Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Ray Thomas[_2_] Ray Thomas[_2_] is offline

Default Opinions on Akai cassette tape decks? GX-A5X?

Sad to say I'd be afraid to send it. Seems others have had problems with
him over the past few years ...

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

Give www.naks.com a look for parts such as lights, globes, belts etc
....also eBay is a good source of same

Ray

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Paul Stamler[_2_] Paul Stamler[_2_] is offline

"Les Cargill" wrote in message
g.com...
Paul Stamler wrote:
"Les Cargill" wrote in message
g.com...
Anything that is true of television is also true of radio. Indeed,
the origins of tape recording itself are kind of embarrassing -
before it was discovered by the Allies in WWII....

What's embarrassing about Valdemar Poulsen? The Blattnerphone-- now that
was embarrassing.

The uses of the Magnetophon were... interesting. Ole Adolph kept it secret
as a security measure - he did not want people to know he hadn't
given a speech live....

Well, sure. But that was half a century after the origins of tape
recording...and only thirty years before a president of the United States
got himself into terrible trouble with a tape recorder. (Spot the quote.)
Now that was *really* embarrassing.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

Paul Stamler wrote:
"Les Cargill" wrote in message
g.com...
Anything that is true of television is also true of radio. Indeed,
the origins of tape recording itself are kind of embarrassing -
before it was discovered by the Allies in WWII....
What's embarrassing about Valdemar Poulsen? The Blattnerphone-- now that
was embarrassing.

The uses of the Magnetophon were... interesting. Ole Adolph kept it secret
as a security measure - he did not want people to know he hadn't
given a speech live....

Well, sure. But that was half a century after the origins of tape
recording...

Dunno about wire, but *tape* was only usable after the Magnetophon. A/C
bias, all that.... by usable, I mean "an improvement over acetates."

and only thirty years before a president of the United States
got himself into terrible trouble with a tape recorder. (Spot the quote.)
Now that was *really* embarrassing.

That was a Constitutional crisis. Embarrassing? Sort of.

Peace,
Paul

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Paul Stamler wrote:
"Les Cargill" wrote in message
g.com...
Anything that is true of television is also true of radio. Indeed,
the origins of tape recording itself are kind of embarrassing -
before it was discovered by the Allies in WWII....
What's embarrassing about Valdemar Poulsen? The Blattnerphone-- now
that was embarrassing.

The uses of the Magnetophon were... interesting. Ole Adolph kept it
secret as a security measure - he did not want people to know he hadn't
given a speech live....

Well, sure. But that was half a century after the origins of tape
recording...

Dunno about wire, but *tape* was only usable after the Magnetophon. A/C
bias, all that.... by usable, I mean "an improvement over acetates."

Oh, now you want usable! :-)}}}}

Well, the BBC were using the Blattnerphone from 1932-1936. So I guess it was
usable, even if the reels of steel tape weighed 77 lbs each.

As for AC bias, it was invented three times (twice in the US, once in Japan)
before the Germans re-invented it.

Just picking nits.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Paul Stamler wrote:
[...]

Holy cow. I take it that there was exactly one of these?

http://www.btinternet.com/~roger.bec...s/blattner.htm

As for AC bias, it was invented three times (twice in the US, once in Japan)
before the Germans re-invented it.

Just picking nits.

*Kewl*. Neat nits.

Peace,
Paul

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Paul Stamler[_2_] Paul Stamler[_2_] is offline

"Les Cargill" wrote in message
g.com...
Well, the BBC were using the Blattnerphone from 1932-1936. So I guess it
was usable, even if the reels of steel tape weighed 77 lbs each.

Holy cow. I take it that there was exactly one of these?

http://www.btinternet.com/~roger.bec...s/blattner.htm

Yep. Looks like a machine to approach with respect.

As for AC bias, it was invented three times (twice in the US, once in
Japan) before the Germans re-invented it.

Just picking nits.

*Kewl*. Neat nits.

Stuff I picked up while researching a history-of-recording course.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
mark steven brooks mark steven brooks is offline

Funny, I have 2 of those decks, haven't used them in years. Their
speeds are no longer accurate.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
mark steven brooks wrote:
Funny, I have 2 of those decks, haven't used them in years. Their
speeds are no longer accurate.

Play the 1KC tone on the alignment tape, turn the pot on the back of
the motor until it reads 1KC on the center of the tape with a counter.
It's the only pot on the motor board so it's easy to find.

Rewind the tape, try the tone at the beginning, then fast forward it
and try the tone at the end. If you see more than a 2% variation,
change the pinch roller and all the belts and try again. Yes, 2% is
a hell of a lot, but it's a cassette after all.

THEN do the azimuth adjustment.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Tape Guy wrote:

Which Akai deck was the best?

None.

You needed a Nakamichi to get anything tolerable and worth listening to.

Graham