QuiGon12

Default Satellite Radio Question

How far ranging is the reception for satellite radio..? Does it work out at
sea...? Also, does it work in airplanes...?

Eric K. Weber

XM works most of the way across the Atlantic if you make the crossing on a
southern route, I usually loose coverage about 500 miles or so before
reaching Bishops Rock... when at the extreme range pointing the antenna has
an effect and any rolling of the ship will cause it to drop out, on the
great circle route from the USA it will drop out sooner. I believe they
only pay the music licensee fees for domestic use so cannot admit it works
outside the country.

Rgds:
Eric

"QuiGon12" wrote in message
How far ranging is the reception for satellite radio..? Does it work out

at
sea...? Also, does it work in airplanes...?

Codifus

"QuiGon12" wrote in message

How far ranging is the reception for satellite radio..? Does it work out

at

sea...? Also, does it work in airplanes...?

Interestingly enough, I read somewhere that with XM radio, you are more
than likely receiving your "satellite" signal from a ground based
"helper" transmitter. Sirius is more of a true satellite radio system in
that it's satelletes need much less help from land based "helper"
transmitters. XM has on the order of a 1000 land based helper
transmitters, but Sirius has on the order of hundreds and maybe less.

Both of the systems, though, concentrate their coverage onto the north
american continent. So on the other side of the planet you'd be
completely SOL. If anything, I would lean towards Siruis to provide any
sort of coverage out at sea, be it the pacific or atlantic

CD