Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

Default Analog summing

I recently heard about the SPL MixDream from an engineer who couldn't say
enough good things about it. When they A/B'd mixes with this against digital
summing he claimed that everyone in the room could easily hear a significant
improvement: more depth, space ,etc.

I personally don't see what you get from the active summing from the SPL
http://www.spl.info/index.php?id=131&L=

vs. a passive solution like this:
http://www.rollmusic.com/folcrom.php

Seems to me that if SPL is making the sound better it's got to be that the
analog circuitry is adding something which is euphonically pleasing, more
than just plain summing.

I'm also a bit sceptical about the whole argument that digital summing adds
errors somehow. I don't think there's a DAW out there with less than 32bit
floating point summing, and you're not going to get a lot of rounding errors
from that. I'm not disputing what people claim to hear, just their reasoning
about why it sounds better.

Am I missing something here?

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

I'm not disputing what people claim to hear, just their reasoning
about why it sounds better.

Am I missing something here?

Sean

yes, audiophoolery is alive and well even among pros.

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mark" wrote in message
I'm not disputing what people claim to hear, just their reasoning
about why it sounds better.

Am I missing something here?

Sean

yes, audiophoolery is alive and well even among pros.

Well, until I have a chance to do my own A/B comparisons I'm not ready to
dismiss other's claims about what they hear.

My own interest in mixing out of the box is simply that I work way faster on
a board with knobs that I can with a mouse. Maybe a good control surface
would solve that problem, and maybe not.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Sean Conolly" wrote in message
"Mark" wrote in message
I'm not disputing what people claim to hear, just their reasoning
about why it sounds better.

Am I missing something here?

yes, audiophoolery is alive and well even among pros.

Well, until I have a chance to do my own A/B comparisons I'm not ready to
dismiss other's claims about what they hear.

What others claim to hear is not the real problem, after all you cannot hear
exactly the same as them, so no A/B comparison you can do can allow you to
dismiss their claims of what they hear.

The real problem as I see it is what others "claim to hear", without the
slightest proof that even *they* can really hear a difference. And far more
common, claiming something that IS actually different, is necessarily
superior just because they say it is. The latter being the sole reason many
still think vinyl or tape is actually a superior medium to digital, rather
than simply one that sounds different in a way *they* prefer. No matter how
many times you say they are entitled to *prefer* whatever they like, they
still find it necessary to claim digital storage is actually technically
inferior. All they really manage to prove is their techncal ignorance
though.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mark" wrote in message
I'm not disputing what people claim to hear, just their
reasoning
about why it sounds better.

Am I missing something here?

Sean

yes, audiophoolery is alive and well even among pros.

Good point.

That is all I need to do to my precious tracks-convert them to analog, put
them through a box that by definition must further degrade them at least in
a technical sense, and then convert them back to digital again. And again.
And again.

Well, until I have a chance to do my own A/B comparisons
I'm not ready to dismiss other's claims about what they
hear.

Until the comparisons are done with adequate controls, I see no reason NOT
dismiss them out of hand.

It takes no brains at all to do comparisions without proper level matching,
time synchronization, and bias controls. If you do things that way, then the
results are worse than useless, as in highly misleading.

Fact is that it is almost impossible to do a mix two different ways and
obtain results that are so close in terms of mixing, that they are worth the
trouble to try to compare to hear differences among good equipment. They are
going to sound different for perfectly human reasons. Next!

It's time to un-suspend disbelief. The guy shot a big wad on equipment so of
course he has to like the results.

My own interest in mixing out of the box is simply that I
work way faster on a board with knobs that I can with a
mouse.

Time to get some good nonlinear editing software and learn how to use it.

Maybe a good control surface would solve that
problem, and maybe not.

Editing in real time is a monumental time waster. Obviously, I have no other
choice when I mix live sound, but when I'm working with recordings there's
no excuse for me to waste time that way.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Well, may be easier to compare than you think. If all of the envelope curves
are in the DAW then you can just add the routings to the summer, match your
gain levels, and use source switching to the monitors to flip back and forth
on the fly. This is still not a scientific comparison but since they're
going for subjective results it's good enough to see if there's an obvious
difference.

It's time to un-suspend disbelief. The guy shot a big wad on equipment so
of course he has to like the results.

The owner runs this as a real business with multiple tracking rooms and a
full time staff, and the rule he states is that any gear like this has to
give him at least a 10% audible improvement or it gets returned. Buyers
remorse is not an issue.

I'm inclined to believe that they simply liked what the extra circuitry was
doing to the sound. That still doesn't rule out the possibilty that they
heard better results simply because they expected to. I'm not (yet) willing
to accept the basic premise that there's a fundamental problem with digital
summing.

My own interest in mixing out of the box is simply that I
work way faster on a board with knobs that I can with a
mouse.

Time to get some good nonlinear editing software and learn how to use it.

Maybe a good control surface would solve that
problem, and maybe not.

Editing in real time is a monumental time waster. Obviously, I have no
other choice when I mix live sound, but when I'm working with recordings
there's no excuse for me to waste time that way.

LOL! If I could work as fast as real time I'd do a back flip. The three or
four minutes it takes to print the mix track is nothing compared to the time
it takes to dial in the tracks, and for me the real waste of time is
investing too much time on EQ's and levels before I hear what the whole mix
sounds like.

Much like a live performance, I can set those on my board far faster than I
can on a screen with a mouse, so the sooner I can shift my work to the board
the sooner I can get done. The only downside is that I can't store and
recall everything later, which is part of my interest in using a control
surface.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer[_3_] Ethan Winer[_3_] is offline

On Jan 17, 7:57 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
Editing in real time is a monumental time waster. Obviously, I have no other
choice when I mix live sound, but when I'm working with recordings there's
no excuse for me to waste time that way.

This really nails it for me. Mixing "with a mouse" is so obviously
superior to handling physical knobs I don't understand why everyone
doesn't agree. :-)

I once watched a ProTools mix session where the pro mix engineer used
a control surface. Due to a Wave file render error not worth
explaining, one of the tracks dropped suddenly in volume by 20 dB. I
watched in amusement as the mix engineer tried repeatedly in vain to
counter the instantaneous reduction using a physical slider. I had to
contain myself not to scream, "Just use your mouse to draw the
friggin' volume change already!"

--Ethan
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

"Sean Conolly" writes:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Various snips

Well, may be easier to compare than you think. If all of the envelope curves
are in the DAW then you can just add the routings to the summer, match your
gain levels, and use source switching to the monitors to flip back and forth
on the fly. This is still not a scientific comparison but since they're
going for subjective results it's good enough to see if there's an obvious
difference.

I went around and around with analog summing myself for a few years. Sometimes it
was marginally "better", sometimes not.

But then I either made or was introduced to some techniques that made a noticeable
difference (for the better) with digital mixing, and in the aggregate outperformed
(IMO) analog summing. This is with PT 7.4 and 8; I understand that earlier versions
had some serious arithmetic shortcomings. And other digital systems have their
supporters and detractors.

- layered convolution reverbs; even the same send sent to two instances of the same
'verb, but with different settings. Modern CPUs can now easily handle this.

- a very long reverb, on the order of 8-10 seconds, but at a very low level.
(sometimes not; depends on material)

- 25 hz steep highpass filter as the first insert on every digital channel (unless
the channel is one of the room omnis in a pipe organ recording). Remember, in a way
analog does such high pass work "naturually" whereas digital will pass all the
subsonic junk, and that might cause problems downstream with, say, compressor
thresholds and even your monitor chain.

- as a last resort, put narrow, shallow notches in the mix bus top end as needed to
tame any perceived edge or bite.

These few things, particularly the high pass, will help.

By comparison, analog summing to me now sounds murky and sometimes dull. This might
be just what you need at times, but for the kind of work I do.

heard better results simply because they expected to. I'm not (yet) willing
to accept the basic premise that there's a fundamental problem with digital
summing.

I agree; modern algorithms do seem to work fairly well.

My own interest in mixing out of the box is simply that I
work way faster on a board with knobs that I can with a
mouse.

Time to get some good nonlinear editing software and learn how to use it.

Indeed. I was dragged kicking and screaming to PT by a client and with a dozen
simultaneous projects, it became a necessity. I now can frequently use the luxury of
walking away for days or weeks and then come back to *exactly* where I left off, and
then have a fresh, unbiased review of the mix, and make any final little tweaks I
might like.

Maybe a good control surface would solve that
problem, and maybe not.

Maybe. In my case, I've completely moved over to the "dark side".

I am continually delighted by the mix precision and mix "transparancy" I can get
simply by using a mouse to change a gain line. But, I also have a 37" central
monitor with another 22" to the right and a 19" to the left. Can't imagine doing
this on a single screen.

To my further delight is the ability to automate *everything*. And not just because
I can, but because sometimes, with live recording (my main gig), there's just a lot
of crap to deal with.

With a good digital rig, program it once and forget it; with an (affordable) analog
rig, you've got to do it each time (other than perhaps level) -- say, doing a swept
up and back down hipass to kill a wump in the hall, or maybe a variable-depth notch
to get rid of the deaf guy in the house with the watch alarm that's beeping 3 times
a second at 6.5 KHz. These are both things I had to do in recent mixes.

Best yet, I don't have to remember or document any of this -- it's all there, it all
comes back next time I open the project. And all I have to do is give a quick glance
at the automation lines to see what all was done.

LOL! If I could work as fast as real time I'd do a back flip. The three or
four minutes it takes to print the mix track is nothing compared to the time
it takes to dial in the tracks, and for me the real waste of time is
investing too much time on EQ's and levels before I hear what the whole mix
sounds like.

So don't use them; do your EQ by mic choice and placement. Alternately, you can
usually save processing settings and recall them by name. You can use templates as
well to get you started with a digital mix very, very quickly.

Understand, though, that I am sympathetic. I was railing about many of the same
things at one time.

the sooner I can get done. The only downside is that I can't store and
recall everything later, which is part of my interest in using a control
surface.

Well, there you go. This is what got me through the door to digital mix, and has
kept me there.

The complexity of some of the mixes is more than daunting to think about while in
analog land.

But the ultimate measure is the end product: my clients seem delighted, and I have
been generally pleased, to have such fine and rich tools available.

But like anything, they can be overused.

Generally, from myself and in watching others, initially learning in the analog
realm has really helped keep the digital sound "real".

Even though the transition might be frustrating at first, have faith in (and give
thanks for) your analog background.

Good luck with it,

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

- 25 hz steep highpass filter as the first insert on every digital channel (unless
the channel is one of the room omnis in a pipe organ recording). Remember, in a way
analog does such high pass work "naturually" whereas digital will pass all the
subsonic junk, and that might cause problems downstream with, say, compressor
thresholds and even your monitor chain.

I have seen unwanted DC offsets that can cause the problems you
mention, and yes a hi pass filter is a good idea.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Sean Conolly" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Fact is that it is almost impossible to do a mix two
different ways and obtain results that are so close in
terms of mixing, that they are worth the trouble to try
to compare to hear differences among good equipment.
They are going to sound different for perfectly human
reasons. Next!

Well, may be easier to compare than you think. If all of
the envelope curves are in the DAW then you can just add
the routings to the summer, match your gain levels, and
use source switching to the monitors to flip back and
forth on the fly. This is still not a scientific
comparison but since they're going for subjective results
it's good enough to see if there's an obvious difference.

Anybody who expects obvious differences between good digital summing and
good analog summing has suspended disbelief in the basic principles of
analog and digital audio.

It's time to un-suspend disbelief. The guy shot a big
wad on equipment so of course he has to like the results.

The owner runs this as a real business with multiple
tracking rooms and a full time staff, and the rule he
states is that any gear like this has to give him at
least a 10% audible improvement or it gets returned.
Buyers remorse is not an issue.

OK, so you have suspended more than a little disbelief yourself.

I'm inclined to believe that they simply liked what the
extra circuitry was doing to the sound.

The extra circuitry is supposed to be waaay better than that! I'm reading in
vendor-supplied documentation about op amps with +/- 30 volt rails, +28 dBu
max output, , -1 dB @ 200 KHz, 125 dB dynamic range, and nonlinear
distortion more than 100 dB down. It's not quite 24 bit digital, but it is
well into the realms of sonic transparency.

That still doesn't rule out the possibilty that they heard better
results simply because they expected to. I'm not (yet)
willing to accept the basic premise that there's a
fundamental problem with digital summing.

Frankly there was a fundamental problem with digital summing back a decade
or two. Top-of-the-line software like Pro Tools was mixing with not enough
bits, and there was a real possibility of audible issues at times. But that
was then and this is now.

My own interest in mixing out of the box is simply that
I work way faster on a board with knobs that I can with
a mouse.

Time to get some good nonlinear editing software and
learn how to use it.

Maybe a good control surface would solve that

problem, and maybe not.

Editing in real time is a monumental time waster.
Obviously, I have no other choice when I mix live sound,
but when I'm working with recordings there's no excuse
for me to waste time that way.

LOL! If I could work as fast as real time I'd do a back
flip.

Since there's a need to review the entire mix, probably more than once,
there's no chance of doing a good job from start to finish in less than
several times real time. However, if you make effective use of nonlinear
editing, you can cut your full passes at the entire program down by a lot.
If you're doing every trial mix in real time, then all of that time can be
cut way down.

The three or four minutes it takes to print the mix
track is nothing compared to the time it takes to dial in
the tracks, and for me the real waste of time is
investing too much time on EQ's and levels before I hear
what the whole mix sounds like.

It is the investment in getting eq and levels right that can be improved. I
don't know what length reasult it takes you several minutes to print, but
for me that would be the over an hour of finished product @ 24 tracks. This
is done using good modern computing but not utterly high end stuff.

The other thing I can say that the good old learning curve can provide some
pretty amazing improvements in productivity. There are jobs that I've been
mixing weekly for over six years. Almost all of the experimentation ended
years ago, and I don't need to listen to everything to know what it is. I
can do a lot just by eyeball, and the job time is only fraction of what it
was, and for a better-sounding product.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Ethan Winer" wrote in message

On Jan 17, 7:57 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
Editing in real time is a monumental time waster.
Obviously, I have no other choice when I mix live sound,
but when I'm working with recordings there's no excuse
for me to waste time that way.

This really nails it for me. Mixing "with a mouse" is so
obviously superior to handling physical knobs I don't
understand why everyone doesn't agree. :-)

I once watched a ProTools mix session where the pro mix
engineer used a control surface. Due to a Wave file
render error not worth explaining, one of the tracks
dropped suddenly in volume by 20 dB. I watched in
amusement as the mix engineer tried repeatedly in vain to
counter the instantaneous reduction using a physical
slider. I had to contain myself not to scream, "Just use
your mouse to draw the friggin' volume change already!"

Yes, I'd like to see someone try to fly a fader as fast as one of those step
level changes that can inadevertantly happen when you push the wrong button
at the wrong time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

It's not a given that mixing goes more rapidly and effectively using
mice and computers than it does in real time using a console. Editing is
not mixing, and there, computers are certainly more facile than razor
blades and little pieces of tape.

[...]

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Sean Conolly wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
I'm not disputing what people claim to hear, just their reasoning
about why it sounds better.

Am I missing something here?

Sean

yes, audiophoolery is alive and well even among pros.

Well, until I have a chance to do my own A/B comparisons I'm not ready to
dismiss other's claims about what they hear.

My own interest in mixing out of the box is simply that I work way faster on
a board with knobs that I can with a mouse. Maybe a good control surface
would solve that problem, and maybe not.

Agreed. I don't know if the summing is really an issue; I rather suspect
that it is not today (although some earlier Pro Tools versions clearly did
not do it properly). However, since it's so easy to do it in the analogue
domain, and I like and demand the analogue interface, I don't see any reason
to bother NOT doing in the analogue world along with the rest of the console.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 18, 2:46 pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
It's not a given that mixing goes more rapidly and effectively using
mice and computers than it does in real time using a console. Editing is
not mixing, and there, computers are certainly more facile than razor
blades and little pieces of tape.

Yes, editing and mixing are different. But I still find mixing faster,
and easier, and more fun, with on-screen envelope automation. Of
course, easier and more fun are subjective. It also helps enormously
to have two or more large video screens. If I had only one display,
I'm sure mousing around in SONAR would be more of a chore.

--Ethan
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Ethan Winer wrote:
On Jan 18, 2:46 pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
It's not a given that mixing goes more rapidly and effectively using
mice and computers than it does in real time using a console. Editing is
not mixing, and there, computers are certainly more facile than razor
blades and little pieces of tape.

Yes, editing and mixing are different. But I still find mixing faster,
and easier, and more fun, with on-screen envelope automation. Of
course, easier and more fun are subjective. It also helps enormously
to have two or more large video screens. If I had only one display,
I'm sure mousing around in SONAR would be more of a chore.

Well, the advantage of using a DAW and a console at the same time is
that you can use both realtime fading AND on-screen envelope automation
at the same time. So you can use each for what they are most convenient
for.

I don't like the on-screen automation, I get the feeling that if I need
something like that then I didn't cut the track properly in the first place.
But plenty of folks do, and it's available if you do and you don't have to
use it if you don't.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

On 2011-01-19 (ScottDorsey) said:
It's not a given that mixing goes more rapidly and effectively
using mice and computers than it does in real time using a
console. Editing is not mixing, and there, computers are
certainly more facile than razor blades and little pieces of

tape.
Yes, editing and mixing are different. But I still find mixing
faster, and easier, and more fun, with on-screen envelope
automation.

snip
Well, the advantage of using a DAW and a console at the same time is
that you can use both realtime fading AND on-screen envelope
automation at the same time. So you can use each for what they are
most convenient for.

wOUld agree. Old blind man doesn't find using the
screenreader and the keypad keys to emulate the mouse to be
that fast, and using the synthesized speech to fight the gui
detracts from listening to the program I"m working with.

I don't like the on-screen automation, I get the feeling that if I
need something like that then I didn't cut the track properly in
the first place. But plenty of folks do, and it's available if you
do and you don't have to use it if you don't.

THen there's that, if I can't get it done with faders
effectively and/or efficiently then I didn't cut the track
properly. dOIng live sound in a performer had difficulty
with his presentation which made for the same sort of
experience where one would find the mouse more to taste then
we usually put some dynamics processing on that element to
help the job go smoother. But, then again, this is why I
chose to do remotes and concentrate on the capture, let
somebody else work with the tools everybody thinks they've
just got to have these days because they can bridge the gap
between improperly prepared performers and finished product.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see
www.gatasound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

I guess it's time to weigh-in on this thread. Whether it's tracking,
mixing, or shipping a performance live to a hundred million
listener/viewers, I cannot sufficiently explain the synergism of "riding
levels" with faders. It doesn't matter to me if the summing is digital or
analog, as long as I can grab a knob and let something almost magic take
place.

Before there were linear faders, successful soundmixers were characterized
as "having a good fist (or wrist)". This meant there was some kind of
ear-brain-muscle connection that allowed them to keep things under control
without the help of leveling devices like compressors and limiters.

After a few decades of mixing, I noticed that my hand was making small
adjustments of the vocal mics without my conscious attention to the levels.
For example, some voices tend to get louder after a breath. Somehow I
heard the breath and automatically adjusted for the level change. When
these tweaks take place upstream of the leveling device, a very commercial
"smoothness" is the result.

I simply can't imagine NOT using a fader to accomplish a truly refined mix.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2011-01-20 said:
I guess it's time to weigh-in on this thread. Whether it's
tracking, mixing, or shipping a performance live to a hundred
million listener/viewers, I cannot sufficiently explain the
synergism of "riding levels" with faders. It doesn't matter to me
if the summing is digital or analog, as long as I can grab a knob
and let something almost magic take place.

That's a big part of what's being missed by folks who never
really got comfortable in that world. IT's a relationship
between what the ears hear and what the hand does, no vu
meters needed even because you've already gainstaged
properly. Audio is *not* a visual medium. iT's about the
sound, and there are times that I"ve been able to make as
rOy says, "something magical" come out of those boxes. I
don't think that would have been possible with a mouse, as
it was happening right now, not a multi-tracked performaance
to be mixed later.

After a few decades of mixing, I noticed that my hand was making
small adjustments of the vocal mics without my conscious attention
to the levels. For example, some voices tend to get louder after a
breath. Somehow I heard the breath and automatically adjusted for
the level change. When these tweaks take place upstream of the
leveling device, a very commercial "smoothness" is the result.
I simply can't imagine NOT using a fader to accomplish a truly
refined mix.

I can't either, and these are characteristics I listen for
and automatically handle, because they're just wired into my
brain. THEy were wired in there when I was a young man, as
ROy notes, mixing on consoles with rotary faders instead of
sliders.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see
www.gatasound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov Predrag Trpkov is offline

"Ethan Winer" wrote in message
On Jan 18, 2:46 pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
It's not a given that mixing goes more rapidly and effectively using
mice and computers than it does in real time using a console. Editing is
not mixing, and there, computers are certainly more facile than razor
blades and little pieces of tape.

Yes, editing and mixing are different. But I still find mixing faster,
and easier, and more fun, with on-screen envelope automation. Of
course, easier and more fun are subjective. It also helps enormously
to have two or more large video screens. If I had only one display,
I'm sure mousing around in SONAR would be more of a chore.

--Ethan

Increasing reliance on visual information certainly goes a long way towards
eliminating the right brain from the process. No happy accidents, spur of
the moment things. People tend to make everything in the mix tidy, free of
noises, free of human imperfections and perfectly proportional... It's
boring to listen to, but progress has its price.

It has revolutionised turd polishing too. Without all that potential
millions of turd providers would be forced to occasionally stumble upon
something half-way inspired, by accident, but turd can be sterilised to
death nowadays and is perfectly recallable.

On the positive side, the music has never looked better and the
mouse-jockeys have never had so much fun. Nobody listens to it anyway.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov Predrag Trpkov is offline

"Richard Webb" wrote in
message ...
Fred writes:

RIght, but the "look" of it isn't what I'm after. I'm after the sound.
Screw what it looks like!

The first time I heard a client saying after a take: "Now let's see how it
sounds", I knew this wasn't going in the right direction.

It didn't take long before I could no longer find comfort in the fact that I
was spending billable hours correcting what the clients perceived as
mistakes by watching the irregularities of the waveform on the screen.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov Predrag Trpkov is offline

"Sean Conolly" wrote in message

That still doesn't rule out the possibilty that they heard better
results simply because they expected to. I'm not (yet)
willing to accept the basic premise that there's a
fundamental problem with digital summing.

The fundamental problem with digital summing is that there's no fundamental
problem. Unlike acoustic or analog summing, digital summing is accurate,
reasonably free of artefacts. Some people, however, prefer the artefacts
inherent in analog summing, especially when dealing with larger number of
channels/instruments in the mix.

Noise affects our perception of sound and seems to be indispensable
regardless of technology. Otherwise it wouldn't have to be added to pristine
digital signals at every stage of processing, including summing.

Distortions color the sound. Some of them are perceived as more pleasing to
the human ear than others. Analog summers, including analog consoles, all
offer different packages of subtle distortions, hence the differences in
sound. Some of the best brains in the industry have been engaged in creating
software plug-ins that are supposed to emulate certain types of distortions,
so there's obviously a need for them in the digital world too.

Subtle phase anomalies/distortions between channels, in particular, help
create false sense of space/depth, especially in low frequencies. While it's
a non-issue in the digital world, it is difficult to fully avoid phase
anomalies with analog technology, even when all electronic components are
new. Sometimes it's a blessing in disguise.

There's no big mystery. Analog summing offers relatively complex packages of
subtle artefacts that are in many cases desirable, but still without an
equivalent, at least as complete packages, in the form of digital
processing.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Predrag Trpkov" wrote in message

Increasing reliance on visual information certainly goes a long way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process. No happy accidents,
spur of the moment things. People tend to make everything in the mix tidy,
free of noises, free of human imperfections and perfectly proportional...
It's boring to listen to, but progress has its price.

It is so good to know that involving visual information goes so far way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process that painting, drawing
and sculpture are no longer considered to be creative arts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Richard Webb" wrote in
message ...
tHen you've the lady singer who gets louder after each
breath intake, as you noted, and a guitar player whose
levels are usable but at times not as consistent as they
should be. sO your right hand ride gain on the vocalist,
whilst your left rides gain on Mr. guitar, and a good
listening experience is had by all.

I don't run a lot of live sound nowadays, but when I do I get fairly
ruthless with the compressors. They get applied in inverse proportion to the
performers ability to control their levels - ranging from no compression for
the really good players to merciless crushing for the truly clueless.

I'll ride the faders some, but I'm not going to spend the whole show trying
to be the human powered compression appliance. I guess it's good that I
don't run sound more than I do.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov Predrag Trpkov is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Predrag Trpkov" wrote in message

Increasing reliance on visual information certainly goes a long way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process. No happy accidents,
spur of the moment things. People tend to make everything in the mix
tidy, free of noises, free of human imperfections and perfectly
proportional... It's boring to listen to, but progress has its price.

It is so good to know that involving visual information goes so far way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process that painting,
drawing and sculpture are no longer considered to be creative arts.

You're making it hard for me, Arny. There's a difference between "involving"
and "increasingly relying on", but if I insist on such subtleties I'd deny
that you've made a point... everybody knows how important it is to you...
and I'd question your reading comprehension too...

Nah... you're right. Drawing perfect circles and squares is definitely
creative art. Just like recording weekly church services.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik[_3_] Ron Capik[_3_] is offline

On 1/20/2011 5:14 PM, Sean Conolly wrote:
"Richard wrote in
message ...
tHen you've the lady singer who gets louder after each
breath intake, as you noted, and a guitar player whose
levels are usable but at times not as consistent as they
should be. sO your right hand ride gain on the vocalist,
whilst your left rides gain on Mr. guitar, and a good
listening experience is had by all.

I don't run a lot of live sound nowadays, but when I do I get fairly
ruthless with the compressors. They get applied in inverse proportion to the
performers ability to control their levels - ranging from no compression for
the really good players to merciless crushing for the truly clueless.

I'll ride the faders some, but I'm not going to spend the whole show trying
to be the human powered compression appliance. I guess it's good that I
don't run sound more than I do.

Sean

Did you make any effort to give a clue to the clueless?
I've found that some are truly interested in learning
and are appreciate the hints. I loved working with those
acts. I worked in a venue where I'd see the same acts
every few months, so we could build a dialog.

Some acts say "**** off" and they'd get the respect and
attention to detail they'd, ummmm, earned.

Hey, if they're truly clueless shouldn't someone at least
try to give them a clue?

Later...
Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
"Predrag Trpkov" wrote:

People tend to make everything in the mix tidy, free of
noises, free of human imperfections and perfectly proportional... It's
boring to listen to, but progress has its price.

Yes. It's damn easy to mouse out some excitement!!

It has revolutionised turd polishing too. Without all that potential
millions of turd providers would be forced to occasionally stumble upon
something half-way inspired, by accident, but turd can be sterilised to
death

Amen.

I guess to some extent, engineers have always had turd polishing as part
of our repertoire. But tools like Autotune, copy/paste & computer
editing have allowed countless people to record their singing that
really shouldn't be.

On the other side of the coin, there are more people who want to record
;

It's a challenge, like attacking a difficult crossword puzzle - can I
actually make this lead vocal slightly acceptable?

On the positive side, the music has never looked better and the
mouse-jockeys have never had so much fun. Nobody listens to it anyway.

Nice post.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Predrag Trpkov" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Predrag Trpkov" wrote in message

Increasing reliance on visual information certainly goes a long way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process. No happy
accidents, spur of the moment things. People tend to make everything in
the mix tidy, free of noises, free of human imperfections and perfectly
proportional... It's boring to listen to, but progress has its price.

It is so good to know that involving visual information goes so far way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process that painting,
drawing and sculpture are no longer considered to be creative arts.

You're making it hard for me, Arny.

No, just pointing out the rather huge flaws in your claim.

There's a difference between "involving" and "increasingly relying on",

Why should anybody become involved or rely on yet another trip down an
intellectual rabbit hole?

Nah... you're right. Drawing perfect circles and squares is definitely
creative art. Just like recording weekly church services.

Please stop being so predictable! It almost makes reading your posts a
waste of time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Roy W. Rising writes:

I guess it's time to weigh-in on this thread. Whether it's
tracking, mixing, or shipping a performance live to a hundred
million
listener/viewers, I cannot sufficiently explain the synergism of
"riding levels" with faders. It doesn't matter to me if the
summing is digital or analog, as long as I can grab a knob and let
something almost magic take place.

doesn't it give you the heebie jeebies just thinking about
entering the remote truck to find instead of faders and
knobs one of those newfangled mix on a tablet pc systems?
Just picture it, a projected half million viewers, a large
ensemble on stage and things have changed at the last minute from what was expected, and now you get to fly this whole
thing and create something listenable for everything from
cheap tabletop televisions to home theater systems with a
touchpad.

tHen you've the lady singer who gets louder after each
breath intake, as you noted, and a guitar player whose
levels are usable but at times not as consistent as they
should be. sO your right hand ride gain on the vocalist,
whilst your left rides gain on Mr. guitar, and a good
listening experience is had by all.

But, with your touchpad, you touch this channel, move the
virtual slider, touch this channel, back and forth ya go.

eeeeew

Regards,
Richard
.... Remote audio in the southland: See www.gatasound.com
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

You jumped to the gun, wrote something stupid and bent over. Now you're hurt
and digging yourself deeper. I agree that it's predictable, but it's your
call.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Fred writes:

Increasing reliance on visual information certainly goes a long way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process. No happy
accidents, spur of the moment things. People tend to make
everything in the mix tidy, free of noises, free of human
imperfections and perfectly proportional... It's boring to listen
to, but progress has its price.

YEah that it does. We're subjected to more people who
couldn't bother with the basics, i.e. learn to play your
instrument before you book studio time.

It has revolutionised turd polishing too. Without all that potential
millions of turd providers would be forced to occasionally stumble
upon something half-way inspired, by accident, but turd can be
sterilised to death nowadays and is perfectly recallable.

rIght, but we can't be politically incorrect and tell people with minimal talent that they should choose another
vocation, or hobby even. After all, we gotta be warm fuzzy
and "inclusive" right!

On the positive side, the music has never looked better and the
mouse-jockeys have never had so much fun. Nobody listens to it
anyway.

RIght, but the "look" of it isn't what I'm after. I'm after the sound. Screw what it looks like!

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2011-01-20 said:
Then you've the lady singer who gets louder after each
breath intake, as you noted, and a guitar player whose
levels are usable but at times not as consistent as they
should be. sO your right hand ride gain on the vocalist,
whilst your left rides gain on Mr. guitar, and a good
listening experience is had by all.

I don't run a lot of live sound nowadays, but when I do I get fairly
ruthless with the compressors. They get applied in inverse
proportion to the performers ability to control their levels -
ranging from no compression for the really good players to
merciless crushing for the truly clueless.
I'll ride the faders some, but I'm not going to spend the whole
show trying to be the human powered compression appliance. I guess
it's good that I don't run sound more than I do.

Right, I"ll strap a compressor across the channel of the
truly clueless, but we're not talking big changes here, just
something you find yourself doing subconsciously for those
little tics that would be noticeable if left in, but aren't
really enough for you to really bother with strapping a
piece of gear across the channel, especially if dynamics
processsing is limited. THe most needy of it get it first
of course, but sometimes that's going to take all you've got
grin.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see
www.gatasound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Predrag Trpkov" wrote in message

Increasing reliance on visual information certainly goes a long way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process. No happy accidents,
spur of the moment things. People tend to make everything in the mix tidy,
free of noises, free of human imperfections and perfectly proportional...
It's boring to listen to, but progress has its price.

It is so good to know that involving visual information goes so far way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process that painting, drawing
and sculpture are no longer considered to be creative arts.

They are not generally considered musical art, a few dynamic sculptures
aside. There's a reason blind people usually hear better than sighted
folks.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

david correia wrote:

In article ,
"Predrag Trpkov" wrote:

[...]

I second that emotion. His post is a lot more entertaining than plenty
of music currently being produced.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Roy W. Rising writes:

levels" with faders. It doesn't matter to me if the summing is digital or
analog, as long as I can grab a knob and let something almost magic take
place.

Couldn't agree more... however, where I've been lucky (in being pushed by one client
in particular with whom there is much mutual respect) is that I've been doing the
equivalent of "level riding with faders" when I manipulate gain lines with a mouse.
And many of my moves are subtle, just like they were with faders.

(BTW, screw the DAW capturing mouse moves on a pictograph fader. Yeech!! If that's
your disdain, I'm with you completely. Instead, go directly to the automation
control lines and learn the tricks to making moves there. That's a 100 times more
precise, satisfying, and way less fatiguing.)

Somehow, I've managed to now get that same visceral feeling from nudging a gain line
as I used to get from touching faders (or even round knobs). I still love the
feel of an old Quad-Eight or SSL, don't get me wrong, but I've been able to
transfer that feel.

And the glories a

- that stupid machine remembers the magic; it is in fact REPEATABLE magic (should I
need to revisit the mix for whatever reason);

- if, on reflection two weeks later that mix wasn't as magical as we all thought
because the intensity of the moment was compensating for something, I can adjust
those pieces of magic that were slightly out of whack. Then I wind up with truly
timeless magic.

- and ALL the magic, all the nuance, all the seemingly infinite little tugs and
tweaks and nudges are all there, for later complete and perfect recall so that (a) I
can see why this mix really worked or (b) FIX something that I overlooked (or make
some minor improvement) without the dread associated with resetting a ton of
outboard gear (or any non-automated settings).

I step right back into the magic simply by reopening a project file, rather than
by staring at my setup notes or even photographs while trying to reset everything
"just so".

In fact, the single biggest advance with a DAW might be the ability to set aside a
project and come back much later, when you have fresh ears and a fresh mind, and
pick up _exactly_ where you left off. (And you might be interleaving a dozen
projects in this way. Occasionally, the change from one thing to another will
actually help clarify some other project.)

Before there were linear faders, successful soundmixers were characterized
as "having a good fist (or wrist)". This meant there was some kind of
ear-brain-muscle connection that allowed them to keep things under control
without the help of leveling devices like compressors and limiters.

Indeed! Seems that I can now do this with gain lines, and 7 times out of 10 I'll do
a move there rather than rely on a compressor.

After a few decades of mixing, I noticed that my hand was making small
adjustments of the vocal mics without my conscious attention to the levels.
For example, some voices tend to get louder after a breath. Somehow I
heard the breath and automatically adjusted for the level change. When
these tweaks take place upstream of the leveling device, a very commercial
"smoothness" is the result.

Absolutely!

I simply can't imagine NOT using a fader to accomplish a truly refined mix.

And this is where I've gone the other way.

Great things can be done with either method; to me (as one who for a
long while grumbled about using a mouse), the DAW method has the advantage of
relentless memory (NOT always a good thing, I will freely acknowledge! w)

The trick comes from knowing what to do and what not to do, with either method. And
this is where those who were schooled in analog have an advantage.

What might have seemed like limitations at various points along the way were
actually valuable guardrails to protect the music.

But when you can use that aesthetic with the newer tools, I think you could do the
same remarkable things you always did in analog. And you'd do so with a new freedom
that once past the awkwardness, you'd be thrilled to have.

YMMV; just don't completely give up on it. For the year of my transition I
almost did -- more than once -- but am so glad now that I did not.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2011-01-20 said:
snip

[...]

INdeed, but there again, you learned the craft before you
had all these tools, and have control of the process,
instead of the process controlling you. I'm also sure that
if you were mixing for a live broadcast, gotta get it right
now, that you'd also prefer your hardware controls, or at
least a control surface.
This is also why I do what I do and encourage folks to take
the project after capture to somebody who utilizes those
tools effectively.
WHen the original Yamaha came out with snapshot automation a
friend of mine bought one in his studio. Once the two old
blind men old farts got it figured out we liked it for a
couple of projects we were working with, least gave us a
starting point.

At the mixing stage of a multitrack project I"ll usually
find myself a good mouse jockey who also understands the old
ways if I"m babysitting the project through that point, and
take full advantage of the capabilities a daw offers. But,
when it's for the money right now, I want my physical
controls.

Having said that, there are folks I"ve used on a mix only
once, because the process gets in the way of getting the
work done.

Regards,

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see
www.gatasound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:

"Predrag Trpkov" wrote in message

Increasing reliance on visual information certainly goes a long way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process. No happy
accidents,
spur of the moment things. People tend to make everything in the mix
tidy,
free of noises, free of human imperfections and perfectly
proportional...
It's boring to listen to, but progress has its price.

It is so good to know that involving visual information goes so far way
towards eliminating the right brain from the process that painting,
drawing
and sculpture are no longer considered to be creative arts.

They are not generally considered musical art, a few dynamic sculptures
aside.

So what? The claim was made that "visual information certainly goes a long
way towards eliminating the right brain from the process"

There's a reason blind people usually hear better than sighted folks.

I may be foolish but I think that there's a reason why I can mix and record
so much better when I can actually see the performers. I work in one venue
where I'm over 100 feet from the performers. If I hold up my arm and stick
up my thumb, it completely obscures one or two performers. I work in a
number of other venues where I mix and/or record from close enough to smell
the performer's perfume. Guess where I do my best work?

We've already had the same person who allowed that visual information is a
detriment to creativity admit that his real problem with what I do is that
he feels that one of the genres of music that I work with is totally and
completely non-creative at any level. I think this says it all. He obviously
can't relate to anything but his own narrow experience and bigotry. He
could easily feel the same about some of the genres that you work with.

I could be wrong but I think that audio production is actually a multi-media
activity, even when the end product may be entirely compsed of just sound.
And, unlike our narrow-minded correspondant, I think that all genres of
music and vocal expression are worthy of our most creative and professional
efforts. Southern gospel and Blue Grass aren't my mostest favorite cups of
tea, but I still tackle gigs involving them with the same creative effort
and enthusiasm as anything else. It's music!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2011-01-20 said:
Fred writes:
RIght, but the "look" of it isn't what I'm after. I'm after the
sound. Screw what it looks like!

The first time I heard a client saying after a take: "Now let's see
how it sounds", I knew this wasn't going in the right direction.
It didn't take long before I could no longer find comfort in the
fact that I was spending billable hours correcting what the clients
perceived as mistakes by watching the irregularities of the
waveform on the screen.

Yep, doesn't surprise me. That's why I work in the niche I
do, I don't get asked if I have autotune, or I can't just
paste that chorus in the others because the singer can't get
it right and we coaxed a good partial take out of him/her.
IF they need to do that with tracks I record for them I
already got paid and handed it over to them to take to
another facility.

You're lucky. I could never afford the real estate that would match the
level of equipment I had and was daydreaming about owning just a modest
remote truck for years, even before the mice and the associated madness took
over. It combines two things I love: recording live music and travelling.
Sadly, and this is a proven fact, in this small, pretzel-shaped country of
four and a half million people, one can't keep paying the bills running a
remote truck, let alone return the investment.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

No, that's only a part of it, pulled out of a context in order to distort
its meaning. This is not a decent thing to do, but you have never been able
to control that urge of yours, to make a point at all costs.

There's a reason blind people usually hear better than sighted folks.

I may be foolish but I think that there's a reason why I can mix and
record so much better when I can actually see the performers. I work in
one venue where I'm over 100 feet from the performers. If I hold up my arm
and stick up my thumb, it completely obscures one or two performers. I
work in a number of other venues where I mix and/or record from close
enough to smell the performer's perfume. Guess where I do my best work?

We're discussing mixing with the mouse and computer screen, as the
predominant user interface in a modern recording studio. Stop shifting the
subject.

Nobody has heard your musical achievements anyway. What you consider your
best work is meaningless.

You keep sabotaging interesting discussions on studio production with
clueless counterclaims and, when pushed to substantiate, your entire
"expertise" eventually reverts to your epic experience in recording weekly
church services. Please, please, pretty please, respect your limits and stop
polluting the newsgroup.

[...]

You've made a fool of yourself again and now you're trying to cover it up by
spewing loads of BS. Deja vu.

Predrag