Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Chad Wahls

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

I do trust JBL recones.

I probably would trust JBL too.
But what happens here is that ppl blow up their speakers
and turn cones inside out etc and they don't like JBL replacement costs.
So they take them to some guy who does generic repair jobs, and after the
repair
it cannot be the same speaker
at all; different voice coil, cone material, suspension, etc.
There are a few cowboys in the speaker repair industry.

With domestic speakers, complete re-coning is seldom worth the effort;
The most common speaker I often repair is 8", and its the surround that
needs
the fix,
and once done the speaker will go another 20 years with luck if teenagers
are
kept
away from the volume control and bass boost of dad's old system.

Where the voice coil is stuffed, I always buy new drivers which are
usually
better than the originals
for most hi-fi speakers that are now 20 years old.
But I have never had to buy new JBL drivers. This would be a costly
exercise.

One guy I know had large JBL monitors with 2 x 15" woofers per speaker
unit in
different volume ported
boxes with a bipolar horn loaded tweeter shaped like a mans' bum in the
front
baffle,
to go from 1khz to 20 kHz.
One had a cracked titanium diaphragm, and it cost the client aud $700
to get it fixed by the authorized JBL repairer here in Oz.

But the owner was very happy with the sound, once the repair was made,
even
though he had two yamaha 2200 amps
with biamping and active JBL Xover.

Patrick Turner.

We have cowboys over here too, and many people get suckered in. I worked
for a JBL recone center and someine actually tried to bring a basket in for
warranty repair that a cowboy botched up.

JBL is VERY finiky on this stuff and would rather never sell you another
product than to repair it under warranty!

Chad