Jimmy Lee

Default Carlos Vega.

My goodness. All this talk of drummers had me looking at a website, and I
looked for Carlos Vega. DEAD! He shot himself in 1998. I did not know this.
I am bummed. James Taylor's pianist, Don Grolnick, also died (which I knew).
I was living in Hollywood when Jeff Porcaro died from coke. His Dad taught
at a school my friend was going to. Sad. This Carlos Vega thing is bumming
me out. I have always loved drums, and can't play them worth a damn.

Let's hope Nigel Olsson stays healthy. Another tasteful drumming great one.

JL
www.cdbaby.com/jimmylee

R Krizman

Let's hope Nigel Olsson stays healthy. Another tasteful drumming great one.

No ****. Great to see him on the Elton John/Billy Joel tour. Made Billy's
band sound like a bunch of sissies.

-R
Phil Hadaway

And this is the same Nigel Olson that brought us the wonderful song "A
Little Bit Of Soap". Let's rethink the sissy line. Remember he does
"play" with Elton.

On 15 Dec 2003 18:20:47 GMT, (R Krizman) wrote:

No ****. Great to see him on the Elton John/Billy Joel tour. Made Billy's
band sound like a bunch of sissies.

-R

R Krizman

And this is the same Nigel Olson that brought us the wonderful song "A
Little Bit Of Soap". Let's rethink the sissy line. Remember he does
"play" with Elton.

LOL. Well at least he doesn't hit like a sissy.

-R

John Marsden

And whilst you worship Nigel - remember it was producer/engineer Gus Dungeon
who was really responsible for the sound of his drums - his drum tech told
me that Nigel can't even tune his own drums. Moreover, it could be argued
that Gus was responsible for most of Elton's success (and indeed the
production sound of the 70's) since it's fairly well known that Elton and
band would leave pretty much after cutting the basic tracks leaving Gus to
fashion the productions and hits that made Elton what he was.

I'd encourage you to check out some info on Gus (who was tragically killed
in a car accident last fall in England whilst preparing to do a bit of work
with Nigel... - great "goodbye" article in Mix not long ago). He really was
the genius behind the star...

--
John Marsden
Little-Big Sound

"philip shaw bova" wrote in message
om...
(R Krizman) wrote in message
Let's hope Nigel Olsson stays healthy. Another tasteful drumming

great one.

No ****. Great to see him on the Elton John/Billy Joel tour. Made

Billy's
band sound like a bunch of sissies.

-R

It's sad about Carlos. I think he was the closest sounding drummer to
Jeff Porcaro. Nigel Olsson is one of my favorite solid drummers. His
drums always sound huge on those old elton recordings. In an era when
everybody was going for the dead booth sound, Nigel's kit had a slight
bit of the room mic added in. Made for huge tom sounds.

pusher

Hey Jimmy Lee, sounds like you went to GIT? If so, what year? I was
there when Joe Porcaro was teaching there as well.

pusher
R Krizman

And whilst you worship Nigel - remember it was producer/engineer Gus Dungeon
who was really responsible for the sound of his drums - his drum tech told
me that Nigel can't even tune his own drums. BRBR

Well he must have a helluva tech, because live he sounds just like the records.
Then and now. (I saw Elton's first tour and his most recent one).

It's Nigel.

-R

It's sad about Carlos.

Does anyone know the details on Carlos' recording kit? Type of drums
and cymbals. I posted before on how good his recordings with James
Taylor were, I was wondering what he and Frank used to get the sound.
Boy could that guy sit in a groove...

see12mic