Johan Wagener

Default speaker protection

Is there a circuit that can be built to protect speakers from being blown
given the amps output power (rms) and the speakers max power?

Scott Johnson

it would be possible to use a fuse to protect the speaker.

"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
Is there a circuit that can be built to protect speakers from being blown
given the amps output power (rms) and the speakers max power?

Johan Wagener

could you give more detail please?

Mark Zarella

Johan Wagener wrote:
could you give more detail please?

Put a fuse between the amplifier and speaker. The size can be estimated
by using the formula P = I^2 * Z. It would have some meaning as long as
the power ratings you're working with reflect the real world.

cyrus

In article ,
Mark Zarella wrote:

Johan Wagener wrote:
could you give more detail please?

Put a fuse between the amplifier and speaker. The size can be estimated
by using the formula P = I^2 * Z. It would have some meaning as long as
the power ratings you're working with reflect the real world.

heh.. that was going to be my question. how would you figure out the
correct fuse size.

i've seen fuses in some pa/studio enclosures.. hell i think parts
express has the panels with em built in.

but all of this when you can just turn it down, i don't get it.

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Pug Fugley

Turning down the volume when you have audible distortion is the best way to
not blow a speaker.

But keep in mind that way more speakers are blown with too little power than
with too much power. In fact I'd say it's rare to blow a subwoofer with too
much power. Most folks just get el crapo amps and drive them into clipping
therefore sending the speaker a sqaure wave and that will pop a voice coil
in a heartbeat.

"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
Is there a circuit that can be built to protect speakers from being blown
given the amps output power (rms) and the speakers max power?

cyrus

In article .net,
"Pug Fugley" wrote:

Turning down the volume when you have audible distortion is the best way to
not blow a speaker.

i concur.

But keep in mind that way more speakers are blown with too little power than
with too much power. In fact I'd say it's rare to blow a subwoofer with too
much power. Most folks just get el crapo amps and drive them into clipping
therefore sending the speaker a sqaure wave and that will pop a voice coil
in a heartbeat.

hehe here we go again..

for about a week i had an old zapco 25x2 amp running full range (no
x-over) on a cheap aw1200 audiobahn sub. did all i could to fry one of
em just to see what would happen and nothing.

i'd say the biggest killer is heat. if you can heat up the voice coil
enough, of course something is gonna happen to it.

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Soundfreak03

Turning down the volume when you have audible distortion is the best way to
not blow a speaker.

True.

But keep in mind that way more speakers are blown with too little power than
with too much power. In fact I'd say it's rare to blow a subwoofer with too
much power. Most folks just get el crapo amps and drive them into clipping
therefore sending the speaker a sqaure wave and that will pop a
voice coil
in a heartbeat

Wrong. Underpowering Will NOT blow a speaker. There are a number of factors
that can allow your "100" watt amp to blow your "500" watt speaker, not the
least of which is the typical manufactures, well sneaky, ways of rating thier
products and the often overly inflated ratings of speakers.
The square wave in and of iteself does not blow speakers.
What you are talking about is an audio myth, underpowering does not damage
speakers by itself. I dont know anyone who has blown thier subs by
"underpowering" them but I know several, including some myself, that have blown
with too MUCH power.

Pug Fugley

"cyrus" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Pug Fugley" wrote:

Turning down the volume when you have audible distortion is the best way

not blow a speaker.

i concur.

But keep in mind that way more speakers are blown with too little power

than
with too much power. In fact I'd say it's rare to blow a subwoofer with

too
much power. Most folks just get el crapo amps and drive them into

clipping
therefore sending the speaker a sqaure wave and that will pop a voice

coil
in a heartbeat.

hehe here we go again..

for about a week i had an old zapco 25x2 amp running full range (no
x-over) on a cheap aw1200 audiobahn sub. did all i could to fry one of
em just to see what would happen and nothing.

Well..if you want to send a dirty, clipped, distorted, raw DC signal to a
speaker, a Zapco amp is the LAST amp you want to use. Zapco has to be the
cleanest power on the planet

Mark Zarella

Well..if you want to send a dirty, clipped, distorted, raw DC signal to a
speaker, a Zapco amp is the LAST amp you want to use. Zapco has to be the
cleanest power on the planet

No offense, but...what a crock.

First, if your amp is delivering DC to your speaker, then the amp is
broken. Even if you're driving the amp substantially into clipping
causing your waveform to resemble a square wave as you've stated, there
is not a DC component in the signal. If your meter is reading DC, it's
time to send your amplifier in to service.

Second, amplifiers are no more or less likely to be driven into clipping
if they're Zapcos or Jensens. If you're saturated, you're saturated.
I fail to see how the name on the front is going to prevent saturation
to any noticeable degree. I think you're probably confusing noise and
saturation, two very different and unrelated quantities.

Oh yeah, and what soundfreak said.

Pug Fugley

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Uhhh...yeah. So an amp driven into clipping will never blow a speaker? I
don't think so.

Soundfreak03

Uhhh...yeah. So an amp driven into clipping will never blow a speaker? I
don't think so.

Did you read my post?? I already answered that question. Clipping in and of
itself does NOT blow a speaker.
And noone ever said Never, but I will promise that underpowering a speaker will
not blow it.
If you think it does then explain how. Obviously you think the opposite. Offer
your explanation then or else it just appears you have no clue what your
talking about. Not saying you dont but your reply is typical of someone who
does not know.

Les
Pug Fugley

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
Uhhh...yeah. So an amp driven into clipping will never blow a speaker? I
don't think so.

Did you read my post?? I already answered that question. Clipping in and

of
itself does NOT blow a speaker.
And noone ever said Never, but I will promise that underpowering a speaker

will
not blow it.
If you think it does then explain how. Obviously you think the opposite.

Offer
your explanation then or else it just appears you have no clue what your
talking about. Not saying you dont but your reply is typical of someone

who
does not know.

I think you heard me wrong.

Underpowering a speaker will NOT blow it..what the hell is 'underpowering' a
speaker, anyway?!?!

Buying a 25 watt Pyramid amp, then driving it into distortion and clipping
tyring to make it drive a 15" sub can blow it. Plain and simple. I've seen
it too many times over the past 12 years.

Soundfreak03

Buying a 25 watt Pyramid amp, then driving it into distortion and clipping
tyring to make it drive a 15" sub can blow it. Plain and simple. I've seen
it too many times over the past 12 years.

How????? Offer some sort of explanation other than "I have seen it"
You just believe in audio myths.
What 15 inch speaker? A good 15" speaker will not be blown by a 25 watt amp.
Just go ahead and attempt to explain how it could happen. And then I will tell
you scientifically and factually how it cant.
Tell me how clipping will "pop a voice coil"??

I think you are confusing things and mixing up myth with reality. You going to
have to provide more evidence than "I have seen it". That just wont cut it with
me or anyone else that knows better.

Les
cyrus

In article . net,
"Pug Fugley" wrote:

for about a week i had an old zapco 25x2 amp running full range (no
x-over) on a cheap aw1200 audiobahn sub. did all i could to fry one of
em just to see what would happen and nothing.

Well..if you want to send a dirty, clipped, distorted, raw DC signal to a
speaker, a Zapco amp is the LAST amp you want to use. Zapco has to be the
cleanest power on the planet

nuh uh, my deck is ok. the signal going to the amp was ok, i just turned
the gains on the amp to max. hell it was only 25x2 hehe

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Soundfreak03

Well..if you want to send a dirty, clipped, distorted, raw DC signal to a
speaker,

BTW: There is NO DC component to a clipped or distorted signal. Your amp is
faulty if there is DC at the outputs.

And if a Zapco has DC at the output then you should do the only decent thing
and retire it with a proper burial and funeral service, I would attend.

Les
Pug Fugley

[...]

I've seen it, and every magazine article I've read about it explains it. You
might want to check them out.

Pug Fugley

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
Well..if you want to send a dirty, clipped, distorted, raw DC signal to a
speaker,

BTW: There is NO DC component to a clipped or distorted signal. Your amp

is
faulty if there is DC at the outputs.

And if a Zapco has DC at the output then you should do the only decent

thing
and retire it with a proper burial and funeral service, I would attend.

umm..I think the entire thread is pretty much saying that the Zapco DOES NOT
have DC coming out of it. Re-read please.

Paul Vina

No. What those magazines say is "when you drive an amp into clipping the
resulting square wave causes the average power output to rise beyond the
designed output levels". If that amount of power, whatever it may be, is
enough to blow the speaker then it'll blow. If it's not over what the
speaker can handle it'll do it all day long. You can quote magazines all
day long but I have every issue or CA&A for the last 5 years (I had about 9
years worth but I was running out of room), the last 4 years of AS&S until
they changed their name and CSR for 4 years until their name change, not to
mention all the other magazines we sold in the shop and I don't ever recall
reading what you wrote.

Paul Vina

wrote in message

link.net...

[...]

Paul Vina

"Pug Fugley" wrote in message
link.net...

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
Well..if you want to send a dirty, clipped, distorted, raw DC signal to

speaker,

BTW: There is NO DC component to a clipped or distorted signal. Your amp

is
faulty if there is DC at the outputs.

And if a Zapco has DC at the output then you should do the only decent

thing
and retire it with a proper burial and funeral service, I would attend.

umm..I think the entire thread is pretty much saying that the Zapco DOES

NOT
have DC coming out of it. Re-read please.

It will if it the outputs go out on it. If it's working correctly it won't.
Saying a Zapco will never put out a DC signal is just silly.

Paul Vina

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message

"Pug Fugley" wrote in message
link.net...

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
Well..if you want to send a dirty, clipped, distorted, raw DC signal

speaker,

BTW: There is NO DC component to a clipped or distorted signal. Your

amp
is
faulty if there is DC at the outputs.

And if a Zapco has DC at the output then you should do the only

decent
thing
and retire it with a proper burial and funeral service, I would

attend.

umm..I think the entire thread is pretty much saying that the Zapco DOES

NOT
have DC coming out of it. Re-read please.

It will if it the outputs go out on it. If it's working correctly it

won't.
Saying a Zapco will never put out a DC signal is just silly.

err..I think you missed the joke.

ziiiiiiing!!

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
No. What those magazines say is "when you drive an amp into clipping the
resulting square wave causes the average power output to rise beyond the
designed output levels". If that amount of power, whatever it may be, is
enough to blow the speaker then it'll blow. If it's not over what the
speaker can handle it'll do it all day long. You can quote magazines all
day long but I have every issue or CA&A for the last 5 years (I had about

9
years worth but I was running out of room), the last 4 years of AS&S until
they changed their name and CSR for 4 years until their name change, not

mention all the other magazines we sold in the shop and I don't ever

recall
reading what you wrote.

Paul Vina

So you're saying that an amplifier overdriven into clipping can in no way
damage a speaker no matter what?

Soundfreak03

umm..I think the entire thread is pretty much saying that the Zapco DOES NOT
have DC coming out of it. Re-read please.

Very good. I was making the joke that is a Zapco has DC on the outputs then it
has served its purpose and given its life for the cause of good sound and
should be dealt with appropriatly. That was the joke.

Les
Paul Vina

Not at all. If the amount of power the amp makes while clipping exceeds the
speakers thermal limits it will fail. If it doesn't it'll run all day long.
All you need to do is think of an amp that's clipping like larger amp
because to the speaker that's all it is.

Paul Vina

"Pug Fugley" wrote in message
link.net...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Soundfreak03

I've seen it, and every magazine article I've read about it explains it. You
might want to check them ou

Bull****!! Which one? What issue? Give me some quotes. And then explain thier
scientific reasoning behind it.
YOU CANT. And that is why you will not answer the question. You dont know and
you wont admit it. Your in way over your head here. Either bring some facts to
the matter or shut up. You believe in audio myths.

Les

Paul Vina

Bull****!! Which one? What issue? Give me some quotes. And then explain
thier
scientific reasoning behind it.
YOU CANT. And that is why you will not answer the question. You dont know

and
you wont admit it. Your in way over your head here. Either bring some

facts to
the matter or shut up. You believe in audio myths.

Les

ouch. True, but ouch.

Paul Vina

Soundfreak03

So you're saying that an amplifier overdriven into clipping can in no way
damage a speaker no matter what?

NO. Noone said that. BUT there are limited situations with MANY variables at
work. Clipping in and of itself will 99% of the time NOT cause damage. You have
to compound the problem with other things, read my first post in this thread
for some of the examples. And if you still want to argue then present some
facts, the whole "I saw it happen" is a bunch of bull said by ignorant people
who dont know what they are talking about. Now you can either be one of those
people or attempt to talk scientifically and factually and maybe gain some
credibility, right now yours is shot.

Les
Soundfreak03

Bull****!! Which one? What issue? Give me some quotes. And then explain
thier
scientific reasoning behind it.
YOU CANT. And that is why you will not answer the question. You dont know

and
you wont admit it. Your in way over your head here. Either bring some

facts to
the matter or shut up. You believe in audio myths.

Les

ouch. True, but ouch.

Paul Vina

I cannot tell a lie

I was nice for a while but dont have the patience for the typical "I saw it
happen" or "All the magazines say so" bull.
I try and disspell the audio myths and this is one of the big ones. And they
can listen or not but if they want to argue then they better have some facts
with them. Hope it wasnt too harsh, but it is only the truth.

Les

Mark Zarella

Pug Fugley wrote:
[...]

Read my post again. I said nothing about blowing speakers. I think
you're confusing me with the other guy.

By the way, the other guy is right.

Mark Zarella

I think you heard me wrong.

Underpowering a speaker will NOT blow it..

Even if the amplifier is clipping? Then we're in agreement.

what the hell is 'underpowering' a
speaker, anyway?!?!

"Underpowering" is a term devised by people who don't know anything
about basic electronics theory. Soundfreak is obviously pretty sick of
those types of people.

Buying a 25 watt Pyramid amp, then driving it into distortion and clipping
tyring to make it drive a 15" sub can blow it.

Only if the subwoofer is unable to handle ~35 watts (a guesstimate of
the likely output of a 25 watt Pyramid driven well into clipping) at the
"duty cycle" (so to speak) of the saturation. In simpler terms, if you
exceed the thermal limits of the speaker, you'll fry it. If you don't,
then it doesn't matter what kind of wave you deliver to it - square
wave, triangle wave, whatever.

Pug Fugley

[...]

To be honest with you, I couldn't really give a flying ****. I have better
things to do with my life.

Pug Fugley

[...]

I'll bet you have a green pen for your CD's, eh? Figures.

Pug Fugley

Pug Fugley wrote:

Read my post again. I said nothing about blowing speakers. I think
you're confusing me with the other guy.

By the way, the other guy is right.

So you're saying a clipped, overdriven-until-death amp will NEVER EVER NEVER
damage a speaker???

Mark Zarella

Pug Fugley wrote:

Read my post again. I said nothing about blowing speakers. I think
you're confusing me with the other guy.

By the way, the other guy is right.

So you're saying a clipped, overdriven-until-death amp will NEVER EVER NEVER
damage a speaker???

Is your reading comprehension that poor?? When did soundfreak or I say
that a clipped signal will not blow a speaker? He simply said that
clipping *"in and of itself"* will not blow a speaker. Power is the
only thing that fries speakers. If you exceed the power threshold for a
given speaker, then you'll fry it. Whether or not the amplifier is
clipping has no effect. This is in contrast to your initial assertion
that clipping is harmful to speakers. It can be, yes, but only if the
power content is high enough.

It's like if you were to say that Metallica is harmful to speakers. A
ridiculous assertion of course. Though you CAN blow speakers playing
Metallica as long as the power content exceeds what the speakers are
capable of safely handling.

Pug Fugley

Pug Fugley wrote:

Read my post again. I said nothing about blowing speakers. I think
you're confusing me with the other guy.

By the way, the other guy is right.

So you're saying a clipped, overdriven-until-death amp will NEVER EVER

NEVER
damage a speaker???

Is your reading comprehension that poor?? When did soundfreak or I say
that a clipped signal will not blow a speaker? He simply said that
clipping *"in and of itself"* will not blow a speaker. Power is the
only thing that fries speakers.

Bull****. I can fry a speaker with straight DC voltage.

Pug Fugley

Pug Fugley wrote:

It's like if you were to say that Metallica is harmful to speakers. A
ridiculous assertion of course. Though you CAN blow speakers playing
Metallica as long as the power content exceeds what the speakers are
capable of safely handling.

There's a major difference in recorded guitar distortion and the distortion
created by an amp being overdriven beyond it's limits. I'm shocked you
didn't know that already.

Paul Vina

Read my post again. I said nothing about blowing speakers. I think
you're confusing me with the other guy.

By the way, the other guy is right.

So you're saying a clipped, overdriven-until-death amp will NEVER EVER

NEVER
damage a speaker???

Only if the amount of power it puts out when clipping is over the speakers
thermal limits. The speakers in my laptop see nothing but a clipped signal
and they haven't blown yet.

Paul Vina

Soundfreak03

To be honest with you, I couldn't really give a flying ****. I have better
things to do with my life.

In other wordsm you have no clue what the hell you are talking about. Figures.
Just another dumbass without a clue.

Les
Soundfreak03

So you're saying a clipped, overdriven-until-death amp will NEVER EVER NEVER
damage a speaker???

Noone said that. Are you really that much of a dumbass??
IF, and only IF, the amplifier delivers more power than the speaker can handle
while being clipped will it damage a speaker. It happens WAY LESS than you
think it does.

Do you care to answer the questions I asked? Like how does a clipped amp "pop a
voice coil"? And why you think that clipping is always going to damage the
speakers?

But you wont answer, and not because you dont have the time, but because you
are an idiot without a clue.

Les