Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default MR8HD replacement

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a replacement for my MR8HD for the "small kit". Local gear
pusher suggested Zoom R16. I kinda like it and I kinda worry that it is
likely to also lack roadworthyness, but the control surface ability looks
interesting. Suggestions, comments, alternative solutions? - basic
requirement is 4 channels simultanous recording for import to daw. Cost
matters.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 2/2/2011 9:29 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:

I'm looking for a replacement for my MR8HD for the "small kit". Local gear
pusher suggested Zoom R16. I kinda like it and I kinda worry that it is
likely to also lack roadworthyness

So at that price, buy two. That's probably still less than
you paid for your Fostex (if that's the MR8HD you're talking
about) unless you didn't buy it new. Besides, what's to be
less roadworthy? It's smaller, lighter, doesn't have a hard
drive. I'd be more concerned with how big of a pain it is to
operate.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 2/2/2011 9:29 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:

I'm looking for a replacement for my MR8HD for the "small kit".
Local gear pusher suggested Zoom R16. I kinda like it and I kinda
worry that it is likely to also lack roadworthyness

So at that price, buy two. That's probably still less than
you paid for your Fostex (if that's the MR8HD you're talking
about) unless you didn't buy it new.

New at DKK 3800 in 2007. Found out recently that too much compression is not
good for audio and can cause it to appear to be monophonic, at least when
the compressed sonic object is the harddisk-recorder. which is to say that
only channel 1 would arm for record after I had foolishly left the small
suitcase with mics, cables and preamp on top of the hardshell attache-case
with the MR8HD, its side had bent inwards and allowed the weight to rest on
the knobs.

Besides, what's to be
less roadworthy? It's smaller, lighter, doesn't have a hard
drive.

Actually it is more roadworthy by design having the high sides.

I'd be more concerned with how big of a pain it is to
operate.

From the manual just recording should be simple .... I'd rather have the
small Tascam 8-track but it is not a planned equipment upgrade and the gear
pusher offers 1 week unconditional return, gonna go get one and try it, I
haven't found much negative said about it and the control surface aspect of
it could come in handy.

Thanks Mike &

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 2/2/2011 9:29 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:

I'm looking for a replacement for my MR8HD for the "small kit".
Local gear pusher suggested Zoom R16. I kinda like it and I kinda
worry that it is likely to also lack roadworthyness

So at that price, buy two. That's probably still less than
you paid for your Fostex (if that's the MR8HD you're talking
about) unless you didn't buy it new. Besides, what's to be
less roadworthy? It's smaller, lighter, doesn't have a hard
drive. I'd be more concerned with how big of a pain it is to
operate.

Just got a full refund at the gearpusher for the Zoom R16, headphone output
limited in a way that is good for a 14 year old using it a basement toy, but
not good for live location recording, I would have had to get a headphone
amp, ie. one more box with one more wallwart. I could'ave lived with its
fiddlyness if sound had been better than the MR8HD, but at a rapid evening
test with talking into a mic it wasn't and the rendition of space around the
voice was too limited.

That is just my opinion at a rapid test and not a full A-B test, and the
showstopper was the headphone output level, it had taken impressively good
sound quality for it to overcome that, equal to the MR8HD had not been
enough.

The chamber music guys I record like the Fostex MR8HD stuff for a rapid
location recording, I don't think they would be equally happy with the sound
of the Zoom R16. So what I will do is to first check repairability of the
broken MR8HD or get a new and try not to kill it.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen