Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Power Wedge and line conditioners

I have this approach to Line Conditioners:

a) Where there is a genuine need, significant fluctuation in voltage, or a =
lot of noise on a line due to shared equipment, motors, various industrial =
applications, many VFDs or other devices, Line Conditioners serve a genuine=
need. These are generally predictable applications in any case.=20

b) The nearest electrical source to me is approximately 30 miles away, but =
most of the power we use comes from Limerick, PA (Nuke), or the wind-farm i=
n Columbia County, PA. So, between 30 and 100 miles as the crow flies. Via =
miles and miles and miles of aluminum and copper. Transformed four (4) time=
s until it arrives at our house at a reasonably steady 118 VAC at the wallp=
late. Most of the items I operate have decent power-supplies, and can toler=
ate a certain amount of sag and a certain amount of 'normal' noise. A line =
conditioner would be redundant.

If that changes, I will invest in one.=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

On 5/30/2017 12:21 PM, Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

Agreed. In my decades as a pro sound engineer where I plugged in the
recording or PA gear into whatever AC was available, I found that using
power conditioners eliminated a lot of problems.

For home usage? Well, if you have problematic AC you only have to fix
it once (as opposed to fixing it for every gig) and maybe a power
conditioner is the right approach.

If not, it's like installing a sump pump in the basement when your
basement never takes on water. It might make you feel better, but it's
basically a waste of money.

--
//Walt