TUBELOVER

Default non polar/bipolar capacitors

are non polar and bipolar capacitors interchangeable. are they effectively the
same creature or are there truly significant differences in their application?
rg
TUBELOVER

in my question I meant is there any difference between bipolar electrolytic
and nonpolar electrolytic capacitors
rg
Barry Mann

In , on 08/22/04
at 10:26 PM, (TUBELOVER) said:

in my question I meant is there any difference between bipolar
electrolytic and nonpolar electrolytic capacitors
rg

Electrolytics are smaller than the other types for a given value of
capacitance. This becomes significant for larger values typically used
in power supplies and loudspeakers.

Unfortunately, the chemical paste used in the electrolytic's insulator
is polarity sensitive and will break down if voltage is applied in the
wrong direction. This makes electrolytics a poor choice for the the AC
signals processed in speaker crossovers. Fortunately, connecting two
capacitors in series in the (++) or (--) configuration cures the
problem, but requires about twice the volume. There is no fundamental
reason why other types of capacitors can't be used in speaker
crossovers (many feel that speakers sound better when we do), but
electrolytics are smaller and cheaper.

In applications requiring extremely low leakage, excellent high
frequency characteristics, or close capacitance tolerances,
electrolytics are a poor choice. Over time (typically decades for
modern electrolytics) the chemical paste tends to dry out and the
capacitor will slowly decrease in value and fail.

spam:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Geoff Wood

TUBELOVER wrote:
are non polar and bipolar capacitors interchangeable. are they
effectively the same creature or are there truly significant
differences in their application? rg

Not so much interchangable s the same thing.

geoff

mica capacitors! Johan Wagener Tech 11 June 25th 04 02:32 PM
Recommend crossover capacitors, values? Steve Cohn High End Audio 20 October 18th 03 07:05 PM
CAPACITORS good inexexpensive? Soundfreak03 Car Audio 7 July 23rd 03 09:50 PM