Posted to rec.audio.pro, sci.electronics.equipment, rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew, sci.electronics.design
[email protected] mad.scientist.jr@gmail.com is offline

Default inexpensive analog audio pitch (frequency?) meter or schematic /plans for one?

I am looking for an inexpensive (hopefully $20 or less) analog meter

one with a moving needle like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:VU_Meter.jpg

that I can plug my computer's sound card into (actually two meters,
one for the right speaker, one for the left), that will read the pitch
of the audio being played.

I know that a given sound has a fundamental tone and overtones, and it
would have to detect the fundemantal tone (like a guitar tuner). The
audio source would be a MIDI program, so if necessary I could use
samples of a very simple waveform (ie Sine, square, etc) if that would
eliminate overtones and make pitch detection more accurate.

Does anyone know if such a meter exists or where to find plans to
build one?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

wrote in message
I am looking for an inexpensive (hopefully $20 or less) analog meter

one with a moving needle like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:VU_Meter.jpg

that I can plug my computer's sound card into (actually two meters,
one for the right speaker, one for the left), that will read the pitch
of the audio being played.

I know that a given sound has a fundamental tone and overtones, and it
would have to detect the fundemantal tone (like a guitar tuner). The
audio source would be a MIDI program, so if necessary I could use
samples of a very simple waveform (ie Sine, square, etc) if that would
eliminate overtones and make pitch detection more accurate.

Does anyone know if such a meter exists or where to find plans to
build one?

Thanks.

I don't know of an analogue meter that will do what you want, and certainly
not for $20 as just the meters will cost double that each. However, there
are lots of free software packages that include a FFT analyser from which
you can measure the frequency of the fundamental and all the overtones.

Look at http://audio.rightmark.org

You can also get this information from the analyser built into CoolEdit (now
Adobe Audition) and Audacity which has the benefit of being a multi-track
recorder/editor plus analyser. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

S.

http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro, sci.electronics.equipment, rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew, sci.electronics.design
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

On Dec 31 2007, 10:43*am, wrote:
I am looking for an inexpensive (hopefully $20 or less) analog meter

... that will read the pitch
of the audio being played.

Phase-lock loops like 74HC4046 can lock onto an audio
frequency, and the follower in it has an output voltage
proportional to frequency. That's about $0.60 from your budget;
a good analog moving-needle meter will suck up the rest of it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

You can buy digital (yes, I know you said you wanted analog) autotuners --
such as those from Sabine -- for around $30.

Posted to rec.audio.pro, sci.electronics.equipment, rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew, sci.electronics.design
[email protected] mad.scientist.jr@gmail.com is offline

Thanks for your reply. I am not skilled in electronics - do you know
of any schematics I could follow to build one of these?

On Jan 1, 11:39 pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Dec 31 2007, 10:43 am, wrote:

I am looking for an inexpensive (hopefully $20 or less) analog meter

... that will read the pitch
of the audio being played.

Phase-lock loops like 74HC4046 can lock onto an audio
frequency, and the follower in it has an output voltage
proportional to frequency. That's about $0.60 from your budget;
a good analog moving-needle meter will suck up the rest of it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

wrote in message

I am not skilled in electronics -- do you know of
any schematics I could follow to build one of these?

If you're not skilled in electronics, you're wasting your time. Buy a
commercial unit and be done with it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
DaveM DaveM is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message

I am not skilled in electronics -- do you know of
any schematics I could follow to build one of these?

If you're not skilled in electronics, you're wasting your time. Buy a
commercial unit and be done with it.

Go to a music store (one that sells musical instruments) and ask for a tuning
meter. Korg is a brand many stores carry.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

wrote ...
Thanks for your reply. I am not skilled in electronics - do you know
of any schematics I could follow to build one of these?

Maybe. What do you want to do with it?
Can't answer it as a generic question. It
seems absurd to even think about a "meter"
for frequency when listening to most any
kind of normal audio.

(posted from: rec.audio.tech)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

In fairness to the original poster... Once upon a time you could buy Heath
or Knight or EICO or other electronics kits, to save money, learn about
electronics, or just have fun. Most currently available kits don't do much
useful and are overpriced.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

wrote in message

I am not skilled in electronics -- do you know of
any schematics I could follow to build one of these?

If you're not skilled in electronics, you're wasting your time. Buy a
commercial unit and be done with it.

Go to a music store (one that sells musical instruments) and ask for a tuning
meter. Korg is a brand many stores carry.

Lots (mostly digital with faux analog displays) to pick from for
between $10 and $20. I just bought this one at a local music store for
$15 or so, batteries included.

http://www.amazon.com/KORG-GA30-Guit...9494627&sr=8-8

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote
in message ...

Lots (mostly digital with faux analog displays)...

Good grief. One of those rare human beings who actually understands the
difference between analog and digital. Congratulations!

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Wim Ton Wim Ton is offline

wrote:
I am looking for an inexpensive (hopefully $20 or less) analog meter

one with a moving needle like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:VU_Meter.jpg

that I can plug my computer's sound card into (actually two meters,
one for the right speaker, one for the left), that will read the pitch
of the audio being played.

I know that a given sound has a fundamental tone and overtones, and it
would have to detect the fundemantal tone (like a guitar tuner). The
audio source would be a MIDI program, so if necessary I could use
samples of a very simple waveform (ie Sine, square, etc) if that would
eliminate overtones and make pitch detection more accurate.

Does anyone know if such a meter exists or where to find plans to
build one?

Thanks.

If you have a computer anyway, how about using the sound input and run
one of the numerous spectrum analyser programs on it?

Wim
Posted to rec.audio.pro, sci.electronics.equipment, rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew, sci.electronics.design
MooseFET MooseFET is offline

On Jan 5, 5:03 am, "William Sommerwerck"
I know that a given sound has a fundamental tone and overtones,
and it would have to detect the fundemantal tone (like a guitar tuner).

There's no need to "detect" the fundamental. The device would simply look
for zero crossings, which are the same regardless of the presence or absence
of harmonics.

That need not be true. If you have a large high harmonic, you can
have two zero crossings where one is expected. Only a little
cleverness is needed to fix the problem.

In fact, I'm reasonably (but not completely) sure a PLL would work with a
non-sine signal.

They do but you need to make sure that they sweep up to the frequency
they are going to lock onto. Most PLL designs will happily lock onto
a harmonic.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:31:10 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

Lots (mostly digital with faux analog displays)...

Good grief. One of those rare human beings who actually understands the
difference between analog and digital. Congratulations!

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

;-)
Rich

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
jack jack is offline

National Semi still makes a "frequency to voltage" converter chip, so does
Analog.

But here's a link to using a PLL -- from National Semi -- Application Note
210
http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-210.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

"jack" wrote in message

National Semi still makes a "frequency to voltage" converter chip,
so does Analog.

But here's a link to using a PLL -- from National Semi --
Application Note 210
http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-210.pdf

This is fine, but what about the accuracy and resolution of the analog meter
used to read the output?

It still isn't clear why the OP is insisting on an analog display.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

"jack" wrote ...
National Semi still makes a "frequency to voltage" converter
chip, so does Analog.

But here's a link to using a PLL -- from National Semi --
Application Note 210
http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-210.pdf

Note that publication is 29 years old and I don't think any
of the mentioned ICs are still in production any more.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
msg msg is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

"jack" wrote ...

National Semi still makes a "frequency to voltage" converter chip, so
does Analog.

But here's a link to using a PLL -- from National Semi -- Application
Note 210
http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-210.pdf

Note that publication is 29 years old and I don't think any
of the mentioned ICs are still in production any more.

Since when has that stopped real homebrewers? Ahh, I see a slew of cross-
posted groups (reading from r.r.a.h)

Michael
Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

"msg" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"jack" wrote ...

National Semi still makes a "frequency to voltage" converter chip,
so does Analog.

But here's a link to using a PLL -- from National Semi --
Application Note 210
http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-210.pdf

Note that publication is 29 years old and I don't think any
of the mentioned ICs are still in production any more.

Since when has that stopped real homebrewers? Ahh, I see a slew of
cross-
posted groups (reading from r.r.a.h)

Don't get me wrong. I am working on a couple of projects
that could use circuits like that, but they are simply not
produciton-worthy anymore. :-(

Posted to rec.audio.pro, sci.electronics.equipment, rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew, sci.electronics.design
[email protected] mad.scientist.jr@gmail.com is offline

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I just want to do analog metering
with moving needle meters. I am aware that to meter volume/frequency
digitally, I can buy a mixer or tuner, or via computer with the
appropriate software. The meters in question are from an old Radio
Shack mixer (I'll have to find the model #, left it at home). No
matter what the exact specs of the meters however, the basics of the
circuit for metering volume or pitch/frequency should be the same.
Thanks again.