Surf

"Arny Krueger" wrote

More like the recording came out of someone's back-side.

You look foolish making comments like this while refusing to
give permission for its release.

but what's new.....

Arny Krueger

Surf wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote

More like the recording came out of someone's back-side.

You look foolish making comments like this while refusing

give permission for its release.

How can I give permission for the release of something about
me that I can't hear?

Clyde Slick wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Arny Krueger wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:

The recording of the Atkinson vs Arny debate at Home
Entertainment 2005 is now available. Go to:
http://www.stereophile.com/news/050905debate/

The web page itself is both funny and more than a little
factual:

"By the end of the hour, if you had been a recent arrival
from another planet and had oriented yourself to life in the
USA by watching action flicks and video games, you would
have been certain that Arnold B. Krueger was God and John
Atkinson was a pathetic girly man."

Hyperbole, anybody?

Bad theology aside, I have to admit that posting this
article on the web puts John Atkinson in my "Good Loser"
hall of fame for all audio history, and foreseeable future
times.

I can now why RAO's self-proclaimed subjectivist clique are
whining about the debate. Their champion got his clock
cleaned, pure and simple.

Not even close.

I say it was a draw. a 0-0 tie. Neither speaker was effective.

Even if that judgement is accepted, it doesn't bode well for good ol'
JA: he had home-field advantage, a crowd sympathetic to his BS and was
both moderator and participant in the debate. And, according to you, he
still only managed a scoreless draw with Arny??? Time for a new
"champion", Art!

Arny Krueger

Clyde Slick wrote:

I say it was a draw. a 0-0 tie.

Given the alleged disadvantages I had coming in the door,
that's really an insult to Atkinson.

Neither speaker was effective.

I would have been more effective had I been able to display
my presentation. It appears that overcame that disadvantage
quite nicely, too.

Surf

"Arny Krueger" wrote

Given that Atkinson has stepped forward as worldwide
distributor of the tape...

If there is a tape, Graham has it. John doesn't have "the tape".
There is no "the tape". It's a flippin recording. It's a file. It's
a recording of you once again making an ass of yourself. Your
voice sounds like that of a teenage nerd. It's the same voice
we hear in "The Debate". Most of us think you sound like a
goon. Malesweski doesn't hear it. He thinks you sound fine.
But he smoked a lot of pot and listened to a lot of loud music
in his day. Now he's a big, ugly, homeless, jobless, near-deaf
hippy with issues. But he loves you, so he's ok.

Arny Krueger

Surf wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote

Given that Atkinson has stepped forward as worldwide
distributor of the tape...

If there is a tape, Graham has it. John doesn't have "the

tape".
There is no "the tape". It's a flippin recording. It's a

file.

Your mastery of the obvious is quite amazing given your
demonstrated stupidity, Surf.

It's a recording of you once again making an ass of

yourself.

Go argue with Art - he says it was draw. Or are you saying
that Atkinson was also making an ass of himself?

Your voice sounds like that of a teenage nerd.

Flattery will get you nowhere. That's the only measure of a
man - the sound of his voice.

It's the same voice we hear in "The Debate".

Prove it.

Most of us think you sound like a goon.

As compared to how you sound, bozo-breath?

Malesweski doesn't hear it. He thinks you sound fine.
But he smoked a lot of pot and listened to a lot of loud

music
in his day. Now he's a big, ugly, homeless, jobless,

near-deaf
hippy with issues. But he loves you, so he's ok.

Who is Maliesweski and why should I care who he is or what
he did?

Clyde Slick

wrote in message
ups.com...

Clyde Slick wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Arny Krueger wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:

[...]

Or time for better debaters. It was just so unfocused. And Arny
certainly left his debating trade manual at home. He would have been
better off boning up on his Schropenhauer than worrying
about any powerpoint presentation!

It was a nonevent, more than being a competition.

And I thought the audience was very very polite to Arny,
I certainly would not call it a hostile crowd. He got a good reception
both before and after the 'debate'.

ScottW

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
ScottW wrote:

Agreed, but if you consider comparing Arny's argument to

his schtick
on RAO.... he clearly failed to support his position.

Thanks for showing that you can't read very well, Scott.

Me and how many others?

You
got it when you heard me say it on the recording, despite
all the times you failted to get it when I posted it on RAO.

I seriously doubt John would have bothered paying your way to NY if he knew
how impotent your argument would be.

In fact he
apparently left John quite perplexed by agreeing that

differences are
a matter of degree.

No, I asserted that unlike what Stereopile and the rest say,
some things sound different, some things don't.

Earth shattering!
Then you thoroughly lost your point by pontificating uselessly about your
procedure to demonstrate sonic signatures.

His argument became a semantic one.

That's what it has always been, once the HE press posturing
is cut away.

His = Arny

ScottW

Lionel

In , Surf wrote :

...he smoked a lot of pot and listened to a lot of loud music
in his day. Now he's a big, ugly, homeless, jobless, near-deaf
hippy with issues...

Are you speaking about Dave Weil ?

Surf

"Arny Krueger" wrote

Surf wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote

More like the recording came out of someone's back-side.

You look foolish making comments like this while refusing

give permission for its release.

How can I give permission for the release of something about
me that I can't hear?

It's not about you. It is you. Give permission and you can hear it.

duh....

Surf

"Arny Krueger" wrote

Malesweski doesn't hear it. He thinks you sound fine.
But he smoked a lot of pot and listened to a lot of loud

music
in his day. Now he's a big, ugly, homeless, jobless,

near-deaf
hippy with issues. But he loves you, so he's ok.

Who is Maliesweski and why should I care who he is or what
he did?

He's your little lapdog, torrie****s. The guy with his
lips on your ass...........

Do try to keep up.

whosbest54

In article . com,
says...

Not that there's anything wrong with the
straight listening you did for your amp decision, if that's what
you want to do and it makes you happy.

But to use is as a basis for discounting DBTs is simply...questionable.

I agree with that. But it is a completely valid reason for his choice
to buy the tube amp. But alas, this is the very thing you guys decry
when push comes to shove. You loathe reviews that draw the same
conclusions.

And I said it was fine for him to make that decision if it made him happy.
Straight listening has a place in determining if you personally like
something and want to buy it - I agree it should be part of the equipment
purchase process. My point is that it's not a scientifically valid process
for determining if the amps sound different and that was one of Arny's
points at the debate. The question is whether it is better to depend on
scientifically valid methods or not to determine if _certain_ equipment
sounds different. As I have said on my web site, there are places for both
a subjective and objective approaches in evaluating audio equipment. For
example, I think subjective listening is better suited to selecting speakers
for a system. Objective testing is better suited to determining if there is
a difference in sound between wires, amps or audio codecs. But, when
selecting equipment one should always do straight listening to everything
you plan to buy and look at audio equipment reviews to see if the equipment
does what it says it does as far as specs go. The audio magazines should do
scientifically valid testing to check specs. Straight listening to amps or
wires is of little value in my opinion as far as discerning differences.
And, again, in many instances those differences can exist but may not be
that important. Purchasers need to understand that and should concentrate
on listening to the parts of their system and setup that really affect sound
- not the amps or wires but the speakers, speaker placement and room
acoustics. They also need to understand that the quality of the source
material has a huge affect on their system's sound quality as well.

whosbest54

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

whosbest54

In article . com,
says...

wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
whosbest54 wrote:
Not that there's anything wrong with the straight listening
you did for your amp decision, if that's what you want to do
and it makes you happy.

But to use is as a basis for discounting DBTs is simply...
questionable.

I agree with that. But it is a completely valid reason for his choice
to buy the tube amp.

Hi Scott, what everyone seems to be ignoring is my point for
mentioning this anecdote. Which was that all the non-sighted
factors worked _against_ my becoming dissatisfied with the Quad.
The solid-state amp was cheaper, smaller, more powerful, ran
cooler, and offered, in my opinion, better industrial design.
So, if these factors were going to have any influence on my
listening, as the "objectivists" repeatedly claim, they would all
have persuaded me that the amplifier was fine. However, as my
increasing disatisfaction was real and I was having to work harder
to appreciate the music through the amplifier, it was this
cognitive dissonance that proved to be the tipping point at which
I changed from a hard-line objectivist -- see an editorial I wrote
in a 1978 issue of HFN for an example -- into someone who realized
the value of listening.

John, I think the point Arny and I have been trying to make is that your
approach isn't a scientifically valid way of proving the amps sounded
different.

I'm sure you were sure you heard what you heard, and I don't doubt it.
But it's not scientifically proven that the SS amp sounded different
than the tube amp. I grant you that they, in fact, might have. The fact
that the original blind test didn't provide that result may have been due
to the way that test was conducted or designed. I don't think your story
invalidates the properly designed and conducted double blind test as a
valid scientific method for determining if amps, wires or audio codecs
sound different.

Besides, you should have been concentrating on your speakers, listening
room acoutics and the quality of your source material before goofing
around with changing amps. If you did, then I give you credit for
trying to optimize what really matters most.

whosbest54 wrote:
[...]

It is a pointless point since no one is touting sighted reviews as
scientifically valid or anything other than perosnal opinions.

The question is whether it is better to depend on
scientifically valid methods or not to determine if _certain_

equipment
sounds different.

Clearly, in this case, it was better not to depend on the dbt since it
wrought a result that ended in owner dissatisfatcion.

As I have said on my web site, there are places for both
a subjective and objective approaches in evaluating audio equipment.

For
example, I think subjective listening is better suited to selecting

speakers
for a system.

Why? They are every bit as subject to sighted bias effects? Why would
you not want to avoid those ill effects then? Seems rather random
choice to me.

Objective testing is better suited to determining if there is
a difference in sound between wires, amps or audio codecs. But, when

selecting equipment one should always do straight listening to

everything
you plan to buy and look at audio equipment reviews to see if the

equipment
does what it says it does as far as specs go. The audio magazines

should do
scientifically valid testing to check specs. Straight listening to

amps or
wires is of little value in my opinion as far as discerning

differences.

You are entitled to that opinion and you are free to skip that part of
a review. How would *that* view have helped Jon in his situation with
the Quad amp?

And, again, in many instances those differences can exist but may not

be
that important. Purchasers need to understand that and should

concentrate
on listening to the parts of their system and setup that really

affect sound
- not the amps or wires but the speakers, speaker placement and room
acoustics. They also need to understand that the quality of the

source
material has a huge affect on their system's sound quality as well.

whosbest54

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

Scott Wheeler

EddieM

Arny Krueger wrote
Signal wrote:
"Lionel" emitted :

It's not illegal.

Even if the so-called recording has been done behind

Krueger's back ?

Correct.

More like the recording came out of someone's back-side.

Hellloo. I've listen to the recorded Debate this a.m. but couldn't
make out what the question ask by the audience where. Maybe
it has been pointed out what those question where among the
threads here regarding the Debate. I hope that it had been.
Well...... been so busy lately.

This Debate is important because it address why audio
newsgroups are, at the moment, in total wreck. But you knew
that.

Michael Conzo

In article , "whosbest54"
wrote:

The audio magazines should do
scientifically valid testing to check specs. Straight listening to amps or
wires is of little value in my opinion as far as discerning differences.

True.

But note there is little "testing" that can relate to human hearing. Little
is known about how the ear/brain system works so many of the measurements
propounded by the audio industry means little in any evaluation.

Arny Krueger

whosbest54 wrote:
In article

,

Straight listening has a place in determining if you
personally like something and want to buy it - I agree it

should be
part of the equipment purchase process.

So-called straight listening or more specifically sighted
evaluation, is unquestionably applicable in those cases
where equipment and systems unquestionably sound different.
For example, comparing loudspeakers and microphones often
involves equipment that unquestionably sounds different.
Even when equipment unquestionably sounds different, blind
testing techniques can be profitably used to address
listener bias, as has been done by Dr. Floyd Toole and
others.

Despite the endless anti-scientific posturing that I find in
Stereophile and the high end press in general, not
everything unquestionably sounds different. As has been
pointed out here by James Johnson and ITU Recommendation BS
1116, blind testing is the only valid means for performing
such evaluations.

My point is that it's not a
scientifically valid process for determining if the amps

sound
different and that was one of Arny's points at the debate.

Right. It's clear to me that John Atkinson and Stereophile
and the high end press have arrogantly, ignorantly, and
unwisely set themselves up as superior authorities to much
of the audio industry that agrees with the findings and
procedures of Dr. Floyd Toole, Dr. Stanley Lip****z, Jim
Johnson and the ITU. For example, John Atkinson and his
ragazine are routinely belittled when they aren't being
ignored by most of the leadership of the AES and ASA.

The question is whether it is better to depend on

scientifically valid
methods or not to determine if _certain_ equipment sounds

different.
As I have said on my web site, there are places for both a

subjective
and objective approaches in evaluating audio equipment.

So-called objective or more specifically test
equipment-based approaches to equipment evaluation suffer
from an obvious flaw. They are an abstraction of the hearing
process, based on science and math. While they are very much
responsible for almost all of the technical progress that we
enjoy today, Science and Math are themselves somewhat
subjective in the sense that they are based on human thought
and perceptions, and therefore they regrettably are
imperfect abstractions of the human hearing process.

For example,
I think subjective listening is better suited to selecting

speakers
for a system.

I'll quibble with the exact choice of words. We don't select
speakers for an audio system, we actually select speakers
for a certain position within a room. While the room is
arguably the strongest or one of the two strongest
determining factors when it comes to sound quality, it is
not commonly acquired as part of what most people think as
being an audio system.

Objective testing is better suited to determining if
there is a difference in sound between wires, amps or

audio codecs.

Actually, there is no controversy in the relevent parts of
the audio industry over the idea that audio codecs should be
first and foremost evaluated using listening tests.

But, when selecting equipment one should always do

straight listening
to everything you plan to buy and look at audio equipment

reviews to
see if the equipment does what it says it does as far as

specs go.

At this point about the only thing that a listening test can
tell you about wires, electronics, and digital players is
whether they are grotesquely broken or a highly defective
design (e.g. SETs) or things like that. If you presume that
your supply chain is even minimally competent by modern
standards, listening to receivers, amplifiers and digital
players is an act of futility. If you want to evaluate how
the controls of a CD player work in the store, that makes
sense. But because of the impact of the room on loudspeaker
performance, even listening to loudspeakers in a store is
actually pretty futile.

The audio magazines should do scientifically valid testing

to check
specs. Straight listening to amps or wires is of little

value in my
opinion as far as discerning differences.

The audible differences between even marginally-competent
amps and wires is small or non-existent.

And, again, in many
instances those differences can exist but may not be that

important.

Most perceived difference between even marginally-competent
amps and wires are the products of the natural operation of
the human perceptual apparatus, not due to any inherent
audible equipment differences that some may claim exists.

Purchasers need to understand that and should concentrate

on
listening to the parts of their system and setup that

really affect
sound - not the amps or wires but the speakers, speaker

placement and
room acoustics.

Exactly.

They also need to understand that the quality of the
source material has a huge affect on their system's sound

quality as
well.

Precisely.

John Atkinson

Arny Krueger wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:
what everyone seems to be ignoring is my point for
mentioning this anecdote. Which was that all the
non-sighted factors worked _against_ my becoming
dissatisfied with the Quad.

Horsefeathers.

How sad, another objectivist is forced to deny circumstances.
Horsefeathers is a very compelling argument Arny. Use it on
all subjectivists when they relate their experiences to you.
The converts will just pile up.

Arny is obviously getting rattled. We've already had him issue
the usual sockpuppet accusations. Pretty soon, Tom Nousaine
will appear on the scene mumbling about capacitor tests. :-)

The solid-state amp was cheaper, smaller, more powerful,
ran cooler, and offered, in my opinion, better industrial
design.

Failure to note the endemic high end predjudice against of
all of these factors noted.

Failure to acknowledge JA's position on those factors at the
time.

How come no-one gets the point of this anecdote, which is that it
pits two core beliefs of the believers in "scientism" against
each other? 1) That a blind test reveals the true situation
about audible amplifier differences; 2) that sighted listening
is dominated by non-audio factors, the so-called "Placebo Effect."

To explain my Damascene experience, you have to accept that either
the blind test was flawed, in which case all the reports that cited
that 1978 test as "proving" the amplifiers sounded the same were
wrong, or that the non-audio factors were irrelevant, in which case
the criticisms of sighted listening based on that factor are
wrong.

you are now forced to call him a liar or claim you know what was
in his head better than he did.

Well, there is always _that_ possibility. But note that in person
even Arny refrained from calling me a liar to my face. Now he's
back behind the safety of his PC, he returns to his usal form. :-)

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

John Atkinson

Arny Krueger wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
How about proof positive that Atkinson has posted
as Jamie Benchimol? ;-)

Ancient Chines proverb says that when Arny Krueger
gets rattled, out comes the accusations of
sockpuppetting on the part of those doing the
rattling. :-)

No Mr. Krueger, not only have I not posted as
"Jamie Benchimol," I haven't posted under any
name other than my own. And despite your repeated
accusations along these lines, it is fair to
point out that you have never, ever offered one
shred of proof to support those accusations.

Proof positive - Jamie Benchemol was doing British humor
schtick.

No, not only have you not offered any evidence that Jamie
Benchimol and I were doing "British humor schtick," but
even if we did, that would only reduce the possibility
that we were the same person to around one in 100 million.
I find it sad but typical, Mr. Krueger, that while you
were polite to me in person in NY, now you're back behind
the safety of your PC monitor, you resort to the insults
and the accusations of lying.

It appears that despite the bluster, you're just another
Internet blowhard, after all. :-(

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Arny Krueger

John Atkinson wrote:

I find it sad but typical, Mr. Krueger, that while you
were polite to me in person in NY, now you're back behind
the safety of your PC monitor, you resort to the insults
and the accusations of lying.

Look John, my behavious in New Your was what it was because
in New York you were a somewhat brain-dead, incompetent,
flustered but still maginally polite person.

Now John, you've turned completely nasty again, so you're
getting just a fraction what you give.

Arny Krueger

John Atkinson wrote:

How come no-one gets the point of this anecdote, which is

that it
pits two core beliefs of the believers in "scientism"

against
each other? 1) That a blind test reveals the true

situation
about audible amplifier differences; 2) that sighted

listening
is dominated by non-audio factors, the so-called "Placebo

Effect."

Because it doesn't.

There's no reliable evidence at all that the Quad 405 had
any technical problems at all.

Ironically, the Quad 405 may have been having technical
problems, but appropriate evidence was never gathered.

Or, perhaps the replacement tubed amp had audible technical
problems that Atkinson happens to like the sound of, as are
evidenced by SET amplifiers that his magazine tirelessly
promotes.

John Atkinson

Bruce C. Miller wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:
The recording of the Atkinson vs Arny debate at Home
Entertainment 2005 is now available. Go to:
http://www.stereophile.com/news/050905debate/

Will there be a video version of this or not?

No, we didn't video the debate. Sorry.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Clyde Slick

"whosbest54" wrote in message

John, I think the point Arny and I have been trying to make is that your
approach isn't a scientifically valid way of proving the amps sounded
different.

That's not the point. Not at all.
BTW, your propellor is out of synch.

Lionel

In , Signal wrote :

"Lionel" said to Surf:

...he smoked a lot of pot and listened to a lot of loud music
in his day. Now he's a big, ugly, homeless, jobless, near-deaf
hippy with issues...

Are you speaking about Dave Weil ?

No he wasn't, but *you* are.

Nyah-nyah-nyah! :-)

NYA HA HA ! NYA HA HA ! NYA HA HA !

;-)
Arny Krueger

John Atkinson wrote:
Bruce C. Miller wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:
The recording of the Atkinson vs Arny debate at Home
Entertainment 2005 is now available. Go to:
http://www.stereophile.com/news/050905debate/

Will there be a video version of this or not?

No, we didn't video the debate. Sorry.

I thought this was good, because the pictures of John make
him look bad enough.

BTW John, is that just a bad comb-over or a hairpiece?

dave weil

On Tue, 10 May 2005 08:31:52 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

John Atkinson wrote:
Bruce C. Miller wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:
The recording of the Atkinson vs Arny debate at Home
Entertainment 2005 is now available. Go to:
http://www.stereophile.com/news/050905debate/

Will there be a video version of this or not?

No, we didn't video the debate. Sorry.

I thought this was good, because the pictures of John make
him look bad enough.

BTW John, is that just a bad comb-over or a hairpiece?

I don't know but did you steal your outfit from a pinp? If so, you
forgot the wide-brimmed hat and mink coat.

dave weil

On Tue, 10 May 2005 04:41:02 +0200, Lionel
wrote:

In , Surf wrote :

...he smoked a lot of pot and listened to a lot of loud music
in his day. Now he's a big, ugly, homeless, jobless, near-deaf
hippy with issues...

Are you speaking about Dave Weil ?

Still can't get the wife to orgasm I see.
Surf

"Arny Krueger" wrote

John Atkinson wrote:

I find it sad but typical, Mr. Krueger, that while you
were polite to me in person in NY, now you're back behind
the safety of your PC monitor, you resort to the insults
and the accusations of lying.

Look John, my behavious in New Your was what it was because
in New York you were a somewhat brain-dead, incompetent,
flustered but still maginally polite person.

No Arny, John's correct. You're a chicken **** coward.
You say things and behave on the Internet in a way you
wouldn't in person. You're about as brave as your little
buddy torrie****s was before we found out where he lives
and who he cares about.

Surf

"Arny Krueger" wrote

BTW John, is that just a bad comb-over or a hairpiece?

Oh - how brave you are now!

John Atkinson

EddieM wrote:
I've listen to the recorded Debate this a.m. but couldn't
make out what the question ask by the audience where.

Hi Eddie, the audience questions occurred at approximately
31:10, 40:35; 45:00; 47:45; 50:50; 54:00; 55:25; 57:05; and
61:10.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Arny Krueger wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:

How come no-one gets the point of this anecdote, which is

that it
pits two core beliefs of the believers in "scientism"

against
each other? 1) That a blind test reveals the true

situation
about audible amplifier differences; 2) that sighted

listening
is dominated by non-audio factors, the so-called "Placebo

Effect."

Because it doesn't.

Well, actually it does. Whether or not Jon's reaction to the Quad amp
was based on actual sound or a placebo effect the objectivist position
does not offer hima solution where as the subjectivist position , judge
components based on how you actually use them did solve his problem.

There's no reliable evidence at all that the Quad 405 had
any technical problems at all.

And there is no reliable evidnece that says it sounded the same. The
problem is either way Jon still had a problem with the Quad. If you can
find a better solution than the one Jon found via a subjectivist method
please fill us in.

Ironically, the Quad 405 may have been having technical
problems, but appropriate evidence was never gathered.

Ironically that was irrelevat to the problem or the solution to that
problem.

Or, perhaps the replacement tubed amp had audible technical
problems that Atkinson happens to like the sound of, as are
evidenced by SET amplifiers that his magazine tirelessly
promotes.

Now that would be a straw man since Jon had not yet used the tube amp
in his system before having a problem with the Quad amp. But if this
were the case then there would have been audible differences and the
blind test simply failed him as he claims in his quest for better
sound.

Scott Wheeler

P.S. since your objectivist approach to audio offers no solutions to
this problem I would expect the usual posturing, name calling and
accusations of falsehoods to follow. Who knows maybe you'll find typos
and spelling errors to harp on. I will bet you can offer no real
solution to the problem Jon faced when he found the Quad unsatisfying.
Feel free to prove me wrong.

Bruce C. Miller

Arny Krueger wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:
Bruce C. Miller wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:
The recording of the Atkinson vs Arny debate at Home
Entertainment 2005 is now available. Go to:
http://www.stereophile.com/news/050905debate/

Will there be a video version of this or not?

No, we didn't video the debate. Sorry.

I thought this was good, because the pictures of John make
him look bad enough.

BTW John, is that just a bad comb-over or a hairpiece?

Only being a part-time audiophile and not a member of the generation
that most people who post here are from, I've not really followed the
arguing on this NG until I listened to this file. Since not many people
seem to be giving the proper credit, I'll just say I thought you did an
excellent job at this debate. I haven't really thought much about the
objectivist vs subjectivist argument, but I'm pretty convinced the
subjectivist approach is not for me, especially after listening to both
sides. I picked up a subscription to Stereophile when I got into the
hobby less than a year ago (someone recommended I subscribe), and was
rather shocked at the rather ridiculous vocabulary of adjectives
assigned to components like amps and cables. After a couple months, I
found myself just reading the first few paragraphs of reviews that
would describe the products in general and looking at the pretty
pictures, because the listening reports were pratically meaningless to
me. Anyway, keep up the good work.

John "unctuous" Atkinson wrote:

snipped

I find it sad but typical, Mr. Krueger, that while you
were polite to me in person in NY, now you're back behind
the safety of your PC monitor, you resort to the insults
and the accusations of lying.

It appears that despite the bluster, you're just another
Internet blowhard, after all. :-(

Gee, John, I didn't hear you asking Arny if he "had something to say to
[your] face" at the debate. Instead, you were polite and civil. Arny
responded in kind. If he's an "internet blowhard", so are you.

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, those are the people
we're after." - excerpted from the $tereopile mission statement

Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

Or, perhaps the replacement tubed amp had audible technical
problems that Atkinson happens to like the sound of,

You call it problems, another calls it "character".
This is the root of the difference between sub and ob.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Arny Krueger

Arny Krueger wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:

How come no-one gets the point of this anecdote, which

is that it
pits two core beliefs of the believers in "scientism"

against
each other? 1) That a blind test reveals the true

situation
about audible amplifier differences; 2) that sighted

listening
is dominated by non-audio factors, the so-called

"Placebo
Effect."

Because it doesn't.

Well, actually it does.

Na-na-na-na.

Whether or not Jon's reaction to the Quad amp
was based on actual sound or a placebo effect the

objectivist position
does not offer him a solution where as the subjectivist

position ,
judge components based on how you actually use them did

solve his
problem.

This paragraph is wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

First off, John's name isn't Jon, but that's just a symptom
of Scotty's ongoing inability to get even the simplest
detail right.

Secondly, my position is not the objectivist position. In
fact my position is a logical combination of most of the
elements of the true (not Atkinson's self-serving and
commercialized version of the) subjectivist position, and
most of the elements of the true not Atkinson's self-serving
and commercialized version of the) objectivist position

Thirdly, the meeting of objectivist and subjectivist
positions that I laid out at the beginning of the debate
does offer him a reliable general solution.

Fourthly, Atkinson's self-serving and commercialized version
of the subjectivist position does not provide a reliable
general solution.

There's no reliable evidence at all that the Quad 405 had
any technical problems at all.

And there is no reliable evidnece that says it sounded the

same.

Never said it did. Furthermore, if I do any tests of any
kind with a 405 that I can borrow, there's no guarantee that
they would be representative of the 405 that Atkinson had.
AFAIK he never did any comprehensive testing of it at the
time he was making decisions about it, subjective or with
test equipment.

The problem is either way Jon still had a problem with

the Quad.

He had a problem but we don't have a clue what the true
nature of that problem was. It could have been a defective
unit, all Quad 405s could be substandard, or maybe all that
was happening is that something was going on in Atkinson's
head.

If you can find a better solution than the one Jon found

via a subjectivist
method please fill us in.

The better solution would involve applyling "10
Requirements for a Sensitive and Reliable Listening Test" as
found at
www.pcabx.com .

Ironically, the Quad 405 may have been having technical
problems, but appropriate evidence was never gathered.

Ironically that was irrelevat to the problem or the

solution to that
problem.

I'm quite sure that it wasn't irrelevat, since there is no
such word.

Or, perhaps the replacement tubed amp had audible

technical
problems that Atkinson happens to like the sound of, as

are
evidenced by SET amplifiers that his magazine tirelessly
promotes.

Now that would be a straw man since Jon had not yet used

the tube amp
in his system before having a problem with the Quad amp.

That would be a red herring. We don't know what Atkinson's
experiences with tubed amps were up until that point. Since
only the comparison of the performance of the two amps is
germaine to our discussion, past events need not be
considered.

But if this were the case then there would have been

audible differences and the
blind test simply failed him as he claims in his quest

for better sound.

The bottom line is that:

(1) Atkinson presumed a problem but did not adequately prove
that it existed in the first place.
(2) Atkinson presumed a solution to his alleged problem but
did not adequately prove that it efficacious.
(3) Atkinson then merged his unfounded presumptions into a
life's philosophy.
(4) This all happened so long ago that almost everything
relevant has changed substantially since then. For example,
nobody in his right mind would build an amp like the
origional Quad 405 today. Simple application of modern
technology would result in a vastly better amplifier.

Arny Krueger

Surf wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote

BTW John, is that just a bad comb-over or a hairpiece?

Oh - how brave you are now!

I see that John is jumping right up to address the issue!
;-)

whosbest54

In article .com,
says...

My point is that it's not a scientifically valid process
for determining if the amps sound different and that was one of Arny's
points at the debate.

It is a pointless point since no one is touting sighted reviews as
scientifically valid or anything other than perosnal opinions.

Are you sure about this? I think it's clear that John's point is that a
scientifically valid approach isn't valid and can be replaced by a
non-scientific one for the same purposes - to see if 2 amps sound
different.

The question is whether it is better to depend on
scientifically valid methods or not to determine if _certain_
equipment sounds different.

Clearly, in this case, it was better not to depend on the dbt since it
wrought a result that ended in owner dissatisfatcion.

Then the question is why did that occur in John's case. There may have
been problems with the blind testing that was done. There are other
possible reasons it occurred. The point is this isn't a reason to throw
out a scientifically valid method and only depend on straight
(sighted) listening, which is what John did.

As I have said on my web site, there are places for both
a subjective and objective approaches in evaluating audio equipment.
For example, I think subjective listening is better suited to selecting
speakers for a system.

Why? They are every bit as subject to sighted bias effects? Why would
you not want to avoid those ill effects then? Seems rather random
choice to me.

Yes, you are right for the purposes of doing a scientific test to
determine if 2 sets of speakers sound different. But the majority of hom
audio purchasers won't have the ability to do so when selecting speakers.

I was parphrasing my web guide. The guide is aimed at the majority of
home audio enthusiasts for the circumstances when they are out looking at
equipment and selecting what they want to purchase. They should do
straight listening to speakers, ideally in the location where they will
reside, which unfortunately isn't always easy to setup.

Objective testing is better suited to determining if there is
a difference in sound between wires, amps or audio codecs. But, when
selecting equipment one should always do straight listening to
everything you plan to buy and look at audio equipment reviews to see
if the equipment
does what it says it does as far as specs go. The audio magazines
should do scientifically valid testing to check specs. Straight
listening to amps or wires is of little value in my opinion as far as
discerning differences.

You are entitled to that opinion and you are free to skip that part of
a review. How would *that* view have helped Jon in his situation with
the Quad amp?

For example, bench testing results for the 2 amps would tell you if they
deliver the power they are rated at. I'm sure John wouldn't want to be
selecting an amp that didn't meet the power requirements for the speakers
he wanted to drive.

whosbest54

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

Lionel

wrote:

In , Surf wrote :

...he smoked a lot of pot and listened to a lot of loud music
in his day. Now he's a big, ugly, homeless, jobless, near-deaf
hippy with issues...

Are you speaking about Dave Weil ?

Still can't get the wife to orgasm I see.

You see ?
Good perhaps you will use 2 kleenex tonight. ;-)

dave weil

wrote:

In , Surf wrote :

...he smoked a lot of pot and listened to a lot of loud music
in his day. Now he's a big, ugly, homeless, jobless, near-deaf
hippy with issues...

Are you speaking about Dave Weil ?

Still can't get the wife to orgasm I see.

You see ?
Good perhaps you will use 2 kleenex tonight. ;-)

Oh, are you planning to blow Arnold again? You'll only need me to loan
you one kleenex.

whosbest54 wrote:
In article .com,
says...

My point is that it's not a scientifically valid process
for determining if the amps sound different and that was one of

Arny's
points at the debate.

It is a pointless point since no one is touting sighted reviews as
scientifically valid or anything other than perosnal opinions.

Are you sure about this?

I'm pretty sure. But if you know any subjective reviewers that claim
their opinions are somthing more than just opinions please point them
out. I'll get right in line to tell them they are full of it.

I think it's clear that John's point is that a
scientifically valid approach isn't valid and can be replaced by a
non-scientific one for the same purposes - to see if 2 amps sound
different.

I think Jon's point was that an objectivist method of selecting amps
failed him as an audiophile trying to enjoy listening to music at home.
The subjectivist method fixed the problem. Again, if you can find a
solution for the problem Jon cited please feel free to present it. So
far all any objectivists have offered is inferences and accusations of
dishonesty on Jon's part or alternative explinations of cause that
offer nothing as a solution.

The question is whether it is better to depend on
scientifically valid methods or not to determine if _certain_
equipment sounds different.

Clearly, in this case, it was better not to depend on the dbt since

it
wrought a result that ended in owner dissatisfatcion.

Then the question is why did that occur in John's case.

No the question is how does an audiophile solve this problem. Jon did
it by using subjectivists methods.

There may have
been problems with the blind testing that was done.

Which would be a failure of the objectivist method. This is a possible
problem that is present in every dbt but particularly present when in
the hands of amatuers.

There are other
possible reasons it occurred.

True, but what was the objectivist solution to the problem?

The point is this isn't a reason to throw
out a scientifically valid method and only depend on straight
(sighted) listening, which is what John did.

You mean he should have settled for the dissatisfying sound he was
stuck with? No thank you.

As I have said on my web site, there are places for both
a subjective and objective approaches in evaluating audio

equipment.
For example, I think subjective listening is better suited to

selecting
speakers for a system.

Why? They are every bit as subject to sighted bias effects? Why

would
you not want to avoid those ill effects then? Seems rather random
choice to me.

Yes, you are right for the purposes of doing a scientific test to
determine if 2 sets of speakers sound different. But the majority of

hom
audio purchasers won't have the ability to do so when selecting

speakers.

I see if it's hard then we don't bother worrying about the effects of
sighted bias.

I was parphrasing my web guide. The guide is aimed at the majority

of
home audio enthusiasts for the circumstances when they are out

looking at
equipment and selecting what they want to purchase. They should do
straight listening to speakers, ideally in the location where they

will
reside, which unfortunately isn't always easy to setup.

Maybe they should do it for all components so they don't run into the
same problem as did Jon.

[...]

And when the Quad proves to be powerful enough what then? He still buys
the Quad by your method and still ends up dissatisfied. You haven't
solved the problem with objevctivist methods. OTOH I'm pretty sure that
Jon would advise audiophiles to buy amps that meet the speakers minimum
requirements for power. I think he would say that then and now.

Scott Wheeler