Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sarah[_8_] Sarah[_8_] is offline

Default Help Needed: Speaker Pop Problem

Hey there,

I'm having a technical problem...hoping for some suggestions.

In this piece I'm working on there are several big cinematic booms.
They sound great when played from my computer through my Tascam US-122
then out my KRK Rokit 5 monitors and my Beyerdynamic headphones.
However, when I play the .wav file from my Creative Zen player through
any headphones (the beyerdynamics and my old audiotechnicas) or
speakers I hear an awful speaker pop on the right channel during the
first cinematic boom.

There are several deep booms in this particular track, but only one of
them results in this awful pop. I haven't noticed any similar
problems with any other tracks on my mp3 player. I've mixed my
session down several times to see if there was something wrong with
that particular mixdown, and the popping persists on my Creative Zen
player in that one spot in each mixdown.

I'm not sure why this is happening, how to fix it, or if it even needs
fixing, given that the .wav sounds fine when my Creative Zen is out of
the picture. (Wish I had another portable player so I could see if it
happens on another one...maybe it would be worth it to borrow one?)
However, if this means that whenever anyone puts my .wav on their mp3
player they're going to hear an awful pop there, then I need to get
rid of this problem somehow.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

-Sarah

P.S. Might this have anything to do with another technical problem
I've had recently - crackle/shuddering in the right channel ( relevant
post:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...4a84581c4fd3f1
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Sarah wrote:
I'm having a technical problem...hoping for some suggestions.

In this piece I'm working on there are several big cinematic booms.
They sound great when played from my computer through my Tascam US-122
then out my KRK Rokit 5 monitors and my Beyerdynamic headphones.
However, when I play the .wav file from my Creative Zen player through
any headphones (the beyerdynamics and my old audiotechnicas) or
speakers I hear an awful speaker pop on the right channel during the
first cinematic boom.

Is it clipping? How close to 0dBFS is the peak? Bring it down to
-3dBFS or lower.

Or is the pop occurring at the beginning of the sample, as if there
was DC offset?

What's the lowest frequency in the boom?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sarah wrote:

Hey there,

I'm having a technical problem...hoping for some suggestions.

What Scott said + below enhancements

In this piece I'm working on there are several big cinematic booms.
They sound great when played from my computer through my Tascam US-122
then out my KRK Rokit 5 monitors and my Beyerdynamic headphones.
However, when I play the .wav file from my Creative Zen player through
any headphones (the beyerdynamics and my old audiotechnicas) or
speakers I hear an awful speaker pop on the right channel during the
first cinematic boom.

1) Is this about playing the audio back on mp3 player after encoding as
mp3? - mp3 encode/decode WILL cause overshoot and thus increase peak levels
by up to 2 dB.

2) Have you high-pass filtered it at 40Hz? - doing that would be your first
recours

I'm not sure why this is happening, how to fix it, or if it even needs
fixing, given that the .wav sounds fine when my Creative Zen is out of
the picture.

All fine and well then, perhaps - bBut, assuming this is for distribution
someone else may want to play it on such a player so this is well worth
solving.

(Wish I had another portable player so I could see if it
happens on another one...maybe it would be worth it to borrow one?)
However, if this means that whenever anyone puts my .wav on their mp3
player they're going to hear an awful pop there, then I need to get
rid of this problem somehow.

Encode as mp3, open mp3 file in audio editor, LOOK at the screen, IF the
encode-decode of that particular audio causes it to appear clipped THEN
normalize with a suitable "lead", ie. to some amount below zero. With one of
my mixes on http://raw-tracks.com I had to normalize to -2dB to prevent the
mp3 encorde-decode clipping it.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

-Sarah

P.S. Might this have anything to do with another technical problem
I've had recently - crackle/shuddering in the right channel ( relevant
post:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...581c4fd3f1Hmmm.... was there extreme LF ïnvolved? Kind regards Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:08:38 -0800 (PST), Sarah
wrote:

[...]

Could you perhaps extract a few seconds of the wav file containing the
problem and post it somewhere we could download and examine? That
would be a huge help in diagnosis.