until they are on sale. That same collection in Snap-On is
probably five grand. If you can wangle 'industrial' pricing or you buy
the whole enchilada at once from a truck vendor and you catch him at
an opportune moment, you might get a ten percent price break-period.
The price is the same whether you buy one wrench or the whole catalog,
theoretically. That's considered a plus, in their market. The Craftsman
tools will work but they are heavier, thicker, and will not take the
abuse the Snap-ons will, and the Snap-Ons will clean up easier, and are
just generally nicer to work with. Also, and this is the real
difference, Snap-On tools are vended to their target customers off a
truck-you are paying for convenience and for their credit policies.
Their industrial business is strictlyu a side-car to their auto
business.

But cost aside-their tools are a lot better. If all you do is change
your oil, you don't need Snap-On. But if you want the best tool you can
get, there they are. That's what "high-end" means.

suthep

this is all a pile of use to me seeking recommendations of a system
......zzzz///

Ian S

"suthep" wrote in message

this is all a pile of use to me seeking recommendations of a system
.....zzzz///

I'll restate my original advice: get the latest issue of Consumer Reports
and read up on the newest TV technology since it sounds as if that will be
by far the single biggest item in your budget. Each technology has its pros
and cons and you have to consider the question of getting high definition
now or later. Screen size is not as simple as it sounds since you need to
consider how far away you'll be as well as how much off-axis viewers might
be.

There are plenty of good receivers - Onkyo, Denon, Harmon-Kardon, Pioneer,
Yamaha, Kenwood, etc. - get one with at least 80 watts/channel RMS all
channels driven. Most receivers are tested using 8 ohm impedance speakers
which are the norm. However, a few speakers may be as low as 4 ohms and that
can cause problems for some receivers. Get 6.1 or even 7.1 but bear in mind
that means either 6 or 7 passive speakers plus a subwoofer will be required
to get the benefit. Speaking of subs, you'll want a powerful one for the low
frequency effects in DVD movies - Hsu makes some exceptionally good value
ones. I happen to like their Ventriloquist speaker set too but there are
plenty of good choices for front, center and surrounds. Decent DVD players
are pretty cheap these days. You can even get "universal" players with DVD-A
and SACD playback for as low as $100 if those music formats are of interest
but then also make sure your receiver has the correct inputs for the
individual analog cables those formats use. If you have a turntable
requiring phono inputs, make sure you have them on your receiver - many
don't anymore.

suthep

[...]

Thx , this is what I am looking for , some basic advice. One question. Since
I will want to listen to music perhaps even more than watching movies, are
there any further pointers you would like to give me?

Ian S

"suthep" wrote in message

[...]

That's kind of the boat I'm in too. I think the typical advice is to get
full range front speakers assuming your music sources are CD, turntable or
cassette played back in normal stereo. These will tend to be large and will
have a lower SAF (Spousal Approval Factor) than an entire system of small
satellites. I went the satellite route myself and am happy with that but you
may want to go with full range fronts. When I say full range, I don't mean
they have to have huge woofer elements to get down to 30 Hz or below -
that's what your sub will be for. A lot of front speakers are in a slim
tower design which eliminates the need for stands of any kind - it's best to
have mid and high range drivers at the same height as your ears while
listening.

Even with music, you'll appreciate a good sub with capabilities down to 25
Hz or less (Bach organ music especially). You'll want adjustability in
crossover some of which may be handled by the sub electronics and some
handled by the receiver. There is also an art to sub placement relative to
the listener; much depends on the room itself. Also the size and nature of
the room as well as your own tastes (loudness levels) will influence your
audio choices.

If you're into music, you may as I did want to dabble with the new formats -
DVD-Audio and SACD. These provide superb high quality musical sound in a
surround format. Some people consider them gimmicky, you have to have a
special DVD player to play them in optimum format, the titles available are
fewer, and they're a bit more expensive than standard CDs. Still, I like the
surround sound - stems from my youthful desire for a Quadraphonic system way
back in the 1970's, I guess.

Crutchfield has some general info too
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...RmlqNori/home/

These are just some random thoughts I have on the subject. I'm still
learning too.

Joseph Oberlander

Ian S wrote:

That's kind of the boat I'm in too. I think the typical advice is to get
full range front speakers assuming your music sources are CD, turntable or
cassette played back in normal stereo. These will tend to be large and will
have a lower SAF (Spousal Approval Factor) than an entire system of small
satellites.

This is rubbish. Often, the stands are even *more* ugly than
a nice, thin tower. http://www.tannoy.com/Eyris2 Note the
beautiful real wood veneer and a thin profile. I've found
that the mounts/stands for most speakers are often uglier than
a good small tower or wall-mounted surround.

Show this to your spouse. Then, as most women have better
hearing than men by middle-age, let her hear them Tannoy
stopped making their Revolution, which is a shame, but they
also are great sounding without being a behemoth.

I went the satellite route myself and am happy with that but you
may want to go with full range fronts. When I say full range, I don't mean
they have to have huge woofer elements to get down to 30 Hz or below -
that's what your sub will be for. A lot of front speakers are in a slim
tower design which eliminates the need for stands of any kind - it's best to
have mid and high range drivers at the same height as your ears while
listening.

35-40hz is the optimal range, as it will go down to 30hz, though at
less db. This gives it some overlap with the subwoofer, so the
sub isn't doing it all, but instead, is providing reinforcement
as it should be. The difference between subwoofer reinforcement
and it taking over everything at the low-end is quite audible.

"Ian S" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've used both Craftsman and Snap-On wrenches. Although the Snap-On wrench
is prettier, I don't see that it's better in any meaningful way, and it
certainly doesn't have a better warranty.

Norm Strong

Ian S

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message
ink.net...

Ian S wrote:

That's kind of the boat I'm in too. I think the typical advice is to get
full range front speakers assuming your music sources are CD, turntable

or
cassette played back in normal stereo. These will tend to be large and

will
have a lower SAF (Spousal Approval Factor) than an entire system of

small
satellites.

This is rubbish. Often, the stands

What stands? I didn't mention stands. Small satellites are easily and
inexpensively mounted on the wall. And they can be quite unobtrusive. That
said, if you do go with satellites, it may be useful to use some cheap
adjustable stands initially to have the ability to move the speakers around
before settling on the best location for each speaker in your room. Once you
have the optimum location pattern, some or all of the satellites can be
wall-mounted. For someone on a tight budget and wanting to go with slim
tower front speakers, Fry's Electronics (at least here in Phoenix and
probably other places as well) has Polk R50's on for $160 a pair.

Ian S

Some more thoughts:

Some of the new receivers with 6.1 or 7.1 capability are quite large. Make
sure you have room in any cabinet you want to put them in and that there is
good ventillation otherwise you run the risk of the amps shutting down due
to overheating. Also realize that you will need quite a bit of room behind
the receiver to deal with the large number of cables you'll be connecting.

Also, unless you plan to purchase a sophisticated remote, make sure you can
live with the one that comes with the receiver. There is an surprising
variability in the quality of the ergonomics in this often overlooked
component. When you get your selection of components narrowed down, then
search the internet for user reviews which will often mention such small but
ultimately significant details.

Ian S

wrote in message

I've used both Craftsman and Snap-On wrenches. Although the Snap-On

wrench
is prettier, I don't see that it's better in any meaningful way, and it
certainly doesn't have a better warranty.

Norm Strong

It's been many years since I used any Snap-on tools and they were certainly
the highest quality. Of course, they were far more expensive than just about
anything else but included in the price had to be the cost of all those guys
driving around to sell and deliver to all those mechanics. As you say, the
warranties are lifetime but the Snap-on replacement comes to you while you
have to go get the Craftsman.

Joseph Oberlander

Ian S wrote:

What stands? I didn't mention stands. Small satellites are easily and
inexpensively mounted on the wall.

Oh, you mean those rear-ported speakers? And mount them on what?
Velcro? Most wall mounts are also ugly in the extreme, especially
if you have off-white walls or wallpaper.

wall-mounted. For someone on a tight budget and wanting to go with slim
tower front speakers, Fry's Electronics (at least here in Phoenix and
probably other places as well) has Polk R50's on for $160 a pair.

Ecch. Polk are rubbish at the low-end. Truly. I'd take a pair
of Athenas over them, and a pair of Mirage or Paradigm would make
it way up my list of budget choices.

True, really beautiful towers like the Tannoys run about $600-$1200
a pair, but, IMO, it's well worth it as they almost are in the category
of fine furniture.

Ian S

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message
nk.net...

Ian S wrote:

What stands? I didn't mention stands. Small satellites are easily and
inexpensively mounted on the wall.

Oh, you mean those rear-ported speakers? And mount them on what?
Velcro? Most wall mounts are also ugly in the extreme,

Most wall-mounts are virtually invisible behind the speaker.

especially
if you have off-white walls or wallpaper.

Wallpaper? Yeah, I think my senile aunt has some of that..

wall-mounted. For someone on a tight budget and wanting to go with slim
tower front speakers, Fry's Electronics (at least here in Phoenix and
probably other places as well) has Polk R50's on for $160 a pair.

Ecch. Polk are rubbish at the low-end. Truly. I'd take a pair
of Athenas over them, and a pair of Mirage or Paradigm would make
it way up my list of budget choices.

Obviously your budget isn't as tight as your ass.

True, really beautiful towers like the Tannoys run about $600-$1200
a pair, but, IMO, it's well worth it as they almost are in the category
of fine furniture.

Which is it speakers or "fine furniture"?

Ian S

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message
nk.net...

True, really beautiful towers like the Tannoys run about $600-$1200
a pair, but, IMO, it's well worth it as they almost are in the category
of fine furniture.

If they're made anything like British cars, no thank you.

Howard Ferstler

Ian S wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My guess (and it is a guess) is that they have tested some
high-end gear and found most of it to not be all that
exceptional. I think that some high-end stuff (certain
speakers and certainly certain surround processors) are
easily a cut above the Best Buy mainstream.

A Craftsman
wrench is suited for its intended purpose but it is not as good as a
Snap-On, it's as simple as that.

I suppose Snap-On wrenches are "serious" tools. I get the distibct
impression that "serious" to you is determined by the price tag.

OK, just what do you use such tools for that would make it
imperative for you that they work all that much better than
the Sears versions? The only people I can see needing such
killer-durable would be professional automobile or
motorcycle mechanics or professional machinists. Sure, it
may make a tool junky feel upscale to own super-duper tools
(I am that way about some of my tools, myself), but feeling
good about something does not make for a rational reason for
ownership. The average tool user can get as much mileage out
of a set of Sears tools as he can get out of a set of
Snap-On versions.

I have a 240 square foot shop out back and have it populated
by maybe eight grand worth of bench and hand power tools and
non-powered hand tools. I can do a lot of stuff out there
(mostly involving woodworking, but also involving some
metalworking and machine-tool stuff), but I do not kid
myself and tell people that I am a professional woodworker
or machinist who must have top-tier hardware. That said, I
am more than satisfied with owning mostly mid-level tools,
although some are professional grade.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Ian S wrote:

I'll restate my original advice: get the latest issue of Consumer Reports
and read up on the newest TV technology since it sounds as if that will be
by far the single biggest item in your budget. Each technology has its pros
and cons and you have to consider the question of getting high definition
now or later. Screen size is not as simple as it sounds since you need to
consider how far away you'll be as well as how much off-axis viewers might
be.

Actually, I agree with you.

There are plenty of good receivers - Onkyo, Denon, Harmon-Kardon, Pioneer,
Yamaha, Kenwood, etc. - get one with at least 80 watts/channel RMS all
channels driven.

I have stated this in numerous product reviews and
commentary articles in The Sensible Sound, and also in my
two AV books. My floor is 100 wpc, however, at least with
the three channels up front.

Most receivers are tested using 8 ohm impedance speakers
which are the norm. However, a few speakers may be as low as 4 ohms and that
can cause problems for some receivers.

I agree. This is why it pays to go as upscale as possible
with receivers. Either that, or stick with speakers that are
spec rated at 6 - 8 ohms.

Get 6.1 or even 7.1 but bear in mind
that means either 6 or 7 passive speakers plus a subwoofer will be required
to get the benefit. Speaking of subs, you'll want a powerful one for the low
frequency effects in DVD movies - Hsu makes some exceptionally good value
ones.

Yes they do. SVS is in that same category. I own three Hsu
subs, one SVS, and two Velodyne servo jobs. Love them all,
and have reviewed all of them for The Sensible Sound.

I happen to like their Ventriloquist speaker set too but there are
plenty of good choices for front, center and surrounds.

I reviewed the Ventriloquist package in issue 101 (Sept/Oct,
2004) of The Sensible Sound. Included the STF-1 sub. Very
nice little group of speakers.

Decent DVD players
are pretty cheap these days.

Yep. I'd stick with something that costs at least a hundred
bucks, however.

You can even get "universal" players with DVD-A
and SACD playback for as low as $100 if those music formats are of interest
but then also make sure your receiver has the correct inputs for the
individual analog cables those formats use.

The issue here is bass management and distance compensation.
This puts SACD and DVD-A at a disadvantage if the system has
smallish satellites, for sure. Frankly, with DVD-A you can
play the DD or DTS alternate tracks on the discs and get
bass management and distance compensation. That makes those
tracks probably better sounding in most cases than the DVD-A
tracks. Actually, I have compared DVD-A to DD on a number of
occasions (easy to do if a distributor sends you multiple
copies and you have multiple players hooked into the same
system) and find that subjectively the latter sounds just as
good, period.

I have also compared SACD to some of the CD versions (a
lengthy report series will be in an upcoming review of The
Sensible Sound) and found that if good DSP ambiance
synthesis is applied to the two-channel CD versions they
will sound as good as the SACD surround versions, and
sometimes better. SACD and DVD-A are both overrated when it
comes to per-channel performance, in my opinion, but of
course they also offer surround. However, in some systems
that technology goes to waste, because of the bass
management and distance compensation issues.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Ian S wrote:

If you're into music, you may as I did want to dabble with the new formats -
DVD-Audio and SACD. These provide superb high quality musical sound in a
surround format. Some people consider them gimmicky, you have to have a
special DVD player to play them in optimum format, the titles available are
fewer, and they're a bit more expensive than standard CDs. Still, I like the
surround sound - stems from my youthful desire for a Quadraphonic system way
back in the 1970's, I guess.

Remember those bass-management and distance-compensation
issues, however. Most 5.1 analog input sections in receivers
will not have those circuits. This can make typical sub/sat
systems (even those with largish left and right main
speakers) run into problems.

Howard Ferstler

No one ever said High End audio was rational. It's obsessive
compulsive behavior! It's a relatively harmless outlet for OCD, as
opposed to some others. Mid-fi is more rational which is why it sells
more- a reasonable approximation at a reasonable price. You buy it,
hook it up, it sounds okay. Not super great, okay. The same with a
hobbyist owning Snap-On wrenches, or HP/Agilent or Tek test equipment,
or a Hasselblad camera...no, you don't need it. That's the point.

About any old speakers hooked to about any old amplifier in about any
room will sound about okay, to the average person on the street. If
you have a little money and tme and want the sound to be more
realistic, more, well, more...and you like well made things for their
own sake...high end audio might be a good hobby. Maybe you have money
and no time, just call the high end saloon on lunch break-even dope
defense lawyers and brain surgeons have to eat-and have them deliver
what they think is best. Have some time and curiosity and energy and
not so much cash? Building your own speakers and amps has to beat
watching stupid TV shows. Nothing in the world like flipping the
switch and watching filaments light up...even in 2005.

Clyde Slick

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

Sure, it
may make a tool junky feel upscale to own super-duper tools
(I am that way about some of my tools, myself), but feeling
good about something does not make for a rational reason for
ownership.

That's your problem, Howard, you are adamantly opposed to
other people feeling good. Your entire world view is based on Schadenfruede.

Howard Ferstler

No one ever said High End audio was rational.

But it could be. There is no reason why somebody could not
intelligently shop around for REALLY good speakers, REALLY
good surround processors, and REALLY good ancillary gear,
and then install it in a REALLY good, dedicated room,
possibly built from scratch. (Yep, that is me.) That would
be true high end, and not the baloney behavior we see in
most situations.

It's obsessive
compulsive behavior!

Only with certain individuals. There are those who follow
the guidelines noted above and get GENUINE high-end
performance and not fantasies. Fantasies are not high end.

It's a relatively harmless outlet for OCD, as
opposed to some others.

Yes, it probably is harmless. However, it does result in
certain individuals making suckers out of others. While the
people who sell gimmick products are not exactly dragging
down our culture, they can, and do, sometimes do damage to
individuals who purchase overpriced gear. Also, there is
something about dumbing down any hobby that I find
offensive.

Mid-fi is more rational which is why it sells
more- a reasonable approximation at a reasonable price. You buy it,
hook it up, it sounds okay. Not super great, okay.

Agreed.

The same with a
hobbyist owning Snap-On wrenches, or HP/Agilent or Tek test equipment,
or a Hasselblad camera...no, you don't need it. That's the point.

What point? Again, a REAL high-end enthusiast (be audio,
tools, or cameras the point of interest) will work to get
stuff that does all that is required to satisfy certain
requirements. Yes, if he is loaded with money he can get
overkill items (I have done that myself in audio, tools, and
photography in some, but certainly not all, cases), but that
does not mean that he will get a performance edge that
matters in terms of reality.

Also, most of the guys who get upscale tools or upscale
camera gear (I once did weddings, portraits, and landscape
photography for money, myself) do not spend big bucks on
items that do nothing. This is not the case with audio
freaks, who will spend big bucks on power conditioners,
super wire, vibration control devices, and other goofy
gimmicks.

As an obsessive hobby, audio sits an irrational peg above
photography or woodworking or metalworking enterprises.

About any old speakers hooked to about any old amplifier in about any
room will sound about okay, to the average person on the street.

Ironically, a high-end package may actually sound worse. Not
always, but sometimes. Much high-end gear is overpriced and
overkill junk. (Read: SET amps, for instance.) Is someone
who purchases stuff like that in total ignorance and then
become pleased with results that are substandard in the
extreme a REAL high-end enthusiast? I think not. I think
they are a bit addled, and as you noted obsessive, but I do
not think that they are genuine high-end audio enthusiasts.
High-end audio enthusiasts, the real ones and not the fakes
that hang out here, know what they are doing.

If
you have a little money and tme and want the sound to be more
realistic, more, well, more...and you like well made things for their
own sake...high end audio might be a good hobby. Maybe you have money
and no time, just call the high end saloon on lunch break-even dope
defense lawyers and brain surgeons have to eat-and have them deliver
what they think is best. Have some time and curiosity and energy and
not so much cash? Building your own speakers and amps has to beat
watching stupid TV shows. Nothing in the world like flipping the
switch and watching filaments light up...even in 2005.

Not for me.

Howard Ferstler

Howard, a guy who builds a WE91 clone (or two) for a few hundred
bucks, just how nuts is he? If it blows goats (and I think it does...)
he's out a few hundred bucks, or he can put it on ebay and get his
parts cost out of it. (Or use it for a guitar amp.) What has he lost?
The time spent building it? Amusement, cheaper than going to a ball
game. You are lumping the DIY building hobbyist with the guy who goes
to the saloon and buys all the latest fad stuff new at list.

And power conditioners are no nuttier for high end audio than in the
racks of touring musicians, almost all of them have one now. I have
stated my ideas on cost effective power improvement elsewhere and
while I believe them better than some commercial practices that doesn't
change the fact something needs to be done given power utility
practices today.

What about photography? Esthetically superior photos are often the
result of simpler optics and it's widely acknowledged that Japanese
optics which measure higher in sharpness are less desireable than
German (and overpriced) Zeiss and Leitz optics. Indeed a friend of mine
has had several published art nudes with his "secret weapon", a $2
Polaroid rollfilm camera lens put on a cut down extension tube he uses
with a 67 Pentax. Is the notion that a tube amplifier with a pair of
1940s tubes could be BETTER SOUNDING than a modern one so nutty in
comparison? The insistence of Objectivoids that it can't be so just
doesn't stand up to repeated listening, it is no different than if they
insisted that ABX testing proved soybean sandwiches were better tasting
than a Whataburger. Insist though they may, it will fall on deaf ears.

No pun intended.

Howard Ferstler

Clyde Slick wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

Sure, it
may make a tool junky feel upscale to own super-duper tools
(I am that way about some of my tools, myself), but feeling
good about something does not make for a rational reason for
ownership.

That's your problem, Howard, you are adamantly opposed to
other people feeling good. Your entire world view is based on Schadenfruede.

True. When tweako idiots feel good about moronic issues, I
do indeed start to squirm. If I can get some of you to wake
up and realize that your exotic wires and overpriced amps
are nothing special that will make my day. If you break down
in tears as the mysteriousness of the hobby fades, too bad.

Still, you do not get the full point. I believe that you
pinheads are really, really making high-end (I mean REAL
high end, and not the subjective baloney-related version you
embrace) audio into a joke.

I don't like that.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

What about photography? Esthetically superior photos are often the
result of simpler optics and it's widely acknowledged that Japanese
optics which measure higher in sharpness are less desireable than
German (and overpriced) Zeiss and Leitz optics. Indeed a friend of mine
has had several published art nudes with his "secret weapon", a $2
Polaroid rollfilm camera lens put on a cut down extension tube he uses
with a 67 Pentax.

Hey, the 6 x 7 Pentax was the camera I used for years. Had
two bodies and a case full of lenses. Heavy camera, though.
I also used five different Minolta 35 mm bodies and maybe a
dozen lenses. I had lots of lenses, and potato masher
flashes and power-pack flashes, and umbrellas, and, well,
you know, lots of stuff. Had a b&w and color darkroom in the
house, too. Made all of the wedding shots larger than 4 x 5
myself. Also did work for the state copying a multitude of
nitrate sheet-film negatives onto safe stock. Did over 4,000
in 8 x 10 size right there in that darkroom. A regular
assembly line for five years.

Is the notion that a tube amplifier with a pair of
1940s tubes could be BETTER SOUNDING than a modern one so nutty in
comparison?

Absolutely. See below for the reason.

The insistence of Objectivoids that it can't be so just
doesn't stand up to repeated listening, it is no different than if they
insisted that ABX testing proved soybean sandwiches were better tasting
than a Whataburger. Insist though they may, it will fall on deaf ears.

The guy who used the tube with the Pentax was creating an
"end in itself" piece of art work. Audio enthusiasts are
supposed to be using their hardware to achieve
low-distortion sound reproduction for music (or even home
theater) sound reproduction and not artsy musical
instruments disguised as hi-fi rigs.

The audio hardware is NOT and end in itself.

Howard Ferstler
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

No one ever said High End audio was rational. It's obsessive
compulsive behavior!

Thanks Cal for admitting that in your view, high end audio and its
advocates, as well as the magazines devoted to it are nuts.

It's a relatively harmless outlet for OCD, as opposed to some others.

Yeah, when Marc Phillips stalked my house and was hanging out around town,
looking for me with a rifle - that was relatively harmless. When Scott
Wheeler sued me in California Superior Court, that was relatively harmless,
too. And, when Marc reported me to my local police as a pedophile and Tom
Yutz recommended that others do the same, that was just harmless fun.

Well, you're right Cal, both Scott Wheeler and Marc Philips turned out to be
total and complete putz's, and it all came to nothing. yes, they're
represenative fo the relatively harmless nature of HighEnd Audio.

Mid-fi is more rational which is why it sells
more- a reasonable approximation at a reasonable price. You buy it,
hook it up, it sounds okay. Not super great, okay.

In many cases nobody, not even the review staff of Sterephile it seems, can
hear the difference. So what about that, Cal?

The same with a hobbyist owning Snap-On wrenches,

Huh? Can't a person do useful work with Snap-On wrenches?

or HP/Agilent or Tek test equipment,

I resemble that - and it get some useful work with it, as well.

or a Hasselblad camera...no, you don't need it. That's the point.

Tell the astranauts - they didn't need that Hasselblad at all.

About any old speakers hooked to about any old amplifier in about
any room will sound about okay, to the average person on the street.

Really?

If you have a little money and tme and want the sound to be more
realistic, more, well, more...and you like well made things for their
own sake...high end audio might be a good hobby.

Maybe. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes you don't. With an iffy
situation like this, why rely on a magazine that is basically a joke book?

Maybe you have money
and no time, just call the high end saloon on lunch break-even dope
defense lawyers and brain surgeons have to eat-and have them deliver
what they think is best.

Good advice for people with more money than sense. I'd guess this would be
part of the natural high end ragazine marketplace as well.

Have some time and curiosity and energy and
not so much cash? Building your own speakers and amps has to beat
watching stupid TV shows.

Other than building subwoofers, this is probably as bad advice as any.

Nothing in the world like flipping the
switch and watching filaments light up...even in 2005.

Now Cal's advice is as big of a joke as those high end ragazines and web
site.

Arny Krueger

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

Sure, it
may make a tool junky feel upscale to own super-duper tools
(I am that way about some of my tools, myself), but feeling
good about something does not make for a rational reason for
ownership.

That's your problem, Howard, you are adamantly opposed to
other people feeling good.

Yeah people like high end salesmen and the proprietors of high end
publications. They feel good - they think its a joke when people follow
their advice and trash big segments of CD collections by following their
advice.

Your entire world view is based on Schadenfruede.

Tain't no such word. In fact what Art is talking about Schadenfreude, where
high end salesmen and ragazine staffs drive pleasure by giving bogus advice
that destroys the enjoyment of reeader's music collections with off-the-wall
recommendations like treat your CDs with Armor-All.

Howard Ferstler

Arny Krueger wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com

It's a relatively harmless outlet for OCD, as opposed to some others.

Yeah, when Marc Phillips stalked my house and was hanging out around town,
looking for me with a rifle - that was relatively harmless.

Man, these guys are loony.

When Scott
Wheeler sued me in California Superior Court, that was relatively harmless,
too.

Yep, loony.

And, when Marc reported me to my local police as a pedophile and Tom
Yutz recommended that others do the same, that was just harmless fun.

Loony, for sure.

Well, you're right Cal, both Scott Wheeler and Marc Philips turned out to be
total and complete putz's, and it all came to nothing.

Spineless loonies? My God, how far the noble have fallen!

yes, they're
represenative fo the relatively harmless nature of HighEnd Audio.

That the hobby attracts such people is one reason I am for
"cleaning house." It motivates me.

Well, the money I am paid motivates, too.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Clyde Slick wrote:

And I don't really care about it. Like I said before, my most expensive
component
cost me $1,900. My system has a cost of approximately $6,000. I have walked
out
of high end stores laughing, that I was more pleased with my system than
their
$100,000 system. I feel good about that, but if somebody else
wants to go the route of a $100,000 system, I really couldn't care less.

Your lack of compassion for suckers is noted.

Howard Ferstler

Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

Your entire world view is based on Schadenfruede.

Tain't no such word. In fact what Art is talking about Schadenfreude,
where
high end salesmen and ragazine staffs drive pleasure by giving bogus
advice
that destroys the enjoyment of reeader's music collections with
off-the-wall
recommendations like treat your CDs with Armor-All.

Your previous post of 7:04 PM, in the same thread,
contained the following five errors:

represenative
fo
astranauts
Sterephile
tme

Clyde Slick

Clyde Slick wrote:

And I don't really care about it. Like I said before, my most expensive
component
cost me $1,900. My system has a cost of approximately $6,000. I have
walked
out
of high end stores laughing, that I was more pleased with my system than
their
$100,000 system. I feel good about that, but if somebody else
wants to go the route of a $100,000 system, I really couldn't care less.

Your lack of compassion for suckers is noted.

I'm not the taste police.

Joseph Oberlander

Ian S wrote:

True, really beautiful towers like the Tannoys run about $600-$1200
a pair, but, IMO, it's well worth it as they almost are in the category
of fine furniture.

Which is it speakers or "fine furniture"?

Considering that "Spouse Approval Factor" was brought
up, if you can get both goals met, why not spend a
little more?

Joseph Oberlander

Ian S wrote:

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message
nk.net...

True, really beautiful towers like the Tannoys run about $600-$1200
a pair, but, IMO, it's well worth it as they almost are in the category
of fine furniture.

If they're made anything like British cars, no thank you.

Heh. Thankfully, speakers are one of the few areas that
the British actually excel at.

Ian S

[...]

These are excellent points - thank you for making them. I wonder if we're
stuck with analog from the player for these formats. I'm just dabbling in
them out of curiosity more than anything. One DVD-A I bought has Bach's
Toccata & Fugue in d minor with video closeup of the keyboard as the
organist plays. It's a large baroque organ that Bach himself reportedly
played. I really enjoyed that! There's no way I'd ever get to see anything
like that so closeup and with the exceptional audio to boot.

dave weil

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:04:23 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Yeah, when Marc Phillips stalked my house

Yeah, sort of like when *you* stalked my house in cyberspace.