Bob Jones

Default PC audio question: Crystal WDM or SB64?

I'm using an IBM PC300PL desktop that has built-in Crystal WDM Audio.

My question: Is the Crystal audio as good as the SoundBlaster 64 card
I had in my previous computer? If I want to use the SB64 in this PC,
is there any way to bypass the existing Crystal Audio?
Arny Krueger

"Bob Jones" wrote in message
om
I'm using an IBM PC300PL desktop that has built-in Crystal WDM Audio.

My question: Is the Crystal audio as good as the SoundBlaster 64 card
I had in my previous computer?

For MIDI or for record/playback?

The Crystal Audio probably does a better job than a SB64 for simultaneous
record/playback type work.

If I want to use the SB64 in this PC,
is there any way to bypass the existing Crystal Audio?

Yes. Just set the SB64 as the preferred device using the Control Panel
multimedia icon.

Bob Jones

Rob Reedijk wrote in message ...
I have the same computer with a high-quality sound card installed in a
PCI slot (quite a bit better than a Soundblaster).

Rob, I've encountered a problem with the 300PL. My SoundBlaster card
needs a 32-bit slot, and the CPU in this machine is encased in some
sort of gigantic heat sink that appears to be secured with motherboard
spacers.

Due to the odd design of the 300PL, The heat sink thing blocks the
32-bit slot, and I can't remove the sink because of the spacers. I
think I'm out of luck there unless you have any other ideas.

Bob
Rob Reedijk

I don't know much about PCs...but what I do know about the 300PL is
that it was some sort of more affordable but less modifyable PC.

Ferinstance, the motherboard is a sort of one piece thing with the audio,
networking ports and everything built right into it.

I also know what you mean about the CPU. I couldn't remove mine either.
I have also heard you can't really put in a faster CPU. I suppose you
can clock it faster if you feel lucky...

The manual is downloadable, by the way. I never tried really hard to
get the CPU out. It might be in the manual.

My machine is working very well running win98 with Wavelab 4.0, the
Lexicon CoreII, plextor burner and a a second large harddrive. It
is extremely stable. I only use it for "mastering" projects and
burning loads and loads of CDs. I don't think I will fool around
with it for fear of something bad happening.

Rob R.

Bob Jones wrote:
Rob Reedijk wrote in message ...
I have the same computer with a high-quality sound card installed in a
PCI slot (quite a bit better than a Soundblaster).

Rob, I've encountered a problem with the 300PL. My SoundBlaster card
needs a 32-bit slot, and the CPU in this machine is encased in some
sort of gigantic heat sink that appears to be secured with motherboard
spacers.

Due to the odd design of the 300PL, The heat sink thing blocks the
32-bit slot, and I can't remove the sink because of the spacers. I
think I'm out of luck there unless you have any other ideas.

Arny Krueger

"Bob Jones" wrote in message
om
I'm using an IBM PC300PL desktop that has built-in Crystal WDM Audio.

My question: Is the Crystal audio as good as the SoundBlaster 64 card
I had in my previous computer? If I want to use the SB64 in this PC,
is there any way to bypass the existing Crystal Audio?

One other question. Does this computer even have an ISA slot to plug the
SB64 into?

Bob Jones

One other question. Does this computer even have an ISA slot to plug the
SB64 into?

Arny, at this point I may be getting confused about the different
types of slots. Is the SB64 actually an ISA card, or 32-bit -- or are
they they same thing?

The 300 PL has several slots that would fit the SB card, if the SB
card had a lower clearance or the CPU were not encased in an oversized
heat sink!

I'm trying to make another decision regarding the video. The IBM, as
Rob said, has a lot of stuff built in, like 4-meg S3 video. I have a
4-meg Trident Maxi Gamer Phoenix PCI card as well, and wonder if
either would be expected to provide a better display.

So far, the IBM seems to be a pretty decent machine, although it has a
weird internal design. It has a P3-550 CPU, the memory looks to be
easily upgradeable, and I've managed to install the hard drive and
CDRW from my old PC into this one.

Bob
Arny Krueger

"Bob Jones" wrote in message
One other question. Does this computer even have an ISA slot to plug
the SB64 into?

Arny, at this point I may be getting confused about the different
types of slots. Is the SB64 actually an ISA card, or 32-bit -- or are
they they same thing?

A SB64 is an ISA, 16-bit card.

The 300 PL has several slots that would fit the SB card, if the SB
card had a lower clearance or the CPU were not encased in an oversized
heat sink!

OK.

I'm trying to make another decision regarding the video. The IBM, as
Rob said, has a lot of stuff built in, like 4-meg S3 video. I have a
4-meg Trident Maxi Gamer Phoenix PCI card as well, and wonder if
either would be expected to provide a better display.

Not much difference between those two.

So far, the IBM seems to be a pretty decent machine, although it has a
weird internal design. It has a P3-550 CPU, the memory looks to be
easily upgradeable, and I've managed to install the hard drive and
CDRW from my old PC into this one.

I'm typing this on a 666 MHz P2, so I agree with the idea that machines with
500-700 mHz processors are still usable. I still do some audio editing on
it. OTOH, the other machine on this KVM switch is a 2000 MHz box that is
exclusively for audio.

Rob Reedijk

Bob Jones wrote:

So far, the IBM seems to be a pretty decent machine, although it has a
weird internal design. It has a P3-550 CPU, the memory looks to be
easily upgradeable, and I've managed to install the hard drive and
CDRW from my old PC into this one.

Hold the phone...you have a P3-550 CPU in there? I was told that for
whatever reason, this machine was not P3 upgradeable. Mine has the
"stock" Intel Pentium II-300 CPU in there. Does anyone know about this?
Arny? I really don't know about PCs. I thought that the chip was
physically unable to be fit in there if it was a P3. The PC is an
IBM 300PL in case anyone is interested.

Rob R.
Arny Krueger

Bob Jones wrote:

So far, the IBM seems to be a pretty decent machine, although it has
a weird internal design. It has a P3-550 CPU, the memory looks to be
easily upgradeable, and I've managed to install the hard drive and
CDRW from my old PC into this one.

Hold the phone...you have a P3-550 CPU in there?

No, a p3-550.

I was told that for
whatever reason, this machine was not P3 upgradeable.

Hmmm. Searching google on IBM PL300 I find references for this model up to
700 MHz.

Mine has the
"stock" Intel Pentium II-300 CPU in there. Does anyone know about
this? Arny? I really don't know about PCs. I thought that the chip
was physically unable to be fit in there if it was a P3.

AFAIK there were definately motherboards that could run P2 & P3 processors
over the range of 233 to 700 MHz. RAM chip (speed) upgrades may also be
required in addition to CPU upgrades.

The PC is an IBM 300PL in case anyone is interested.

Arny Krueger

Bob Jones wrote:
So far, the IBM seems to be a pretty decent machine, although it
has a weird internal design. It has a P3-550 CPU, the memory looks
to be easily upgradeable, and I've managed to install the hard
drive and CDRW from my old PC into this one.

Hold the phone...you have a P3-550 CPU in there?

No, a p3-550.

Huh?

Somehow I read P3-350 which of course makes no sense at all.

Bob Jones

Default CPU inside the 300PL

Rob Reedijk wrote in message ...
Hold the phone...you have a P3-550 CPU in there?

Rob, the machine has one of those "Intel Inside: Pentium III" labels
on the box and system information shows a Pentium III of unspecified
MHZ. I believe I read somewhere on or inside the unit that it's a 550,
but since the CPU is encased in that absurd, gigantic, oversized and
mysterious box, I can't verify.

Bob
Roger W. Norman

Well, I can say that a PII is not pin compatible with a PIII, so a CPU
changeover is not possible.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Bob Jones wrote:

So far, the IBM seems to be a pretty decent machine, although it has a
weird internal design. It has a P3-550 CPU, the memory looks to be
easily upgradeable, and I've managed to install the hard drive and
CDRW from my old PC into this one.

Hold the phone...you have a P3-550 CPU in there? I was told that for
whatever reason, this machine was not P3 upgradeable. Mine has the
"stock" Intel Pentium II-300 CPU in there. Does anyone know about this?
Arny? I really don't know about PCs. I thought that the chip was
physically unable to be fit in there if it was a P3. The PC is an
IBM 300PL in case anyone is interested.

Rob R.

Roger W. Norman

Ooops, my son just told me I'm wrong. Not that a PII and PIII are pin
compatible, but there obviously are some boards, particularly with slot 1
that can accept either a PII or PIII. My bad. ****, isn't it bad enough
that you have to maintain knowledge on all the new stuff, much less who does
what with older stuff?

--

Bob Jones wrote:

So far, the IBM seems to be a pretty decent machine, although it has a
weird internal design. It has a P3-550 CPU, the memory looks to be
easily upgradeable, and I've managed to install the hard drive and
CDRW from my old PC into this one.

Hold the phone...you have a P3-550 CPU in there? I was told that for
whatever reason, this machine was not P3 upgradeable. Mine has the
"stock" Intel Pentium II-300 CPU in there. Does anyone know about this?
Arny? I really don't know about PCs. I thought that the chip was
physically unable to be fit in there if it was a P3. The PC is an
IBM 300PL in case anyone is interested.

Rob R.

Arny Krueger

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message

Ooops, my son just told me I'm wrong. Not that a PII and PIII are pin
compatible, but there obviously are some boards, particularly with
slot 1 that can accept either a PII or PIII.

It's a tad more complex than that.

AFAIK all P2 chips were packaged in a Slot-1 package (think about the
familiar black plastic box with edge connector on the bottom), which has a
consistent pinout. There were some bare unpackaged or partially-packaged
versions that still had the same edge connector.

Some P3s were packaged in Slot-1 packages, and some were packaged in PGA-370
packages (more like the classic pin-socketed Pentium-1) I think some P3
CPUs were even sold packaged either way.

No matter, there were PGA-370 to slot-1 converters...

Sorry you mentioned it, eh?

;-)

Rob Reedijk

So can anyone tell me, will the following work as an upgrade to my IBM
300PL (Pentium II 300 MHz):

p3 700 cpu, socket 370

Rob R.

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message

Ooops, my son just told me I'm wrong. Not that a PII and PIII are pin
compatible, but there obviously are some boards, particularly with
slot 1 that can accept either a PII or PIII.

It's a tad more complex than that.

AFAIK all P2 chips were packaged in a Slot-1 package (think about the
familiar black plastic box with edge connector on the bottom), which has a
consistent pinout. There were some bare unpackaged or partially-packaged
versions that still had the same edge connector.

Some P3s were packaged in Slot-1 packages, and some were packaged in PGA-370
packages (more like the classic pin-socketed Pentium-1) I think some P3
CPUs were even sold packaged either way.

No matter, there were PGA-370 to slot-1 converters...

Sorry you mentioned it, eh?

;-)

Arny Krueger

"Rob Reedijk" wrote in message

So can anyone tell me, will the following work as an upgrade to my IBM
300PL (Pentium II 300 MHz):

p3 700 cpu, socket 370

You're going to need a Slot-1 to PGA socket 370 adapter if your current CPU
is in a Slot-1 plastic box.

Here's an example:

http://www.partshelf.com/soc370ppgaft.html

The bad news is that the statement "Works with most Slot 1 motherboards" is
IME pretty accurate. Focus on that word "most".

Roger W. Norman

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message

Sorry you mentioned it, eh?

Immediately after I hit send! g Like I said, do we have to remember all
the new stuff AND all the old stuff now?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Purchase your copy of the Fifth of RAP CD set at www.recaudiopro.net.
See how far $20 really goes.

Roger W. Norman

Rhondomagnetic cylinders. Priceless. But oops, no, the are useless. ****,
when will I ever be able to keep up.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Purchase your copy of the Fifth of RAP CD set at www.recaudiopro.net.
See how far $20 really goes.

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

Man, it's SO LIBERATING to finally decide to FORGET some of the old
stuff. Not all of it, just the stuff that's ready to be forgotten.
Like digital audio tape, Nubus powermacs, OS7, Windows95-98, ISA cards,
dial-up modems, floppy disks, full-height hard drives, etc. and so-on.
I ditched all of those things in the last couple months. I'm really
looking forward to saying goodbye forever to CRTs, desktop computers,
fan noise, ZIP drives, PCI slots, and eventually, magnetic data
storage.

Sheesh, are you still using superconducting crystals for data storage?
Nobody uses those any more... that's last month's technology. You'll have
to get your media converted to rhodomagnetic cylinders at our new inflated
price. But if you act now, you get this free set of... wait, I've just

been
handed this message. Rhodomagnetic cylinders are now obsolete. The new
data storage technology is bleem. If you have rhodomagnetic cylinders you
will have to get them converted over to bleem now.

Josh Snider

I still have a soft spot in my heart for System 7 (It wasn't even being
called OS at that point) I also have a 1200Baud and 14.4kBaud modem
sitting aorudn here somewhere. Scary stuff. Anyone want an old 1200BPS
Hayes? It's not even a faxmodem.