Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kompu Kid Kompu Kid is offline

Default HP Mini netbook sound quality?

Hello All:

I am not expecting high end audio quality from a device like this, but
has anybody checked it out and quantified the audio quality on these
computers?

Thanks!

Deguza
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"Kompu Kid" wrote in message
Hello All:

I am not expecting high end audio quality from a device like this, but
has anybody checked it out and quantified the audio quality on these
computers?

Thanks!

Deguza

Download RMAA from RightMark. http://audio.rightmark.org/index_new.shtml

It's a very good free audio analyser and you can check the quality of the
sound for yourself. It's also very useful if you decide to get an external
sound adapter, as the cheaper ones can be pretty awful as they get near to
0dBFS.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kompu Kid Kompu Kid is offline

On Mar 15, 3:07*am, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:
"Kompu Kid" wrote in message

Hello All:

I am not expecting high end audio quality from a device like this, but
has anybody checked it out and quantified the audio quality on these
computers?

Thanks!

Deguza

Download RMAA *from RightMark. *http://audio.rightmark.org/index_new.shtml

It's a very good free audio analyser and you can check the quality of the
sound *for yourself. It's also very useful if you decide to get an external
sound adapter, as the cheaper ones can be pretty awful as they get near to
0dBFS.

S.

--http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Thank you for the suggestion, but I do not own one of these computers
yet.

I was hoping that somebody who owns one can comment.

Deguza
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:
"Kompu Kid" wrote in message

[...]

I have an HP Compaq 6720s laptop, and the audio is grim. I also have an Acer
Satellite laptop, and the audio is grim. I previously had a Dell laptop and
the audio was grim. Problems on all of these is high noise, in the form of
buzzes and whistles depending on what the PC is doing at the time, and
fairly high distortion, around 1-2%. Hi-Fi they're not! Frequency response
has never been a problem on any of them though.

I don't think you'll get Hi-Fi audio quality out of a laptop's internal
sound card, so my advice would be to buy whatever laptop suits from a PC
point of view, then an external USB sound adapter. Look at Edirol for
starters.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Kompu Kid" wrote from Goooooooogle goups...
Thank you for the suggestion, but I do not own one of these
computers yet.

I was hoping that somebody who owns one can comment.

Your question is rather over-broad. Perhaps if you explained why
you ask or what your expectations are, people might be able to
provide the kind of response you are seeking.

You can assume that all built-in sound circuits will have problems
with digital noise, and portable computers are even worse because
of the minimal spacing of everything.

Now in some applications that would be no problem at all. If you
are playing "interval music" in a noisy venue, nobody (including you)
would notice the digital hash. But if you are trying to record and
playback the sounds of gnats mating rituals, it would be likely
completely unsuitable.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
Now in some applications that would be no problem at all. If you
are playing "interval music" in a noisy venue, nobody (including you)
would notice the digital hash. But if you are trying to record and
playback the sounds of gnats mating rituals, it would be likely
completely unsuitable.

I should think both those applications would not be a problem. S/N ratio of
the venue in the first instance and S/N ratio of the gnats Vs background
noise in the second make the sound card contribution less important.
Critical listening to high quality music, or recording of same is another
matter though. And USB or firewire adapters of far better quality than
laptop soundcards, start at reasonable prices these days. I consider the
inbuilt sound is for playing windows "alert sounds", nothing more.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mr.T" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
Now in some applications that would be no problem at all. If you
are playing "interval music" in a noisy venue, nobody (including you)
would notice the digital hash. But if you are trying to record and
playback the sounds of gnats mating rituals, it would be likely
completely unsuitable.

I should think both those applications would not be a problem.

Then your expectations of built-in analog audio interfaces in computers
will leave you seriously disappointed. Good luck with that.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
I should think both those applications would not be a problem.

Then your expectations of built-in analog audio interfaces in computers
will leave you seriously disappointed. Good luck with that.

Not at all, you really had to snip this part just to make a stupid comment?

"And USB or firewire adapters of far better quality than
laptop soundcards, start at reasonable prices these days. I consider the
inbuilt sound is for playing windows "alert sounds", nothing more."

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mr.T" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
I should think both those applications would not be a problem.

Then your expectations of built-in analog audio interfaces in computers
will leave you seriously disappointed. Good luck with that.

Not at all, you really had to snip this part just to make a stupid
comment?

"And USB or firewire adapters of far better quality than
laptop soundcards, start at reasonable prices these days. I consider the
inbuilt sound is for playing windows "alert sounds", nothing more."

Then it is not clear why you asked the question in the first place.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Mr.T" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
Then your expectations of built-in analog audio interfaces in computers
will leave you seriously disappointed. Good luck with that.

Not at all, you really had to snip this part just to make a stupid
comment?

"And USB or firewire adapters of far better quality than
laptop soundcards, start at reasonable prices these days. I consider the
inbuilt sound is for playing windows "alert sounds", nothing more."

Then it is not clear why you asked the question in the first place.

I'm sorry, what question do you think I asked?
Maybe you should address your reply to the OP instead?

MrT.

Hollywood NetBook™ Thought the $300 million compendium.... Mutual Assets Pro Audio 0 August 18th 08 09:18 AM
Sound quality jay Pro Audio 3 July 14th 06 12:41 AM
mp3 sound quality. Peter Car Audio 66 December 16th 03 04:16 AM
Mini-jacks vs 1/4 mic jacks on M-Audio Revolution card - lose quality? Pro Audio 25 October 11th 03 05:36 AM
sound quality of Poweramper X-Sound amps Sam Carleton Car Audio 0 July 8th 03 04:11 AM