Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Shure cartridge ID

Rummaging through my box of phono stuff I discovered what seems to be a
nice Shure cartridge I'd forgotten I had (no stylus, though). It's a
silver-colored V15 III-HE. Is this one of the good V15s, or just a so-so
one?

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Rummaging through my box of phono stuff I discovered what seems to be a
nice Shure cartridge I'd forgotten I had (no stylus, though). It's a
silver-colored V15 III-HE. Is this one of the good V15s, or just a so-so
one?

--

The V15III is possibly the most"classic" of the V15 series. The V was
technically better, but I think it's the III that gets the greatest

I have a III myself, which I use on a Garrard 401/SME3009, and which has the
last available original Shure MR stylus, with now something like 60 hours on
it.

The "HE" part refers to the stylus profile, Hyper Elliptical, the bodies
were in any case identical. Before buying a Shure original stylus (luckily
just before they became unavailable) I tried one of the generic stylii and
found it appallingly bad, wouldn't track to save its life, and with a
horrible screechy top, so you may have to experiment a bit with replacement
stylii. If you can find a New Old Stock Shure stylus, then grab it.

Good luck, it's definitely one of the good ones.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 3/1/2009 2:05 AM Serge Auckland spake thus:

[...]

Thanks. I'm going to try to husband my small cartridge selection through
the current "recession". Besides my 2 "users" (good one: Signet TKN7LCa,
which I really really like; mediocre one: Audio-Technica something
something), I have the following:

o Empire EXL-10
o Stanton D61
o Empire 999 XE/X