Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Who innovated the parametric eq?

The current issue of FOH (2/2011) has a RIP for Bruce Jackson on the front
page. It says that "... his audio innovations include the first parametric
eq...". He was never on my short list for that one. I'm thinking that
someone at Bell Labs might be more deserving and a heck of a lot older.

Anybody got any better nominations?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:25:11 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

The current issue of FOH (2/2011) has a RIP for Bruce Jackson on the front
page. It says that "... his audio innovations include the first parametric
eq...". He was never on my short list for that one. I'm thinking that
someone at Bell Labs might be more deserving and a heck of a lot older.

Anybody got any better nominations?

I thought that the Flickinger was the 1st to include them on his
consoles but don't know if they were original to him.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
The current issue of FOH (2/2011) has a RIP for Bruce Jackson on the front
page. It says that "... his audio innovations include the first parametric
eq...". He was never on my short list for that one. I'm thinking that
someone at Bell Labs might be more deserving and a heck of a lot older.

Anybody got any better nominations?

I believe Mr. Jackson was the first person to build a mixing console with
fully-parametric EQ integrated.

The first parametric was designed by George Massenburg and Burgess McNeil
at ITI in Maryland.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

wrote:

The current issue of FOH (2/2011) has a RIP for Bruce Jackson on the front
page. It says that "... his audio innovations include the first parametric
eq...". He was never on my short list for that one. I'm thinking that
someone at Bell Labs might be more deserving and a heck of a lot older.

Anybody got any better nominations?

I thought that the Flickinger was the 1st to include them on his
consoles but don't know if they were original to him.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin

Didn't Spectrasonics make a modular parametric around 1968? Or maybe the
frequency selection was switched to discreet frequencies. I can't remember.
The studio I worked at at that time had a couple of those modules. Paragon
Recording in Chicago was an early customer of Dan Flickenger. The
parametrics in his mixing console were really sweet.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:02:36 -0600, "Steve King"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

The only SpectraSonics eq's I've ever seen were the 2 or 3 range
switchable either was meant to be inserted in the feedback loop of the
101 and 110 preamp cards. They 3 range units are really nice.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

When was the Orban? Not part of a console of course, but it was an
early stand-alone parametric.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

That must have been what we had. I do remember building a little power
supply for it and several other modules which we mounted in a box with in
and out jacks so we could move it from studio to studio. Was Lang the maker
of a little optical compressor at about that time?

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 2/18/2011 1:25 PM, Arny Krueger wrote:
The current issue of FOH (2/2011) has a RIP for Bruce Jackson on the front
page. It says that "... his audio innovations include the first parametric
eq...". He was never on my short list for that one. I'm thinking that
someone at Bell Labs might be more deserving and a heck of a lot older.

I thought George Massenberg took credit for developing
parametric EQ for audio work.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Art Vanderlay Art Vanderlay is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
The current issue of FOH (2/2011) has a RIP for Bruce Jackson on the front
page. It says that "... his audio innovations include the first parametric
eq...". He was never on my short list for that one. I'm thinking that
someone at Bell Labs might be more deserving and a heck of a lot older.

Anybody got any better nominations?

I believe Mr. Jackson was the first person to build a mixing console with
fully-parametric EQ integrated.

The first parametric was designed by George Massenburg and Burgess McNeil
at ITI in Maryland.
--scott

Scott's correct.

He designed the first Live mixing console that contained parametric eq.
I believe this was the one for Jands that folded in half into it's own
case for transport.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Might I ask a stupid question? Or should I say, make an obvious point?

The question is correctly phrased -- who innovated parametric EQ, not who
"invented" it.

The idea of varying the Q and/or center frequency is implicit in network
analysis/design, and the implementation of electronic equalization. It
needed only await the development of sufficiently high-quality op amps to
make it practical.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Might I ask a stupid question? Or should I say, make an obvious point?

The question is correctly phrased -- who innovated parametric EQ, not
who "invented" it.

I am not sure you are right, each innovation constitutes An invention, the
invention being to make adjustment user accessible via the front panel so as
to be able to use it artistically.

The idea of varying the Q and/or center frequency is implicit in
network analysis/design, and the implementation of electronic
equalization.

True, but that context is the one of compensation for a known transfer
function error, such as in telephony and tape recorder circuitry.

It needed only await the development of sufficiently
high-quality op amps to make it practical.

Ah yes, but erm, my understanding is that it is perfectly possible to make a
very high quality opamp with valves. Conceiveably you could have a point,
but making it requires referencing a pre existing parametric equalizer, ie.
with q and center frequency adjustment accessible on the outside of the box
that was used in a technical context, such as telephone line eq.

IF so, then yes, then using it for artistic purposes constitute innovation
rather than invention, but putting the controls on the outside of the box
constitutes invention.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Might I ask a stupid question? Or should I say, make an obvious point?

The question is correctly phrased -- who innovated parametric EQ, not who
"invented" it.

The idea of varying the Q and/or center frequency is implicit in network
analysis/design, and the implementation of electronic equalization. It
needed only await the development of sufficiently high-quality op amps to
make it practical.

"With the development of the tunable parametric filter by Harold Seidel
of Western Electric and Bell Telephone in 1969[1][2][3] and its
introduction to the audio industry in 1972 by George Massenburg, audio
engineers were able to make much more precise modifications to a sound
signal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parametric_equalizer

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

On 19 феб, 02:18, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/18/2011 1:25 PM, Arny Krueger wrote:

The current issue of FOH (2/2011) has a RIP for Bruce Jackson on the front
page. It says that "... his audio innovations include the first parametric
eq...". He was never on my short list for that one. I'm thinking that
someone at Bell Labs might be more deserving and a heck of a lot older.

I thought George Massenberg took credit for developing
parametric EQ for audio work.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

Not so long time ago, the very same George Massenberg had
an entry on RAP CDs, even posted messages over here.

Now we have "better" experts for a guide.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Might I ask a stupid question? Or should I say, make an obvious point?

The question is correctly phrased -- who innovated parametric EQ, not who
"invented" it.

Everybody did.

I could claim to have innovated the parametric since I was the first person
to chain multiple parametric equalizers into an improvised replacement for
a speaker crossover. The show must go on.

The idea of varying the Q and/or center frequency is implicit in network
analysis/design, and the implementation of electronic equalization. It
needed only await the development of sufficiently high-quality op amps to
make it practical.

It also needed someone to realize that it was a useful thing to have, and
how to configure it. And then someone to figure out how to use it in
practice.

I don't know who figured out the typical "boost/sweep/cut" technique for
resonance control but it's one of those things that seems obvious once you
hear about it, but which took some ingenuity to come up with in the first
place.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mark wrote:
probably not the first and its not a parametric, but nonetheless
interesting reading about the audio baton created by ben tongue

http://www.endino.com/photo9.html

This neglects to mention that the thing is really pretty useless. This may
in fact have been the first graphic EQ, predating the Altec by a short bit.
But it really sounded pretty dreadful, in spite of the cool lights.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

The idea of varying the Q and/or center frequency is implicit
in network analysis/design, and the implementation of electronic
equalization. It needed only await the development of sufficiently
high-quality op amps to make it practical.

It also needed someone to realize that it was a useful thing to have,
and how to configure it. And then someone to figure out how to
use it in practice.

I hardly ever disagree with you, Scott, but that's like saying it's a good
idea to have gas in your car's tank.

I don't know who figured out the typical "boost/sweep/cut" technique
for resonance control but it's one of those things that seems obvious
once you hear about it, but which took some ingenuity to come up
with in the first place.

Isn't Boner generally given credit? Or am I thinking of something else?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:25:11 -0500, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ) :

The current issue of FOH (2/2011) has a RIP for Bruce Jackson on the front
page. It says that "... his audio innovations include the first parametric
eq...". He was never on my short list for that one. I'm thinking that
someone at Bell Labs might be more deserving and a heck of a lot older.

Anybody got any better nominations?

George Massenburg invented it.

He's alive and well in Montreal these days.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 09:24:08 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):
It also needed someone to realize that it was a useful thing to have, and
how to configure it. And then someone to figure out how to use it in
practice.

I don't know who figured out the typical "boost/sweep/cut" technique for
resonance control but it's one of those things that seems obvious once you
hear about it, but which took some ingenuity to come up with in the first
place.
--scott

AIR, in conversations with George or elsewhere, he did it because he was
unhappy with the lack of control that existing EQ offered. A better tool was
required. George's education as a Johns Hopkins Engineering Student had
prepared him for that sort of work.

He and Burgess are both very bright chaps.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
message
[...]

Boner is generally credited with orginating the idea of adding eq (initially
in the form of purpose-built passive LCR circuits) to live sound systems to
tailor them for specific venues and events.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

George Massenburg invented it.

"With the development of the tunable parametric filter by Harold Seidel
of Western Electric and Bell Telephone in 1969[1][2][3]"...

I posted a link elsewhere in this thread.

So George was building one prior work. Nothing wrong with that.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
The idea of varying the Q and/or center frequency is implicit
in network analysis/design, and the implementation of electronic
equalization. It needed only await the development of sufficiently
high-quality op amps to make it practical.

It also needed someone to realize that it was a useful thing to have,
and how to configure it. And then someone to figure out how to
use it in practice.

I hardly ever disagree with you, Scott, but that's like saying it's a good
idea to have gas in your car's tank.

Yeah, pretty much. But it is, indeed, a good idea to have gas.

I guess it's more like saying that after someone invented the car, someone
else had to invent the stop sign and someone else had to invent the notion
of driving on the right side of the road.

All of these things are important.

I don't know who figured out the typical "boost/sweep/cut" technique
for resonance control but it's one of those things that seems obvious
once you hear about it, but which took some ingenuity to come up
with in the first place.

Isn't Boner generally given credit? Or am I thinking of something else?

I don't know.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
The idea of varying the Q and/or center frequency is implicit
in network analysis/design, and the implementation of electronic
equalization. It needed only await the development of sufficiently
high-quality op amps to make it practical.

It also needed someone to realize that it was a useful thing to have,
and how to configure it. And then someone to figure out how to
use it in practice.

I hardly ever disagree with you, Scott, but that's like saying it's a good
idea to have gas in your car's tank.

Well, at one time gasoline was just a useless and dangerous byproduct of
refining kerosene, till someone came up with the innovative idea of using it
as a new fuel for internal combustion engines.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:26:03 -0500, hank alrich wrote
(in article ):

Ty Ford wrote:

George Massenburg invented it.

"With the development of the tunable parametric filter by Harold Seidel
of Western Electric and Bell Telephone in 1969[1][2][3]"...

I posted a link elsewhere in this thread.

So George was building one prior work. Nothing wrong with that.

Providing he knew about Seidel.

DIY parametric EQ ? Andre Majorel Tech 4 May 25th 08 08:08 PM
FS: ITI ME-230 Parametric Eq. MTM99 Pro Audio 0 December 10th 07 12:17 PM
FS: ITI ME 230 Parametric Eq. MTM99 Marketplace 0 October 26th 07 07:08 AM
WTB - parametric EQ MD Pro Audio 9 October 9th 05 01:51 PM