John A. Weeks III

Default Newbie Question ... hooking up two speakers to one ouput?

In article , Harry Muscle
wrote:

I'm really new to everything to do with speakers, but I just have one quick
question. I have a 6.1 speaker setup. However, I would like to duplicate
the front center channel in another room using the rear center speaker. The
front center speaker is rated at 20W, while the rear center is rated at 8W.
The front center ouput is matched to the speaker, so it's rated at 20W. If
I were to connected the rear center speaker (8W) along with the front center
speaker (20W) to the front center output (20W), would I blow the rear center
speaker?

The "watts" ratings on most speakers means little or nothing. It is
the maximum amount of audio power that the speaker can run with before
it burns up. What does matter is the amount of "ohms" that your
speakers have, ie, the impedeance. Most amplifiers are set up for
a load of 8 ohms. Speakers are typically 8 ohms or 4 ohms. If your
two speakers are 4 ohms, connect them in series (amp + to center +,
center - to rear +, rear - to amp -). If your speakers are 8 ohms or
higher, it is probably best to hook them in parallel (amp + to both
speakers +, amp - to both speakers -). While this will give you sound,
you have no way to control the volume of each speaker -- both go up
or down in loudness when you adjust your main volume. Another problem
is that these 2 speakers may not be equally as efficient. That is,
one might make more sound for a given amount of audio power, leading
to one of the being much louder than the other. Be careful with your
wiring--if you short the + and - wires anywhere, you can blow your
amplifier.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Josh Snider

The "watts" ratings on most speakers means little or nothing. It is
the maximum amount of audio power that the speaker can run with before
it burns up. What does matter is the amount of "ohms" that your
speakers have, ie, the impedeance. Most amplifiers are set up for
a load of 8 ohms. Speakers are typically 8 ohms or 4 ohms. If your
two speakers are 4 ohms, connect them in series (amp + to center +,
center - to rear +, rear - to amp -). If your speakers are 8 ohms or
higher, it is probably best to hook them in parallel (amp + to both
speakers +, amp - to both speakers -).

Just make sure the amp can handle a 4 ohm load. Most consumer products
can't drive anything below 8 ohms.

josh.snider
cave.productions
416.524.6927

Todd H.

"Harry Muscle" writes:
I'm really new to everything to do with speakers, but I just have one quick
question. I have a 6.1 speaker setup. However, I would like to duplicate
the front center channel in another room using the rear center speaker. The
front center speaker is rated at 20W, while the rear center is rated at 8W.
The front center ouput is matched to the speaker, so it's rated at 20W. If
I were to connected the rear center speaker (8W) along with the front center
speaker (20W) to the front center output (20W), would I blow the rear center
speaker?

That depends entirely on what you do with the volume control.

My bigger concern is whether that center channel you're planning on
hanging two speakers off of can handle the impdance of those two
speakers in parallel.

Look at the impedances from the specs of the center and rear center
speaker from your speaker manuals. multiply these two numbers
together and divide by the sum of these two numbers.
e.g. let's say they're both 6ohms, then 6*6/(6+6)=3. The result
here is the equivalent impedance of those two speakers connected in
parallel.

Now ompare that number to minimum impedance rating of the center
channel from your receiver's specifications. If the equivalent
impedance number you got above is smaller than what your receiver
specs say, don't do it. You'll drive that channel into thermal
overload at best.

To give you a recommendation of a better approach, I need to know more
what you intend to watch and listen in the other room. The best
solution involves a second amplifier, of course. Or maybe a low cost
all-in-one stereo system or boombox with detachable speakers that has
a line input that can be fed by our main system's line output...or
something like that.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H