themerovingian

Default I need to know which of these two brands has been proven the best in sound quality?

I am looking into a new CD reciever/in-dash player, for my 1984 BMW 528e
four door sedan. I've come down to the elimination of all the models
to two different brandes. Pioneer and Sony. Over the years in my
residence we have obtained many of Sony's products as far as surround
sound stero systems and that type thing. I've never had one of their
car steros though. I know that they are very reputable. But, Pioneer
was extremely reputable years ago; and they still to my knowledge make
very good car audio equipment.

All the radios I'm interested in are XM(tm) equipped. I've looked
at several models in Pioneers; DEH-P3600, DEH-P4600MP, and the
DEH-P2600. All of these are in my price range the other models exceed
$180. In the Sonys I've looked at the: CDX-F5000, CDX-F7700, and the
CDX-F5700. Once again all those are in about the same price range under
$180 dollars.

But, I don't know which one is best for factory speakers. I don't
intend to put new speakers in my car becuase mine work fine and I don't
want to really spend a bunch of money to go "big." BMW sound systems
were pretty good in that day anyway...they were a top of the line car
back then, and still are today. I know the Sony has a higher dB rate
of about 120 compared to Pioneer's 94dB. I was told that the higher
the better in clarity and quality. But the Sony is more powerful than
the Pioneers are aswell. They have 52 x 4 channels and Pioneer only
has 50. I know they have their reputations, but which one is factually
and actually the best?

--
themerovingian
themerovingian's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=31172

MZ

I am looking into a new CD reciever/in-dash player, for my 1984 BMW 528e
four door sedan. I've come down to the elimination of all the models
to two different brandes. Pioneer and Sony. Over the years in my
residence we have obtained many of Sony's products as far as surround
sound stero systems and that type thing. I've never had one of their
car steros though. I know that they are very reputable.

What kind of reputation are you referring to?

[...]

All the specs that you just listed are, quite frankly, lies. Those head
units simply won't deliver 200 watts each (50x4). They've been benched at
around 15 watts per channel. The S/N ratio is a meaningless spec as well.
Not only is it probably incorrect, but it's also overkill. You can't hear
90dB, and you can't hear anything higher than that. Actual real world noise
measurements come from adequate grounding and a good electrical system in
your car. Some head units are easier to rid of noise than others, but you
won't find it in the spec sheet.

Anyway, I'd choose the one that has better features and better looks.

rossshan

pioneer is much better quality bro

--
rossshan
rossshan's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=32398

Dark1

"themerovingian" wrote in
message news:1098367116.1e3XeJST5w9CnFkcH7ppEw@teranews...

[...]

Quite frankly, by reputation for reliability alone, I'd stick with pioneer..
There have been many debates about it, but in recent years Sony's rep in car
audio has been anything but the best.. (though I will state they may well
have gotten it together since I stopped paying attention to them)

the differences you state in S/N and output power are absolutely
indistinguishable by anything but test equipment, and the power,well neither
will ever actually put out 50W/ch except maybe in it's last moment of life
as you start smelling it cook..

haha

themerovingian wrote:
I am looking into a new CD reciever/in-dash player, for my 1984 BMW

528e
four door sedan. I've come down to the elimination of all the models
to two different brandes. Pioneer and Sony. Over the years in my
residence we have obtained many of Sony's products as far as surround
sound stero systems and that type thing. I've never had one of their
car steros though. I know that they are very reputable.

Not for car audio they're not, in fact the opposite is true. I wouldn't
hesitate to choose the Pioneer. Personally I'd upgrade the speakers as
well though. You can get some good deals at the moment in the post
Christmas sales.

jeffc

"haha" wrote in message
ups.com...
themerovingian wrote:
I am looking into a new CD reciever/in-dash player, for my 1984 BMW

528e
four door sedan. I've come down to the elimination of all the models
to two different brandes. Pioneer and Sony. Over the years in my
residence we have obtained many of Sony's products as far as surround
sound stero systems and that type thing. I've never had one of their
car steros though. I know that they are very reputable.

Not for car audio they're not, in fact the opposite is true.

I've never had any problem with the Sony products I've used.

Sean Scott

I have never used any of their products but I work at WalMart and we get the
Sony Xplod speakers returned 90% of the time.

"jeffc" wrote in message
om...

"haha" wrote in message
ups.com...
themerovingian wrote:
I am looking into a new CD reciever/in-dash player, for my 1984 BMW

528e
four door sedan. I've come down to the elimination of all the models
to two different brandes. Pioneer and Sony. Over the years in my
residence we have obtained many of Sony's products as far as surround
sound stero systems and that type thing. I've never had one of their
car steros though. I know that they are very reputable.

Not for car audio they're not, in fact the opposite is true.

I've never had any problem with the Sony products I've used.

The Art of Bose Bashing and Amar's Supposed Descent into Mediocrity Wylie Williams General 3 September 27th 04 03:16 AM
Good sound quality amp under 300.00 any suggestions? wangch Car Audio 6 April 17th 04 08:14 AM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
mixer versus hifi preamp - comaparable sound quality? Laurence Payne Pro Audio 12 September 5th 03 06:00 PM