Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default Bi Amp question

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote
in message
Don Pearce wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 20:40:25 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

I look forwards to it.

**Done. Go to:

www.rageaudio.com.au

Click on: Bi-amping.

3 scope traces, no text.

"page under construction'

**I supplied all the information in a post to Don in this thread. I have no
plans to keep the page on my site permanently.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:30:03 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

If you biamp you get to at least benefit from the ability to make tweeters
more efficient than woofers.

And to amplify on this, although you will likely have personal
quibbles (and, probably pretty hard to argue with, in a modern
context), an amplifier can be made to be lower distortion if
made "smaller", for any given amount of money. A smaller but
faster amplifier for any given buck - like that.

"A sadder but wiser girl for me." Extra points for those old
enough to name the reference. Arf.

My larger bitch about this whole discussion is that it has
assumed that speaker drivers will both be fed by and behave
*the same* when fed directly from an amplifier's super-low-Z
output as from a high(speaker)-level crossover.

This assumption isn't really very true in the region where
it matters the most, in the region of the driver's fundamental
resonance. Here, a high/speaker-level ("passive") crossover interacts
in difficult ways with the drivers' impedances....

Stuff you and all serious folks know, natch.

There are important advantages to defining each of a loudspeaker's
drivers' individual driving voltages very carefully:

It's difficult-bordering-on-impossible to define individual
drivers' impedance interactions within the bandpass network
of the "crossover". From a network-analysis-kinda viewpoint
the whole thing stinks on ice.

IOW, ain't no such thing as a real engineering-quality "passive"
"crossover", because there's no such thing as an engineering-
quality "load" for that crossover. Drivers are both complex
reactances and motors, and the whole contraption wobbles.

Given the sketchy, wobbly, weird, wangly nature of loudspeaker
drivers, and their complicated interactions with *any* impedances
between their own Pure Selves and whatever passes for voltage-source
driving machines, AND whatever residual amplifier errors that
any particular techically-savvy-net-person considers to Signify...

And then we get into the territory of the proper shape(s) of
the crossover itself. Here hearts are won and lost, wars are
fought, but ultimately we all agree (...?).

If we really want to discuss this topic, we'll want to discuss
both the topics of loudspeaker summed responses from multiple
radiators (see, as always! Linkwitz - done it, been there several
decades before us) and musical distribution of energy, a moving
target.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:30:03 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote in message

Just FYI, the music is "I'm with you", a track by Avril
Lavigne.

Must be atypical, because the example I did with a 4th order butterworth
crossover showed a nearly 7 dB difference, with the tweeter getting that
much less signal.

Also, tweeters are generally easier to make more efficient than woofers for
reasons relating to box size and the laws of physics.

If you biamp you get to at least benefit from the ability to make tweeters
more efficient than woofers.

This is the point, really. Music is like that; some goes one way, some
goes the other and some stays pretty much the same. You can't
construct a rule that allows you to generalise about what power you
need for which bit of the spectrum. Interestingly, if you put a square
wave through a crossover filter, the power requirement of the highpass
amplifier can double.

The reason tweeters tend to be more efficient than woofers isn't so
much to do with box sizes and the laws of physics as the fact that
they don't have to move far when working so it is easy to keep the
entire voice coil immersed in the magnetic field.

But remember what we are talking about here - not a system we are
designing from scratch, but a purchased speaker which has already been
balanced internally, but offers bi-amp terminals.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in
message
wrote:

If you biamp you get to at least benefit from the
ability to make tweeters more efficient than woofers.

And to amplify on this, although you will likely have
personal quibbles (and, probably pretty hard to argue
with, in a modern context), an amplifier can be made to
be lower distortion if made "smaller", for any given amount of money. A
smaller
but faster amplifier for any given buck - like that.

No quibble. It has always been easier and cheaper to make small, fast, high
gain transistors than big ones.

My larger bitch about this whole discussion is that it has
assumed that speaker drivers will both be fed by and
behave *the same* when fed directly from an amplifier's
super-low-Z output as from a high(speaker)-level crossover.

If you are free to design the drivers, then nominal (but not exceptional)
losses and source impedance issues in the crossover can be largely
compensated for.

This assumption isn't really very true in the region where
it matters the most, in the region of the driver's
fundamental resonance. Here, a high/speaker-level
("passive") crossover interacts in difficult ways with
the drivers' impedances....

It often is far more difficult to simply pay for crossover parts with
adequate quality. Furthermore, there are functions you might want to put
into the crossover that cost very little if implemented with a DSP, and cost
an arm or a leg or have egregious losses if implmented passively. Things
like phase shift networks and delays.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

"vMike" wrote in message

Don Pearce wrote in message news:497acea0.88809281@localhost...
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:03:32 -0500, "vMike"
wrote:

My understanding of the benefits of bi amp with active crossover (and
this
may be incorrect) is that the passive crossover in the speaker sends
small
amounts of current back to the amp through the speaker wires creating a
certain amount of distortion. Having active crossover with biamping
eliminates much of that distortion whereas having biamping with passive
crossover does nothing for that distortion.

Any thoughts on that?

Yes - it is incorrect. I'm not saying that all crossovers are entirely
free from distortion, but it is all relative. The speaker driver it is
feeding has distortion levels a hundred times as high.

The bit about sending tiny currents back, creating distortion is
actually technically incorrect too.

If you are really considering bi-amping in pursuit of better sound,
forget it. It isn't going to happen. All you will do is buy yourself
problems and grief getting it all set up. Spend the money on music.

ok enough said. I will leave things well enough alone. Music sounds great
already with what I have.
many thanks
mike

I bi-amp with a dbx active crossover, an adcom 555 on the low end and an
adcom 535 on the high. I'm pleased with the results. I crossover around
350 hz with the low side powering 4 10" woofers and the high side running an
MTM style arrangement using a couple 5" mid-bass and a ribbon tweeter. One
nice thing is that you do not have to worry about speaker impedances as much
which makes it easier when using multiple speakers. The active crossovers
give you a lot of flexibility to play with crossover point that you do not
have with a passive crossover at the output.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Edmund Edmund is offline

wrote:

My understanding of the benefits of bi amp with active crossover (and this
may be incorrect) is that the passive crossover in the speaker sends small
amounts of current back to the amp through the speaker wires creating a
certain amount of distortion. Having active crossover with biamping
eliminates much of that distortion whereas having biamping with passive
crossover does nothing for that distortion.

Any thoughts on that?

Yes - it is incorrect. I'm not saying that all crossovers are entirely
free from distortion,

That is one way put it :-)
passive crossovers are pain in many ways, they introduce a LOT
of phase shift in the signal is such a way that the output from
these crossovers alone!! never gives the input signal back.

An other things is, without a passive network between the amp and
the speaker unit, the amp wil have way better control over the driver.
So that also is way better with active crossover and bi amping.

Then we have the power requirements, one amp driving the entire range
will have to be big enough to drive the bass. When the amp starts to
clip, the passive filters directs these distortion products to the
tweeter and they are very audible! No such thing happens with an active
system. BTW you need LESS power with bi amping too.

but it is all relative. The speaker driver it is
feeding has distortion levels a hundred times as high.

Steep filters add a lot of distortion too.

The bit about sending tiny currents back, creating distortion is
actually technically incorrect too.

No it's not, the passive crossovers will shift phase and that IS
distortion.
( not that per se active crossovers will overcome that problem, but
some do )

If you are really considering bi-amping in pursuit of better sound,
forget it. It isn't going to happen. All you will do is buy yourself
problems and grief getting it all set up. Spend the money on music.

I strongly disagree with almost everything you said.

Edmund
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

My understanding of the benefits of bi amp with active crossover (and this
may be incorrect) is that the passive crossover in the speaker sends small
amounts of current back to the amp through the speaker wires creating a
certain amount of distortion. Having active crossover with biamping
eliminates much of that distortion whereas having biamping with passive
crossover does nothing for that distortion.

Any thoughts on that?

Yes - it is incorrect. I'm not saying that all crossovers are entirely
free from distortion,

That is one way put it :-)
passive crossovers are pain in many ways, they introduce a LOT
of phase shift in the signal is such a way that the output from
these crossovers alone!! never gives the input signal back.

Gibberish. They introduce no more phase shift than an active design of
similar slope. And it doesn't matter what signal they "give back"
[sic] because the amplifier has such a low output impedance that it is
shorted to ground.

An other things is, without a passive network between the amp and
the speaker unit, the amp wil have way better control over the driver.
So that also is way better with active crossover and bi amping.

No it won't. The loss in a passive crossover is low enough that the
amplifier maintains full control. The ratio that matters is the
crossover resistance to the speaker resistance - more than adequate, I
can assure you. And of course when you bi-amp a domestic speaker the
crossover is still in circuit - all you do is split the input, so no
deal there either.

Then we have the power requirements, one amp driving the entire range
will have to be big enough to drive the bass. When the amp starts to
clip, the passive filters directs these distortion products to the
tweeter and they are very audible! No such thing happens with an active
system. BTW you need LESS power with bi amping too.

Entirely wrong. First off, you don't drive amplifiers into clipping,
and if you find you are doing so, you need a bigger amplifier. And no,
with bi-amping you do not need less power. I have already demonstrated
this quite conclusively.

but it is all relative. The speaker driver it is
feeding has distortion levels a hundred times as high.

Steep filters add a lot of distortion too.

No they don't. Steep filters are as linear as shallow ones. Distortion
can only be added by non-linearity.

The bit about sending tiny currents back, creating distortion is
actually technically incorrect too.

No it's not, the passive crossovers will shift phase and that IS
distortion.
( not that per se active crossovers will overcome that problem, but
some do )

Wrong on every count. Phase shift is NOT distortion - it is in fact
entirely inaudible. And active crossovers introduce the identical
phase shift to passive ones of similar slope.

If you are really considering bi-amping in pursuit of better sound,
forget it. It isn't going to happen. All you will do is buy yourself
problems and grief getting it all set up. Spend the money on music.

I strongly disagree with almost everything you said.

Edmund

Jolly good.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Edmund Edmund is offline

vMike wrote:
I am thinking of bi amping my speakers using the extra 2 amps on my 7.1
avr. Using the small v. large settings and adjusting the crossover, I can
adjust the active crossover for the smalls to 350hz (matching the speakers
crossover) so that the mids and tweeters primarily get upper frequencies.
I do not have the ability to adjust the high pass crossover for the larges
so the woofers will get the full range of frequencies which will then use
the speaker's passive crossover.

Is this limitation going to negate the benefits of biamping?

mike

In short.
One of the big advantages in a active system is that the am are direct
connected with the drivers. So make sure the amps are direct connected
to the drivers without the passive crossover stuff.
One big mistake often made with active systems is using a very steep
crossover just because it can. That isn't going to work very well, what
you need is a phase correct crossover.I don't know what 7.1 avr is and
what woofers you have but if you can wire it as I told you,you be fine.

Edmund

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Edmund wrote:

passive crossovers are pain in many ways, they introduce a LOT
of phase shift in the signal is such a way that the output from
these crossovers alone!! never gives the input signal back.

Totally irrelevant, what matters is whether the acoustic output sums
properly.

An other things is, without a passive network between the amp and
the speaker unit, the amp wil have way better control over the driver.
So that also is way better with active crossover and bi amping.

A passive cross-over implies a high output impedance driving the units, at
least in the top.

Then we have the power requirements, one amp driving the entire range
will have to be big enough to drive the bass. When the amp starts to
clip, the passive filters directs these distortion products to the
tweeter and they are very audible!

Yees.

No such thing happens with an active system.

Correct.

BTW you need LESS power with bi amping too.

Too simplified, you need the same total amount of power delivered to the
units.

Steep filters add a lot of distortion too.

No.

No it's not, the passive crossovers will shift phase and that IS
distortion.
( not that per se active crossovers will overcome that problem, but
some do )

Phase shift per se is not an issue.

If you are really considering bi-amping in pursuit of better sound,
forget it. It isn't going to happen. All you will do is buy yourself
problems and grief getting it all set up. Spend the money on music.

For Joe user who has an iteratively optimized passive cross-over that is
entirely correct. A replacement active cross-over would need no less
optimization. Just plugging multiple amps into the existing passive
crossover is a concept that has merit for the amplifier sellers income only.

I strongly disagree with almost everything you said.

We can't all agree with Don. The user he didn't allow for is Timmy the DIY
guy with a cookbook passive cross-over and no means to optimize it to the
actual system. He will be less bad off with an active. Biamping to me reads
as if no active cross-over is used, in which case the technical merit is at
best zero.

Edmund

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Edmund wrote:

vMike wrote:

I am thinking of bi amping my speakers using the extra 2 amps on my
7.1 avr. Using the small v. large settings and adjusting the
crossover, I can adjust the active crossover for the smalls to 350hz
(matching the speakers crossover) so that the mids and tweeters
primarily get upper frequencies. I do not have the ability to adjust
the high pass crossover for the larges so the woofers will get the
full range of frequencies which will then use the speaker's passive
crossover.

Get a proper cross-over then. Behringers DCX may be a candiate PROVIDED you
are qualified to align the system properly, including getting the line
levels right for good s-n ratio.

Is this limitation going to negate the benefits of biamping?

For a simple answer: that is not what those settings have as purpose. If you
want to experiment with an active cross-over, then get one.

mike

One of the big advantages in a active system is that the am are direct
connected with the drivers. So make sure the amps are direct connected
to the drivers without the passive crossover stuff.

I tend to agree that loudspeaker drivers that are connected directly to an
amplifiers gives the best they can.

One big mistake often made with active systems is using a very steep
crossover just because it can. That isn't going to work very well,

Best active system I have heard yet crossed over at 200 dB pr. octave.

what you need is a phase correct crossover.

What he needs is a crossover that matches his loudspeakers as system
consided and matches the requirements for making each and every unit perform
optimally.

I don't know what 7.1 avr
is

They guy is talking about finagling his el cheapo or somewhat costlio
surround receiver to use as cross-over. It is plain silly.

and what woofers you have but if you can wire it as I told you, you
be fine.

Allow me to suggest the OP's actual question before typing the answer. If
there be information lacking, then ask for it up front.

Edmund

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 28, 5:18*am, Edmund wrote:
passive crossovers are pain in many ways, they introduce a LOT
of phase shift in the signal is such a way that the output from
these crossovers alone!!

This is total nonsense. The phase shift of a crossover
is determined by its transfer function, NOT be how it
is implemented. Build a passive 2nd-order Butterworth
crossover, and you will find that its phase shift is
IDENTICAL to an actively implemented 2nd-order
butterworth. Do it again digitially, and the phase
shift will be, again IDENTICAL.

never gives the input signal back.

The ability of a speaker to reconstruct its input signal
requires the ENTIRE system be designed as a system.
And it can be done as well with active and passive
networks, given a sufficiently skilled designer.

An other things is, without a passive network between
the amp and the speaker unit, the amp wil have way
better control over the driver.

Nonsense again. The total series resistance in a
speaker is what controls damping, and that resistance
is dominated and, in most cases, overwhelmed by
the DC resistance of the voice coil winding, which is
most often more than an order of magnitude greater
than that inserted by series crossover components.

So that also is way better with active crossover and
bi amping.

No, it is not, and provably so.

Steep filters add a lot of distortion too.

Are you just making this stuff up, or are you getting
it from someone who's just making it up?

The bit about sending tiny currents back, creating distortion is
actually technically incorrect too.

No it's not,

Yes, it is. Please go study some real electrical
engineering principles before you spout this stuff off.

the passive crossovers will shift phase and that IS
distortion.

No it is not, ESPECIALLY when a competent designer
has designed the overall response of the network to be
the conjugate of the drivers.

If you are really considering bi-amping in pursuit of better sound,
forget it. It isn't going to happen. All you will do is buy yourself
problems and grief getting it all set up.

I strongly disagree with almost everything you said.

And, with no disrespect intended, you do so from
from a position of technical ignorance.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 28, 5:34*am, Edmund wrote:
One of the big advantages in a active system is
that the am are direct connected with the drivers.

They are with passive networks as well. You have some real
technical evidence to the contrary?

One big mistake often made with active systems is
using a very steep crossover just because it can.

No, the BIGGEST mistake is a blind belief in just
the points you have made. The BEST crossover is
the crossover that is SPECIFICALLY and EXCLUSIVELY
designed to work with the specific combination of drivers,
cabinets and all that go to make the speaker SYSTEM.
Secondary to this is whether it is passive or active.

The notion that one can simply go an get an active
crossover, hack it into an existing system and have
it work better is extremely naive and boneheaded.
A speaker is a SYSTEM, designed, hopefully, by
the designer who is aware of the response of the
drivers used in the way they are and then tailors
the design of the network to integrate them all
together. The crossover transfer function, topology
and implementation is chosen SPECIFICALLY to
compensate for the transfer function deviations of
the drivers.

The person designing the speaker SYSTEM has
a far better understanding of the requirements of
the SYSTEM than the personb whose designing
some generic active crossover. How on earth could
you think otherwise?

That isn't going to work very well, what you need
is a phase correct crossover.

What is "phase correct" other than technobabble?
Do you mean "linear phase" Do you mean "minimum
phase" Do you mean "conjugate phase?" What?

I don't know what 7.1 avr is and
what woofers you have but if you can wire it as
I told you,you be fine.

Again, as a statement of fact, you have no idea,
in a technical sense, what you are talking about,
other than spouting popular culture and myth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Edmund Edmund is offline

wrote:

[...]

That active crossovers have the same phase shift doesn't change
the fact that that is unwanted.
Enlish is not mu language and I was very unclear with "give the input
signal back" what I mean is, the sum of the output from a crossover
with phase shift, is never equal to the input signal and there is no way
to correct that with speaker units.

And making a passive filter requires big C's and L's, then there is the
tolerance of C's which makes it hard to get the required values end
keep values for some time.
these things are much easier to realize with an active crossover and
as I said, there are no C's and L's between the amp and the driver.

[...]

well I agree but clipping still happens.
o,
with bi-amping you do not need less power. I have already demonstrated
this quite conclusively.

How did you demonstrate that? it isn't true.

but it is all relative. The speaker driver it is
feeding has distortion levels a hundred times as high.

Steep filters add a lot of distortion too.

No they don't. Steep filters are as linear as shallow ones. Distortion
can only be added by non-linearity.

The bit about sending tiny currents back, creating distortion is
actually technically incorrect too.

No it's not, the passive crossovers will shift phase and that IS
distortion.
( not that per se active crossovers will overcome that problem, but
some do )

Wrong on every count. Phase shift is NOT distortion - it is in fact
entirely inaudible.

Well it is very easy to prove you are wrong here.
just add two identical sine waves with 180 phase shift,
what will you hear? Hint ... nothing!
So we can talk about how much it is audible but it is clear
that there is an audible effect.

Edmund

Jolly good.

Edmund
Posted to rec.audio.tech
vMike vMike is offline

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Edmund wrote:

vMike wrote:

[...]

I don't think I was talking about finagling anything. I have a pretty
decent system and the speakers sound awesome. I was just thinking that
since I have two extra channels in the system that maybe I should use them
if there was some benefit. I did a little bit of research and it seemed
that if you have active crossovers then there might be a benefit. But I
plan to leave well enough alone.
Mike

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 28, 10:43*am, Edmund wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:18:00 +0100, Edmund
passive crossovers are pain in many ways, they introduce a LOT
of phase shift in the signal is such a way that the output from
these crossovers alone!! never gives the input signal back.

Gibberish. They introduce no more phase shift than an active design of
similar slope.

That active crossovers have the same phase shift
doesn't change the fact that that is unwanted.

Nonsense. If my clients present me with a system
with unwanted phase over some band, I'll design
a crossover with just the right amount of complementary
phase to correct it.

Your blanket statement that "phase is unwanted"
is simply wrong.

Enlish is not mu language

It's not your English I have issue with, it's your
appallingly bad command of physics that's the
problem.

and I was very unclear with "give the input
signal back" what I mean is, the sum of the
output from a crossover with phase shift, is
never equal to the input signal and there is
no way to correct that with speaker units.

And you're most assuredly, absolutely 100%
wrong.

And making a passive filter requires big C's
and L's, then there is the tolerance of C's
which makes it hard to get the required values
end keep values for some time.

I can get 5% tolerance on capacitors of the values
I requi which is better, by not a small amount,
than the tolerances on the drivers they're connected
to.

these things are much easier to realize with an
active crossover and as I said, there are no C's
and L's between the amp and the driver.

Irrelevant.

* And it doesn't matter what signal they "give back"

Then why bring it up?

Wrong on every count. Phase shift is NOT distortion - it is in fact
entirely inaudible.

Well it is very easy to prove you are wrong here.
just add two identical sine waves with 180 phase shift,
what will you hear? * Hint ... nothing!

Please, spare us the uninformed, childish tricks.
your silly little experiment does NOT demonstrate
anything whatsoever about the audibility of phase.

Try the following experiment: take any speaker, add
2 poles of all-pass filtering at about 500 Hz, and tell
us if you can hear the difference.

So we can talk about how much it is audible but
it is clear that there is an audible effect.

Your "demonstration" is absurd on its face.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

[...]

It does not matter where the crossover is - the effect of phase shift
is identical.

And making a passive filter requires big C's and L's, then there is the
tolerance of C's which makes it hard to get the required values end
keep values for some time.
these things are much easier to realize with an active crossover and
as I said, there are no C's and L's between the amp and the driver.

The loudspeaker crossover has been a done deal for a long time. Inside
the loudspeaker is the right place to put it, because it is a
necessary part of the speaker system. If one were to put it in the
amplifier, one would need a different crossover option for every
speaker the amplifier might need to drive. That is not a sensible
option, particularly given that it would work no better.

[...]

Look back through the thread - there is a post of mine with the
evidence.

[...]

What does that have to do with phase shift being audible? Come to
that, what does it have to do with anything?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

vMike wrote:

I don't think I was talking about finagling anything. I have a pretty
decent system and the speakers sound awesome.

Thank you for clarifying.

I was just thinking
that since I have two extra channels in the system that maybe I
should use them if there was some benefit.

I'd use them for extra loudspeakers.

I did a little bit of
research and it seemed that if you have active crossovers then there
might be a benefit.

That is quite correct.

But I plan to leave well enough alone.

Paraphrasing something I once read about computers: you can design
loudspeakers or have time to listen to them, but hardly ever both .... it is
possible to get something extraordinary by purchasing quality components and
diy'in it all, but only cheap if a labor of love, if you weigh your own time
at even a single USD pr. hour it gets costly.

Mike

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 28, 10:50*am, "vMike" wrote:
I don't think I was talking about finagling anything. *

Attempting to convert an existing speaker system to
use an electronic crossover without the measurement
facilities, the design documentation of the original
designer, and without a whole lot of expertise in the
'domain IS finagling.

I have a pretty decent system and the speakers
sound awesome.

Then why, on earth, try to fix something that, in
your words, sounds awesome?

*I was just thinking that since I have two extra
channels in the system that maybe I should
use them if there was some benefit.

For existing speaker systems and a small investment
in time, there is not benefit, and real potential to
make things worse, and a fairly high probability
of wasted time.

But I plan to leave well enough alone.

Excellent idea.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
vMike vMike is offline

wrote in message
On Jan 28, 10:50 am, "vMike" wrote:
I don't think I was talking about finagling anything.

Attempting to convert an existing speaker system to
use an electronic crossover without the measurement
facilities, the design documentation of the original
designer, and without a whole lot of expertise in the
'domain IS finagling.

I have a pretty decent system and the speakers
sound awesome.

Then why, on earth, try to fix something that, in
your words, sounds awesome?

I was just thinking that since I have two extra
channels in the system that maybe I should
use them if there was some benefit.

For existing speaker systems and a small investment
in time, there is not benefit, and real potential to
make things worse, and a fairly high probability
of wasted time.

But I plan to leave well enough alone.

Excellent idea.

Well ... I don't care how awesome anything is ... I never stop trying to
see if it can be better. Whether it is the sound system or the cup of
espresso or you name it.

My guess is there are a few other in the group who are the same.

Thanks for you insights

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 28, 2:28*pm, "vMike" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 28, 10:50 am, "vMike" wrote:

[...]

Well if you really want to biamp correctly then you need to pickup a 2
channel active crossover and you will need to open up the speakers and
disconnect parts of the passive crossover in it. If the speakers are
two way you will just have straight connections to the speakers from
each amp. If they are three way you will need to preserve the portion
of the passive crossover that handles the tweeter and midrange
speakers. You will drive both of them with one amp channel and the
woofer with another amp channel. Depending on the passive crossover
design that may be as simple as just disconnecting the woofers from
the crossover. But more complex passive crossovers may require other
changes as well.

It would also be useful to know the original designers intended
crossover points as that would be a good starting point for your
active crossover setting. For many commercial speakers the passive
crossover circuit is fairly simple. The main question will be if the
coils are labeled so that you could reverse the calculations and
determine the intended frequencies. The vast majority of passive
crossovers fall in 3 or 4 basic designs with some minor variations and
possibly some notch filters. All are easily found on the internet.
There may also be documentation on the speakers somewhere around that
gives you the design crossover points without you having to figure it
out. You could also ask the manufacturer.

There is also the much rarer use of tri-amping with 3 way speakers.
But you need 6 channels of amp for that. Then you get a 3 way active
crossover and connect each amp directly to each speaker. No passive
crossover components at all.

The basic premise of biamping is that the larger power swings of the
low frequencies can carry the higher frequencies farther into the
extremes of the amp's total power range. Imagine that a high
frequency sine wave is mixed with a low freqeuncy one that is also a
higher voltage. On a scope you will see the higher frequency "riding"
the lower frequency and the total voltage swing when both waves are in
sync will be the sum of the two. By isolating the low frequency to a
different channel the channel handling the highs is not dealing with
the larger low freqeuncy voltage swings. It also allows you to choose
amps that are more suited to each task. Some people will even run a
tube amp on the high side since one of the big advantages of solid
state amps over tubes is their power handling.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 29, 8:21*am, wrote:

What exactly is it about this topic that causes
so much blither, mythology and technical hooey
to be propagated as TRVTH(tm)?

Well if you really want to biamp correctly then you need to pickup a 2
channel active crossover and you will need to open up the speakers and
disconnect parts of the passive crossover in it. *If the speakers are
two way you will just have straight connections to the speakers from
each amp. *If they are three way you will need to preserve the portion
of the passive crossover that handles the tweeter and midrange
speakers. *You will drive both of them with one amp channel and the
woofer with another amp channel. *Depending on the passive crossover
design that may be as simple as just disconnecting the woofers from
the crossover. *But more complex passive crossovers may require other
changes as well.

Almost ALL crossovers in ANY decent speakers will
require this.

PIcming the crossover point and slopes is the
EASY part, and, often the LEAST important part
of the crossover design. NOT A SINGLE ACTIVE
OFF-THE-SHELF CROSSOVER DEALS WITH
THIS.

It would also be useful to know the original designers intended
crossover points as that would be a good starting point for your
active crossover setting.

Again, the crossover points are NOT the problem.
The taoloring of the crossover response to the SYSTEM
is what's the issue, and every one of you go-out-and-
buy-an-active-crossover for reasons I simply don't get
ABSOLUTELY refuses to deal with that issue.

*For many commercial speakers the passive
crossover circuit is fairly simple. *The main question will be if the
coils are labeled so that you could reverse the calculations and
determine the intended frequencies. *

NO, IT IS NOT. The MAIN question is why do you
think you have more expertise on the design of a
speaker than the designer did?

The vast majority of passive crossovers fall in 3
or 4 basic designs with some minor variations and
possibly some notch filters.

No, they fall into two very distinct categories:
those that work and those that don't. What you're
proposing is a means by which someone can turn
those that work into those that don't in as expensive
a manner as possible.

*All are easily found on the internet.
There may also be documentation on the speakers
somewhere around that gives you the design crossover
points without you having to figure it
out.

THE CROSSOVER POINTS AREN'T THE ISSUE.
The design of the crossover and the speaker
TOGETHER as a system IS the issue. And you
propose to basically ignore this piece of physics.

*You could also ask the manufacturer.

Who will tell you to one degree of politeness or
another to go pound sand.

*Some people will even run a tube amp on the
high side since one of the big advantages of solid
state amps over tubes is their power handling.

And what's the advantage of the tube amp?

In fact, what you're saying in fact is that the
advantage to a high-power amp is that it has
higher power than a low power amp. I'd agree
to that assertion with a hearty "so what?"
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote in message

Again, the crossover points are NOT the problem.
The tailoring of the crossover response to the SYSTEM
is what's the issue, and every one of you go-out-and-
buy-an-active-crossover for reasons I simply don't get
ABSOLUTELY refuses to deal with that issue.

How effective are products like the DCX 2496 that implement crossovers by
stringing together various modules?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 29, 8:48*am, wrote:
On Jan 29, 8:21*am, wrote:

[...]

While the speakers in question are pretty pricy it is my understanding
the factory crossover uses cored inductors and electrolitic
capacitors. A decent active crossover is probably better
technically. Admittedly there may also be notch filters to compensate
for specific cabinet/speaker characteristics that is not so easily
reproduced in the active crossover. It would be interesting to see
the actual schematic of their passive crossover. The sales hype goes
on about "golf ball aerodynamics theory" being used in their port
design which frankly sounds like total tripe. No doubt they might
tell you they have some "revolutionary" new crossover design as well.
Would you believe that?

If I owned those speakers I would very likely not consider trying to
biamp them. Partly for some of the reasons you point out. Does that
constitute agreeing with you? :-)

As to the tube amp, personally I have no use for them. But some do
and one problem is that tube amps can not match the headroom of solid
state amps within anything near similar costs. So the tube amp
afficianado (NOT ME) can have his cake and eat it in terms of headroom
for heart pounding bass while retaining that tube amp sound (what ever
that is, again NOT ME).
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
How effective are products like the DCX 2496 that implement crossovers by
stringing together various modules?

IMO any good digital active crossover is highly effective if implemented
properly. Dick is suggesting (probably quite correctly) that most people do
not have the knowledge and test capabilities to do so, not that it can't be
done at all. In fact if starting with a new design from scratch, it is
usually quicker and easier to get a satisfactory result using a programmable
crossover IMO, given the same level of ability and test conditions.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 29, 1:40*pm, jakdedert wrote:
wrote:

snip

If I owned those speakers I would very likely not consider trying to
biamp them. *Partly for some of the reasons you point out. *Does that
constitute agreeing with you? :-)

?? Does someone have a link to the OP's speakers. *AARC, he id'd them by
a model number (902?) with no brand. *Apparently it was something I
'should' know; or he actually listed the brand and I missed it.

This thread is too long to search it out.

jak

I believe he has the B&H 802D's

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-lo...udpeakers.html
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

How effective are products like the DCX 2496 that
implement crossovers by stringing together various
modules?

IMO any good digital active crossover is highly effective
if implemented properly.

Not necessarily. I've built enough speakers to understand Dick's point.

If you just take say a good Linkwitz-Rielly crossover and hook it up to some
drivers and give it your best shot at adjusting crossover frequencies and
levels, you will probably miss flat response by quite a bit.

This is, if for no other reason, because the transfer functions of the upper
and lower half of crossover which may sum to flat response, also has those
transfer functions multiplied by the transfer functions of the respective
driver. This will yield a different transfer function from the one that sums
so nicely to flat response.

For example, many people hook up two drivers up to a Linkwitz-Reilly (4th
order filters for high and low composed of 2 cascaded second order
Butterworth filters each) crossover and think that they are going to get the
Linkwitz-Reilly's smooth response through the crossover region. Problem is,
adding drivers adds two more filters that may be themselves second order
within an octave or two of the crossover frequency. We now have 3 cascaded
second order filters for each of the upper range and lower range sections of
the speaker speaker. Not exactly what we planned, eh?

Dick is suggesting (probably
quite correctly) that most people do not have the
knowledge and test capabilities to do so, not that it
can't be done at all.

No, we've found that even if you have the knowledge and the test
capabilities, you won't get adequately flat response with just a good
crossover that lets you adjust crossover frequencies and levels.

In fact if starting with a new
design from scratch, it is usually quicker and easier to
get a satisfactory result using a programmable crossover
IMO, given the same level of ability and test conditions.

This presumes that the crossover has the necessary other features, beyond
just some complementary filters whose frequency you can adjust, and level
controls.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

How effective are products like the DCX 2496 that
implement crossovers by stringing together various
modules?

IMO any good digital active crossover is highly effective
if implemented properly.

Not necessarily. I've built enough speakers to understand Dick's point.

If you just take say a good Linkwitz-Rielly crossover and hook it up to

some
drivers and give it your best shot at adjusting crossover frequencies and
levels, you will probably miss flat response by quite a bit.

Re-read the "if implemented properly" again.
And the fact that you specifically mentioned a digital programmable
crossover.
But I do admit my "any good digital active crossover" claim does in fact
rely heavily on the definition of "good" :-)

Dick is suggesting (probably
quite correctly) that most people do not have the
knowledge and test capabilities to do so, not that it
can't be done at all.

No, we've found that even if you have the knowledge and the test
capabilities, you won't get adequately flat response with just a good
crossover that lets you adjust crossover frequencies and levels.

Of course, fortunately we can adjust more than that.
If not then obviously you need a better box :-)

In fact if starting with a new
design from scratch, it is usually quicker and easier to
get a satisfactory result using a programmable crossover
IMO, given the same level of ability and test conditions.

This presumes that the crossover has the necessary other features, beyond
just some complementary filters whose frequency you can adjust, and level
controls.

Correct.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 29, 11:58*am, wrote:
On Jan 29, 8:48*am, wrote:
THE CROSSOVER POINTS AREN'T THE ISSUE.
The design of the crossover and the speaker
TOGETHER as a system IS the issue. And you
propose to basically ignore this piece of physics.

While the speakers in question are pretty pricy it
is my understanding the factory crossover uses
cored inductors and electrolitic capacitors.

How is that at all relevant?

*A decent active crossover is probably better
technically. *

Not if it is not explicitly designed to be integrated
in to the system, it isn't.

Is there any reason why you are insisting on
ognoring this very crucial point? How is the issue
of "cored inductors" in any way relevant? I'd
much rather have a passice crossover with cored
inductors that gets me the right response than the
best active generic active crossover in the world.

Admittedly there may also be notch filters to
compensate for specific cabinet/speaker
characteristics that is not so easily
reproduced in the active crossover. *

Well, thank you for your mild "admission," but
it's something that has been well known and well
understood by any number of competent speaker
designers for decades, and you just getting around
to "admitting" it?

Your admission suggests, then, that off-the-shelf
active crossover are likely NOT to be better than
the purpose designed passice networks in a
competently designed speaker SYSTEM, eh?

It would be interesting to see the actual
schematic of their passive crossover. *

Which in and of itslef would tell you relatively
little. without ALL the design criteria and factors
that went into the SYSTEM design, you're not
going to understand the SYSTEM.

The sales hype goes on about "golf ball
aerodynamics theory" being used in their port
design which frankly sounds like total tripe. *

No, because right surface profile is capable of
substantially alleviating effects due to boundary-
layer turbulence.

No doubt they might tell you they have some
"revolutionary" new crossover design as well.

"No doubt" and "they might" seems a bit contradictory.

Would you believe that?

Would I believe what?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 29, 6:03*pm, wrote:
On Jan 29, 11:58*am, wrote:

On Jan 29, 8:48*am, wrote:
[...]

Ferrite core and electrolitics are generally accepted to be inferior
to air core and polypropylene for use in crossovers. They certainly
are cheaper. Cheaper is not what I expect to find when I look under
the "hood" of speakers in that price range. And the best solution for
port turbulence is no port. That they used "theory" when designing
their port suggests that they didn't really test anything, they just
think that the theory is applicable. You think they tested?

Without a schematic of their crossover we are just speculating as to
how it compares to a standard active crossover. For all you know it's
a vanilla 12 db circuit. In this price range I would expect more but
I also expected air core and polypropylene as well and I was wrong
there.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

wrote in message
On Jan 29, 11:58 am, wrote:
On Jan 29, 8:48 am, wrote:
THE CROSSOVER POINTS AREN'T THE ISSUE.
The design of the crossover and the speaker
TOGETHER as a system IS the issue. And you
propose to basically ignore this piece of physics.

Dick,

I've seen a number of so-called "audiophile" loudspeakers that have very
simple crossovers, some as simple as a single capacitor, but many which
consist of simple LC sections, with perhaps a single resistor to reduce
tweeter levels. Many such manufacturers make a virtue of their simple
crossover design. Now I know this is all marketing, they make a virtue of
their limitations, but is there any reason that someone with one of these
loudspeakers couldn't use a DSP-based electronic crossover?

I ask also because a project I have in mind for the future is to change the
crossover in the Tannoy 15" Dual Concentric for an electronic one. Looking
at the circuit diagram of Tannoy's crossover looks like something that could
be replicated with an electronic device. Am I missing something?

Best regards

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Ferrite core and electrolitics are generally accepted to be inferior
to air core and polypropylene for use in crossovers.

I am open to the issue of component sound, however there is an issue an
order of magnitude larger, the one of getting a decent frequency response.
One of the great "extras" of computer optimisation is that it is easy to
factor cross-over component properties into the cross-over, and if that is
done then it gets to be a very poor idea to replace the actual coil, cored
or not.

They certainly are cheaper. Cheaper is not what I expect to
find when I look under the "hood" of speakers in that price range.

There was some mentioning of the OP's speakers being B&W's. There are a few
tweaks that I want to undertake when listening to some B&W's, but not of
their cross-over based on what I have ascertained at demonstrations of them,
ie. sub-optimal listening conditions. Generally they are very good at
highlighting what is wrong about whatever is in front of them .... programme
included.

On the note of subtleties ... once you have tried making some recordings and
experienced the influence on the sound of an instrument of moving it one
meter in the room, or of opening the lid of the nearby piano, then you get a
different attitude to what matters. These changes in sound are gross. The
changes in amount of information perceived by ""upgrading"" cross-over
components is nowhere near those differences. In my opinion the way to real
transparency is not to "upgrade" a crossover, but to replace it with a
digital optimized solution if passive is not good enough. That said, I did
pay for an upgrade of my L100's and it was worth it (a required slope was
not implemented ex works in the actual version) ... but the state of the art
of "cross-overing" is somewhat higher in whatever comes out of B&W'w plant.

And the best solution for port turbulence is no port.

Yes. But the cost is higher distortion in the bass range.

That they used "theory" when designing
their port suggests that they didn't really test anything, they just
think that the theory is applicable. You think they tested?

The minor gripe I occasionally have had with B&W is that they measured too
much and listened too little on the first models after the DM2A. From a
measuring and theory viewpoint a slightly silly construction, but one that
provided excellent listenability.

Without a schematic of their crossover we are just speculating as to
how it compares to a standard active crossover. For all you know it's
a vanilla 12 db circuit.

First you say that you know nothing and then that you know exactly what it
is. You don't. You only know that after measuring the actual output from the
units.

In this price range I would expect more but
I also expected air core and polypropylene as well and I was wrong
there.

I don't know the actual loudspeaker, nor its price range and I haven't
listened. I like to use air core and polypropylene in my diy, but I also
know just how much an increase in the component cost hits the over the
counter price and the slight quality increase is not likely to match that.
Do no mess with the coils, their actual properties is likely to constitute A
cross-over component that you overlook. In fact, with a modern, computer
optimized, design, do not at all mess with it at all unless you have
facilities similar to those of the manufacturer.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 30, 8:35*am, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 29, 11:58 am, wrote:

On Jan 29, 8:48 am, wrote:
[...]

He's assuming that the crossover in question has additional components
beyond one of the common crossover designs. Such as additional
filters to compensate for peaks or fall off somewhere. A point I say
is just theoretical until we see the schematic of the crossover in
question. An active crossover is an acceptable substitution for a
basic no frills passive crossover. It is essentially the same thing
substituted further up the signal path. If you wish to experiment,
it's far easier than changing passive components at the output stage.
And if you really want to you can get active equipment that will also
let you introduce and adjust other filtering effects as well.

True, there is a school of thought that additional complexity in the
crossover just introduces as many problems as it creates. As you know
the speaker is not a straight load, it has inductive properties as
well. Some would point out capacitive too. And the load the cabinet
places on the speaker has yet another impact. Of course all this
varying with frequency. While the complete behavior is pretty easy to
observe at one frequency it's a whole nother beast to determine what
the total effects of the speaker, cabinet, and crossover components
are on that vastly more complex music signal. Never mind measuring
the effects of port design on turbulence. Imho all that's what's
behind the simple is better school. Some of the same proponents of
biamping also recommend simple no frills 6 db or 12 db crossovers from
the mid/tweeter section. There are a number of camps and they all
have their pluses and minuses. Some people would point out that all
the complicated reflections in the typical home listening room negate
the bulk of this fine tweaking anyway.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , wrote:
On Jan 30, 8:35=A0am, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 29, 11:58 am, wrote:

On Jan 29, 8:48 am, wrote:
[...]

I think you have to consider the crossover-driver interaction. If you duplicated passive
with active, the driver does not see the same thing. It sees the amplifier output.
You have to duplicated the whole action of the passive crossover in the active crossover.

greg

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 29, 11:58 am, wrote:

On Jan 29, 8:48 am, wrote:
[...]

the bulk of this fine tweaking anyway.- Hide quoted text -

Legitimate point.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
vMike vMike is offline

wrote in message
On Jan 29, 1:40 pm, jakdedert wrote:
wrote:

snip

If I owned those speakers I would very likely not consider trying to
biamp them. Partly for some of the reasons you point out. Does that
constitute agreeing with you? :-)

?? Does someone have a link to the OP's speakers. AARC, he id'd them by
a model number (902?) with no brand. Apparently it was something I
'should' know; or he actually listed the brand and I missed it.

This thread is too long to search it out.

jak

I believe he has the B&H 802D's

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-lo...udpeakers.html

Yes they are B&W 802D's
mike

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jan 30, 8:21*am, wrote:
Ferrite core and electrolitics are generally accepted to be inferior
to air core and polypropylene for use in crossovers. *

Spare me the "generally accepted" nonsense.

It's "generally acceped" that active crossovers are
better than passive crossovers. It's "generally accepted"
that CD output has stair-step waveforms. It's "generally
accepted" that LPs have infinite resolution. It's "generally
accepted" that digital audio can't resolve time events
less than a single sample period.

It's "generally accepted" is a cover for grotesque stupidity
and laziness in the audio world.

They certainly
are cheaper. *Cheaper is not what I expect to find when
I look under the "hood" of speakers in that price range. *

That's because you are in no position to make
that sort of judgement. Loudspeaker design of ALL
kinds is primarily a balance of competing priorities,
a very important one is cost. The money saved on
the difference between two different kinds of cap or
coil is actually a very SMALL part of the total parts
budget of most loudspeakers. The cabinet, the drivers,
non-direct labor costs, dealer profi are all much larger.
A typical speaker in the specialty (non-mass market)
audio business will have, at most 20-25% of its retail
price tied up in direct materials cost. Of that, 80% is
cabinet and drivers. That leaves EVERYTHING ELSE,
like sipping carton, the TOTAL crossover, and so on,
taking up, at most, 5% of the total retail cost. changing
from a $2 coil to a $4 coil might add on the order of
$20 to the total retail price of a loudspeaker.

It's NOT a cost issue and to claim so or get upset
exposes a great deal of naivety about how the
loudspeaker business HAS to work.

And the best solution for port turbulence is no port.

Bullsh*t, in a word. Look, you're ding a superb job
of revealing to the assembled crowd how little you
know. Id recommend stopping while you're still slightly
ahead.

Vented design provides a number of very valuable design
advantages to a competent designer. That there are
incompetent designers and, more importantly, arm-
chair commentators who are clueless about such matters,
but fortunately none of them stand in the way of
competent designs.

To quote and old sage, "any idiot can design a
loudspeaker and, regrettably, many do." It's correlary
is "any idot can have an opinion about stuff he doesn't
know about, and, regrettably, many do."

*That they used "theory" when designing
their port suggests that they didn't really
test anything, they just think that the theory
is applicable. *

It suggests nothing of the sort.

You think they tested?

You have anything otherv than your uninformed opinion
they did not?

Without a schematic of their crossover we are just
speculating as to how it compares to a standard
active crossover. *

I would kindly suggest that you refain from the use of
"we" here, because "you" really have no idea. I, on the
other hand, have spent the last 35 years designing
and measuring this stuff, and have, in fact, measured
thousands of examples of such.

For all you know it's a vanilla 12 db circuit. *

If it's B&W we are talking about, I'll bet you $1000
and give you 4:1 odds is it not.

You want to take the bet?

In this price range I would expect more but
I also expected air core and polypropylene
as well and I was wrong there.

That's because your expectations are a result
of lack of information, expertise and not a small
amount of ill-formed preconceived notions.

Unless you have something other than amateurish
handwaving, I'm done.