Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
bigbilltolbert bigbilltolbert is offline

Default Remote car start via phone?

I'm looking for a way to start my car at the airport when my plane
lands. If I wait until I get to the parking lot, it does not give the
car enough time to warm up. Basically I am looking for a remote
starter where I can call a phone number and have the car start.

There was a thread a few years ago that talked about it, but the
products do not seem to be available any longer. I did find one
product from Viper that looks like it can do it, but it also has GPS
and a lot of other features I don't need and is over $500.

Given that you can get a pager for free and only pay $60/year, it can't
be that hard to put it in your glove box and run a wire to the starter
that triggers it just like the remote that is good for 800 feet.

Anyone?

--bbt

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Frank Olson Frank Olson is offline

bigbilltolbert wrote:
I'm looking for a way to start my car at the airport when my plane
lands. If I wait until I get to the parking lot, it does not give the
car enough time to warm up. Basically I am looking for a remote
starter where I can call a phone number and have the car start.

There was a thread a few years ago that talked about it, but the
products do not seem to be available any longer. I did find one
product from Viper that looks like it can do it, but it also has GPS
and a lot of other features I don't need and is over $500.

Given that you can get a pager for free and only pay $60/year, it can't
be that hard to put it in your glove box and run a wire to the starter
that triggers it just like the remote that is good for 800 feet.

Anyone?

--bbt

How long do you figure it takes for your car to "warm up"?? Where (what
part of the world) are we talking about here?
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
bigbilltolbert bigbilltolbert is offline

I'm talking winter in Pittsburgh. It gets into the 20's in the winter
and it takes about 5 minutes for the car to warm up. The garage at the
airport that I park in is over 500 feet from the terminal. When I
land, I could call the number and since it takes about 5 minutes to
walk through the terminal to my car, it woudl be nice and toasty.

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech

bigbilltolbert wrote:
I'm talking winter in Pittsburgh. It gets into the 20's in the winter
and it takes about 5 minutes for the car to warm up. The garage at the
airport that I park in is over 500 feet from the terminal. When I
land, I could call the number and since it takes about 5 minutes to
walk through the terminal to my car, it woudl be nice and toasty.

We lived in Edmonton for a few years (we're talkin' -40 degrees on more
than a few occasions). That's so cold that you might only have one shot
to get the beast started (and if you forgot to plug in the block heater,
you're "SOL"). If all you have to put up with is 3 - 4 minutes of minor
discomfort, then live with it. You pussies down south don't know cold. :-)
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article .com, "bigbilltolbert" wrote:
I'm looking for a way to start my car at the airport when my plane
lands. If I wait until I get to the parking lot, it does not give the
car enough time to warm up. Basically I am looking for a remote
starter where I can call a phone number and have the car start.

There was a thread a few years ago that talked about it, but the
products do not seem to be available any longer. I did find one
product from Viper that looks like it can do it, but it also has GPS
and a lot of other features I don't need and is over $500.

Given that you can get a pager for free and only pay $60/year, it can't
be that hard to put it in your glove box and run a wire to the starter
that triggers it just like the remote that is good for 800 feet.

Anyone?

Auto Command did make a unit, Design Tech. They did make a remoter from a phone pager
type of devive. Dialed the phone and the car starts from anywhere. Might call them or see if
the service still exists. Well even many remotes work from 600 feet away. Some clain more.
If you hold a remote near a larger metal object, preferably of the same wavelength,
you can get much better range. I often hold a key next to it.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article .com,
"bigbilltolbert" wrote:
[...]

When I installed my AutoCommand, the antenna can be placed anywher you like.
A good place is somwhere which is visbale through the windshied. The best
place is an external antenna. A poor place in under the dash.

greg in da burgh.

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
jcr jcr is offline

On 8/7/2006 3:25 PM ... GregS wrote:
[...]

Great, so someone dials the wrong number and starts your car. By the
time your plane comes in, you're out of gas. Good idea...NOT!
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
brianlanning brianlanning is offline

jcr wrote:
Great, so someone dials the wrong number and starts your car. By the
time your plane comes in, you're out of gas. Good idea...NOT!

You could enter a pin code or something to get around that issue. I
think it's a great idea. You could get a text message or phone call
with a picture when the alarm goes off.

brian

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
bigbilltolbert bigbilltolbert is offline

Great, so someone dials the wrong number and starts your car. By the
time your plane comes in, you're out of gas. Good idea...NOT!

The remote starter I had on my last car would automatically shut the
car off after 15 minutes and I believe that you can set it to a shorter
time if you want.

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
bigbilltolbert bigbilltolbert is offline

I think that I found something that will do it. It is made by Audiovox
and plugs into their starters. You can then call a phone number and
put in your pin and it starts the car. Looks like is it an extra $150,
but comes with the service for the life of the product. SInce my last
starter lasted seven years and was still working when I traded it in,
that would have only been $1.78 a month.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...3462&langId=-1

http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/owners/1286916.pdf

I'll post back here if I get one installed and let you know how it
worked out.

--bbt

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil mastarecoil is offline

I made my own a couple of years ago.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~gkaste/ci1.jpg
_http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~gkaste/ci2.jpg (\"http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~gkaste/ci2.jpg\")_

It was really simple, just a remote control for my normal starter wired
to a relay, timer, and optical sensor. Whenver the phone rang the car
would start. This, of course, meant any call, not just mine would start
the car. I just hid the number, plus it auto shuts off after 20 mins if
no one sticks in a key. I used a prepay phone. Since the call was never
answered, it didnt use any minutes. I made a 1 min call every 2 months
so that my contract wouldnt expire. I just kept this in the trunk (the
cord is just needed every week or so to charge the battery). It was
really great to walk back to a warm car in the middle of the winter.

I had started working on a next gen model. I got a cell phone that I
could program to automatically answer calls, and only on an approved
list (that list would consist of my personal cell phone and home
phone). I was going to make it activate based on key presses. Each key
has a different tone. For example, 1 would be start engine, 2 kill
engine, 3 lock doors, 4 unlock doors, 5 alarm, etc etc. I got busy
though and it never came to be.

Doing it yourself can be a good route, but I am sure that unlike when I
build this, there are plenty of products avalible. Hope you find
something that would work.

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Frank Olson wrote:
bigbilltolbert wrote:

I'm talking winter in Pittsburgh. It gets into the 20's in the winter
and it takes about 5 minutes for the car to warm up. The garage at the
airport that I park in is over 500 feet from the terminal. When I
land, I could call the number and since it takes about 5 minutes to
walk through the terminal to my car, it woudl be nice and toasty.

We lived in Edmonton for a few years (we're talkin' -40 degrees on more
than a few occasions). That's so cold that you might only have one shot
to get the beast started (and if you forgot to plug in the block heater,
you're "SOL"). If all you have to put up with is 3 - 4 minutes of minor
discomfort, then live with it. You pussies down south don't know cold.
:-)

Yeah, "20s" is pretty weak... I grew up in the BC Interior, not quite as cold
(or far north) as Edmonton, but still gets pretty damn cold.

Get a block heater and find somewhere to plug the car in when you park.

Or pack a scarf and a pair of gloves in your carry-on.
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Doug L Doug L is offline

Don't tell me I don't know cold, let me tell you, it gets as cold as 58
degrees here sometimes at night, have to wear a sweatshirt its so chilly

Doug

--

"Frank Olson" wrote in message
bigbilltolbert wrote:
I'm talking winter in Pittsburgh. It gets into the 20's in the winter
and it takes about 5 minutes for the car to warm up. The garage at the
airport that I park in is over 500 feet from the terminal. When I
land, I could call the number and since it takes about 5 minutes to
walk through the terminal to my car, it woudl be nice and toasty.

We lived in Edmonton for a few years (we're talkin' -40 degrees on more
than a few occasions). That's so cold that you might only have one shot
to get the beast started (and if you forgot to plug in the block heater,
you're "SOL"). If all you have to put up with is 3 - 4 minutes of minor
discomfort, then live with it. You pussies down south don't know cold.
:-)

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

bigbilltolbert wrote:

I'm talking winter in Pittsburgh. It gets into the 20's in the winter
and it takes about 5 minutes for the car to warm up. The garage at the
airport that I park in is over 500 feet from the terminal. When I
land, I could call the number and since it takes about 5 minutes to
walk through the terminal to my car, it woudl be nice and toasty.

Nah. I bet you work for the mob and you are just running out of people
to start your car in the morning. ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian
This is the government our founding fathers warned us about.
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

"bigbilltolbert" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm talking winter in Pittsburgh. It gets into the 20's in the winter
and it takes about 5 minutes for the car to warm up. The garage at the
airport that I park in is over 500 feet from the terminal. When I
land, I could call the number and since it takes about 5 minutes to
walk through the terminal to my car, it woudl be nice and toasty.

No it wouldn't be. Idling cars don't warm up that much, and by the way 20
degrees is not cold. (I'm from Buffalo NY, saw those temps often) The only
way to warm it up is to drive it. Make sure the antifreeze is properly
mixed with water too.

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article , mastarecoil wrote:

[...]

Remember all starters should have safegaurds, like open hood shut off.
My starter will shut down if anybody enters the car and tries to get
away. I can leave the car running and take the keys and run into the store
with my heater or aircinditioner running. My starter also turns on the ACC
and headlights before it tries to start, both a warning and lets the fuel pump
get up to pressure. There is the auto start feature which measures
temp to keep the car above freezing. An external antenna will almost
guarentee transmission up to 1000 feet, and I like the 2 way models
now with remote indications of cars status.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech

bigbilltolbert wrote:
I think that I found something that will do it. It is made by Audiovox
and plugs into their starters. You can then call a phone number and
put in your pin and it starts the car. Looks like is it an extra $150,
but comes with the service for the life of the product. SInce my last
starter lasted seven years and was still working when I traded it in,
that would have only been $1.78 a month.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...3462&langId=-1

http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/owners/1286916.pdf

I'll post back here if I get one installed and let you know how it
worked out.

--bbt

In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something
to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even
crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
after that long plane trip...
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Bob Worthy Bob Worthy is offline

In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something
to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even
crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
after that long plane trip...

Just out of curiosity, while the car is idling, is the steering wheel and
gear shift unlocked?

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

"bigbilltolbert" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm talking winter in Pittsburgh. It gets into the 20's in the winter

20's ?????

Heck I've seen temps in the teens down here in the Sonoran Desert on winter
hunting trips.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article XJ0Cg.345089$iF6.83209@pd7tw2no, Frank Olson wrote:
bigbilltolbert wrote:
I think that I found something that will do it. It is made by Audiovox
and plugs into their starters. You can then call a phone number and
put in your pin and it starts the car. Looks like is it an extra $150,
but comes with the service for the life of the product. SInce my last
starter lasted seven years and was still working when I traded it in,
that would have only been $1.78 a month.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...?catalogId=100
01&storeId=10001&productId=13462&langId=-1

http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/owners/1286916.pdf

I'll post back here if I get one installed and let you know how it
worked out.

--bbt

In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something
to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even
crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
after that long plane trip...

Are you also not permitted to drive around in circles, accelerate too fast,
drive too big a car, or have a 4WD, or just joy ride.
In many places you just sit in traffic for far longer times. Its
all about the politicians wanting to look good. Perhaps they should
install automatic turn offs in all vehicles after 3 minutes.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Frank Olson wrote:

In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something
to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even
crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
after that long plane trip...

Another thing to consider: almost all modern car manufacturers recommend NOT
warming up your car for more than 30 seconds before driving.
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Dave Dave is offline

Frank Olson wrote:

In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something
to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even
crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
after that long plane trip...

Until you have walked in someone else's shoes, don't condemn. I used an
off-airport lot here in Pittsburgh when I traveled alot 25 years ago. I
got off the shuttle paid the bill and my car was parked under a canopy
with all the snow cleared off, the car running with the heater,
headlights on, door open and trunk open. This was during a heavy
snowfall and still had to drive home in a blinding storm at 11:30 pm. I
could of kissed all the employees, but this was standard operating
procedure for this outfit. It was worth every cent of my employers money
and priced LESS the the airport lot.

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article 1w3Cg.348081$iF6.315343@pd7tw2no, Matt Ion wrote:
Frank Olson wrote:

In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something
to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even
crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
after that long plane trip...

Another thing to consider: almost all modern car manufacturers recommend NOT
warming up your car for more than 30 seconds before driving.

I read a few posts about warming up. Nothing seems to be really informative, or dangerous.
These seem to be accepted generalizations.

Idling for a while is good, to get the oil going.

Car companies and media are likely to recommend anything that
improves immisions or fuel economy.

Idling may not be the optimum conditions for a running engine.

Warming up produces higher emmisions, and a fast warmup
may lower overall emmisions.

Following people who just started their engines is a pain, watching all that converter
smoke, and their slow driving. Doesn't that make you mad.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
mikey mikey is offline

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Frank Olson wrote:

In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something
to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even
crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
after that long plane trip...

Another thing to consider: almost all modern car manufacturers recommend NOT
warming up your car for more than 30 seconds before driving.

Very true, especially in cold climates. A warm engine working a cold
transmission
is not a good thing.... best everything warms up at the same pace.

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
GregS GregS is offline

Frank Olson wrote:

In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something
to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even
crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
after that long plane trip...

Another thing to consider: almost all modern car manufacturers recommend NOT
warming up your car for more than 30 seconds before driving.

Very true, especially in cold climates. A warm engine working a cold
transmission
is not a good thing.... best everything warms up at the same pace.

Believe me, the transmission is starting to heat also. Thats one of the things
I mentioned before. When I get in start and go, its like it does not
want to go on a grade. Well it has 115K miles on it.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Jim Jim is offline

Bob Worthy wrote:
"Frank Olson" wrote in message
In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something
to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even
crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
after that long plane trip...

Just out of curiosity, while the car is idling, is the steering wheel and
gear shift unlocked?

No.

With mine, you have to put the key in the ignition and turn it on. If
you turn on any big draw electrical item (like headlights) before you
do that, even stepping on the brakes, it will cause the car to shut
off.

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Norm Mugford Norm Mugford is offline

In fourty some years of driving, I've never started my car
to let it warm up and until 19 years ago I lived in Connecticut.
I start it and go.....saves gas and I don't hurt the environment.

Norm Mugford

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

bigbilltolbert wrote:
I'm looking for a way to start my car at the airport when my plane
lands. If I wait until I get to the parking lot, it does not give the
car enough time to warm up. Basically I am looking for a remote
starter where I can call a phone number and have the car start.

There was a thread a few years ago that talked about it, but the
products do not seem to be available any longer. I did find one
product from Viper that looks like it can do it, but it also has GPS
and a lot of other features I don't need and is over $500.

Given that you can get a pager for free and only pay $60/year, it can't
be that hard to put it in your glove box and run a wire to the starter
that triggers it just like the remote that is good for 800 feet.

Anyone?

--bbt

With gasoline price at records levels and the earth temperature rising
because of burning carbon fuels WHY would you want to let your car idle
for 15 minutes. Your car is at it's least efficient when idling at low
temperatures. Just get in the car and drive and the heater will be
working in short order. Good grief!!!

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "Norm Mugford" wrote:
In fourty some years of driving, I've never started my car
to let it warm up and until 19 years ago I lived in Connecticut.
I start it and go.....saves gas and I don't hurt the environment.

Gas consumption is highest before warm up. When you take off right away, it
really guzzles.

If you really want to save gas, do not use the air conditioning, get rid of the big cars, slow down
going up hills, and stay home.

greg

"John S." wrote in message
roups.com...

bigbilltolbert wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Doug L Doug L is offline

I don't have a choice on that one

Doug

--

"GregS" wrote in message

slow down going up hills,.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
John S. John S. is offline

So many reasons to not idle the car at warmup. The greatest wear
occurs when the engine just idles when cold. The engine is running
richer for longer, increasing wear, increasing pollution and shortening
the life of the cayalytic converter. The catalytic converter takes
longer to heat up and the car puts out more emissions.

There must be some reason the owners manual in most cars cautions
against extended idling while warming up.

A simple solution to sitting on a cold seat is to put a thin blanket on
the seat back. Or tough it out for a couple of moments as body heat
quickly warms the seat.

Norm Mugford wrote:
In fourty some years of driving, I've never started my car
to let it warm up and until 19 years ago I lived in Connecticut.
I start it and go.....saves gas and I don't hurt the environment.

Norm Mugford

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

bigbilltolbert wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, "John S." wrote:
So many reasons to not idle the car at warmup. The greatest wear
occurs when the engine just idles when cold. The engine is running
richer for longer, increasing wear, increasing pollution and shortening
the life of the cayalytic converter. The catalytic converter takes
longer to heat up and the car puts out more emissions.

Might run longer, but much less wear than stepping on the gas, and much
less air flowing through the converter. I thinks its universaly agreed that
the oil should warm up before serious torque is applied.

I think you would have to run a serious test in order to make sense of
all these factors. Just thinking what they are is no good.

One of the nicest features of a remote start, its kinda nice to have a little bit
of security when walking toward your vehicle late at night in a seculed parking garage
and you see some shady characters approaching. The sound of a car starting is a
good deterant.

greg

Norm Mugford wrote:
In fourty some years of driving, I've never started my car
to let it warm up and until 19 years ago I lived in Connecticut.
I start it and go.....saves gas and I don't hurt the environment.

Norm Mugford

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

bigbilltolbert wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
alarman alarman is offline

"Doug L" wrote in message
I don't have a choice on that one

Doug

--

"GregS" wrote in message

slow down going up hills,.

greg

You just need a bigger squirrel.
js

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
John S. John S. is offline

GregS wrote:
In article . com, "John S." wrote:
So many reasons to not idle the car at warmup. The greatest wear
occurs when the engine just idles when cold. The engine is running
richer for longer, increasing wear, increasing pollution and shortening
the life of the cayalytic converter. The catalytic converter takes
longer to heat up and the car puts out more emissions.

Might run longer, but much less wear than stepping on the gas, and much
less air flowing through the converter. I thinks its universaly agreed that
the oil should warm up before serious torque is applied.

Not sure what serious torque is. But the owners manual for every car
I've owned indicates that you should begin driving as soon as possible,
but drive gently until the car warms up.

I think you would have to run a serious test in order to make sense of
all these factors. Just thinking what they are is no good.

One of the nicest features of a remote start, its kinda nice to have a little bit
of security when walking toward your vehicle late at night in a seculed parking garage
and you see some shady characters approaching. The sound of a car starting is a
good deterant.

Well, yes there are lots of good deterrents...blackjack, large dog,
gun, starting car, etc.

greg

Norm Mugford wrote:
In fourty some years of driving, I've never started my car
to let it warm up and until 19 years ago I lived in Connecticut.
I start it and go.....saves gas and I don't hurt the environment.

Norm Mugford

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

bigbilltolbert wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car,rec.autos.tech
Agave Agave is offline

Default OT: Using Air Conditioning Wastes Gas - Was: Remote car start viaphone?

GregS wrote:
snipped

Gas consumption is highest before warm up. When you take off right away, it
really guzzles.

If you really want to save gas, do not use the air conditioning, get rid of the big cars, slow down
going up hills, and stay home.

greg

snipped

"But you don't have to feel guilty about cranking up your car's AC.
According to Edmunds.com, the air conditioning compressor does pull
power from the engine wasting some gas, but the effect is minimal in
modern cars. On the other hand, driving with your windows down at high
speeds can create an aerodynamic drag."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/pf/s...llis/index.htm
Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Frank Olson wrote:

In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something
to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even
crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
after that long plane trip...

Another thing to consider: almost all modern car manufacturers recommend NOT
warming up your car for more than 30 seconds before driving.

I read a few posts about warming up. Nothing seems to be really informative, or dangerous.
These seem to be accepted generalizations.

Idling for a while is good, to get the oil going.

That's the "conventional wisdom" but keep in mind, most cars today are using
much lighter multigrade oils (5W-30) than back in the day when everyone just
used straight 30-weights. They don't need to "warm up" to flow properly.

Car companies and media are likely to recommend anything that
improves immisions or fuel economy.

Funny, I'd have thought the car companies would be all about wasting fuel. :P

Idling may not be the optimum conditions for a running engine.

Warming up produces higher emmisions, and a fast warmup
may lower overall emmisions.

Not so much true anymore... once again, with newer cars, computer-controlled
fuel systems mitigate that. Back in the carb days, yes, you had to warm up -
engines didn't burn fuel well when colder, so the choke on your car closed and
locked the idle on high to get a lot more gas through until the engine warmed up
enough for proper combustion, with no real way to control it to actually match
conditions - the choke worked the same whether it was +30 or -30. With
computer-controlled fuel injection, all engine conditions are monitored
constantly, including sampling the exhaust to determine how well the fuel was
burning, and fuel mixture is constantly adjusted accordingly, allowing it to be
optimized even under poor combustion conditions.

The need to allow the engine to "warm up" for proper operation simply doesn't
exist on newer cars.
Posted to rec.audio.car,rec.autos.tech
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Agave wrote:
GregS wrote:

snipped

Gas consumption is highest before warm up. When you take off right
away, it
really guzzles.

If you really want to save gas, do not use the air conditioning, get
rid of the big cars, slow down
going up hills, and stay home.

greg
snipped

"But you don't have to feel guilty about cranking up your car's AC.
According to Edmunds.com, the air conditioning compressor does pull
power from the engine wasting some gas, but the effect is minimal in
modern cars. On the other hand, driving with your windows down at high
speeds can create an aerodynamic drag."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/pf/s...llis/index.htm

Yeah, remember reading a study about this some years ago... they actually used a
highway-patrol division, IIRC, as a case study, since the cops spent a lot of
time at highway speeds: they compared fuel use by those who used the A/C with
the windows up, vs. those who drove with the windows down and no A/C, and found
overall that the A/C used FAR less "extra" gas than the drag created by highway
driving with the windows open.

Obviously the more highway driving you do, the more pronounced the difference;
if all you're doing is city commuting, you'd probably find little or no
difference, or find that the A/C used more gas...

Posted to rec.audio.car,alt.security.alarms,rec.autos.tech
Doug L Doug L is offline

Poor guy just want's to be warm when he gets in his car at the airport, not
a mini series on global warming, environmental damage or the right or wrong
way to warm up a modern engine

Doug

Q: Remote Spike Car Audio 15 September 10th 05 05:38 PM
Need Help.....Clifford RS 3.5 Remote Start Mark S. Car Audio 7 November 27th 03 06:13 PM
Sony STR-DE575, remote selection of 5.1ch input Leadfoot General 0 August 24th 03 12:39 AM
Sony Preamp Remote Control Not Working Jerry Greenberg Audio Opinions 0 August 12th 03 01:12 AM
cakewalk sonar control surface problem with Novation remote control 25 O_Zean Pro Audio 0 July 9th 03 12:12 AM