David F. Rogers

Default VPI HW-19 Mk. III Upgrade Question

I have a VPI HW-19 Mk. III, with PLC and Audioquest PT-8. My question
is about the moving target upgrade to Mk. IV. Since the latest
upgrade kit includes the lighter weight Aries Black Knight platter and
the inverted bearing, is this better than the old TNT platter upgrade
or just different? Should I look for an old kit or go with the new
one? Thanks very much.
Bruce J. Richman

David F. Rogers wrote:

I have a VPI HW-19 Mk. III, with PLC and Audioquest PT-8. My question
is about the moving target upgrade to Mk. IV. Since the latest
upgrade kit includes the lighter weight Aries Black Knight platter and
the inverted bearing, is this better than the old TNT platter upgrade
or just different? Should I look for an old kit or go with the new
one? Thanks very much.

I cannot comment directly upon the upgrade you are considering since I have not
tried it. Unlike some others on this NG, I prefer not to render subjective
opinions on products I've never personally heard. However, here are a few
suggestions based on products I *have* heard (or own).

I initially started with a VPI Jt. coupled with the same Audioquest arm you're
now using. I then had it upgraded to VPI Mark IV status several years ago,
using the same arm but with the TNT platter in use at the time (I think the TNT
III). I kept the same Audioquest arm. The improvement in imaging, solidity of
rhythmic impressions, and overall sense of more transparency was not subtle.
Therefore, in my experience, at least with the VPI tables, the much heavier
platter really can make a significant difference.

While I realize there is a cost differential, have you considered the
possiibility of selling your VPI Mark IV and trying tio find an affordable
Aries/JMW arm combination. That was the route I finally took and have never
regreted it.

Just so you'll have a base of comparison, my current analog rig includes the
followig:

VPI Aries Turntable/ JMW 10" tonearm
Grado Reference (high output) cartridge
Straightwire Maestro phono cable
Conrad Johnson phono stage is the one built into a CJ PV-12 preamplifier

Speakers are Marin Logan CLS II electrostatics.

Since amplifiers all sound the same (sure!), I don't need to specify what mine
is - lol.

Seriously, though, I would also address your question to the Vinyl Asylum
section of the Audio Asylum website. You might also want to consier
subscribing to the Phonogram mailing list - a majordomo controlled list in
which both analog equipment and vinyl recordings are discussed by hobbyists and
manufacturers alike. Harry Weisfeld, the head of VPI, is a contributor there
and often answers questions like the one you've raised.

Bruce J. Richman

Bruce J. Richman

Bruce J. Richman wrote:

David F. Rogers wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention that both with the VPI Mark IV and now with the Aries, I
also use a VPI PLC electronic speed controller.

Bruce J. Richman