Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Boys and Girls

Please print out this message and stick a copy on your computer:

A JACK is the thing with the hole
A PLUG is the thing with the pins or prongs or tips

The PLUG goes into the JACK. A JACK does not go into another JACK.

A microphone doesn't have a "jack" on the end of the cable, it has a
"plug."

Damn, I'm getting tired of this mistake. Too bad they didn't call it a
"jill." Maybe people would be less confused.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

On Feb 20, 10:19 am, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
Please print out this message and stick a copy on your computer:

A JACK is the thing with the hole
A PLUG is the thing with the pins or prongs or tips

The PLUG goes into the JACK. A JACK does not go into another JACK.

A microphone doesn't have a "jack" on the end of the cable, it has a
"plug."

Damn, I'm getting tired of this mistake. Too bad they didn't call it a
"jill." Maybe people would be less confused.

I've heard some Brits (well, George Martin, anyway) refer to it as a
"jackplug." What do you make of that?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On 20 Feb 2007 08:19:13 -0800, "
wrote:

On Feb 20, 10:19 am, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
Please print out this message and stick a copy on your computer:

A JACK is the thing with the hole
A PLUG is the thing with the pins or prongs or tips

The PLUG goes into the JACK. A JACK does not go into another JACK.

A microphone doesn't have a "jack" on the end of the cable, it has a
"plug."

Damn, I'm getting tired of this mistake. Too bad they didn't call it a
"jill." Maybe people would be less confused.

I've heard some Brits (well, George Martin, anyway) refer to it as a
"jackplug." What do you make of that?

That's fine. Plug is the noun, and jack is the adjective. It is a plug
for a jack. And it is jack plug, not jackplug.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Feb 20, 11:19 am, " wrote:

I've heard some Brits (well, George Martin, anyway) refer to it as a
"jackplug." What do you make of that?

At least it has the word "plug" in it so you know that it goes
someplace rather than it IS someplace. It's not a bad description,
actually. But we tend to talk in shorter and shorter words, so it
could get shortened to either "jack" or "plug."

And there we go again.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimPerry TimPerry is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
Please print out this message and stick a copy on your computer:

A JACK is the thing with the hole
A PLUG is the thing with the pins or prongs or tips

The PLUG goes into the JACK. A JACK does not go into another JACK.

A microphone doesn't have a "jack" on the end of the cable, it has a
"plug."

Damn, I'm getting tired of this mistake. Too bad they didn't call it a
"jill." Maybe people would be less confused.

and that's the fact, Jack

....except in radio where plug is an advertisement

Posted to rec.audio.pro

The PLUG goes into the JACK. A JACK does not
go into another JACK.

No, only Ennis goes into Jack.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

TimPerry wrote:

and that's the fact, Jack
...except in radio where plug is an advertisement

Yes, but they also have "traffic managers" who have nothing to do with
those helicopter reports too.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
Please print out this message and stick a copy on your computer:

A JACK is the thing with the hole
A PLUG is the thing with the pins or prongs or tips

The PLUG goes into the JACK. A JACK does not go into another JACK.

A microphone doesn't have a "jack" on the end of the cable, it has a
"plug."

Damn, I'm getting tired of this mistake. Too bad they didn't call it a
"jill." Maybe people would be less confused.

I know aq Jack who goes into another jJack, but that's a different scenario.

WEhat about 'jack-plug' and 'socket' ? Or even 'jacl-socket' ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RDOGuy RDOGuy is offline

On Feb 20, 10:19 am, " wrote:

I've heard some Brits (well, George Martin, anyway) refer to it as a
"jackplug." What do you make of that?

That's easy. Plugs are male. Jacks are female. Jackplugs are David
Bowie.

Too many opportunities for humor today!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimPerry TimPerry is offline

and that's the fact, Jack
...except in radio where plug is an advertisement

Yes, but they also have "traffic managers" who have nothing to do with
those helicopter reports too.
--scott

they all seem pretty high to me. i have one that been hovering in place for
10 years.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rv! Rv! is offline

I know aq Jack who goes into another jJack, but that's a different scenario.
WEhat about 'jack-plug' and 'socket' ? Or even 'jacl-socket' ?
geoff

Tell me you were drunk?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Rv! wrote:
I know aq Jack who goes into another jJack, but that's a different
scenario. WEhat about 'jack-plug' and 'socket' ? Or even
'jacl-socket' ? geoff

No. Rushing - somebody banging on the door. Wasn't Jack though...

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising Roy W. Rising is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote:
Please print out this message and stick a copy on your computer:

A JACK is the thing with the hole
A PLUG is the thing with the pins or prongs or tips

The PLUG goes into the JACK. A JACK does not go into another JACK.

A microphone doesn't have a "jack" on the end of the cable, it has a
"plug."

Damn, I'm getting tired of this mistake. Too bad they didn't call it a
"jill." Maybe people would be less confused.

I heard a recording of the British radio show "My Word" where panelists are
asked to define or explain unfamiliar words to the audience. The question
was "What is the difference between an XLR male and an XLR female?"

After thinking for a moment, the panelist said "An XLR male has ... prongs.
An XLR female ... (long, nervous pause) ... does not". The audience
roared!

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"